Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Brighton?

Alisson Becker
      8 (14.5%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Ibrahima Konaté
      11 (20%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (1.8%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      1 (1.8%)
      Stefan Bajcetic
      15 (27.3%)
      Naby KeĂŻta
      1 (1.8%)
      Cody Gakpo
      2 (3.6%)
      Harvey Elliott
      16 (29.1%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Darwin NĂșñez
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: Feb 02, 2023 03:25:18 pm

Brighton & Hove Albion 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 12720 times
      cocker the red
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 129 posts | 10 
      Re: Brighton & Hove Albion 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #483: Jan 29, 2023 05:12:09 pm
       :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :aaliverpool2xt1:
      i will treat that comment with the content it deserves
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #484: Jan 29, 2023 05:20:43 pm
      True!!!
      So do you think it's asinine to explore TAA or Robbo upgrades? I just feel Robbos defensive issues aren't nearly as dire as Trents and his leadership is better.

Don't know if upgrades on them are needed as such, I'd say we need to start playing a midfield and attack that compliments their abilities and covers their weaknesses again. Trouble is, the entire team is essentially a jumbled mess with square pegs in round holes. We've got Gakpo playing through the middle when he said just days ago he's a left sided player, we've got Nunez playing left when he's really a central player, Elliott playing on the left which aside from playing as a defender, is probably the worst place he could be. We are constantly chopping and changing at least 1 of the full backs nearly every match - whether that's from the start or during the game and as for the midfield, that's a roulette of who's going to have the biggest stinkner with the majority of them getting outshone by an 18 year old.

Unfortunately we are where we are and it's very likely  this will continue for the remainder of the season. Ultimately we will be out of Europe soon if we don't see a vast improvement and we just have to hope we pull off an end to the season that we saw a couple of years ago and then reset in the summer.

But this season needs to be treated as a real eye opener and massive changes are needed this summer. Not just in players but also the way we play and the way we are setting up.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,134 posts | 1076 
      Reply #485: Jan 29, 2023 05:46:48 pm
      Don't know if upgrades on them are needed as such, I'd say we need to start playing a midfield and attack that compliments their abilities and covers their weaknesses again. Trouble is, the entire team is essentially a jumbled mess with square pegs in round holes. We've got Gakpo playing through the middle when he said just days ago he's a left sided player, we've got Nunez playing left when he's really a central player, Elliott playing on the left which aside from playing as a defender, is probably the worst place he could be. We are constantly chopping and changing at least 1 of the full backs nearly every match - whether that's from the start or during the game and as for the midfield, that's a roulette of who's going to have the biggest stinkner with the majority of them getting outshone by an 18 year old.

Unfortunately we are where we are and it's very likely  this will continue for the remainder of the season. Ultimately we will be out of Europe soon if we don't see a vast improvement and we just have to hope we pull off an end to the season that we saw a couple of years ago and then reset in the summer.

But this season needs to be treated as a real eye opener and massive changes are needed this summer. Not just in players but also the way we play and the way we are setting up.

Great post. Who do you think needs to go?
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,184 posts | 912 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #486: Jan 29, 2023 05:48:40 pm
      If you watch the second goal Gomez turns away as the striker shoot’s, awful defending
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,258 posts | 234 
      Reply #487: Jan 29, 2023 05:53:15 pm
      JĂŒrgen Klopp on not signing anyone else this window: “It's all good with this squad.” #lfc [

Why is JĂŒrgen defending FSG cu*ts????
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #488: Jan 29, 2023 05:58:57 pm

Personally, I would say Adrian, Keita, Ox, Fabinho for sure. One people may not agree with is Matip too - I think next season is his final year of contract, he's injury prone and also inconsistent. IMO, either Gomez or Matip needs to go, but we are right on the limit with the English player quota so I can't see Gomez going anywhere. I said yesterday we should have been all over Skriniar but that is too late now but we need to bring in another CB and build the defence around Konate because hate to say it, but Virgil is showing signs of struggling to get back to the level he was at pre injury.

Bobby, we all love Bobby but I wouldn't be against him leaving. Would be happy if he stayed but if he went it would feel like the time could be right for that.

Milner, I would actually say keep him another season - he does offer the experience and ability to come on and help see a game out. Would probably say a contract that leads onto a coaching role for him. But I don't think it would be the end of the world by any stretch of the imagination if he left.

Hendo and Jones, not against either of those leaving but again, the English quota. At the very least, if it's possible, would send Jones out on loan for the season.
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,596 posts | 139 
      Reply #489: Jan 29, 2023 05:59:19 pm
      JĂŒrgen Klopp on not signing anyone else this window: “It's all good with this squad.” #lfc [

Why is JĂŒrgen defending FSG cu*ts????

One of Klopp flaws, other managers call out their players for playing  sh*t but Klopp should the protective way.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,762 posts | 388 
      Reply #490: Jan 29, 2023 06:07:43 pm
      mitoma would have done f**k all against a decent rb mate ,fact

Hes already shining against every team he plays. His pace, dribbling and head up style would fit in here although the ship may have already sailed as his value will be 50 mill now not 2.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,086 posts | 8516 
      Reply #491: Jan 29, 2023 06:10:13 pm
      Liverpool got on top of that game second half but didn't do anything when we where on top.

The later subs didn't really help, and then giving away silly free kicks.

midfield is still well short and the sooner Jota and Diaz are back the better.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,134 posts | 1076 
      Reply #492: Jan 29, 2023 06:13:30 pm
      Personally, I would say Adrian, Keita, Ox, Fabinho for sure. One people may not agree with is Matip too - I think next season is his final year of contract, he's injury prone and also inconsistent. IMO, either Gomez or Matip needs to go, but we are right on the limit with the English player quota so I can't see Gomez going anywhere. I said yesterday we should have been all over Skriniar but that is too late now but we need to bring in another CB and build the defence around Konate because hate to say it, but Virgil is showing signs of struggling to get back to the level he was at pre injury.

Bobby, we all love Bobby but I wouldn't be against him leaving. Would be happy if he stayed but if he went it would feel like the time could be right for that.

Milner, I would actually say keep him another season - he does offer the experience and ability to come on and help see a game out. Would probably say a contract that leads onto a coaching role for him. But I don't think it would be the end of the world by any stretch of the imagination if he left.

Hendo and Jones, not against either of those leaving but again, the English quota. At the very least, if it's possible, would send Jones out on loan for the season.
      All of these guys are human beings, and the likes of Firmino, Hendo, Fab, and VVD have been monumental in winning everything for us. With all that said, this is about winning, and I don't see 3 of those 4 helping us winning anything else. I'm currently reading Shankly bio, and when there was a consistent drop in form he looked to move you. It wasn't personal, and he seems as though he was a player manager, but he also was all about winning.

It sounds harsh to shop Hendo, but it's just the way it is. We're a top level team and he isn't able to play at the level we need anymore.

I wouldn't resign Firmino either, and he's probably my most important player of the Klopp era. He isn't as effective as he once was and we could probably spend his salary better elsewhere, especially since he is falling on the depth chart.

I don't know what's happened to Fab, but I'd move him.

VVD is the only player whose still good enough of the players listed, but for how much longer? And, like you said, he's definitely regressing. Is it better to sale a year too early rather than a year or two late? You could probably get a nice fee for him now. But in 2 years? I wouldn't sale him I we got new owners, but I'd begin to phase him out. I like the idea of building around Konate.

Jones just isn't good enough.

Salah seems to have lost something too. Can't beat anyone one on one and holds the ball too long. However, we're stuck with him. No one's gonna give a good enough offer with his wages, unless Messi leave?
      LFC PAUL
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 46 
      Reply #493: Jan 29, 2023 06:35:54 pm
      Beaten 5-1 by Brighton in a fortnight, I'm really dreading the 2 games with Real Madrid next month now
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,214 posts | 1000 
      Reply #494: Jan 29, 2023 06:37:18 pm
      Ho well might as well watch the Wrexham game

Me too, after that I might move to Wrexham, that looked fun!
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,982 posts | 512 
      Reply #495: Jan 29, 2023 07:04:57 pm
      We actually played ok (not brilliant, but ok) for most of the match, just lacked cutting edge, but then it obviously went to sh*t after the final round of subs. Fab and Jones coming on then was asking for trouble.

Plus points - Gakpo had a good game, ditto Elliot and Bajcetic. So it was good to see some of our younger guys looking promising. The defensive side of our game, including our pressing, was decent up until the last 10 or 15 minutes. Out of the cup though, and we have a lot of improving to do if we want to get top 4, or get into the next round of the CL.
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 874 posts | 102 
      Reply #496: Jan 29, 2023 07:56:50 pm
      We actually played ok (not brilliant, but ok) for most of the match, just lacked cutting edge, but then it obviously went to sh*t after the final round of subs. Fab and Jones coming on then was asking for trouble.

Plus points - Gakpo had a good game, ditto Elliot and Bajcetic. So it was good to see some of our younger guys looking promising. The defensive side of our game, including our pressing, was decent up until the last 10 or 15 minutes. Out of the cup though, and we have a lot of improving to do if we want to get top 4, or get into the next round of the CL.

Lad if you can take positives from that then you should lay off the happy pills, we've been outplayed by Brighton and Hove three times this season
      rossyred

• 9,229 posts | 1650 
      Reply #497: Jan 29, 2023 08:24:38 pm

Though Elliott was non existent until.the goal which seemed to bring more confidence to his performance. What I have found amazing is the lack of criticism for Milner and others who blatantly failed to mark someone and allow him to bring it down from the free kick and basically pick his spot where Joe Gomez had a shocker
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,134 posts | 1076 
      Reply #498: Jan 29, 2023 08:50:35 pm
      Though Elliott was non existent until.the goal which seemed to bring more confidence to his performance. What I have found amazing is the lack of criticism for Milner and others who blatantly failed to mark someone and allow him to bring it down from the free kick and basically pick his spot where Joe Gomez had a shocker

Non existent? He had a beautiful ball to put Mo through. The kid worked his ass off in a position that he isn't very effective in. He's the only player to score in the last 4 games. Lot of players should be criticized on here, but I don't think he's one of then
      rossyred

• 9,229 posts | 1650 
      Reply #499: Jan 29, 2023 08:58:12 pm
      Non existent? He had a beautiful ball to put Mo through. The kid worked his ass off in a position that he isn't very effective in. He's the only player to score in the last 4 games. Lot of players should be criticized on here, but I don't think he's one of then
      Not criticism just my view that he struggled to get into the game offensively and defensively as a whole for the first half hour and was then afterwards one of our better players as I have said in another thread unlucky to be taken off
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,134 posts | 1076 
      Reply #500: Jan 29, 2023 09:08:23 pm
      Not criticism just my view that he struggled to get into the game offensively and defensively as a whole for the first half hour and was then afterwards one of our better players as I have said in another thread unlucky to be taken off
      My bad, bro. I didn't read it all. I'm pissed and did some half ass reading.

I think he's been playing well, and has been a bright spot this season, even though much of it has been playing in a abnormal position for him
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,143 posts | 4896 
      Reply #501: Jan 29, 2023 09:15:20 pm

This.

Taking out signing more players the use of the players we have at the club this season has been bizarre at best.

Issues are much deeper than signing a couple of footballers.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,545 posts | 3905 
      Reply #502: Jan 29, 2023 09:42:46 pm
      Beaten 5-1 by Brighton in a fortnight, I'm really dreading the 2 games with Real Madrid next month now

Depressing
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,163 posts | 717 
      Reply #503: Jan 29, 2023 09:57:14 pm
      There is no tempo to the play, we are bereft of pace, not just the older players but the young ones too. Elliott, Jones, Carvalho etc. all too pedestrian in thinking and in action. There's no route forward until we get some real pace back.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #504: Jan 29, 2023 11:30:46 pm
      There is no tempo to the play, we are bereft of pace, not just the older players but the young ones too. Elliott, Jones, Carvalho etc. all too pedestrian in thinking and in action. There's no route forward until we get some real pace back.

Have to wait and see how our previously-pacey forwards Jota and Diaz look after they return from their injuries.
      Fabio Aurelio
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 877 posts | 114 
      Reply #505: Jan 30, 2023 12:25:27 am
      We were better than we were two weeks ago and perhaps a little unlucky with how Brighton’s first goal went in, but we still ultimately came out of the game looking like a shambles.

Brighton were missing Lallana and Moises, so that made things a bit easier. Fabinho was shocking when he came on. Henderson wasn’t great either. I feel a little sorry for Fabinho as he hasn’t had the legs in front of him this season, but he genuinely looks like he’s a 36 year old player. He honestly might be done. I’d consider moving him on.

We at least made a better attempt to press today. Thiago put himself about but it’s not his natural game. I think the midfield three that started today should continue to start. I don’t know whether Keita is injured though.

I didn’t understand bringing Nunez on to play on the left and then leaving Gakpo down the middle. I think Gakpo could be an option down the middle but he needs time to learn the position, and the balance just didn’t seem right.

I have very little faith in Gomez; he just doesn’t have the intelligence. TAA was awful imo. Mitoma abused him. Again.

The season just needs to end. The rebuild required is going to be very difficult.

Quick Reply