Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Madrid?

Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.4%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      9 (12.9%)
      Joe Gomez
      9 (12.9%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Stefan Bajcetic
      18 (25.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Darwin Núñez
      25 (35.7%)
      Mohammed Salah
      7 (10%)
      Cody Gakpo
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      1 (1.4%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Voting closed: Feb 25, 2023 09:55:13 pm

Liverpool 2-5 Real Madrid: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 22375 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4420 
      Re: Liverpool 2-5 Real Madrid: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #713: Feb 21, 2023 10:24:26 pm
      Reality check for Klopp and dare I say it a lot on the forum getting carried away with a win against a sh*te Everton and outplayed for huge parts of the game against a 10 man Newcastle.

Huge underlying issues tactically, physically and unfortunately mentally as you can see the players just capitulate once we go behind.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,465 posts | 822 
      Reply #714: Feb 21, 2023 10:26:38 pm
      Remember the days when Virgil's name on the team sheet gave you feeling of invincibility?..Not saying he was to blame tonight but he's a shadow of what he was.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,815 posts | 1407 
      Reply #715: Feb 21, 2023 10:28:57 pm
      Who is going to finance the rebuild?

There is a reason he has to hold onto players well past their best.

The same players many here were clamoring to be extended when they were up for renewals. Hindsight sure is beautiful.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 392 
      Reply #716: Feb 21, 2023 10:29:07 pm
      when the draw was made, pretty much everyone thought we would get battered. since the draw we got even worse. wins over a dreadful everton and newcastle ( who still caused us massive problems with 10 men)  dont mean anything when you come  up against a top class team like tonight. we've fallen off a cliff. this is what we are now. big summer needed. basically a whole new midfield required.  again tonight, tactically we looked absolutely clueless second half. wide open time and time again. Klopp has had as bad a season as the players.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,506 posts | 3457 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #717: Feb 21, 2023 10:29:46 pm
      It was some of the worst defender I have seen for years - not one person tracked him

Yeah, the Allison mistake and the deflected goal were just unfortunate,  defending set pieces is basic
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 567 posts | 129 
      Reply #718: Feb 21, 2023 10:30:59 pm
      We hear it every spring - Klopp to be given war chest, Liverpool plan big summer etc etc

Never happens and it won't start this summer.

Our only target went elsewhere, there was no value in the market. We've got 9 midfielders. We've not got enough home grown players....
      CT_LFC

• 6,815 posts | 1407 
      Reply #719: Feb 21, 2023 10:32:09 pm
      Yeah, the Allison mistake and the deflected goal were just unfortunate,  defending set pieces is basic

Good movement from Militao, but yes, we just stood there like traffic cones.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,239 posts | 3491 
      Reply #720: Feb 21, 2023 10:32:25 pm

The first goal you just have to say it was a moment of pure quality , second goal -poor from Allison , 3rd shocking at the set piece ,4th unfortunate deflection 5th was just clinical counter

It’s Madrid- when it comes to the CL they are just on a different planet when it matters and will prob win it again
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,728 posts | 3945 
      Reply #721: Feb 21, 2023 10:33:07 pm
      Hate being laughed at - getting all kinds of sh*t on WhatsApp. Painful.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,239 posts | 3491 
      Reply #722: Feb 21, 2023 10:34:25 pm
      Hate being laughed at - getting all kinds of sh*t on WhatsApp. Painful.

Welcome to life as a football fan , there has been no doubt times when you have given it out when oppos have had it worse

We were laughed at for the best part of the 90’s and 00’s
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,226 posts | 1109 
      Reply #723: Feb 21, 2023 10:38:04 pm
      No one says anything when you criticizes Gomez or Fab, and believe you me, theyve earbed it. But its very wierd when you have criticism for some guys and get this wierd push back. VVD has been below average all season. In some games its hocking how poor his effort has been. He looks to me like a guy who knows he's altered physically, and that it will be transparent for the world to see if he moves forward to close someone down. He deserves some crap, as he's not a top defensive player anymore, at least not physically.

Again, that sucks to say. But what's sucks worse is watching him get blown by and see him be nonchalant about it.

TAA is another. I dunno if it's because he's scouse or because we've seen him grow, but he's sh*t defensively. I mean absolutely sh*t sometimes. It gets covered up when you have world class CBs and MFers, but by God it's glaring atm. Why can't these guys get sh*t too. They suck atm
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,728 posts | 3945 
      Reply #724: Feb 21, 2023 10:39:19 pm
      Welcome to life as a football fan , there has been no doubt times when you have given it out when oppos have had it worse

We were laughed at for the best part of the 90’s and 00’s

I never give it out to my pals, only because I know how much I hate it.

But yeah, that’s football - have to take it on the chin and get on with it.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,239 posts | 3491 
      Reply #725: Feb 21, 2023 10:40:19 pm
      No one says anything when you criticizes Gomez or Fab, and believe you me, theyve earbed it. But its very wierd when you have criticism for some guys and get this wierd push back. VVD has been below average all season. In some games its hocking how poor his effort has been. He looks to me like a guy who knows he's altered physically, and that it will be transparent for the world to see if he moves forward to close someone down. He deserves some crap, as he's not a top defensive player anymore, at least not physically.

Again, that sucks to say. But what's sucks worse is watching him get blown by and see him be nonchalant about it

There is prob only Robbo and Alisson that are free from being too critical this season and even then both aren’t spotless

The whole team have dropped their levels - still see last season having an affect
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,927 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #726: Feb 21, 2023 10:42:32 pm
      I never give it out to my pals, only because I know how much I hate it.

But yeah, that’s football - have to take it on the chin and get on with it.

I'm the same, whole time we were on top in CL and PL, I stayed quietly humble. So nobody even bothers trying to wind me up these days as they know i don't deserve it.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,226 posts | 1109 
      Reply #727: Feb 21, 2023 10:42:43 pm

There is prob only Robbo and Alisson that are free from being too critical this season and even then both aren’t spotless

The whole team have dropped their levels - still see last season having an affect

No doubt, but all the while they get another year older, tons of milage, and zapped confidence. At some point you have to address this?

I love VVD to death, and will always hate Pickford for his downfall. But if RM or PSG came calling tomorrow I'd say you'd have to entertain it. He's not what he was, and it's not like he's 24
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,758 posts | 863 
      Reply #728: Feb 21, 2023 10:43:37 pm
      Complete melt down. I stopped after we conceded the 4th one. It's like every time the ball is near our box our whole backline freezes. Joe Gomez still plays like he's just got here and is breaking through. 50% of the decisions he makes are wrong and on a night like this one, we paid the price in full. That first Vinicius goal was written on the sky since it was the 3rd or 4th time he cut on the inside and Gomez doesn't close him up at all. Its telling that he ends up scoring one from inside our box after a one two with plenty of space to spare.  Doesn't help that TAA reverted back to being completely toothless defensively after a two games hiatus as it leaves Gomez with even more space to cover in for, but its still some very bad defensive decision making.

We essentially showed the same defensive frailty against Newcastle, but the fantastic Ali kept us in the game. I wont have a go at him for the odd sh*t show tonight.

But more important than any of this is the total mental meltdown. Its like watching ice cream in the sun. As soon as they scored their first you could tell our belief and intensity went down one big notch. As soon as they scored their 3d you just could tell that was it for us. All of this at home too...for god's sake.

Anyway, far from the mental aspect of it, I think it confirms what I said in the scouting/transfer thread. It would be a mistake to go into this summer thinking we should put all our eggs in the midfield basket. Gomez has had his fair share of back luck with injuries, but this is now what, 4 years of him trying to cement a place into the starting XI? Except for the two times his progression was halted by injuries, he never looked good enough to be our second choice CB. With Matip being the injury magnet he is that means we have to let one of those two go in the summer and invest in a CB that will keep competition high. Right notw there's no competition. Konate walks into that team any day of the week and VVD is spending his savings.

gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 303 
      Reply #729: Feb 21, 2023 10:45:13 pm
      Terrible game, we've been making errors all season and got away with a few at Newcastle and in other games. Real are a very good team and punished us.

I think we can now focus on getting into the top 4, it's going to be difficult but it is achievable. Winning the CL this season, with these players, was always going to be almost impossible.
      CT_LFC

• 6,815 posts | 1407 
      Reply #730: Feb 21, 2023 10:45:29 pm

Again, that sucks to say. But what's sucks worse is watching him get blown by and see him be nonchalant about it.

TAA is another. I dunno if it's because he's scouse or because we've seen him grow, but he's sh*t defensively. I mean absolutely sh*t sometimes. It gets covered up when you have world class CBs and MFers, but by God it's glaring atm. Why can't these guys get sh*t too. They suck atm

At the core of our success was Van Dijk being an absolute force in CB covering any mistake from other players. It was undeniable to the world that he was the best in the sport at his position.

His level having gone down now magnifies when others make a mistake.

Jürgen has a lot of decisions to make for sure regarding who he thinks their decline is temporary vs permanent and needed to be moved on.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,239 posts | 3491 
      Reply #731: Feb 21, 2023 10:46:12 pm
      No doubt, but all the while they get another year older, tons of milage, and zapped confidence. At some point you have to address this?

I love VVD to death, and will always hate Pickford for his downfall. But if RM or PSG came calling tomorrow I'd say you'd have to entertain it. He's not what he was, and it's not like he's 24

Well that’s the big calls that Klopp and recruitment team have to make

He could just as easily come back next season and be imperious again

Konate might be a bigger miss at the moment but I guess there is a reason why the club are apparently looking at Gvardiol
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #732: Feb 21, 2023 10:47:05 pm
      Lot of players to ship out in the summer.

At least 5 out the door in the Summer
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,239 posts | 3491 
      Reply #733: Feb 21, 2023 10:48:39 pm
      At least 5 out the door in the Summer

I’m guessing apart from the two obvious of Ox and Keita then it’s

Matip
      Milner
      Bobby 🤷‍♂️
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,498 posts | 233 
      Reply #734: Feb 21, 2023 10:53:29 pm
      What happened at half time? We were losing it after their second goal. Go in at half time all square. Klopp should have fired a rocket but instead we came out and played even worse.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,927 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #735: Feb 21, 2023 10:54:44 pm
      What happened at half time? We were losing it after their second goal. Go in at half time all square. Klopp should have fired a rocket but instead we came out and played even worse.

That 3rd killed us.

Quick Reply