Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Madrid?

Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.4%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      9 (12.9%)
      Joe Gomez
      9 (12.9%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Stefan Bajcetic
      18 (25.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Darwin Núñez
      25 (35.7%)
      Mohammed Salah
      7 (10%)
      Cody Gakpo
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      1 (1.4%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Voting closed: Feb 25, 2023 09:55:13 pm

Liverpool 2-5 Real Madrid: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 20472 times
      ToshackKeeganOneNil
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 100 
      Re: Liverpool 2-5 Real Madrid: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #851: Feb 22, 2023 06:49:04 pm
      They all laugh at us
      They all mock at us
      They all say our days are numbered

Are they F**k!!
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #852: Feb 22, 2023 06:52:59 pm
      I would like to say I felt better after a large glass and a night's sleep.... but I don't  :f_wah:
      End of an era definitely and like most supporters I still have hope that we can salvage something from this crap season and move up the table a bit at least.
      I have read most posts on here saying about investment in the squad for a long time now. We all know it's needed and has been needed  for a few years but I honestly can't see FSG coughing up £200 mill (conservative estimate) in the summer to bring in 3 decent players to bolster midfield - and then that's before we start on the dodgy defence. To say nothing about everyone seeing how desperate we are and holding us to ransom for every Tom, Dick and Harry who may come to us without the lure of CL football.

So here's my question - if FSG won't stump it up out of their vast wealth and if there's no investors stepping up or a magic money tree suddenly appearing outside the Shankly gates how would a new squad be financed?
      Would we be happy if FSG did the yank thing and plunge the club into debt like Old Toilet's owners?
      How do we rebuild without debt or investment?

While i do not think we need a rebuild, during the most important transformational period we had, the 2 years where all of Van Dijk, Alisson, Salah, Fabinho and Robertson arrived, we spent >$300M on them and the other incomings. Not concerned about Jürgen getting what he needs to make the changes he wants.
      RedBelle
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 732 posts | 121 
      Reply #853: Feb 22, 2023 06:55:57 pm
      While i do not think we need a rebuild, during the most important transformational period we had, the 2 years where all of Van Dijk, Alisson, Salah, Fabinho and Robertson arrived, we spent >$300M on them and the other incomings. Not concerned about Jürgen getting what he needs to make the changes he wants.
      But weren't Ali and VVD funded by our selling Couthino?
      We really don't have that quality to sell now do we?  I understand what you're saying about no rebuild but we do need new players don't we? And do you think FSG will give Jürgen what he needs?
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #854: Feb 22, 2023 06:58:16 pm
      But weren't Ali and VVD funded by our selling Couthino?
      We really don't have that quality to sell now do we?  I understand what you're saying about no rebuild but we do need new players don't we? And do you think FSG will give Jürgen what he needs?

If Jürgen is able to buy the players he wants/needs, who cares how much of that is recovered via sales of players people want gone?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #855: Feb 22, 2023 07:04:39 pm
      Like a lot of people just struggling to get around such a dramatic drop off.

maybe some players have just given us everything they can physically and emotionally. This season for me is start bad go a goal down and fall apart, start really well but dont score fall apart, we just cant keep the pressure on like we used to just remember the Barca game or the City game we blew them away with total pressure . Injuries have been a bi*ch, players out of form if you could have said how a season could be fu**ed up we have had to deal with it sometimes not too well.
      I am over last night its done no point in trying to understand it when even Jürgen seems lost. Palace next a great way to reset go there and really show the world Jürgen is bold when needed to be and the players have pride in themselves and the shirt COYR YNWA
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #856: Feb 22, 2023 07:25:59 pm
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #857: Feb 22, 2023 07:28:31 pm
      For the first time in a while, a result of ours has haunted my dreams, I haven't been able to get rid of the uneasy feeling after what unfolded yesterday and the whole work day I have thought about posting in this thread, mainly to vent my thoughts.

I can't work out if I am pissed off at just how bad we were after going 2-0 up or whether Madrid are simply levels above us right now, I think it is a bit of both.

We did exactly what we needed to do with those first two goals, I for the first time since losing Mane and Nunez came in thought our front three were getting to grips with the press. Nunez, Gakpo and Salah it all seemed to click and they were starting to link up well together as well as playing their roles well, Gakpo was comfortable coming deep and holding up the ball, Nunez and Salah making the runs in behind, it was all going so well.

However, unfortunately, the front three is not the spine of the team and that spine is where we were most exposed, Henderson was a step off it, the young lad got too comfortable in possession not fully appreciating who he was up against and the cost of a turnover. VVD and Gomez were pedestrians through the middle and just did not show any reason to have confidence in them moving forward tbh.

I wasn't happy with the substitutions if I am being honest, like for like when the game is near enough finished already didn't make sense to me, go for it gung ho, one goal can get the crowd back, and one goal could have easily led to two, to do this we need more attacking players.

I have always told other fans this team can do no wrong for me, they have got so much right and made us fans so happy the last 5-6 years but that performance last night for me was the last straw, they really need to get their sh*t together and this summer needs to be a big one. We have too many passengers in the team who do not have it in their legs anymore nor their mind, we are no longer mentality monsters I am afraid.

We will be back though, who knows might cause an upset in the return leg, crazier things have happened!

YNWA
      RedBelle
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 732 posts | 121 
      Reply #858: Feb 22, 2023 07:33:41 pm
      If Jürgen is able to buy the players he wants/needs, who cares how much of that is recovered via sales of players people want gone?
      I don't care if the money is recovered but if FSG don't dip their hands in the pockets where are we going to get the money from to give to Jürgen to get the players he wants?
      I am just bothered that we could end up in gazillions of debt like the tossers down the East Lancs cos the only way I can see Jürgen getting any dosh is FSG borrowing against the club!
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #859: Feb 22, 2023 07:55:02 pm
      I don't care if the money is recovered but if FSG don't dip their hands in the pockets where are we going to get the money from to give to Jürgen to get the players he wants?
      I am just bothered that we could end up in gazillions of debt like the tossers down the East Lancs cos the only way I can see Jürgen getting any dosh is FSG borrowing against the club!

The club doesn’t need to have £200-250mil sat in the bank ready to spend on players

There are many ways they could buy players for that level of money - the fees will be amortised over the years , players bought in instalments , add on’s etc , have the club make a loss to then look to make it

It doesn’t need the owners to raid their own piggy bank and we certainly aren’t going to start taking out loans to buy players
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,976 posts | 666 
      Reply #860: Feb 22, 2023 08:13:33 pm
      For the first time in a while, a result of ours has haunted my dreams, I haven't been able to get rid of the uneasy feeling after what unfolded yesterday and the whole work day I have thought about posting in this thread, mainly to vent my thoughts.

I can't work out if I am pissed off at just how bad we were after going 2-0 up or whether Madrid are simply levels above us right now, I think it is a bit of both.

We did exactly what we needed to do with those first two goals, I for the first time since losing Mane and Nunez came in thought our front three were getting to grips with the press. Nunez, Gakpo and Salah it all seemed to click and they were starting to link up well together as well as playing their roles well, Gakpo was comfortable coming deep and holding up the ball, Nunez and Salah making the runs in behind, it was all going so well.

However, unfortunately, the front three is not the spine of the team and that spine is where we were most exposed, Henderson was a step off it, the young lad got too comfortable in possession not fully appreciating who he was up against and the cost of a turnover. VVD and Gomez were pedestrians through the middle and just did not show any reason to have confidence in them moving forward tbh.

I wasn't happy with the substitutions if I am being honest, like for like when the game is near enough finished already didn't make sense to me, go for it gung ho, one goal can get the crowd back, and one goal could have easily led to two, to do this we need more attacking players.

I have always told other fans this team can do no wrong for me, they have got so much right and made us fans so happy the last 5-6 years but that performance last night for me was the last straw, they really need to get their sh*t together and this summer needs to be a big one. We have too many passengers in the team who do not have it in their legs anymore nor their mind, we are no longer mentality monsters I am afraid.

We will be back though, who knows might cause an upset in the return leg, crazier things have happened!

YNWA
      You know, I know and everyone else knows this squad is burnt out. They've given us the greatest of prizes and we'll be forever grateful but their day is done. It sort of hurts to dig them out after the joy they've given us.....But we have to move on with a younger, fitter squad....There's no alternative.
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #861: Feb 22, 2023 08:21:13 pm

Seen a better set up with my U10s Girls team staggering really
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #862: Feb 22, 2023 08:23:35 pm
      just a reminder we beat City 5-1 over two legs and they seemed to recover ok
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,976 posts | 666 
      Reply #863: Feb 22, 2023 08:43:19 pm

Disagree, I thought the young lad was brilliant, he’s 18 ffs, yes he made a mistake or two but who didn’t? For Jürgen to trust the lad to start against the best side in Europe is testament to how good the lad is, I cannot for the life of me understand why he’s getting pelters when for me he was certainly one of the best in Red, what kind of statement does it say if you dragged the lad off at HT,

You can’t fill the lad with confidence giving him a start against RM then kick his legs from under him 45 mins later, what kind of message does that relay to him or to those who could potentially follow in his footsteps ?

If anyone is slow to react it’s our owners, most of us would see our demise coming and acted accordingly by providing Jürgen with the necessary funds to keep the wheels in motion, but we have stagnated now to the point where it will cost us Millions more than perhaps it should have.

Get off the young lads back, he’s done absolutely f**k all wrong to warrant all this disdain, he wasn’t a boy amongst men last night, he was every bit as good as those who have been playing for decades, the experience he is gaining is absolutely priceless and will stand him and LFC in good stead for years to come!!
      The lad fully deserved his place in the side and Klopp was right to select him. He fought hard and no one could accuse him of not trying, but too many passes went straight to the opposition...blind little one touch flicks, good on the eye when they work, but costly when they don't, giving the ball away to this team was an invitation they were never going to squander. What psychological damage to the lads development with taking him off? who knows, and there's no guarantee his replacement would have been any better...but it looked like he was playing in a game written by Flan O Brian, upside down and back to front...It was like trying to play football on the waltzer's, on a pitch painted by Salvador Dali.... You could argue you were protecting him by withdrawing him when it was became obvious he was not yet ready for this level of competition.  Sorry, but that was my view.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #864: Feb 22, 2023 08:47:27 pm
      Few players worth keeping, but a lot need moving on which is a shame because they’ve given us all memorable moments over the last few years. But sentiment will get us nowhere. IMO Allison, Trent, Robbo,  Darwin are defo worth keeping out of the starting 11. Trent needs to change to a proper winger as his attacking play is great but all to often his defensive capabilities let him down. I haven’t mentioned the young lads or injured parties because they’re not regularly played atm…
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #865: Feb 22, 2023 08:48:56 pm
      The lad fully deserved his place in the side and Klopp was right to select him. He fought hard and no one could accuse him of not trying, but too many passes went straight to the opposition...blind little one touch flicks, good on the eye when they work, but costly when they don't, giving the ball away to this team was an invitation they were never going to squander. What psychological damage to the lads development with taking him off? who knows, and there's no guarantee his replacement would have been any better...but it looked like he was playing in a game written by Flan O Brian, upside down and back to front...It was like trying to play football on the waltzer's, on a pitch painted by Salvador Dali.... You could argue you were protecting him by withdrawing him when it was became obvious he was not yet ready for this level of competition.  Sorry, but that was my view.

In that case can you imagine the psychological damage to Jones who didn’t even make it off the bench with Milner ahead of him 🤭
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #866: Feb 22, 2023 08:49:19 pm
      You know, I know and everyone else knows this squad is burnt out. They've given us the greatest of prizes and we'll be forever grateful but their day is done. It sort of hurts to dig them out after the joy they've given us.....But we have to move on with a younger, fitter squad....There's no alternative.

Yeah they are burnt out and from Klopp's interviews he has no intent on changing the style in which he wants to play. So we need to make sure that the players we have fit that style.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #867: Feb 22, 2023 08:56:37 pm
      Few players worth keeping, but a lot need moving on which is a shame because they’ve given us all memorable moments over the last few years. But sentiment will get us nowhere. IMO Allison, Trent, Robbo,  Darwin are defo worth keeping out of the starting 11. Trent needs to change to a proper winger as his attacking play is great but all to often his defensive capabilities let him down. I haven’t mentioned the young lads or injured parties because they’re not regularly played atm…

See so many of these posts, do you think Trent just wonders off into the midfield vacating his position on a whim?
      It’s what the coaching team want, criticise the tactics not the player. Don’t get me wrong Trent is no defensive Maldini but when he stays out wide he’s not as bad as he is made to be (still get nightmares of Aly Sissokho 😩), Trent has issues like high balls crossed into the far post.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #868: Feb 22, 2023 08:59:28 pm
      Anyone not in the ground last night aware there was a protest over the F***ing shambles in Paris?

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceLFC/status/1628422036144984067?s=19

https://twitter.com/Raotl_TheRattle/status/1628135712770998272?s=19

The one in blue with writing was originally blocked at the bottom of 108 with stewards trying to stop fans walk along the front of the kop with it, well done to the lads in that corner of Lower KD stand that literally kept hold of it, hoisted it into the stand and passed it right down the stand and around Into the anny Rd.

Also believe BT were shithouses lowering the volume on the chants of "F**k Uefa" to the tune of "F**k the tories"
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,976 posts | 666 
      Reply #869: Feb 22, 2023 11:29:06 pm
      Anyone not in the ground last night aware there was a protest over the f**king shambles in Paris?

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceLFC/status/1628422036144984067?s=19

https://twitter.com/Raotl_TheRattle/status/1628135712770998272?s=19

The one in blue with writing was originally blocked at the bottom of 108 with stewards trying to stop fans walk along the front of the kop with it, well done to the lads in that corner of Lower KD stand that literally kept hold of it, hoisted it into the stand and passed it right down the stand and around Into the anny Rd.

Also believe BT were shithouses lowering the volume on the chants of "F**k Uefa" to the tune of "F**k the tories"
      I don't know but my guess would be the broadcaster is under a legal duty to mute "inappropriate" language as part of its remit.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #870: Feb 23, 2023 02:26:59 am

Disagree, I thought the young lad was brilliant, he’s 18 ffs, yes he made a mistake or two but who didn’t? For Jürgen to trust the lad to start against the best side in Europe is testament to how good the lad is, I cannot for the life of me understand why he’s getting pelters when for me he was certainly one of the best in Red, what kind of statement does it say if you dragged the lad off at HT,

That lad aside, Klopp also trusted Gomez. His judgement is shot, and no one can have faith in it right now. Time and time again he's choosing players who are underperforming and don't deserve to play. Honestly, Klopp needs to have a good look in the mirror and have a word with himself. His performance this season has been as bad as any player. Him and the rest of our management.

Summer break can't come fast enough.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #871: Feb 23, 2023 10:31:11 am
      That lad aside, Klopp also trusted Gomez. His judgement is shot, and no one can have faith in it right now. Time and time again he's choosing players who are underperforming and don't deserve to play. Honestly, Klopp needs to have a good look in the mirror and have a word with himself. His performance this season has been as bad as any player. Him and the rest of our management.

Summer break can't come fast enough.

Well shoving yer head back under the duvet and hoping for summer will get us nowhere. Chucking the towel in is not an option. Ditto the blame game.

The players need to come out fighting, get as many points as poss, use Nunez's pace etc. That IS THE ONLY OPTION...all the rest is propaganda..

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #872: Feb 23, 2023 11:37:42 am
      Well shoving yer head back under the duvet and hoping for summer will get us nowhere. Chucking the towel in is not an option. Ditto the blame game.

The players need to come out fighting, get as many points as poss, use Nunez's pace etc. That IS THE ONLY OPTION...all the rest is propaganda..

Defo mate.

We fight on, Forward line is dyno. we just need to cut out the mistakes at the back, and get the ball forward quickly. We can get top 4 still plenty games to play.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #873: Feb 23, 2023 11:51:34 am
      It will be interesting to see the line up against Crystal Palace on Saturday evening, after the debacle on Tuesday. Players really need to focus on the league, from now until the end of the season. It is no point simply going through the motions, players must focus on improving and finish as high up in the table as possible.

Quick Reply