Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Bought out by sports washing group.

Will you stand by Liverpool if?

Read 11989 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: Will you stand by Liverpool if?
      Reply #23: Jan 25, 2023 06:05:30 pm
      In a sense City and Newcastle are the acid test for their fans. How many have walked away? Very few because support is non negotiable. I agree that the money and all that goes with it can slightly diminish the emotional bond.

But get 2-2 with City and there's 5 minutes to go and they get a dodgy penalty...then say..ah well..

It’s unbelievable how quickly Newcastle have turned it round. Many saying it would take them 5/10 years yet after one season their on the verge of winning a cup and qualifying for the elite top 4 of the premier league,  favourites on both counts too.
      instinct
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 175 posts | 18 
      Reply #24: Jan 25, 2023 06:18:54 pm
      Sport washing the 22/23 key word. The Middle Eastern states are massively in this country already, whether It be through business or land ownership. Some major high street banks, supermarkets and other industry such as the motor industries have these states public investment funds to some degree, even if it is minority shares.

The Middle East and China are trying to get a grip on the worlds finances and making all sorts investment in ports and major cities all around, not just the western world but the whole world.

If the argument is they have disgraceful human rights record.

Why is this only mentioned in the sporting world?
      Why should their money be aloud into any business?
      « Last Edit: Jan 25, 2023 06:25:15 pm by instinct »
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #25: Jan 25, 2023 06:20:09 pm
      It’s unbelievable how quickly Newcastle have turned it round. Many saying it would take them 5/10 years yet after one season their on the verge of winning a cup and qualifying for the elite top 4 of the premier league,  favourites on both counts too.

I'm actually happy for Newcastle and the respectable way they've gone about their business compared to Chelsea when Abramovic arrived or City more recently.  How many hundreds of millions (maybe even billions) were wasted on players like Asier Del Horno, Mutu, Veron, Robinho, Roque Santa Cruz, Bony, Mangala, etc.  Newcastle have been more intelligent,  measured, and sensible with their approach and kudos to them for it. 
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #26: Jan 25, 2023 06:28:17 pm
      I'm actually happy for Newcastle and the respectable way they've gone about their business compared to Chelsea when Abramovic arrived or City more recently.  How many hundreds of millions (maybe even billions) were wasted on players like Asier Del Horno, Mutu, Veron, Robinho, Roque Santa Cruz, Bony, Mangala, etc.  Newcastle have been more intelligent,  measured, and sensible with their approach and kudos to them for it. 

I’m also a armchair fan of them.  ;D The fans deserve something after standing by them through thick and thin. Putting up with that Mike Ashley couldn’t of been easy.
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #27: Jan 25, 2023 06:46:16 pm
      I’m also a armchair fan of them.  ;D The fans deserve something after standing by them through thick and thin. Putting up with that Mike Ashley couldn’t of been easy.

Yeah, he was an absolute c**t!!  I can't imagine having to put up with that sh*t....
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,325 posts | 188 
      Reply #28: Jan 25, 2023 06:56:58 pm
      Of course

People complain about Saudis and so on but they have no issues using their oil to run their car which in turn helps them earn their money and so on

People that complain are the same people who buy clothes made in sweet shops in blood money but they use their brands and so on

An example is shell who have caused death to a lot of kids and cancer extracting oil which has gone around the world but nobody cares on that front as it’s needed

Hopefully these rich owners can be pressured to invest in the local area and make lives better etc
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #29: Jan 25, 2023 07:04:46 pm

Nearly as bad as the Tory’s but not as bent as the Tory’s, have always liked Newcastle both as a team and a place to visit, that said don’t like sports washing but if the spineless F.A. Won’t do sweet all about it then it ain’t a level playing field anymore. Money talks sh*t walks
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #30: Jan 25, 2023 07:21:02 pm

Indeed and going back a few years there was this bloke called Dalglish..pitches up at Blackburn..pockets bulging with Uncle Jack's filthy lucre and scoops up the league. Leicester C are the real deal in terms of winning the league through sheer honest pure footballing endeavour.

Oil tainted money can obviously bring success and that in turn pulls in the fans worldwide. The millions of LFC fans around the globe don't obviously have our provenance, don't worry I'm not going to bladder on about walking to the ground when I was 10.

The money men know the fans will,by and large, remain loyal. Although the local fan base has been slightly undermined by TV money, they are still vital to the deal. With billions washing through the top City teams, one thing's for sure...we'll wait a long long time for another Leicester City miracle.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,232 posts | 751 
      Reply #31: Jan 25, 2023 07:33:12 pm
      Agree the club is about the supporter, without the vast support of the fans, paying to watch the team, buying merchandise etc, there would be no club. Once a fan always a fan regardless of the owners, is my own view.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #32: Jan 25, 2023 08:32:44 pm
      Indeed and going back a few years there was this bloke called Dalglish..pitches up at Blackburn..pockets bulging with Uncle Jack's filthy lucre and scoops up the league. Leicester C are the real deal in terms of winning the league through sheer honest pure footballing endeavour.

Oil tainted money can obviously bring success and that in turn pulls in the fans worldwide. The millions of LFC fans around the globe don't obviously have our provenance, don't worry I'm not going to bladder on about walking to the ground when I was 10.

The money men know the fans will,by and large, remain loyal. Although the local fan base has been slightly undermined by TV money, they are still vital to the deal. With billions washing through the top City teams, one thing's for sure...we'll wait a long long time for another Leicester City miracle.

Even though they were funded by that Thai fella!!

I don't believe all that bullshit about the Leicester miracle.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #33: Jan 25, 2023 09:12:30 pm
      I will personally lose some level of interest in the club if we become another City/PSG. I much prefer to "build" a winning team over just "buying" one every summer.

Would also be interesting to see the gymnastics some people here would have to do after demonizing City, PSG, Newcastle and Chelsea if we became exactly like them. Would also look forward to reading the excuses when we spend hundreds of millions in a summer and miss out on league and/or CL. Right now every time a player makes a mistake is because of investment, but that excuse would go away.

Who ever takes over the reigns, be it a self made billionaire, or an oil country. We can still build a team over a couple of seasons. The difference is, the money will be there when we want it. We don't have to pay ridiculous money for players on ridiculous wages to sit on the bench like city and chavs.
      we can still do it the Liverpool way, with the right managers. And by that, I mean in the long term as well, after Jürgen has moved on.

Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #34: Jan 25, 2023 09:19:00 pm
      Even though they were funded by that Thai fella!!

I don't believe all that bullshit about the Leicester miracle.

Well there's only a few days left this month and I hadn't used up my bullsh*t quota.

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #35: Jan 25, 2023 09:20:31 pm
      In a sense City and Newcastle are the acid test for their fans. How many have walked away? Very few because support is non negotiable. I agree that the money and all that goes with it can slightly diminish the emotional bond.

But get 2-2 with City and there's 5 minutes to go and they get a dodgy penalty...then say..ah well..

Bar codes have always been well supported, but City's fan base grew enormously following the oil rich buy out, once they started wining. Shallow glory hunters with no soul and no football history worth shouting about. Look how they leave grounds early when they are losing. As fans go, they're not fans that i recognise. If the money dried up for whatever reason, and they had to build over two or three seasons, see the empty stadium then !
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #36: Jan 25, 2023 09:23:02 pm
      Well there's only a few days left this month and I hadn't used up my bullsh*t quota.

Hahaha 😆
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #37: Jan 25, 2023 09:30:42 pm
      I used to stand at the garden gate in Hanbury Road, Clubmoor. About a mile from Anfield, and used to hear the Kop roar, and I knew we'd scored.
      Then I got taken to my first match at the Annie Road end with my grandad. I was four years old. That was in 1956 ! You think i'm gonna stop supporting the Reds now, for any reason ? Not a chance. My mindset may be different, my heart a bit bruised, but i'll still be there.

Owners, Board of directors, Scouts, Managers,Trainers, Players, Whatever. Its will still be, and always will be, LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB.

Thats all I need.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #38: Jan 25, 2023 09:32:10 pm
      It’s a bit like ‘would you still love your son if you found out he was a serial killer or a vegan.’

Personally I’d probably still watch it but not with the same interest. I’d be supporting an old memory.

It’s not just about winning. It’s about how you win.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #39: Jan 25, 2023 09:42:13 pm

Put the ball in the net and everything else can be discussed after the match.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #40: Jan 25, 2023 09:50:43 pm
      Becoming state-owned would not be my first choice but it won't stop me supporting the club. This club is far more than whoever holds the pursestrings.

We are at a crossroads where we simply need to move from FSG type level of investment in the club otherwise 3-4 clubs will leave us behind with their obscene spending power. I would take being state-owned for us to stay competitive at the top table.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #41: Jan 25, 2023 09:51:31 pm
      It’s a bit like ‘would you still love your son if you found out he was a serial killer or a vegan.’

Personally I’d probably still watch it but not with the same interest. I’d be supporting an old memory.

I'd like to think you could find a way to continue to love a son who had strayed off into the dark satanic landscape of veganism....as for  serial killer, well, I think your affection might be tested somewhat.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #42: Jan 25, 2023 09:56:15 pm
      Becoming state-owned would not be my first choice but it won't stop me supporting the club. This club is far more than whoever holds the pursestrings.

We are at a crossroads where we simply need to move from FSG type level of investment in the club otherwise 3-4 clubs will leave us behind with their obscene spending power. I would take being state-owned for us to stay competitive at the top table.

My feeling to, replace FSG with Glazers and it’s a copy & paste  :D
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #43: Jan 25, 2023 10:05:30 pm
      My feeling to, replace FSG with Glazers and it’s a copy & paste  :D

But what you are saying is ‘it doesn’t matter how I compete as long as I compete.’

You can cheat with money or drugs or even bribe a referee. Sporting merit is based on a level playing field. Naturally some clubs will have more revenue than others but when your club has unlimited resources it’s no longer a sport. It’s like playing Football Manager and editing your bank account and player stats.

Certainly nothing to be proud of or sing songs about.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2050 
      Reply #44: Jan 25, 2023 10:11:43 pm
      Would I walk away? Yeah I think I would. But the reality is I feel like I already am walking away and that's everything to do with how I see top flight / Premier League football these days. It's become a circus for infantile apes on twitter/youtube to throw their sh*t at anything and everything they see for likes and views. The very big clubs are being hollowed out from the inside to act as husks for authoritarian / blood soaked regimes looking for a good PR day. But on the flip side the "benign" owners like FSG and Joe Lewis look for the next opportunity to disown history in pursuit of ££££££.   

Other clubs might not feel the contradictions of their situation as sharply these days, especially when half of them are based out on empty industrial estates on the periphery of town. But you look at Anfield, and every match day you see some of the world's best players and sport stars doing their stuff in a great stadium. Filthy rich in their dreams and money. John Henry jets off on his private plane across the Atlantic and the players and manager all head back to their mock mansions in the countryside. And then you come out of the stadium at the surrounding suburb of Anfield and think...can't they do a bit more for the city, for the community?  The stadium gets bigger, the wages get bigger, salaries get bigger, money gets bigger - it's all getting bigger. And yet within a stones throw from Anfield, people's wages are getting smaller, their houses are getting smaller and their chances in life are getting smaller.

It's troubling when you think about it? Liverpool FC, like so many other clubs, was established to sustain, revive and renew communities. That ethos has long gone but for a club like Liverpool FC, so rooted and defined by it's place, surely we can at least try to bring a bit of that back?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #45: Jan 25, 2023 10:12:38 pm
      Would I walk away? Yeah I think I would. But the reality is I feel like I already am walking away and that's everything to do with how I see top flight / Premier League football these days. It's become a circus for infantile apes on twitter/youtube to throw their sh*t at anything and everything they see for likes and views. The very big clubs are being hollowed out from the inside to act as husks for authoritarian / blood soaked regimes looking for a good PR day. But on the flip side the "benign" owners like FSG and Joe Lewis look for the next opportunity to disown history in pursuit of ££££££.   

Other clubs might not feel the contradictions of their situation as sharply these days, especially when half of them are based out on empty industrial estates on the periphery of town. But you look at Anfield, and every match day you see some of the world's best players and sport stars doing their stuff in a stadium. Filthy rich in their dreams and money. John Henry jets off on his private plane across the Atlantic and the players and manager all head back to their mock mansions in the countryside. And then you come out of the stadium at the surrounding suburb of Anfield and think...can't they do a bit more for the city, for the community?  The stadium gets bigger, the wages get bigger, salaries get bigger, money gets bigger - it all getting bigger. And yet within a stones throw from Anfield, people's wages are getting smaller, their houses are getting smaller and their chances in life are getting smaller.

Is there not something troublesome here?

This in a nutshell.

Quick Reply