Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Bought out by sports washing group.

Will you stand by Liverpool if?

Read 12371 times
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,180 posts | 1385 
      Re: Will you stand by Liverpool if?
      Reply #161: Jan 31, 2023 04:37:14 pm
      I'd be happier seeing us 9th (or lower still) than having to look up to the owner sitting in the main stand, knowing that same person was an integral member of a ruling State elite that sanctioned( or even turned a blind eye to...) the execution and torture of innocent people.
      I'm still baffled how people are equating Gulf ownership with a guaranteed path to success. As more and more clubs are owned and backed with endless resources of cash, those days of one or two clubs sitting at the top of the league every year vanishes.
      An analogy: Let's say The Premier league is made up of 15 sporty cars of broadly equal performance, 3 cars are bangers, and 2 cars are supercars at the cutting edge of technology. The 2 supercars are owned by people who can never run out of money...ever. They replace the supercars with other supercars every season they will continue to dominate. But what happens when those other 15/18 cars are replaced with supercars?....Well the first two supercar's days of guaranteed dominance are gone. No club will have that dominance that exists now. The whole league is then owned by men from countries where ordinary people, like you and me, get killed, often for nothing more than articulating an opinion.

The planet is awash with dirty money. To avoid it you'd almost have to live in a cave. It's too late, the principled horse has bolted, in Sport and in society. We play week in week out and in Europe against dirty money. The protest is now more or less meaningless.

Flogging a dead horse.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #162: Jan 31, 2023 04:51:40 pm

And a half decent sports science department plus physios!!!
      Harrisimo

• 8,180 posts | 1385 
      Reply #163: Jan 31, 2023 04:58:14 pm
      Passive disempowered apathetic acceptance or proactive protesting acceptance, makes little difference in the long run. But nobody is forcing us to stay loyal to the club, but we are emotionally trapped. In my case I blame me Dad.

I have 2 sons. I didn't actively encourage them to follow LFC or football. They decided for themselves and both have no interest in the game.

For the vast majority, leaving this club behind would mean we'd have to have our hard drive swiped clean.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #164: Jan 31, 2023 05:02:18 pm
      Passive disempowered apathetic acceptance or proactive protesting acceptance, makes little difference in the long run. But nobody is forcing us to stay loyal to stay club, but we are emotionally trapped. In my case I blame me Dad.

I have 2 sons. I didn't actively encourage them to follow LFC or football. They decided for themselves and both have no interest in the game.

For the vast majority, leaving this club behind would mean we'd have to have our hard drive swiped clean.

Sounds like a Met bizzie resignation letter!! :laugh:
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #165: Jan 31, 2023 07:01:20 pm
      I'd be happier seeing us 9th (or lower still) than having to look up to the owner sitting in the main stand, knowing that same person was an integral member of a ruling State elite that sanctioned( or even turned a blind eye to...) the execution and torture of innocent people.
      I'm still baffled how people are equating Gulf ownership with a guaranteed path to success. As more and more clubs are owned and backed with endless resources of cash, those days of one or two clubs sitting at the top of the league every year vanishes.
      An analogy: Let's say The Premier league is made up of 15 sporty cars of broadly equal performance, 3 cars are bangers, and 2 cars are supercars at the cutting edge of technology. The 2 supercars are owned by people who can never run out of money...ever. They replace the supercars with other supercars every season they will continue to dominate. But what happens when those other 15/18 cars are replaced with supercars?....Well the first two supercar's days of guaranteed dominance are gone. No club will have that dominance that exists now. The whole league is then owned by men from countries where ordinary people, like you and me, get killed, often for nothing more than articulating an opinion.

At the moment, we are a second hand car and going into the 200,000km on the clock.

To be exact, an Alfa Romeo. We looked good and were good but not reliable anymore.

So now I prefer to be a car made in cheap labour because if we do not do it, we won't be competitive or another car company will take the investment themselves.

Do not play it as if you're a virgin.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,198 posts | 736 
      Reply #166: Jan 31, 2023 07:48:49 pm
      At the moment, we are a second hand car and going into the 200,000km on the clock.

To be exact, an Alfa Romeo. We looked good and were good but not reliable anymore.

So now I prefer to be a car made in cheap labour because if we do not do it, we won't be competitive or another car company will take the investment themselves.

Do not play it as if you're a virgin.
      If we were a shining Ferrari last term, then now we are still a Ferrari, but the engine needs a retune and without doubt a few new parts....We're not the clapped out banger ready for the scrap heap you suggest.... Also with Klopp we have a master technician overseeing the project. I concede it will be difficult without the serious amount of funds needed being made available.

Dropping the automotive analogy  for a minute: There is plenty of scope for investment into Liverpool Football Club without it being drenched in the blood of innocent people. 81 men executed in one day in Saudi A. Come on you can't have these people anywhere near Anfield. We are a city of tolerance, a beacon of what's right and just. There is another way.
      Crunchycrisps
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts | 85 
      Reply #167: Jan 31, 2023 09:00:31 pm
      If we start doing shady fake sponsorship deals with companies set up by oil state owners aka Man City then yes my heart will go out of the game altogether. Not into cheating.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #168: Jan 31, 2023 09:25:24 pm
      Nothing will stop me from supporting this club. If the Atlantic Ocean and 3500 miles didn't do it and Hicks and Gillette. Then new owners won't do it either.
      Unfortunately this is the state of World football now. You either spend money to compete or you slowly die and become irrelevant and get excited for a league cup semi every 6 years. Regardless of our form this season Liverpool are still considered a crown jewel in European Football.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,873 posts | 2694 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #169: Jan 31, 2023 10:42:17 pm
      If we start doing shady fake sponsorship deals with companies set up by oil state owners aka Man City then yes my heart will go out of the game altogether. Not into cheating.

So what did you do when standard charter was one of your sponsors?
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,605 posts | 140 
      Reply #170: Jan 31, 2023 10:55:08 pm
      Honestly, we should built a statue of Coutinho outside of Anfield. His sale was the reason why we went on to win everything under Klopp.

F**k Fenway sh*te Group. Sell up and focus on your dumb sport and leave the club  alone.
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,605 posts | 140 
      Reply #171: Jan 31, 2023 10:55:57 pm

Nothing cause the moral guys are hypocrites.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,198 posts | 736 
      Reply #172: Feb 01, 2023 12:26:54 am
      When were Standard Chartered linked with executing people?
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,605 posts | 140 
      Reply #173: Feb 01, 2023 12:41:51 am
      When were Standard Chartered linked with executing people?

When did Qatar execute someone ?
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,198 posts | 736 
      Reply #174: Feb 01, 2023 10:22:43 am
      May 2020. I don't think you can defend the Human Rights violations of Qatar....You can be flogged for drinking alcohol FFS
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 562 posts | 128 
      Reply #175: Feb 01, 2023 11:46:45 am
      If we were a shining Ferrari last term, then now we are still a Ferrari, but the engine needs a retune and without doubt a few new parts....We're not the clapped out banger ready for the scrap heap you suggest.... Also with Klopp we have a master technician overseeing the project. I concede it will be difficult without the serious amount of funds needed being made available.

Dropping the automotive analogy  for a minute: There is plenty of scope for investment into Liverpool Football Club without it being drenched in the blood of innocent people. 81 men executed in one day in Saudi A. Come on you can't have these people anywhere near Anfield. We are a city of tolerance, a beacon of what's right and just. There is another way.

and the new ECU we require wont be manufactured till next summer, but unfortunately when next summer arrives a customer in Spain will pay more for it and no other ECU will work
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 562 posts | 128 
      Reply #176: Feb 01, 2023 12:39:56 pm

and the new ECU we require wont be manufactured till next summer, but unfortunately when next summer arrives a customer in Spain will pay more for it and no other ECU will work
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,665 posts | 883 
      Reply #177: Feb 01, 2023 12:43:09 pm
      May 2020. I don't think you can defend the Human Rights violations of Qatar....You can be flogged for drinking alcohol FFS

Well no one execute more people then the American prison system. There is a good argument for that America also is violating human rights for black people, trans and so on. So no American owners either then?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,697 posts | 3365 
      Reply #178: Feb 01, 2023 12:48:21 pm
      Well no one execute more people then the American prison system. There is a good argument for that America also is violating human rights for black people, trans and so on. So no American owners either then?

Do our American owners carry out those executions 🤷‍♂️
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,665 posts | 883 
      Reply #179: Feb 01, 2023 01:19:34 pm
      Do our American owners carry out those executions 🤷‍♂️

So do the Arab investment groups go and execute people in their spare time? the points stands. I love how we first world people, and the americans are hypocrites.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,697 posts | 3365 
      Reply #180: Feb 01, 2023 01:22:30 pm
      So do the Arab investment groups go and execute people in their spare time? the points stands. I love how we first world people, and the americans are hypocrites.

Which investment groups exactly are you talking about ?
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,665 posts | 883 
      Reply #181: Feb 01, 2023 01:30:32 pm
      Which investment groups exactly are you talking about ?

Does it matter? Do you think ANY of investment groups from middle east execute people? The state does, and so does the alot of other states.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,697 posts | 3365 
      Reply #182: Feb 01, 2023 01:45:21 pm
      Does it matter? Do you think ANY of investment groups from middle east execute people? The state does, and so does the alot of other states.

Yes it matters because many of the “investment groups” from the Middle East have direct links into the state which carry out the executions 🤷‍♂️
      Harrisimo

• 8,180 posts | 1385 
      Reply #183: Feb 01, 2023 01:55:58 pm
      Selectively applying the basic principles of justice to the potential buyers but ignoring those same principles in everyday life opens up a different argument.

It is a considered decision. Moral outrage is very commendable, but in reality that's all it comes down to. Global trade etc makes it almost impossible to know the source of most goods. And even when we know the Country, the source, we accept it as boycotting is too inconvenient.

This situation is much more clear cut. Those that walk away must be respected.

Quick Reply