Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Madrid?

Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.4%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      9 (12.9%)
      Joe Gomez
      9 (12.9%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Stefan Bajcetic
      18 (25.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Darwin Núñez
      25 (35.7%)
      Mohammed Salah
      7 (10%)
      Cody Gakpo
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      1 (1.4%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Voting closed: Feb 25, 2023 09:55:13 pm

Liverpool 2-5 Real Madrid: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 21409 times
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,938 posts | 4994 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: Liverpool 2-5 Real Madrid: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #759: Feb 21, 2023 11:46:51 pm
      At least 5 out the door in the Summer

Only 5 Racer ? 

Adrian, Gomez, Matip, Milner, Ox, Naby, Jones, Thiago ? Hendo ? That’s seven I’ve named plus possibly Hendo & Thiago, of the Seven six are not good enough the rest too old now to play in a Klopp system, I’m prepared to wait a season or two for the rebuild to have some sort of fluidity and dare I say cohesion,

But one thing is for certain the successes we have enjoyed with this version of Klopp’s Liverpool is now consigned to the history archives, and should be dismantled completely within two transfer windows, that’s the minimum,

This debacle tonight should be used as a catalyst tell to JWH that his frugality has completed the circle, Jürgen turned us from Doubters to Believers, but now we’re all doubters again because in essence we have stagnated under the FSG banner of only spending what is generated, while our rivals have not only caught up but are now two/ three seasons ahead, that’s the reality !!

So what now going forward, well it’s inevitable that we will need to absolutely smash our transfer records in a attempt to enjoy the scraps from the top table, and gradually return to the kind of elation we’ve all enjoyed these last five years!!
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,689 posts | 146 
      Reply #760: Feb 21, 2023 11:50:27 pm

No point they are not going anywhere.
      Conman
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 43 posts | 13 
      Reply #761: Feb 21, 2023 11:52:00 pm
      I'm Virgils biggest fan, think he's naturally the best CB we've ever had.. but he's not been the same since his injury. He's a shadow of his former self. Don't get me started with Gomez.. he's got every attribute to be a world class CB.. but he continually switches off in big moments of big games. We can't continue to carry him anymore and he needs moving on immediately.

I'm not surprised with the result tonight, you neglect fixing weak areas within the team you pay the price.. we never learn.

You'd think the Karius carastrophy would have been a learning curb, but 5 years later we're still making the same mistake.
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,689 posts | 146 
      Reply #762: Feb 21, 2023 11:52:49 pm

Only 5 Racer ? 

Adrian, Gomez, Matip, Milner, Ox, Naby, Jones, Thiago ? Hendo ? That’s seven I’ve named plus possibly Hendo & Thiago, of the Seven six are not good enough the rest too old now to play in a Klopp system, I’m prepared to wait a season or two for the rebuild to have some sort of fluidity and dare I say cohesion,

But one thing is for certain the successes we have enjoyed with this version of Klopp’s Liverpool is now consigned to the history archives, and should be dismantled completely within two transfer windows, that’s the minimum,

This debacle tonight should be used as a catalyst tell to JWH that his frugality has completed the circle, Jürgen turned us from Doubters to Believers, but now we’re all doubters again because in essence we have stagnated under the FSG banner of only spending what is generated, while our rivals have not only caught up but are now two/ three seasons ahead, that’s the reality !!

So what now going forward, well it’s inevitable that we will need to absolutely smash our transfer records in a attempt to enjoy the scraps from the top table, and gradually return to the kind of elation we’ve all enjoyed these last five years!!

This cannot be fixed in one season realistically we cannot replace all those players in 1 season.. people who magically think this team is going to go back to our old level after 1 summer are all for a big shock.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #763: Feb 21, 2023 11:53:08 pm
      PRESS CONFERENCELiverpool 2-5 Real Madrid: Jürgen Klopp's reaction
      PUBLISHED 17 MINUTES AGO
      By James Carroll and Sam Williams at Anfield

Jürgen Klopp felt mistakes cost Liverpool after they ceded a two-goal lead and lost 5-2 to Real Madrid in the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie.

Darwin Nunez and Mohamed Salah scored early as the Reds flew out of the blocks at Anfield on Tuesday night, but Real responded and were back on level terms at the break through a Vinicius Jr brace.

Eder Militao made it 3-2 in the opening minutes of the second half, before Karim Benzema struck twice to earn Carlo Ancelotti's side a commanding advantage heading into the second leg in Madrid next month.

Read a summary of Klopp's post-match press conference below.

On the result and Liverpool's performance...

I really think everything was pretty obvious tonight; I think we gave all five goals away and that means we could have done better there, but they were all obviously different. The start in the game, in our situation where we are, it is really important that we see positive steps - and I think the first half was, besides the two goals we conceded, the best we've played for probably the whole season. I liked it a lot. OK, the second goal, we cannot defend better because it is a slapstick [moment], but it equalled pretty much our second goal that we scored. The first goal we conceded we have to defend better, there were enough players around, nobody puts a foot in and stuff like this. It's very tight and it is just a world-class moment from Vinicius then as well, but I think it is obvious we can defend it better.

Half-time, [it was] rather positive, to be honest. You think, 'OK, this happened... we have to play in this and that space, if we keep doing that they will have problems...' and then we start with conceding the third goal, which was a horrible goal and today it was pretty much the game-changer. We lost the momentum in that moment and never really got it back. In the first half we could have scored a third one, we had our moments, we were a bit unlucky with the scrappy situation in the six-yard box. In the second half, the game was the game Real Madrid wanted to play. Both of the other goals they scored, one is deflected and they are not really well defended, to be honest. We lose the ball in the wrong moment, which is obviously a massive problem against Real Madrid with the counter-attacking threat they have and that's how it came to the result. That's it.

On Ancelotti saying he doesn't believe the tie is over...

I think Carlo thinks the tie is over - and I think it as well in the moment, but in three weeks... it's how it is in these moments, the closer you get to the game the bigger our chances become and the less likely it is the tie is over. Tonight, with the 5-2 and you see the game, they are pretty good in counter-attacking and we have to score three goals there and take some risk, so that could be a bit tricky. It is really not even in my mind. We go there, I can say it now already, and try to win the game. If that is possible or not, I don't know now but that's what we will try and from there we will see.

On whether Joe Gomez picked up an injury...

We will see. He showed a little bit a sign but then we just made a decision. Now we will see and he will get checked tomorrow.

On whether he is concerned about what this result may do to the confidence of his players…

I can see that people think that, understandable, but that's actually not allowed. So, I told the boys directly after the game, there are different things that happened tonight, this was a result that was the exact opposite of what we wanted. We made mistakes around the goals, yes as well, and I said a couple of times that a defeat is a defeat if you don't learn from it. If you don't learn tonight that the start of the game was outstanding and the way we played was us in a nutshell, was us like we want to be, and that's what we have to keep doing. So if we now allow this one game to be influential, well, we are really silly.

We have a few days and we will make sure we take the right things out of this game. Yes, we have to improve, third goal massively, first goal massively, but we have to take the good things as well - that would be horrible if we don't do that. It's a different game than in Paris, of course, but anyway the intensity, the effort we showed, the football we played, pretty much everything was like how we want to see ourselves so we have to make sure that we keep that. I know, 5-2 could be damaging, but I hope I can make sure that is not happening.

On how Liverpool can sustain their level of performance in the first half over a full match…

I am not sure how often you watched us but we had periods where we played like this and it's not like you don't have to defend each opponent with that intensity… obviously Madrid is one of the best teams in the world so we don't face them, thankfully, every three days. There are things we have to improve, even in that period we could have been calmer on the ball. We prepared too much in these moments but it was really difficult to defend for Madrid I would say, much more than they wish for probably. But yes, it's the way we used to play, let me say it like this, in the past.

On how much of an impact Real's third goal coming just after half-time had on the match…

I really thought the 3-2 had a massive impact, I saw that as well. The 2-1 and the 2-2 not so much… my personal feeling was, 'first goal, OK, bad defending but well done as well, the second was slapstick but get over it and play from there and then the third goal directly after half-time, we didn't deal particularly well with that, that's true.' We don't want to concede goals but I think if we just think about the first half, everybody's impression was, 'Wow, that was a really good first half' even when we conceded two. I really thought our people saw it exactly like that, they were outstanding tonight in a difficult game. The first half it was not too difficult to be positive but in the second half when it was difficult to stay positive, they were positive and I am thankful for that.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,241 posts | 921 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #764: Feb 22, 2023 12:08:47 am
      Gomez should be no where that team
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #765: Feb 22, 2023 12:14:42 am
      Gomez should be no where that team

Can we not act like this loss is on Gomez’s shoulders? There were plenty of guys that didn’t get it done tonight. Mo missing a really good chance not long after his poached goal, he also misplaced a few different passes as did Fabinho, Bajetic and others. Hendo and Fab strolling around doing nothing the second half. Ali literally gifting them a goal when all he had to do was just send it long.

There’s enough blame to go around. Tired of seeing Joe victimized. Ok he didn’t play well but Klopp F***ing picked him and put him on the pitch.  Why not have a go at him for selecting him??!!!!
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,540 posts | 1091 
      Reply #766: Feb 22, 2023 12:16:45 am
      Jurgens presser there striking a familiar chord to most this season. Namely 'we did ok apart from the 1/2/3 goals we conceded etc.

We stood off them from the 15-20 minute Mark. Gifted them a goal and then did FA. 2nd half 'performance' was awful.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #767: Feb 22, 2023 12:20:53 am
      Jurgens presser there striking a familiar chord to most this season. Namely 'we did ok apart from the 1/2/3 goals we conceded etc.

We stood off them from the 15-20 minute Mark. Gifted them a goal and then did FA. 2nd half 'performance' was awful.

Actually you can stop reading his remarks after the first sentence: "I really think everything was pretty obvious tonight;"

Yes it was, Gaffer. Yes it was.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #768: Feb 22, 2023 12:33:37 am
      Truly embarrassing and a reflection of the level we’re currently at.

We started well. Two quick goals while playing at a fast tempo. Good pressing and the crowd reacted too.

A soft first goal to concede in my opinion. A great finish but we showed far too much respect and didn’t get anywhere near tight enough, letting Madrid play around our box.

The second was a howler by Ali. It happens. He has been our player of the season by a country mile so I can somewhat forgive him.

Half time. 2-2. At that point in the game we were relatively in control and shouldn’t have gone in level.

Second half we just fell apart completely. The crowd got all nervous and we couldn’t get near Madrid at all. They passed around us all night and made us look like a pub team.

They obviously scored their third early into the half with a ridiculous challenge by Gomez in a dangerous area and our heads dropped. As stupid as Gomez was, the defending of that set piece was equally as bad.

The 4th and 5th were even more shambolic.

This team cannot defend. Trent has always been suspect. Gomez is no longer a centre half and if he is to play then it has to be at right back. Virgil was finished a long time ago in truth when comparing the level he used to be at and Robertsons form has been on and off for the best part of 18 months now.

The midfield is shot too. Henderson and Fabinho were ridiculously poor in that second half. A 65 year old modric ran circles around them.

One positive to take though is bajcetic. Wasn’t his best game for us but he still never looked out of place against Europe’s best. Well done kid.

Don’t see what Gakpo offers to this team. When everybody’s fit I don’t think he comes anywhere near to the starting 11.

Thought we were badly missing Thiago and Diaz. This is the type of night and fixture they would have flourished in. That said, we probably need half a dozen new players to get back to our old level. The rapid decline of this team has been mental.

Don77

• 6,540 posts | 1091 
      Reply #769: Feb 22, 2023 12:33:52 am
      Actually you can stop reading his remarks after the first sentence: "I really think everything was pretty obvious tonight;"

Yes it was, Gaffer. Yes it was.

Not obvious enough it seems to change formation/players until we were completely buried though.

Only Brought Gomez off as he was injured.

We just didn't react.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,551 posts | 726 
      Reply #770: Feb 22, 2023 12:39:13 am
      Can we not act like this loss is on Gomez’s shoulders?

He's this months scapegoat. Early season it was Trent, then it was Fabinho, at some point it was Salah and Elliot. Before the end of the season it'll be at least 2 other players and everyone will start playing FIFA with the transfers. SELL 8 PLAYERS BUY 9 NEW ONES. (As if it ever happens) 
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #771: Feb 22, 2023 12:39:32 am
      We started well. Two quick goals while playing at a fast tempo. Good pressing and the crowd reacted too.

Sums up where we're at. A couple of season's ago we'd have gone on lashed a couple more in and ran riot.

Similar to Saturday instead of carrying on at that pace we slowed the pace and the usual silly mistakes came to the fore.

It could be called a Barry Endean moment.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #772: Feb 22, 2023 12:40:17 am
      Apart from the 5 goals we conceded and the performance in the second half, I actually thought we looked good in parts.

Does feel like an end of an era type feel. It’s not like the covid season where every defender was injured, this is players being no longer able to play klopps way.

The intensity in our strikers isn’t there and with Klopp the front three harassing and chasing is critical. Add to that the midfield no longer able to last 60 minutes in any game and then, the defence, which was always the most vulnerable part of the team, is now just exposed further.

Confidence has gone which sees more mistakes being made and heads have dropped completely.

It’s going to be an interesting summer (or a frustrating one) but we can build again.

As for the second leg, the odds are stacked against us….. it’s possible of course but I really can’t see it.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,171 posts | 1094 
      Reply #773: Feb 22, 2023 12:53:53 am
      Apart from the 5 goals we conceded and the performance in the second half, I actually thought we looked good in parts.

Does feel like an end of an era type feel. It’s not like the covid season where every defender was injured, this is players being no longer able to play klopps way.

The intensity in our strikers isn’t there and with Klopp the front three harassing and chasing is critical. Add to that the midfield no longer able to last 60 minutes in any game and then, the defence, which was always the most vulnerable part of the team, is now just exposed further.

Confidence has gone which sees more mistakes being made and heads have dropped completely.

It’s going to be an interesting summer (or a frustrating one) but we can build again.

As for the second leg, the odds are stacked against us….. it’s possible of course but I really can’t see it.

Solid post. Well said 👏
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts | 128 
      Reply #774: Feb 22, 2023 12:58:00 am
      Over the last couple of seasons we could have bought anyone.  Now we're going to have to be much cleverer in the transfer market, and it's going to probably cost us more.

This is the price of not investing properly in the squad when you are at your peak.  Instead we are praying for 18 year olds to fill gaps, still handing out year extensions to James Milner and it's been clear for some time that Henderson can barely play twice a fortnight never mind twice a week.  Joe Gomez hasn't been high quality for about 4 years.  Lots to do.

Be interesting to see how they get on with their £20M transfer budget.

Let's not forget that certain posters keep telling us that the owners have always backed Jürgen and he's always got who he wanted. I don't for one minute believe that between the option of Tchouameni and no one that there wasn't one midfielder in world football who was available and able to run for 3 games in a row and make some tackles. This Bellingham talk is pure bollocks, he won't actually sign for us for a dozen reasons and this time if we don't have a 2nd and 3rd choice we're fu**ed.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #775: Feb 22, 2023 01:04:56 am
      Reality check for Klopp and dare I say it a lot on the forum getting carried away with a win against a sh*te Everton and outplayed for huge parts of the game against a 10 man Newcastle.

Huge underlying issues tactically, physically and unfortunately mentally as you can see the players just capitulate once we go behind.

Mate.. ha ha that Everton game... come on. Was a night to be happy in a season of sh*te 😉
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #776: Feb 22, 2023 01:08:10 am

Honestly not having a go but probably one of the maddest first paragraphs I've read on here since I looked back and read the OP on the Steven Gerrard thread.

Says it all on where we're at I suppose.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #777: Feb 22, 2023 01:09:24 am
      Honestly not having a go but probably one of the maddest first paragraphs I've read on here since I looked back and read the OP on the Steven Gerrard thread.

Says it all on where we're at I suppose.

Go look at that OP anyway, folks. The comedy may cheer you up if you've never seen it
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #778: Feb 22, 2023 01:11:30 am
      Truly embarrassing and a reflection of the level we’re currently at.

A soft first goal to concede in my opinion. A great finish but we showed far too much respect and didn’t get anywhere near tight enough, letting Madrid play around our box.

The second was a howler by Ali. It happens. He has been our player of the season by a country mile so I can somewhat forgive him.

Half time. 2-2. At that point in the game we were relatively in control and shouldn’t have gone in level.

Second half we just fell apart completely. The crowd got all nervous and we couldn’t get near Madrid at all. They passed around us all night and made us look like a pub team.

They obviously scored their third early into the half with a ridiculous challenge by Gomez in a dangerous area and our heads dropped. As stupid as Gomez was, the defending of that set piece was equally as bad.

The 4th and 5th were even more shambolic.

This team cannot defend. Trent has always been suspect. Gomez is no longer a centre half and if he is to play then it has to be at right back. Virgil was finished a long time ago in truth when comparing the level he used to be at and Robertsons form has been on and off for the best part of 18 months now.

The midfield is shot too. Henderson and Fabinho were ridiculously poor in that second half. A 65 year old modric ran circles around them.

One positive to take though is bajcetic. Wasn’t his best game for us but he still never looked out of place against Europe’s best. Well done kid.

Don’t see what Gakpo offers to this team. When everybody’s fit I don’t think he comes anywhere near to the starting 11.

Thought we were badly missing Thiago and Diaz. This is the type of night and fixture they would have flourished in. That said, we probably need half a dozen new players to get back to our old level. The rapid decline of this team has been mental.

Bollocks that. Modric is only 51.
      harrydunn08

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #779: Feb 22, 2023 01:15:30 am
      Can we not act like this loss is on Gomez’s shoulders? There were plenty of guys that didn’t get it done tonight. Mo missing a really good chance not long after his poached goal, he also misplaced a few different passes as did Fabinho, Bajetic and others. Hendo and Fab strolling around doing nothing the second half. Ali literally gifting them a goal when all he had to do was just send it long.

There’s enough blame to go around. Tired of seeing Joe victimized. Ok he didn’t play well but Klopp f**king picked him and put him on the pitch.  Why not have a go at him for selecting him??!!!!

It's not solely on Joe.  There's plenty of others who deserve their share of blame for our sh*t form this season -- VVD, Trent, Matip, Fab, Hendo, Thiago, Elliot, Darwin, Mo -- none have been up to snuff. 

But tonight was a special kind of humiliation -- up 2-0 early, only to concede 5 unanswered on our home patch.  It was an absolute shambolic performance, and Joe really epitomized everything wrong with our side tonight.  So, while he is not the only one who bears guilt, he is also the poster boy for our embarrassing display tonight....
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,126 posts | 83 
      Reply #780: Feb 22, 2023 01:25:54 am
      So why cannot we press like we did back in the days of glory? Is it such a subtle and difficult task or isn't it more about havong a horses lung?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #781: Feb 22, 2023 02:26:25 am
      Not obvious enough it seems to change formation/players until we were completely buried though.

Only Brought Gomez off as he was injured.

We just didn't react.

Not about tactics, but quality.

Quick Reply