Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre Match : Wolves v Liverpool : 3pm 4th Feb

Read 3442 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Re: Pre Match : Wolves v Liverpool : 3pm 4th Feb
      Reply #23: Feb 03, 2023 06:12:12 pm
      Slowest midfield in the PL right there no question.

We donā€™t have too much pace for the midfield
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #24: Feb 03, 2023 06:20:27 pm
      Bit harsh on Nunez. He scored a very well taken goal vs Wolves in the FA Cup and then he got injured. Since he has been back from injury he's been reduced to 2 sub appearances for barely even 30mins. In the 2 appearances he's looked a damn sight more dangerous than Gakpo and Salah. Not forgetting he's been putting in a shift defensively too, something that goes unnoticed is how often he's tracking back and winning back the ball for us.

I don't know how many games we went through were Nunez didn't even hit the target in a 1-on-1's, there's 6 or 7 chances come to mind. And his link up play is really poor imho, the players don't know what he's going to do, his passing and decision making is sloppy, over-hitting passes, playing easy balls in front of, or behind guys.
      BUT - he's fast and he gives his all, never gives up on the ball - so what does it say that I actually agree that, in many ways he looks more dangerous than Salah and Gapko. And if he can find his barings on goal, could be a gamechanger. But at the moment for every goal there's a disproportionate number of missed chances.

Gapko, although doesn't remotely look like a goalscorer yet/since he got here, does seem to have good control and passing and links up well. Thought away to Wolves when we played Elliot/Gapko/Carvahlo 1st half was best I'd seen us in the final 3rd for a while, and possibly since. The front 3 actually passed the ball to each other.

Salah needs such a kick up the hole. He's barely in games. Honestly don't think Doak would do any less that him.

Gapko, tall lad, looks technically good - but seems a little slow and can't rem many efforts from him on goal.

While Elliot looks like he's found a bit of scoring form, and Doak looks quick and direct, though only in a the odd cameo.

Don't think either Nunez or Gapko have blown anyone away yet with their performances - but won't be writing either of yet.

Anyway, reckon JĆ¼rgen will pick Gapko/Salah/Nunez, and I'll be as happy as anyone else if they can score, just feel they've been disjointed to date.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #25: Feb 03, 2023 06:25:20 pm
      Why anyone would pick fabinho is beyond me. Not just blind to fsgs failings.

He's been horrific all season. That 11 minute 'performance' at Brighton ... it was like he was trolling us. He wasn't obviously but he was completely over run by players who had been on the pitch the whole game.

Can't see how he could start at the weekend. Form is off a cliff.
      Actually felt sorry for him after that sub performance against Brighton, he was that bad. Should have been sent off too.

But really don't want to right Fab off completely. Deserves a chance to recover his form.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #26: Feb 03, 2023 08:50:17 pm
      Why anyone would pick fabinho is beyond me. Not just blind to fsgs failings.

He's been horrific all season. That 11 minute 'performance' at Brighton ... it was like he was trolling us. He wasn't obviously but he was completely over run by players who had been on the pitch the whole game.

Yup Fabinho should be nowhere near our midfield he's awful for about 12 months now.

Bajectic, Keita, and Thiago is pretty much the best we can do until the Summer. Although Naby will prob pick up an injury in the warm up.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #27: Feb 03, 2023 08:51:58 pm
      Can't see how he could start at the weekend. Form is off a cliff.
      Actually felt sorry for him after that sub performance against Brighton, he was that bad. Should have been sent off too.

But really don't want to right Fab off completely. Deserves a chance to recover his form.

We might need Fab to play CB if we pick up any more defensive injuries now Konate is out for a few weeks.
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #28: Feb 03, 2023 08:57:27 pm
      Yup Fabinho should be nowhere near our midfield he's awful for about 12 months now.

Bajectic, Keita, and Thiago is pretty much the best we can do until the Summer. Although Naby will prob pick up an injury in the warm up.

:lmao: :lmao:

Starting to sound like me re keita.
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #29: Feb 03, 2023 08:59:12 pm
      We might need Fab to play CB if we pick up any more defensive injuries now Konate is out for a few weeks.

Hopefully not.

We've still got Matip Gomez and Philips ... Williams as well.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #30: Feb 03, 2023 09:14:58 pm
      Big fan of Bajcetic here, but it wouldn't shock me if Fabinho or Henderson start. Unless we're saying they have no role to play in the team anymore, they will have to get onto the pitch sometime. Bajcetic is already ahead of the curve and we need to be careful re overuse.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #31: Feb 03, 2023 10:32:43 pm
      Ali; Milner, Gomez, Matip, Robbo; Bajectic, Thiago, Keita; Salah, Nunez, Gakpo.

Was half tempted to suggest Doak over Mo to be honest. About time the latter pulls his finger out and starts producing the goods.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,627 posts | 128 
      Reply #32: Feb 04, 2023 07:58:13 am
      Iā€™m low on spirit to be honest. I just want them to get the basics right and ā€œsurviveā€ the game with some dignity and maybe get some result out of it.

On the bright site, one more game done which brings us closer to the end of the season.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #33: Feb 04, 2023 08:07:02 am
      talk about score prediction lately I always put a 2-1 lfc win every game  :D
      Just wonder who is top prediction score as he must be an idoit who predict our team lose and draw a lot haha
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #34: Feb 04, 2023 10:24:23 am
      Just wonder who is top prediction score as he must be an idoit who predict our team lose and draw a lot haha

Yes, I've been pretty negative in the prediction league since the Autumn and it's doing me pretty well in terms of points.  Gone for a narrow home win as well for today.

I just think losing Konate, who has actually been the only decent defender in recent weeks, is just another heavy blow.  Forwards badly out of form and midfield still not quite dominating.  Wolves will also be out for revenge after knocking them out the cup.  Too much downside and not enough upside is my prediction.
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #35: Feb 04, 2023 10:24:23 am
      talk about score prediction lately I always put a 2-1 lfc win every game  :D

I went for wolves today. I see they've a new midfielder ... oh the irony.

Sadly though I can't see past another s*itshow from us and another defeat and with Everton Newcastle and United upcoming there is not going to be much to shout about.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #36: Feb 04, 2023 10:25:57 am
      Sadly though I can't see past another s*itshow from us and another defeat and with Everton Newcastle and United upcoming there is not going to be much to shout about.

I'm actually a little bit more confident about those two games than today but that can all change in the coming weeks! 😳
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 561 posts | 128 
      Reply #37: Feb 04, 2023 10:49:18 am
      I'm actually a little bit more confident about those two games than today but that can all change in the coming weeks! 😳

Plenty of time for more hamstring injuries by then. Gomez must be due a few weeks off soon.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #38: Feb 04, 2023 11:02:23 am
      Plenty of time for more hamstring injuries by then. Gomez must be due a few weeks off soon.

Gomez or Thiago next - they've both been playing for at least four weeks.
      Tadders

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #39: Feb 04, 2023 11:35:55 am
      If we do not gift them a goal we may get a 0-0

We donā€™t deserve European football after the performances both on and off the field so letā€™s try and win a few games and get this season over
      Tadders

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #40: Feb 04, 2023 12:17:29 pm
      I cannot believe how little an impact Gapko has had.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #41: Feb 04, 2023 12:22:37 pm
      Grind out another win today Reds.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #42: Feb 04, 2023 12:22:42 pm
      New to the club and "System" a reasonable explanation....as for Salah this season, no excuses.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #43: Feb 04, 2023 12:41:12 pm

Playing him in his actual position would be helpful.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #44: Feb 04, 2023 12:52:36 pm
      Same 3 for me in midfield might be changes against Bitters though proper.dogs of war playing today and playing more direct what a shock
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #45: Feb 04, 2023 01:15:29 pm
      We are letting teams play out from the back and it's one of the reasons we are relatively easy to play against. See the front three standing off...watch for it today and contrast that to how much time our back have to play out.

As well when Thiago plays slightly higher there's nobody picking it up from the back 4 and making the play. As a consequence we lose possession. Basic stuff and if we don't get that right, it's hit and hope.

Quick Reply