Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Bought out by sports washing group.

Will you stand by Liverpool if?

Read 12584 times
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Re: Will you stand by Liverpool if?
      Reply #69: Jan 26, 2023 12:14:06 pm
      I’ve said same thing in the passed Brez, your right! Isn’t happening.  :-\

The problem is Keith, when you allow standards and morals to disappear it can lead to a really disgusting place.

Folk that don’t seem to mind where the money comes from as long as we are winning is a dangerous game, in my opinion.

Can you imagine if the new owners came in and said “we have just signed a billion pound shirt sponsor and also will rename our stadium. The new sponsor is The Sun and the stadium will now be knows as The Sun stadium.’

People might care then where the money comes from. Some of these state owned owners are persecuting and destroying communities and livelihoods daily.

I think to pick and choose which communities are ok to suffer as long as the club wins is wrong.
      But hey ho.

We should have joined the super le…….
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #70: Jan 26, 2023 12:52:14 pm
      If, and it’s a big ‘if’, the new owners allow Klopp to spend big for 3 windows and then treat it like a proper footballing business then ok, fair enough.

But if we do a city and buy £100m bench warmers or do a Chelsea and just sign thousands of strikers then that’s a different ball game.

You may well cheer when we win 20, 21, 22 etc….
      But it won’t compare to 19 when we actually pipped the  blue oil monster and ended our long wait. And we didn’t defeat them because we were a red oil monster, we defeated them because we put the effort in and had a great coach.

For me, the fact that pretty much every supporter across the land got together in disgust of the ‘super league’ idea because it would mean only the selected few could compete and that the same selected few would gain an advantage and tradition would be blown out of the water etc….shows that fans were against the greed of the nature of the proposal.

Yet now we want oil money, no matter how unethical, so we can compete with other unethical clubs.

We should have just joined the super league.

I can see the valid points your bringing up mate, really I do, but this where we differ from the other ‘Oily clubs, we WON’T be buying £100m pound bench warmers, nor will Jürgen just buy because the money is available, your opening paragraph is how I think we will operate going forward, I think we can all agree that Jürgen is a builder rather than a buyer, (I use this term loosely) cos obviously he will spend, but you’ll know what I mean, I doubt having the finances we all expect will change how Jürgen operates, he’ll simply have the means to buy whoever he feels will make us better, and that for me is the best way going forward,

Of course, fans, pundits and the like from outside of L4 will pontificate on how we have become no better than your ‘A’ typical plastic club and call us hypocritical, but who the f**k has ever cares what others think of us, we don’t now so why would we if we’re loaded ?

The winning of No 19 was always gonna be extra special for obvious reasons, having to wait 30 years for any trophy would feel the same, had we retained the title I doubt we’d all experience the same level of hysteria, equally satisfying of course but not the same,

Going forward from here, we’ll still not be the Red oil monster, but simply the same hard working side with the best coach on the planet, with the added luxury of being able to bring the highest quality individuals who will help maintain our seat at the top tables, but only when and if our manager deems it necessary to do so,

For me it’s simple, if you want to see your club competing for major honours its gonna costs millions, millions FSG clearly won’t spend, and if that means investment coming in from oily states, so be it, it’s just the way of the world unfortunately, we could go on and on going round in circles debating this and that, but at the end of the day it’s about winning and I think all of us want LFC winning, and for that to happen we need to be keeping up with the Jones’s, we’re not gonna beat them in our current situation, so joining them is the only way to match their ambitions!!

PS, Can’t believe some of us are agreeing with that Cnut Keith  :f_doh:  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Hope over Fear !! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Y  N  W  A
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #71: Jan 26, 2023 01:04:45 pm

I can see the valid points your bringing up mate, really I do, but this where we differ from the other ‘Oily clubs, we WON’T be buying £100m pound bench warmers, nor will Jürgen just buy because the money is available, your opening paragraph is how I think we will operate going forward, I think we can all agree that Jürgen is a builder rather than a buyer, (I use this term loosely) cos obviously he will spend, but you’ll know what I mean, I doubt having the finances we all expect will change how Jürgen operates, he’ll simply have the means to buy whoever he feels will make us better, and that for me is the best way going forward,

Of course, fans, pundits and the like from outside of L4 will pontificate on how we have become no better than your ‘A’ typical plastic club and call us hypocritical, but who the f**k has ever cares what others think of us, we don’t now so why would we if we’re loaded ?

The winning of No 19 was always gonna be extra special for obvious reasons, having to wait 30 years for any trophy would feel the same, had we retained the title I doubt we’d all experience the same level of hysteria, equally satisfying of course but not the same,

Going forward from here, we’ll still not be the Red oil monster, but simply the same hard working side with the best coach on the planet, with the added luxury of being able to bring the highest quality individuals who will help maintain our seat at the top tables, but only when and if our manager deems it necessary to do so,

For me it’s simple, if you want to see your club competing for major honours its gonna costs millions, millions FSG clearly won’t spend, and if that means investment coming in from oily states, so be it, it’s just the way of the world unfortunately, we could go on and on going round in circles debating this and that, but at the end of the day it’s about winning and I think all of us want LFC winning, and for that to happen we need to be keeping up with the Jones’s, we’re not gonna beat them in our current situation, so joining them is the only way to match their ambitions!!

PS, Can’t believe some of us are agreeing with that Cnut Keith  :f_doh:  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Hope over Fear !! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Y  N  W  A

And I’d be happy with that scenario… as long as we have a Klopp the builder type manager and not a Jose the buyer.

And as for Keith, I can’t believe people actually meet up with him!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 17,002 posts | 2713 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #72: Jan 26, 2023 02:04:37 pm

And as for Keith, I can’t believe people actually meet up with him!

You’d be surprised how many Bob.  :lmao:
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 17,002 posts | 2713 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #73: Jan 26, 2023 02:06:05 pm

Hope over Fear  !! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Y  N  W  A

Excuse me! Keith the Kunt to you.  :f_whistle:

Has a ring to it   ;D
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 17,002 posts | 2713 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #74: Jan 26, 2023 02:13:31 pm
      Interesting the poll currently showing 19% would walk away. Didn’t think it would be that high all though expect numbers to drop if silverware arrived.    ;D
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,703 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #75: Jan 26, 2023 02:32:23 pm
      Atrocities will continue, but that doesn't mean Our football club has to align itself with States that actively do that stuff as part of their outdated and backward policies...LFC becoming a De facto sponsor of intolerance...The very opposite of what we stand for.
      Values haven't been washed away years ago.
      Also, It is not an Islamic idea, or tradition to execute journalists/academics whose crime was to highlight injustice. The comment about US funding by War is, with respect nonsense.

Nonsense? So when the Americans do it, it's fine but other countries not.

Bring the Middle East owner now before they takeover other club. We need to win trophies not be social justice team.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #76: Jan 26, 2023 03:31:49 pm
      It's pretty hard to take a hardline stance against corruption these days. You point your fingers at one organization all the while you are most likely supporting corruption in some other way that you completely missed.

I saw a video the other day, two guys having a conversation about this type of topic. One guy railing against human rights abuses and how you need to stand up against organizations that partake in that sort of behavior. The other guy basically calls him out and says "Do you have a cell phone? Are you wearing imported clothing? Do you drive an electric car?". He pointed out how basically the typical person probably supports companies or products that will ultimately be in business due to human slavery or shady business practices. He postulated that the typical person (such as myself) probably relies on the slavery of 20-30 humans for the things that we use every day.

When you look at things like that, I guess supporting a football club owned by a terrorist state or a human rights abusing organization isn't much different...just on a bigger scale.

On the other hand, there's the old analogy of the stranded starfish on the beach. A family was walking on the beach and it was littered with starfish that had gotten stuck after high tide. As far as the eye could see. The child started picking them up and throwing them back, the parents said to her "What are you doing, you'll never be able to save them all" and the little girl says "Maybe not but I can save that one and that will make a difference".

I really don't know where I stand on the ownership thing. For me, my connection to a club that's thousands of miles from where I live is really knowing the players, loving watching what they do on the pitch, the banter and discussions with all the good people on this forum. In fact, it's a little bit mind blowing to me that I can regularly converse with people from all over the world, like they are right here in the room with me. It's an amazing thing to me that something like a football club can bring people together in that way. I'd hate to lose that connection to real people because of who buys the club. But I guess I'll have to see what happens and figure out where I stand once something actually takes place.

I do hope that we aren't bought by someone that's got a blatant record of being bad, bad folks. But if we are bought by someone like Qatar we certainly won't have much of a right to throw insults at City or Newcastle or Chelsea.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #77: Jan 26, 2023 04:15:35 pm
      Interesting the poll currently showing 19% would walk away. Didn’t think it would be that high all though expect numbers to drop if silverware arrived.    ;D

Ok Keith my last question to you.
      In the news thread HuytonRed copied a story where an insurance company called DeadHappy made an advert with a picture of dr shipman and the tagline ‘insurance-you never know who your doctor might be.”

If you went to OT tomorrow and there was a massive advertisement from DeadHappy selling travel insurance with a tagline ‘because you never know when your plane will crash” (with a picture of Munich behind it)….. would you be ok with that knowing that the £100m it cost them has just bought you Bellingham? Or would you say “no! Stick your money where the sun don’t shine!”
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 17,002 posts | 2713 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #78: Jan 26, 2023 04:55:51 pm
      The problem is Keith, when you allow standards and morals to disappear it can lead to a really disgusting place.

Folk that don’t seem to mind where the money comes from as long as we are winning is a dangerous game, in my opinion.

Can you imagine if the new owners came in and said “we have just signed a billion pound shirt sponsor and also will rename our stadium. The new sponsor is The Sun and the stadium will now be knows as The Sun stadium.’

People might care then where the money comes from. Some of these state owned owners are persecuting and destroying communities and livelihoods daily.

I think to pick and choose which communities are ok to suffer as long as the club wins is wrong.
      But hey ho.

We should have joined the super le…….

Well I know if the S*n were involved you’d have crowds like Covid again so obviously not happening. I honestly think no matter what your opinion is on this it isn’t wrong be it yes or no. For me it’s respected as I think as fans it’s a catch 22 for us all.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #79: Jan 26, 2023 05:00:15 pm
      Well I know if the S*n were involved you’d have crowds like Covid again so obviously not happening. I honestly think no matter what your opinion is on this it isn’t wrong be it yes or no. For me it’s respected as I think as fans it’s a catch 22 for us all.

Aye. You must admit though that the hypocrisy of not wanting to join a super league is funny!

If Liverpool sold out I’d still watch it. I just wouldn’t feel much pride
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 17,002 posts | 2713 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #80: Jan 26, 2023 05:06:03 pm
      Ok Keith my last question to you.
      In the news thread HuytonRed copied a story where an insurance company called DeadHappy made an advert with a picture of dr shipman and the tagline ‘insurance-you never know who your doctor might be.”

If you went to OT tomorrow and there was a massive advertisement from DeadHappy selling travel insurance with a tagline ‘because you never know when your plane will crash” (with a picture of Munich behind it)….. would you be ok with that knowing that the £100m it cost them has just bought you Bellingham? Or would you say “no! Stick your money where the sun don’t shine!”

Not read HR post but based on what you’ve said obviously the latter by choice. Like I’ve already  said there’s no right or wrong answer to this thread, fans are put in a awkward position on this one.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,310 posts | 775 
      Reply #81: Jan 26, 2023 05:25:43 pm
      Nonsense? So when the Americans do it, it's fine but other countries not.

Bring the Middle East owner now before they takeover other club. We need to win trophies not be social justice team.
      You need to expand on your point, Americans do what exactly? There seems to be a school of thought here that loads of football clubs are owned by philistines, therefore we should join the party or else we'll be cast into football oblivion ... a sort of if you can't beat em etc.etc. Having navigated ourselves through the enlightenment into an age of reason and truth, I still believe in the power of the common good. LFC should remain a beacon, a symbol of dignity, it's at our core. We would still compete and we might still even win. We shouldn't have an executive sitting amongst us, who the week before sat quietly as an innocent man/woman was put to death. Would I continue to support the club?...It's hard to know, it's so ingrained in your life...can you just close it down? I'm not so sure. Let's hope the question never needs answering.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #82: Jan 26, 2023 07:01:43 pm
      Asking for a friend  :lmao: You do have a way with words Pete, bit like Billythecnut  :lmao:

I was taking the piss slightly ;)
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,703 posts | 3716 
      Reply #83: Jan 26, 2023 07:43:22 pm
      You need to expand on your point, Americans do what exactly? There seems to be a school of thought here that loads of football clubs are owned by philistines, therefore we should join the party or else we'll be cast into football oblivion ... a sort of if you can't beat em etc.etc. Having navigated ourselves through the enlightenment into an age of reason and truth, I still believe in the power of the common good. LFC should remain a beacon, a symbol of dignity, it's at our core. We would still compete and we might still even win. We shouldn't have an executive sitting amongst us, who the week before sat quietly as an innocent man/woman was put to death. Would I continue to support the club?...It's hard to know, it's so ingrained in your life...can you just close it down? I'm not so sure. Let's hope the question never needs answering.

Americans aren't holy and virgins.

They always were opportunistic and invaded countries for oil. When their economy plateaus, they invent a war to feed the weapon industry.

Middle East countries are not holy too but with us or not they will do the same. And not all Arabs are extremists.

So you won't be happy seeing our club competitive for any player, winning trophies.

We are a football team not the UN.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #84: Jan 26, 2023 07:51:05 pm

They always were opportunistic and invaded countries for oil. When their economy plateaus, they invent a war to feed the weapon industry.

Middle East countries are not holy too but with us or not they will do the same. And not all Arabs are extremists.

So you won't be happy seeing our club competitive for any player, winning trophies.

Regardless of how you feel about the US govt, it is not them buying teams. It's private citizens.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 17,002 posts | 2713 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #85: Jan 26, 2023 07:57:11 pm

Obviously  ;D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #86: Jan 26, 2023 08:08:28 pm

Seems to be the stupid argument!!

Problem is people taking this to extremes, when in truth most going the game view the owners as still better than the previous owners, hence why there isn't mass demonstrations or protests.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #87: Jan 26, 2023 08:12:59 pm
      Quote from: Bill Shankly
      “At a football club, there’s a holy trinity – the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don’t come into it. They are only there to sign the checks.”

They were the days eh?

Nowadays football fans spend more time discussing the boardroom than the football pitch.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,703 posts | 3716 
      Reply #88: Jan 26, 2023 08:26:43 pm
      Seems to be the stupid argument!!

Problem is people taking this to extremes, when in truth most going the game view the owners as still better than the previous owners, hence why there isn't mass demonstrations or protests.

I never said that our owners should be crucified. Go to their thread and I said if it wasn't for them, we would not have won the league because they brought klopp on board.

FSG did the best they could, thanks for that!

I am not anti-FSG. Just pro-MiddleEastern.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,027 posts | 529 
      Reply #89: Jan 26, 2023 08:52:20 pm
      "Will you stand by Liverpool...?" is heavily loading the question. No supporter wants to say they won't stand by their club.

And implicit in the question is that standing by your club means just carrying on as normal. But, if your club is in the wrong hands, then it could be that eg a boycott of merchandise, or even games, is standing by your club.

Personally, if we get taken over by sports washers, at the very least I will cancel my Sky subscription. A boycott of Sky hits the EPL rather than just our club, but it gives an incentive for the FA, EPL and individual clubs to start actually applying "fit and proper persons" rules etc. And also to apply FFP rules against sugar daddies. To be honest, we should probably already be boycotting subscription footy on TV in protest at City, Newcastle etc.

I also, at a minimum, wont buy club merch if we become a sports washing front.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,288 posts | 1402 
      Reply #90: Jan 26, 2023 09:00:24 pm
      It's a bit much in one sense us looking down on Newcastle or taking the high moral ground. We have 'never' had to experience years of being in the doldrums. Decades of winning sod all. Fans sticking by their team through thin and thin.

Fans are no different from 'civilians' in that none of us are really 'clean'. How many of us spend any time checking the morality, the source of any service or product. Globalisation of trade is a reality. Would could be open to the charge of hypocrisy if we start getting all self righteous or precious over who owns the club.

But we could claim the support we give is slightly different from buying a frying pan or a car or whatever. It's much more personal obviously, more emotional. But I suspect 99% or so would bite the bullet. We have very little say in it anyway.

n.b. 'civilians' = non football fans...usually pen pushers..
      « Last Edit: Jan 26, 2023 09:08:03 pm by Harrisimo »
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #91: Jan 26, 2023 09:05:07 pm
      Will stand by the club nomatter what. No player is bigger then the club, and thats true. IMO no owners, fans etc are bigger then the club. It will go on and i will continue to support the club as long as i will live. These comments about selling the "soul" of the club and so on are just silly. Ask a mid tier club or a championship club then they will tell you that we sold it along time ago. Ask German fans and they will tell you that all the teams in premier league have sold their soul.

Quick Reply