Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Brighton?

Alisson Becker
      8 (14.5%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Ibrahima Konaté
      11 (20%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (1.8%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      1 (1.8%)
      Stefan Bajcetic
      15 (27.3%)
      Naby Keïta
      1 (1.8%)
      Cody Gakpo
      2 (3.6%)
      Harvey Elliott
      16 (29.1%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Darwin Núñez
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: Feb 02, 2023 03:25:18 pm

Brighton & Hove Albion 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 12828 times
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,673 posts | 145 
      Re: Brighton & Hove Albion 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #460: Jan 29, 2023 04:23:19 pm
      They'll outwork us ... be good on setpieces and probably beat us. I just want this season to end ... see what Jürgen can do in the summer.

What Klopp can do in the summer with the FSG ? Sorting out the owners is our biggest priority right now.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,529 posts | 1083 
      Reply #461: Jan 29, 2023 04:23:27 pm
      Since the WC

City - L
      Villa - W (lucky)
      Leicester - W (lucky)
      Brentford - L
      Wolves (cup) - D (Lucky)
      Brighton - L
      Wolves (cup) - W
      Chelsea - D (lucky)
      Brighton - L

A f*cking shambles. Thank goodness for the post WC reset.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,220 posts | 917 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #462: Jan 29, 2023 04:25:10 pm
      Ho well might as well watch the Wrexham game
      cocker the red
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 129 posts | 10 
      Reply #463: Jan 29, 2023 04:25:47 pm
      Tells ya something when we 256 guests viewing this thread, get a life
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #464: Jan 29, 2023 04:25:48 pm
      Since the WC

City - L
      Villa - W (lucky)
      Leicester - W (lucky)
      Brentford - L
      Wolves (cup) - D (Lucky)
      Brighton - L
      Wolves (cup) - W
      Chelsea - D (lucky)
      Brighton - L

A f*cking shambles. Thank goodness for the post WC reset.

All or nothing now with the champions league. The slower pace might suit us a little.
      Otherwise this season will be in the same bracket as souness era.

Iv never seen a team fall off a cliff like it.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #465: Jan 29, 2023 04:26:59 pm
      The performance itself wasn't that bad but the decisions of the bench were startling to me.

I think the midfield that started today should be our starting three week in week out, we looked so much better defensively off the ball and each of them know where to be when on the ball. The only issue is keeping the ball, Keita and Thiago both gave it away far too often, that needs to improve.

I liked that we didn't have our full backs bombarding forward, think Trent had a decent game, he is going to get beat by wingers who have that high level of trickery about them, so I don't hold his performance defensively today against him. Robbo was a bit erratic down the left, and thought Trent was the better out of the two. Konate was back in beast mode today, Gomez was ok but does look poor in the air.

Harvey Elliot was our best player and have 0 clue as to why he came off, unless he had a concussion from hitting his head earlier, Gakpo grew into the game and actually did look half decent in the second half, Salah looked hit and miss. I would have had Nunez start the game or come on at H-T at the very least, would have definitely had him out on the left, Salah through the middle and Harvey out wide right.

The substitutions really did baffle me as they not only didn't make sense on an individual level, i.e Milner, Henderson, Fab & Jones I think added nothing more than the players coming off, but also because they also came with a change of tactics from our coach. We went from being compact and having our full backs sit back to the complete opposite, leaving us vulnerable to the counter and conceding again.

I don't think we get top four unfortunately, so I would be rallying the team week in week out about one thing, Real Madrid, that needs to be our focus, in the CL anything can happen for us, let's write another story for the history books.

YNWA
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,160 posts | 1092 
      Reply #466: Jan 29, 2023 04:30:06 pm
      This isn't based on today, but rather just the performances this season.....

Obviously Hendo and Fab should be fazed out, but would you also look at exploring the market for TAA or Salah? Salah and VVD look to be shadows of their former self and certainly slower. TAA just can't defend.

All of these guys are struggling from poor MF play for sure. TAA gets to attack more when a younger Hendo / Gini style MFer covers for him, and when he's getting 15 assist he's worth the poor defense. VVD has been put under pressure due to TAA getting exposed and Fabs decline. Salah isn't getting the usual service from other around him.....

But Mo eill get slower, not faster. VVD has lost pace as well. I feel he's in the exact same positions he use to be in, but the margins are finer now that he's lost a step. In a high line those margins matter. And I don't see the right attitude to embrace his poor defensive issues. He just seems annoyed at the criticism and continues to shove the square peg into the round hole.

If we could get good money on any of the 3, would you do it.

Again, this prolly just me talking sh*t when I'm passed, so sorry if it offends  :lmao:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #467: Jan 29, 2023 04:34:18 pm
      VVD has been put under pressure due to TAA getting exposed

How? Virgil plays on the left side of the two CB's. If anything Virgil gets put under pressure from Robbo having the large space behind him exposed.
      Redangel

• 8,313 posts | 1007 
      Reply #468: Jan 29, 2023 04:38:13 pm
      We needed reinforcements, not just because of the injuries, we were cack before the World Cup and worse after. It’s been obvious for some time that this team needs major work. FSG have just relied on Jürgen pulling off miracles. Sadly, Jürgen is not a magician, last season has taken its toll on him as well as the team. We have 2 days ‘til the window shuts, there must be players out there, especially midfielders who could do a job for us. If we do nothing I fail to see how we improve, unless we utilise some of the youngsters, they could hardly do worse than some of our established players. Right now it just feels flat, and that’s exactly how I feel, every attack from the opposition I expect them to score, every attack from us I fear not. Jürgen needs help from FSG, I won’t hold my breath!
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #469: Jan 29, 2023 04:38:33 pm
      Disappointed obviously, but not surprised.
      Will bypass talking about the midfield today, look at final 3rd instead. Nunez is fast, but apart from that - his passing and decision making is poor, nobody knows what he's going to do so link up play like we have been used to over the years is non-existent, and his shooting for many many games has been pathetic.  Am not writing him off, but he needs to massively improve.  Salah, cashing his cheque but nothing else.  Gapko is a little slow but at least shows some signs of intelligence in his passing and play, though he doesn't look like a goalscorer yet.  I'd have no problem dropping Nunez and Salah for Elliot/Carvahlo/Doak, in any game, PL CL whatever, that's how bad they are at the moment.

Just woeful. Klopp has massive job to do.  Though maybe the subs today didn't help a lot which he can ponder on.
      Goes without saying - bad fucks to FSG - don't even like mentioning them, but just feel not fair on the actual playing staff not to, they have left us stagnating. There they are looking to get shot of us/have their payday, while in the meantime still stuck with them. Fuckers.

Season really running on fumes ...
      Don77

• 6,529 posts | 1083 
      Reply #470: Jan 29, 2023 04:38:36 pm
      All or nothing now with the champions league. The slower pace might suit us a little.
      Otherwise this season will be in the same bracket as souness era.

Iv never seen a team fall off a cliff like it.

Stand still in this game ... in this era ... you go backwards faster than you can say last season.

We've been negligent ... that's it. Gini not replaced ... should have been given the earth after what he'd done for this club but no .... out you go. Garbage like Jones chamberlain keita retained year in year out desoite contributing absolutely nothing. Even Gomez got a new deal. Between him and Philips I know who'd I'd be keeping ... the one who actually stood up and f*cking performed when needed.

Thiago ... Great player ... just not in this midfield. The mediocrity has spread to him now. Thiago now compared to thiago at bayern ... a shell.

2 windows ... done f*ck all. Look at arsenal ... they're going for it. Position of strength ... invest ... get stronger or at least try. Us ... yeah we're good ... nothing doing.

Still no club doctor ... ward and others wants out ... a shambles off the pitch ... a shambles on it. Parasites wanting to bail and run with their money ... money off the back of klopps achievements .

I need to go and sit in a dark room and come out with perspective of what matters because this bs is making me miserable ... even my 6 year old says it after the match ... sums it up.
      Millsy75
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 302 posts | 46 
      Reply #471: Jan 29, 2023 04:44:31 pm
      Tells ya something when we 256 guests viewing this thread, get a life
      your one of em🤣🤣
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #472: Jan 29, 2023 04:45:15 pm
      Gini not replaced ... should have been given the earth after what he'd done for this club but no

In fairness, he wanted a move away anyway. He spent the whole of his last 12-18 months at the club giving very little indication he wanted to stay when asked about his future and his performances in his final season when we needed him most weren't there and games were just passing him by. Apparently the issue was that he wanted an extra year contract than what the club were offering, if he wanted to stay that badly then he'd have taken the 2 year extension that was on offer and pushed for another extension. The only reason he wanted 3 years was because that was probably going to be the last big money contract of his career. He was set for Barca but as soon as PSG offered him a whack, he didn't hesitate to go there instead and unfortunately for him, leaving us and not accepting the 2 year contract was probably the worst thing he could've done and ended his career at the highest level.
      The issue isn't replacing the ability of Gini, the issue is replacing the consistency he gave us through a near on perfect injury record. Players like Gini aren't a rare breed, there are plenty of them out there, but few players that you know 99% of the time they will be fit and ready to play near on every game. The other issue being that we've only signed 1 midfielder in 4 years and now relying on youngsters and injury prone players coming to the latter part of their career. If you don't continue to strengthen certain areas of the team then they will always stagnate and the midfield is probably the one area you can least afford to just stand still.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,160 posts | 1092 
      Reply #473: Jan 29, 2023 04:49:33 pm
      How? Virgil plays on the left side of the two CB's. If anything Virgil gets put under pressure from Robbo having the large space behind him exposed.
      It still drags everyone into panic mode to cover for TAA and opens lanes due to positional unsureness (if thats a word ;D).

Just saying TAAs gaffs screw everyone
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #474: Jan 29, 2023 04:51:23 pm
      It still drags everyone into panic mode to cover for TAA and opens lanes due to positional unsureness (if thats a word ;D).

Just saying TAAs gaffs screw everyone

Robbo is every bit as much to blame as Trent, the amount of goals and chances we concede via attacks in behind Robbo is far too high. Trent and Robbo both need to significantly up their game defensively IMO.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,753 posts | 861 
      Reply #475: Jan 29, 2023 04:53:00 pm
      I've watched part of the fist half and all of the second. Although there is a noticeable improvement in the energy of our press and some individuals have picked up the pace and seem to be playing better quality football, we still have the same 2 big problems plaguing us.

The first is our lack of ability to beat even just the first line of press. Its truly pathetic wether its a midfielder with the ball at his feet or a defender 9 times out of 10 the ball is going to go sideways, backwards or we'll lose possession. Even with Thiago and Keita (our two most progressive MFs) on the pitch we still are absolutely horrible in that department. The immediate consequences to this problem is that nothing gets built in terms of offensive football. I have said many times this season and will say it again, none of the forwards can shoulder the blame for a lack of goals. Our three forwards are isolated to the point where what we are asking of them is to receive the ball in isolated very deep positions with no full-back or MF support and beat 2 or 3 men and score or make a perfect pass to the only other forward visible on the horizon. It doesn't matter that Nunez was bought for 80m+ and it also doesn't matter that Salah's new contract is 350k or 400k, it doesn't change the fact that forwards need support and creation to score. The truth is just like you can tell that we could've played another 45 minutes and not score, its also very easy to tell that we could have Haaland instead of Nunez or Salah and he still wouldn't score, unless I missed something and Haaland, at City, is week in week out receiving the ball around the midway line and going on beating 2 or 3 men and scoring.

The second problem is the lack of quality on the ball wether we're talking about a pass or a finish its like the whole squad woke up with two weak foot. The few times Thiago or Keita actually managed to beat the first line of press and dispatch something towards a running full-back or a supporting forward a pass or two later we lose the ball because somebody failed to complete a very simple pass  or put in a good cross. Robbo, Keita and especially Nunez all come to mind. Nunez received a beautiful and difficult to pull pass from Salah in the middle of the park to keep the counter  going and his return pass, which was supposed to be very simple, was utter filth and the attack died. A few moments later he received the ball on the left side of the box, Gakpo is well positioned at the edge of it and Nunez initiates a ''one two'' with the lad by blasting the ball so hard at him it looked like a shot rather than a pass and he still managed to aim wrong and give it to a Brighton player.

I understand the midfield is horrible at the moment, but something has to be done to fix this very basic problem of being unable to beat very simple first line presses. Last year, we were beating those with a Matip or Konate let alone the midfield. This year nobody can get it past a player pressing them in their own half with tons of space around them.

Two last things. First is Fabinho. He's become a proper liability. When I saw him coming on I thought to myself ''Jürgen just opened himself to some serious criticism with this change'' then I told myself that I was too harsh and that maybe he'll have a nice or even just decent cameo. The lad went on to look like the slow moving cone he's looked all season, blew this poor lad's achilles tendon and then continued floating around aimlessly for the rest of his stint.

The other is TAA. It's becoming increasingly clear that Trent cannot thrive in a team that isn't dominating possession and winning the ball back very quickly every time it loses it. Once again, the right side was where the opposition's party was at all game long. Unfortunately we don't have nobody to replace him other than Milner. I know Jürgen is against this idea, but I would say just play the lad as RCM for a couple of games and plug in Milner at RB or even Gomez and replace him at CB with Matip. At least in that area he can press, run with the ball at his feet, support at the edge and into the box and he's talented enough to bend quality passes into the box from that area. If it works it works, if not then it can't be worse than what he's producing at the moment.

Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,160 posts | 1092 
      Reply #476: Jan 29, 2023 04:56:40 pm
      Robbo is every bit as much to blame as Trent, the amount of goals and chances we concede via attacks in behind Robbo is far too high. Trent and Robbo both need to significantly up their game defensively IMO.
      Robbo hasn't been getting nearly as high up the pitch since the WC break. Neither has TAA, but the difference is TAA just isn't fast enough to be slowed down one on one. Never catches the guy when he speeds back up. At least Mily is in a better position when this happens and when he gets beat he just admits defeat and takes the card and lives to fight another day. TAA just puts his head down and jogs back
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,851 posts | 406 
      Reply #477: Jan 29, 2023 05:01:13 pm
      Mitoma and Moses Caicedo cost less than they got off Everton for Neil Maupay.

Brighton working wonders in the market. We should be interested in both of those players when the bidding begins.
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,673 posts | 145 
      Reply #478: Jan 29, 2023 05:01:17 pm
      So how likely some of our main players putting a transfer request in the summer? I'm worried about Alisson to be honest and Salah even though people are ok with Salah leaving. I wanted to see Salah playing with a proper midfield before judging him.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #479: Jan 29, 2023 05:02:29 pm
      Robbo hasn't been getting nearly as high up the pitch since the WC break. Neither has TAA, but the difference is TAA just isn't fast enough to be slowed down one on one. Never catches the guy when he speeds back up. At least Mily is in a better position when this happens and when he gets beat he just admits defeat and takes the card and lives to fight another day. TAA just puts his head down and jogs back

Robbo was high up the pitch today and Brighton exposed the space instantly with Robbo being nowhere near getting back, it led to the chance that TAA cleared off the line.
      instinct
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 175 posts | 18 
      Reply #480: Jan 29, 2023 05:06:04 pm
      So how likely some of our main players putting a transfer request in the summer? I'm worried about Alisson to be honest and Salah even though people are ok with Salah leaving. I wanted to see Salah playing with a proper midfield before judging him.

Pretty unlikely considering wages they are on currently and length left on contract
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,160 posts | 1092 
      Reply #481: Jan 29, 2023 05:09:26 pm
      Robbo was high up the pitch today and Brighton exposed the space instantly with Robbo being nowhere near getting back, it led to the chance that TAA cleared off the line.
      True!!!
      So do you think it's asinine to explore TAA or Robbo upgrades? I just feel Robbos defensive issues aren't nearly as dire as Trents and his leadership is better.
      Millsy75
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 302 posts | 46 
      Reply #482: Jan 29, 2023 05:09:36 pm
      Mitoma and Moses Caicedo cost less than they got off Everton for Neil Maupay.

Brighton working wonders in the market. We should be interested in both of those players when the bidding begins.
      mitoma would have done F**k all against a decent rb mate ,fact

Quick Reply