Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Madrid?

Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.4%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      9 (12.9%)
      Joe Gomez
      9 (12.9%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Stefan Bajcetic
      18 (25.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Darwin Núñez
      25 (35.7%)
      Mohammed Salah
      7 (10%)
      Cody Gakpo
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      1 (1.4%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Voting closed: Feb 25, 2023 09:55:13 pm

Liverpool 2-5 Real Madrid: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 20470 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Re: Liverpool 2-5 Real Madrid: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #828: Feb 22, 2023 01:01:38 pm
      Unfortunately I think we've come to a point where our problem isn't only midfield...it's defense too. Gomez and Matip are not up to snuff anymore. Konate seems to always be injured (wasn't he injury prone when we bought him?), Virgil has looked ordinary, Trent isn't and never was a defensive juggernaut and how much longer is Robbo going to be able to go when he goes 100mph every single time he's on the pitch.

We really should have been addressing this the past few years, planning for the future instead of having every single one of our players seemingly decline at the same time. I as much as many thought we were ok, but I'm not a football manager or a director of football at a top club so for me to think "well....these players have challenged for everything so they are probably good enough" doesn't mean sh*t. Now we are in a position where we know we need some serious refreshing in the squad and we don't have the financial support to do that all at once. It's going to take a least a few years IF we spend fairly freely.
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,557 posts | 135 
      Reply #829: Feb 22, 2023 02:10:15 pm
      This mess is not getting fixed within 1 transfer window, we need multiple players.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Reply #830: Feb 22, 2023 02:15:06 pm
      I think we going to need another 1/2 new centre defenders
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #831: Feb 22, 2023 02:20:02 pm

Like one or two above mate I’ve calmed down a bit too, really thought we had them cnuts at long last, but in all honesty we got proper twatted, twatted by a side who knew exactly how to rip us apart, we of course played our own part in our own downfall with the kind of mistakes you would normally get away with against the average side, but not this lot, they exploited our weaknesses and played thru us with ease at times,

I’m still scratching my head as to what the f**k happened, after it became Desmond it went totally Tits up, watching it all happen in a kind of outer body experience , looking back we didn’t do a lot wrong, the odd school boy level mistake here & there obviously didn’t help but sometimes you just gotta take sh*t like this on the chin, a well oiled machine will always outgun a old red Jalopy,

We might have to suffer a repeat at their gaff and that’s like going to the dentist with a gob full of abscesses, not a lot of fun to be had in not so sunny Spain !!!

Know we made mistakes, and our form has only recently started to improve, but we just seem so brittle right now, ready to collapse at any minute. Just not good enough, and it's hard to take.  After 30 years we built a side and a squad good enough to win the league, and just feels like we've squandered it.

Know it not mathematically over, but we need a proper miracle.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #832: Feb 22, 2023 02:38:50 pm

Wow! Never  been the same since he got put on his last warning for spitting. To say he'd be happy to swap with VVD is somewhat surprising.    :o
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #833: Feb 22, 2023 02:45:47 pm
      Wow! Never  been the same since he got put on his last warning for spitting. To say he'd be happy to swap with VVD is somewhat surprising.    :o

he has become a SKY bi*ch for some reason he thinks criticising LFC gives him some credibility the mans a joke .
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #834: Feb 22, 2023 02:46:13 pm
      The decline cannot be explained with players alone. I am convinced that the opposition outsmarted Klopp‘s style.
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,557 posts | 135 
      Reply #835: Feb 22, 2023 03:17:17 pm
      he has become a SKY bi*ch for some reason he thinks criticising LFC gives him some credibility the mans a joke .

I will take a player like Carragher over most of our defenders right now. Carragher would be a starter in this team, same goes for Agger, Hypia as well.  The Liverpool team that Carragher played with would've trashed us at Anfield. Imagine our midfield against: Alonso, Gerrard, Mascherano and a pressing machine like: Kuyt and world class finisher like Torres. It still baffles me to this day how we didn't win a PL title with a midfield like that.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #836: Feb 22, 2023 03:30:16 pm
      Apart from the 5 goals we conceded and the performance in the second half, I actually thought we looked good in parts.

Does feel like an end of an era type feel. It’s not like the covid season where every defender was injured, this is players being no longer able to play klopps way.

The intensity in our strikers isn’t there and with Klopp the front three harassing and chasing is critical. Add to that the midfield no longer able to last 60 minutes in any game and then, the defence, which was always the most vulnerable part of the team, is now just exposed further.

Confidence has gone which sees more mistakes being made and heads have dropped completely.

It’s going to be an interesting summer (or a frustrating one) but we can build again.

As for the second leg, the odds are stacked against us….. it’s possible of course but I really can’t see it.

Good summary
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #837: Feb 22, 2023 03:30:17 pm
      I will take a player like Carragher over most of our defenders right now. Carragher would be a starter in this team, same goes for Agger, Hypia as well.  The Liverpool team that Carragher played with would've trashed us at Anfield. Imagine our midfield against: Alonso, Gerrard, Mascherano and a pressing machine like: Kuyt and world class finisher like Torres. It still baffles me to this day how we didn't win a PL title with a midfield like that.

the midfield trio of Gerrard Alonso and Masch I have mentioned many times as a comparison to what we have now its a good measure and sadly we are so far off with Hendo and Fab now.
      I cant remember the exact game but I think it was in 74 but we got slaughtered in a European game and that is where Emlyn Hughes and Phil Thompson's partnership started and playing out from the back ...yes 40 years ago we played with footballing centre backs and attacking fullbacks checkout Phil Neal and Alan Kennedy's goals in finals.
      So we have been here before and were honest enough to accept our faults and deal with them.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #838: Feb 22, 2023 03:34:09 pm
      The decline cannot be explained with players alone. I am convinced that the opposition outsmarted Klopp‘s style.

Majority is down to the players for me. You have a long transition ahead. I’ve never called Klopp whilst I’ve known him so not going to start now. All I’d say is he’s to much of a nice guy and shows loyalty to some players he shouldn’t.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #839: Feb 22, 2023 03:34:41 pm
      Same here mate. Apologies your way from me. I'm off this week ... couldn't sleep. Ended up going downstairs about 12.30 and had a couple of beers.

Alot calmer now. But still unhappy. I'll refrain from going after individuals today who I feel just arnt upto it. But losing 5 goals without reply at home ... and folding like a pack of cards is really troubling me.

Onto Palace away we go fellow reds. That will be very difficult.

Yeah, I have tried to remain positive but it was very hard after last night.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #840: Feb 22, 2023 03:36:04 pm
      [quote author =Aminegriffy link=topic=53376.msg2533849#msg2533849 date=1677079037]
      [/quote]

Maybe you slipped up. Sorry I couldn’t resist that one.  :lmao:
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #841: Feb 22, 2023 03:36:05 pm
      think we are all confused and frustrated the writing has been on the wall for all season. We are like a heavyweight champ who never new when he was beaten but now just shows glimpses of his former glory before getting hit by  a sucker punch. Ali,Virgil,Hendo,Robbo,Trent,Fab and Mo all started last night and have been incredibly consistent on a level that to be fair should have seen them win a lot more but luck and FFP have cheated them. We need a reset as we did when Jürgen came in and go again.

Like a lot of people just struggling to get around such a dramatic drop off.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #842: Feb 22, 2023 03:48:46 pm
      What time is it, 15:48, Wednesday.

Yup. Still feel like crying.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #843: Feb 22, 2023 03:57:30 pm
      It is easy to fault all stuff but they need our support. Support the team because they need it. Come on Reds, we need to work hard to win the next league match so to push those above us.

We need a miracle but miracles happen. Ymwa Reds
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #844: Feb 22, 2023 03:57:42 pm
      Have we stopped feeling sorry for ourselves yet

We can discect the game to death or we can put it down to one of those nights , dust ourselves down , roll up sleeve ls and dig in

Despite all the doom and gloom we still have some big games coming up - let’s keep getting the points on the board

We have been in this situation before and got out of it and we can do it again
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #845: Feb 22, 2023 05:36:39 pm
      Unfortunately I think we've come to a point where our problem isn't only midfield...it's defense too. Gomez and Matip are not up to snuff anymore. Konate seems to always be injured (wasn't he injury prone when we bought him?), Virgil has looked ordinary, Trent isn't and never was a defensive juggernaut and how much longer is Robbo going to be able to go when he goes 100mph every single time he's on the pitch.

We really should have been addressing this the past few years, planning for the future instead of having every single one of our players seemingly decline at the same time. I as much as many thought we were ok, but I'm not a football manager or a director of football at a top club so for me to think "well....these players have challenged for everything so they are probably good enough" doesn't mean sh*t. Now we are in a position where we know we need some serious refreshing in the squad and we don't have the financial support to do that all at once. It's going to take a least a few years IF we spend fairly freely.

I do think that part of the problem is that nobody saw this coming.  We were arguably the best team on the planet 12 months ago, and look at us now. Maybe some of this is down to the fact that Jürgen's tactical gameplan and the way he expects his teams to play (high pressing, high line, high energy) for 50+ games a season has just taken its toll?  Maybe it shortens the lifespan of the legs of some of the players when they play like this for 3, 4, or 5 years in a row?  Maybe we are just starting to see how this has really impacted the players we've got at the moment? 

It's just a theory to try to explain why this is happening to us now, but in the end it doesn't really matter why.  We are where we are... 

What is certain is that we need significant changes in the summer and that will require significant investment.  The scary part is that I don't see our owners giving Jürgen the amount of money he needs to immediately turn us back into title contenders.  I see them prefering to take a long term approach to overhauling the team, which means it will be 2-3 seasons before we have a good, cohesive side again. 
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #846: Feb 22, 2023 05:57:36 pm

F***ing hate Carra nowadays.

Soundbites like he's better than VVD are not what the club needs right now and someone who spent so long with us should know better. He just wants the headlines.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #847: Feb 22, 2023 05:58:00 pm
      Have we stopped feeling sorry for ourselves yet

We can discect the game to death or we can put it down to one of those nights , dust ourselves down , roll up sleeve ls and dig in

Despite all the doom and gloom we still have some big games coming up - let’s keep getting the points on the board

We have been in this situation before and got out of it and we can do it again

We are on the edge of going out - of the last competition we had a chance of winning anything in this season - in the first knockout game after getting hockied at home in the 1st leg, albiet to a very good side [2nd in La Liga], so think some of the reaction is very understandable.

Obviously we hope the team rally, but us breaking out the pom-poms in here, isn't going to fix our midfield or back 4.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #848: Feb 22, 2023 06:32:33 pm
      We are on the edge of going out - of the last competition we had a chance of winning anything in this season - in the first knockout game after getting hockied at home in the 1st leg, albiet to a very good side [2nd in La Liga], so think some of the reaction is very understandable.

Obviously we hope the team rally, but us breaking out the pom-poms in here, isn't going to fix our midfield or back 4.

It’s happens - you get knocked out of comps , it’s not the first time and won’t be the last time

But we move on
      RedBelle
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 732 posts | 121 
      Reply #849: Feb 22, 2023 06:39:17 pm
      I would like to say I felt better after a large glass and a night's sleep.... but I don't  :f_wah:
      End of an era definitely and like most supporters I still have hope that we can salvage something from this crap season and move up the table a bit at least.
      I have read most posts on here saying about investment in the squad for a long time now. We all know it's needed and has been needed  for a few years but I honestly can't see FSG coughing up £200 mill (conservative estimate) in the summer to bring in 3 decent players to bolster midfield - and then that's before we start on the dodgy defence. To say nothing about everyone seeing how desperate we are and holding us to ransom for every Tom, Dick and Harry who may come to us without the lure of CL football.

So here's my question - if FSG won't stump it up out of their vast wealth and if there's no investors stepping up or a magic money tree suddenly appearing outside the Shankly gates how would a new squad be financed?
      Would we be happy if FSG did the yank thing and plunge the club into debt like Old Toilet's owners?
      How do we rebuild without debt or investment?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #850: Feb 22, 2023 06:42:22 pm
        I see them prefering to take a long term approach to overhauling the team, which means it will be 2-3 seasons before we have a good, cohesive side again. 

I urge you not to look at the strategy they are employing with the Red Sox.....long term overhaul will be way more than 2-3 seasons.

Quick Reply