Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Madrid?

Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.4%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      9 (12.9%)
      Joe Gomez
      9 (12.9%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Stefan Bajcetic
      18 (25.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Darwin Núñez
      25 (35.7%)
      Mohammed Salah
      7 (10%)
      Cody Gakpo
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      1 (1.4%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Voting closed: Feb 25, 2023 09:55:13 pm

Liverpool 2-5 Real Madrid: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 20447 times
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Re: Liverpool 2-5 Real Madrid: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #874: Feb 23, 2023 01:09:50 pm
      just a reminder we beat City 5-1 over two legs and they seemed to recover ok

we also beat Utd 5-0 at their place last season and they are doing alright
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #875: Feb 23, 2023 02:37:06 pm
      https://streamin.me/v/68b88a63

What the actual f**k is this defending from about 3 or 4 different guys, especially our DM.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #876: Feb 23, 2023 02:44:00 pm
      https://streamin.me/v/68b88a63

What the actual f**k is this defending from about 3 or 4 different guys, especially our DM.
      Only 3 Liverpool players NOT in the box when the gift was served.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #877: Feb 23, 2023 03:01:18 pm
      we also beat Utd 5-0 at their place last season and they are doing alright

Yeah but they’ve invested and got a new manager!
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #878: Feb 23, 2023 03:07:52 pm
      They are all professionals, must simply move on and carry on where they left off, after beating Newcastle away, which was a very decent result.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #879: Feb 23, 2023 08:23:25 pm
      I don't think we play with a midfield tactically

what midfield ?
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #880: Feb 23, 2023 08:30:59 pm
      They are all professionals, must simply move on and carry on where they left off, after beating Newcastle away, which was a very decent result.

Depends which way you look at it. The way I look at it even against 10 men for 70 minutes we couldn't control the game and with better finishing we could easily have shipped 5 and lost the game. We gave up far too much.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #881: Feb 24, 2023 12:07:41 am
      Still can't fathom what the F**k happened in that 2nd half.

That's a F***ing catastrophe!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #882: Feb 24, 2023 04:47:31 am
      I still stand by my theory that somehow the opposition outsmarted Klopp‘s football system. After all they had 7 years time to develop a counter strategy. That, in addition with some fatigue and age, could explain our decline.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #883: Feb 24, 2023 04:52:09 am
      By the way: do not think its over. Real will not go 100% at Bernabeau with such a lead, while we can go all-in happily. If we have some game luck and score two goals then Real will get nervous and we might get another Istanbul. This is actually the perfect opportunity to write history again. To win 0-3 is not impossible, just improbable and we have actually 90min. time, not just 45min.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #884: Feb 24, 2023 04:42:32 pm
      By the way: do not think its over. Real will not go 100% at Bernabeau with such a lead, while we can go all-in happily. If we have some game luck and score two goals then Real will get nervous and we might get another Istanbul. This is actually the perfect opportunity to write history again. To win 0-3 is not impossible, just improbable and we have actually 90min. time, not just 45min.

Obviously need 4 without reply to win…

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #885: Feb 24, 2023 06:12:35 pm

Mate it’s impossible
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #886: Feb 24, 2023 07:08:59 pm

Nothing is impossible and we have shown that many times
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,709 posts | 162 
      Reply #887: Feb 24, 2023 09:00:20 pm

Love your optimism man really do and I am aways trying to look on the bright side of things but this game just brought me back down to earth with a bang. While there's always hope and f**k we all know too well anything can happen but just can't see it. Keep the good vibes going though, fair play..sorry was meant to quote the original post by London Red
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #888: Feb 24, 2023 10:03:51 pm
      A 0-3 win for us is so unlikely as to not even be worth the debate. 0-3 wouldn't even put us through....anyway as I say it's not going to happen.
      Instead of the dreaming of rewriting history I suspect 99.9% of us would just prefer to lick our wounds, and see the team regain some identity to get 3 points at Palace.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #889: Feb 24, 2023 10:30:34 pm
      Still can't fathom what the f**k happened in that 2nd half.

That's a f**king catastrophe!
      It wasn't the second half only. If you go back and watch the game you can see the mental breakdown started as soon as they scored their first. The poor defensive display was on from the first minute of the game and became very noticeable as soon as RM got a hold of the ball for a few times around our box.

The referee whistled the end of the first half and the thought that I was taking with me to the break was that ''the best we can do now is end this game at 2-2 because we look so fragile a half-time team talk is not nearly enough to give us back the upper hand''.

• Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #890: Feb 24, 2023 10:35:24 pm
      Real will play with 80% bc why bother with this kind of lead. Any team will do that subconsciously. That is our chance. Do u think those first 20 min. with two goals cannot happen again? And then its 0-2 and Real might get nervous…. If Klopp can get them ready to rumble like Rafa did for the 2nd half in Istanbul, the sky is the limit.

You can only do history when you are supposed to be done by anybody. That gets a check. So our guys should look forward to try to make history. Advancing over Real by playing at their house would top 4-0 Barca (but still behind scoring 3 in 45 min. in CL final 2005).
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #891: Feb 24, 2023 10:48:16 pm
      Real will play with 80% bc why bother with this kind of lead. Any team will do that subconsciously. That is our chance. Do u think those first 20 min. with two goals cannot happen again? And then its 0-2 and Real might get nervous…. If Klopp can get them ready to rumble like Rafa did for the 2nd half in Istanbul, the sky is the limit.

You can only do history when you are supposed to be done by anybody. That gets a check. So our guys should look forward to try to make history. Advancing over Real by playing at their house would top 4-0 Barca (but still behind scoring 3 in 45 min. in CL final 2005).
      I think that anything is possible in football. With that said, I think the reason a lot of of people will show skepticism towards the idea that we can pull a surprise is the overall form of the team over the course of the season and more specifically our complete inability at keeping a clean sheet. When you're trying to pull those second leg miracles you need a lot of things to go right at the same time, including being very solid defensively.

I can see people being invested in the second leg if we manage to put this loss behind us and continue right where we left off in the league and produce a couple of convincing displays where our backline truly looks solid. Keep in mind we still looked pretty shaky defensively against both Everton and Newcastle and had it not been for Ali who knows what would've happened.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #892: Feb 24, 2023 11:27:19 pm

Not going to happen...We score 2 in the first 15 mins....you think RM get nervous..Why? We'd still need to score another 1 without reply just to get to pens. IF Madrid need to score on the night, they'll score...if they don't need to, they might not. Either way we are not going to be in the next round....Having said that I hope we beat them 6-0
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #893: Feb 25, 2023 01:51:04 am
      Of course our chances are slim, but above none. Its not like Real beat us 0-7. Trust me if we get an early lead, Real might get nervous, esp. when its 0-2 in 80th. Because anyone who ever did competitive sports knows that creeping feeling when you dominate a game and all of a sudden your opponent gets on the verge of coming back. It is a feeling of guilt and shame and nervousness and blame that you could not finish him properly but need to fight hard again. That stuff can bring you down.

So I guess what I mean is this: Jürgen should give it a proper try with our strongest 11, not bringing our youngsters to get some CL experience.
      Crunchycrisps
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts | 85 
      Reply #894: Feb 25, 2023 09:31:16 am
      Of course our chances are slim, but above none. Its not like Real beat us 0-7. Trust me if we get an early lead, Real might get nervous, esp. when its 0-2 in 80th. Because anyone who ever did competitive sports knows that creeping feeling when you dominate a game and all of a sudden your opponent gets on the verge of coming back. It is a feeling of guilt and shame and nervousness and blame that you could not finish him properly but need to fight hard again. That stuff can bring you down.

So I guess what I mean is this: Jürgen should give it a proper try with our strongest 11, not bringing our youngsters to get some CL experience.
      If anyone can do the extraordinary in the Euro cup it's Liverpool so I don't just assume it's over. The main concern though is that we can't seem to sustain any type of gegen football, rock football or whatever for the full 90. I'd like to see the players a bit pissed off, offended and wanting revenge over there. Want to hear the commentators screeching in delight and surprise as we pull off the most unlikely comeback away from home.
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #895: Feb 25, 2023 11:05:27 am

Our midfield has been abysmal all season but if you look at the front 3. They no longer press defenders. Game after game we see Ali, VVD pressed, pressed all the time. Look at the other end and although we do press some of the time, it's very haphazard. And that it turn puts the midfield on the back foot.

In short we are not defending from the front and if the midfield isn't as sharp as it once was, the net result is we are easy to play through.

Happening all season..Real had a free pass..and used it to the max.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #896: Feb 25, 2023 11:39:58 am
      First 15 Real M. thought they were playing the same Liverpool as Paris, but very quickly realised they were not, and that this LFC midfield could be carved through with ease. Combine that with a static defence and RM just steamrollered us, I think they were more surprised than most of us...they won't get an easier Champions League game. For me it wasn't a case of them being so great, more us ...well, basically inept.

Quick Reply