Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Wolves?

Alisson Becker
      3 (5.5%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      1 (1.8%)
      Joe Gomez
      1 (1.8%)
      Andy Robertson
      4 (7.3%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      1 (1.8%)
      Naby Keïta
      1 (1.8%)
      Stefan Bajcetic
      40 (72.7%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Darwin Núñez
      3 (5.5%)
      Cody Gakpo
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: Feb 08, 2023 04:55:39 pm

Wolverhampton Wanderers 3-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 19750 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Wolverhampton Wanderers 3-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #736: Feb 05, 2023 01:27:20 pm
      He can't.

But he can get rid. Both can go. Get the cash in. By a CB and keep Philips as 4th choice.

If he makes it to the summer ... and by god I hope he does, he needs to be ruthless this summer. Its time to start building a new team.

That may be part of the plan, but for the next four months.........let's hope some players start to take more pride in their performances.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,696 posts | 837 
      Reply #737: Feb 05, 2023 02:01:11 pm
      Didn't see the game, The stats suggest we dominated most of the play but our forwards were firing blanks and our defence was even worse than it has been all season. Doesn't look so much of a midfield problem, this game, although obviously I could be completely wrong.

Basically, our whole team has been playing sh*t this season, each area is just taking it in turns. Still think a lot of it is psychological. Burn out from last season, mental as well as physical. Difficult for Klopp to fix that, particularly with a lack of signings. He will turn it round eventually, as long as FSG don't do anything too stupid, but it's looking like a painful remainder of the season.
      Having watched the game I'd say this is one of those times the stats are lying. It says we had 22 shots, but I honestly remember nothing but 3 shots (one from Salah that went over the bar, a half volley from Keita if I remember correctly and I think a Nunez shot that was also well off). Every other shot is pretty hard to remember because its all blocked at the edge of the box type stuff or speculative efforts that had more chances of hitting someone sitting high up the stands than going in. Keep in mind we managed 4 on target from 22 while Wolves managed 6 on target, including 3 goals, from 12.

With that said, you are absolutely right. Our defence was once again so poor that 15 minutes in you already want to turn the game off.

I know this type of comment is not going to fly in those difficult times, but I'm going to make it regardless because as far as I am concerned it is the truth: we are not giving our forwards a single fighting chance. Game after game after game. Earlier in the season they had to score 2 or 3 for us to even have a chance of winning because we routinely conceded 2 goals a game. Now the situation got even more dire as it seems we stopped giving them the little creativity they had to work with earlier in the season and instead of conceding one quick goal we now dig ourselves an even deeper early grave to clim out by conceding 2. Since we came back from the world cup break its like I'm watching two LFC sides on the same pitch. One consisting of the midfielders and the back line all stuck deep inside our half and the other consisting of two or three poor souls completely disconnected from the rest of the team. They receive a long pass that is more akin to a clearance than a pass and are asked to do magic and convert that situation into a goal.

Anyway, its not like the forwards aren't to blame giving the sh*t energy levels they display on the press and the less than sharp finishing once they finally get a chance once every 3 games, but I just thought I'd point out why we only have 4 shots on target from 22 attempts.

Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,976 posts | 666 
      Reply #738: Feb 05, 2023 02:11:05 pm
      Having watched the game I'd say this is one of those times the stats are lying. It says we had 22 shots, but I honestly remember nothing but 3 shots (one from Salah that went over the bar, a half volley from Keita if I remember correctly and I think a Nunez shot that was also well off). Every other shot is pretty hard to remember because its all blocked at the edge of the box type stuff or speculative efforts that had more chances of hitting someone sitting high up the stands than going in. Keep in mind we managed 4 on target from 22 while Wolves managed 6 on target, including 3 goals, from 12.

With that said, you are absolutely right. Our defence was once again so poor that 15 minutes in you already want to turn the game off.

I know this type of comment is not going to fly in those difficult times, but I'm going to make it regardless because as far as I am concerned it is the truth: we are not giving our forwards a single fighting chance. Game after game after game. Earlier in the season they had to score 2 or 3 for us to even have a chance of winning because we routinely conceded 2 goals a game. Now the situation got even more dire as it seems we stopped giving them the little creativity they had to work with earlier in the season and instead of conceding one quick goal we now dig ourselves an even deeper early grave to clim out by conceding 2. Since we came back from the world cup break its like I'm watching two LFC sides on the same pitch. One consisting of the midfielders and the back line all stuck deep inside our half and the other consisting of two or three poor souls completely disconnected from the rest of the team. They receive a long pass that is more akin to a clearance than a pass and are asked to do magic and convert that situation into a goal.

Anyway, its not like the forwards aren't to blame giving the sh*t energy levels they display on the press and the less than sharp finishing once they finally get a chance once every 3 games, but I just thought I'd point out why we only have 4 shots on target from 22 attempts.
      It's been a while since we worked a goalie....Paris?
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #739: Feb 05, 2023 02:14:03 pm
      Well that was quite something wasn't it.

I will start of by saying that Gomez & Matip need replacing ASAP. Trent wasn't awful, wasn't great either, Robbo was up for it but just seemed like nothing went right for him, felt he wasn't as composed on the ball in his passing or delivery.

The midfield three works for me decently enough off the ball but on it we cannot keep possession well enough, a sloppy pass here and there and we are under the kosh again, I thought Thiago was abysmal yesterday and should have been hooked the earliest out of the midfield three.

Salah just isn't playing well at all, every touch, dribble etc. right now is woeful, he needs to be benched, we should start Elliot out there ahead of him and swap Gakpo and Nunez around, have them interchange more in games. Gakpo for me hasn't shown much and I was tempted to say have Salah through the middle and Harvey out right, but Salah's form right now is that bad I am not even sure a spell through the middle will help.

It felt like we were never in the game really, the second half we mounted on the pressure but as soon as they wanted to hit us on the counter they did, so felt like we played into their hands in that respect. I never felt we really looked like scoring in that second half and I guess if Nunez had more confidence and composure at the minute he could have dragged us back in it single handedly, but it wasn't to be.

This season is over for me in terms of the PL, each week I look at the point difference and create a scenario in my head of top four, but if we cannot win the games we are supposed to then we have no chance. I think we need to seriously look at a plan B for the rest of the season and hope we pull of a miracle in the CL, stranger things have happened.

YNWA
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,696 posts | 837 
      Reply #740: Feb 05, 2023 03:08:02 pm
      We simply don't put our forwards in a position to even try at a goalie. It's just sad.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #741: Feb 05, 2023 03:21:56 pm
      Yeah that's why I'm partnering bajcetic with Henderson next week  .... in a 4231 ... we need our captain next to him. And we need his leadership.

I agree completely.  Robbo is a leader to some extent, but he seems to lose the plot and rant, and his body language when we make mistakes and things go against us (see the penalty claim yesterday!), isn't great. 

As a young player, Hendo is the leader I'd want.  We need his encouragement and positive ethos towards those around him.  He may only give us 60 mins but he's not played a lot lately. I'd drop Thiago for him.  Can't believe how no pundits have spotted how often he gives up possession.  I'd look a two mids - Hendo and Bajcetic, and 3 attacking mid/forwards - Elliot, Firmino if avaliable (or Gakpo), and Salah with Nunez as striker. 

Its a reshuffle, but for me the biggest change has to be in mentality (remember that word!?).  Got to work harder for each other, communicate and commit 100% to everything we do.  We look as if we're EXPECTING errors, and its making us hesitant and thus prone to more errors. 

For me, that's why we should bring in Hendo.  Apart from Jimmy M, I don't see who else has the strength of character to alter the team's mindset and keep it strong when things go against us. 
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #742: Feb 05, 2023 03:24:20 pm

Nunez blasted one straight at Sa yesterday.  Not sure the Wolves keeper would describe it as work though!
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #743: Feb 05, 2023 04:13:57 pm
      Whilst Everton prepare for the derby with their shithouse tactics, what do you think our lot are doing? We play once a week, train all week, pick up a couple of injuries and then play worse than the week before.
      We are not at rock bottom just yet
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1634 
      Reply #744: Feb 05, 2023 04:30:46 pm
      We simply don't put our forwards in a position to even try at a goalie. It's just sad.

But we have though. The forwards have been as inept as other sections of the team
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #745: Feb 05, 2023 04:43:19 pm
      There’s hope. RM lost today to Mallorca who are tenth in la liga.
      Had a full strength side out as well.

We need to warm up in the derby, as it’s always intense, then we’ll be ready for Real 😊
      Tadders

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #746: Feb 05, 2023 05:14:43 pm
      There’s hope. RM lost today to Mallorca who are tenth in la liga.
      Had a full strength side out as well.

We need to warm up in the derby, as it’s always intense, then we’ll be ready for Real 😊

It’s all very well hoping teams are worse than us, but we have to start playing ourselves. We have played 3 lost 3 in 2023 bottom of the league form, and we haven’t played a real top team lately
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #747: Feb 05, 2023 06:04:11 pm
      It’s all very well hoping teams are worse than us, but we have to start playing ourselves. We have played 3 lost 3 in 2023 bottom of the league form, and we haven’t played a real top team lately

Let's hope that playing a real top team, or playing a bunch of yard dogs who are our local rivals, will be the lift the boys need to get their blood up.
      Tadders

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #748: Feb 05, 2023 06:51:59 pm
      The criminal thing about this season is we would only have to be semi crap to be assured of top 4 - but we cant even be that good
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #749: Feb 06, 2023 01:09:59 am
      Steady on mate he's been going for 30 years. Since he saved the world in the war.

I apologise for this post.

I'm sorry.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #750: Feb 06, 2023 01:26:19 am
      I only seen their first goal today.

What in tarnation was Joel doing there.

Madness.
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1634 
      Reply #751: Feb 06, 2023 08:07:34 am
      I only seen their first goal today.

What in tarnation was Joel doing there.

Madness.

Watch the 3rd as well Neves in 20 yards behind Thiago and just blatantly let's him run past him.to recieve the pass from Traore  :mad:
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3286 
      Reply #752: Feb 06, 2023 03:55:28 pm
      I apologise for this post.

I'm sorry.

The rewards of alcohol and disappointment 👍

All good
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #753: Feb 06, 2023 03:57:02 pm

The rewards of alcohol and disappointment 👍

All good

I was pissed when I apologised.

Been quite the weekend.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3286 
      Reply #754: Feb 06, 2023 04:01:16 pm
      I was pissed when I apologised.

Been quite the weekend.

😂😂 at least there was some enjoyment there
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #755: Feb 07, 2023 07:29:40 am
      My youngest lad reckons a lot of our decline is to do with losing Edwards. It was he who scouted most of our players. It was Edwards who wanted Salah when Klopp (admitted) he didn't. I think there might have been other players too. If anything, this seems to be the more accurate explanation if you consider the time of him leaving and our decline. Unless of course I'm just plain wrong.

Certainly our recruitment hasn't been as focused since he left.

Switching from a Sporting Director model to allow a manager or Head Coach more influence on who we sign isn't the best idea in the world.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #756: Feb 07, 2023 12:31:34 pm
      Certainly our recruitment hasn't been as focused since he left.

Switching from a Sporting Director model to allow a manager or Head Coach more influence on who we sign isn't the best idea in the world.

Depends on the reasons. What you're describing is the club going back to the sort of influence the likes of shankly, Paisley, Dalglish, Fagan had on the club as a manager rather than head coach.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #757: Feb 07, 2023 12:34:57 pm
      Depends on the reasons. What you're describing is the club going back to the sort of influence the likes of shankly, Paisley, Dalglish, Fagan had on the club as a manager rather than head coach.

Meh going backwards is not the answer.

With our limited transfer budgets we need to be extra vigilant in who we sign which means using all the best of what that the data nerds can supply.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #758: Feb 07, 2023 01:05:22 pm
      Meh going backwards is not the answer.

With our limited transfer budgets we need to be extra vigilant in who we sign which means using all the best of what that the data nerds can supply.

No one said going backwards.

What I'm describing is the job and influence over the whole club. Same thing Ferguson had at Utd. I

Isn't it getting the right nerds in. Maybe Ward and his nerds are the issue and Klopp might want to change that.

Quick Reply