Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Football Governance White Paper

Read 1435 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Football Governance White Paper
      Feb 23, 2023 11:53:50 am
      https://twitter.com/skysportsnews/status/1628676124065538050?s=46&t=P31WERBGgvkVaPTMtRy1pw

It’s a shame it’s too late to save the likes of Bury

But hopefully it will protect clubs going forward

Also I like the idea of more money filtering down the leagues and into grass roots 
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,232 posts | 751 
      Re: Football Governance White Paper
      Reply #1: Feb 23, 2023 12:00:21 pm
      It is a great shame to see smaller clubs fold up through lack of finance. After all these clubs form the grassroots of football, by providing players who break through the ranks to become household names.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #2: Feb 23, 2023 12:27:34 pm
      I like the idea, let’s hope nothing gets in the way.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #3: Feb 23, 2023 05:36:51 pm
      I like the idea, let’s hope nothing gets in the way.

I see the c**t at West Ham is already whingeing about it.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #4: Feb 23, 2023 06:11:39 pm

Yep

He knows it takes money away from his club

Every single fan should be behind it and the clubs should also - especially to filter the money to the grass roots and lower leagues but we know the greed will make them fight it
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #5: Feb 23, 2023 07:15:18 pm
      I don’t get why the Clubs in lower leagues should get filtered down payments?

And it’s not me being greedy or controversial I just don’t understand why they need it?

My local corner shop doesn’t get hand outs from Asda.

Surely if these lower league clubs need more money then they are not living within their means?

Grassroots at a youth level I get but not so much the lower league clubs.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #6: Feb 23, 2023 08:29:23 pm

Which kunt is that.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #7: Feb 23, 2023 08:49:52 pm

The one that isn't dead!!

Sullivan
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #8: Feb 23, 2023 08:51:52 pm
      The one that isn't dead!!

Sullivan

You don’t take any prisoners do you.  :lmao:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #9: Feb 23, 2023 09:08:27 pm
      You don’t take any prisoners do you.  :lmao:

It's the usual greedy crying fuckers crying over this regulator though.

PL CEO Richard Masters whingeing saying you have to watch it doesn't take the game sidewards or backwards and Parrish of Palace having a bi*ch too.

And it’s not me being greedy or controversial I just don’t understand why they need it?

Surely if these lower league clubs need more money then they are not living within their means?

Rich get richer, not exactly a good look is it?
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #10: Feb 23, 2023 10:09:40 pm
      It's the usual greedy crying fuckers crying over this regulator though.

PL CEO Richard Masters whingeing saying you have to watch it doesn't take the game sidewards or backwards and Parrish of Palace having a bi*ch too.

Rich get richer, not exactly a good look is it?

That’s football though, right?
      If you are in league two and you can’t make ends meet then you either are paying too much in wages or it’s simply not a viable business model?

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #11: Feb 23, 2023 10:18:53 pm

This is actually an interesting point.

Grassroots I'd challenge anyone to argue against as you say but your point about lower league clubs is definitely a discussion point.

Most of us who are comfortable enough with our current owners mention a lot about the club within its means so surely if we like that for our club that should be the ambition for all clubs?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #12: Feb 23, 2023 10:19:12 pm
      Not holding my breath that this will make any difference
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1191 
      Reply #13: Feb 23, 2023 10:31:47 pm

I think you (unintentionally) do a disservice to the history of these institutions. Football clubs are community assets whose heritage and social value marks them out as fundamentally distinct from other types of business. That is why solidarity payments exist. There is a recognition that cubs are part of a wider system mutually dependent on one another. If buying a four pack of lager from your local corner shop inspires in you as much delight and ecstasy as watching the redmen win trophies that's a troubling state of affairs.

Far from encouraging clubs to live beyond their means, a more equitable distribution of funding (in tandem with rules on financial management) would promote financial health by reducing financial disparities which lessens the incentive for clubs to gamble beyond their means in order to achieve promotion or avoid relegation.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #14: Feb 23, 2023 10:39:33 pm
      I think you (unintentionally) do a disservice to the history of these institutions. Football clubs are community assets whose heritage and social value marks them out as fundamentally distinct from other types of business. That is why solidarity payments exist. There is a recognition that cubs are part of a wider system mutually dependent on one another. If buying a four pack of lager from your local corner shop inspires in you as much delight and ecstasy as watching the redmen win trophies that's a troubling state of affairs.

Far from encouraging clubs to live beyond their means, a more equitable distribution of funding (in tandem with rules on financial management) would promote financial health by reducing financial disparities which lessens the incentive for clubs to gamble beyond their means in order to achieve promotion or avoid relegation.

I see your point. I just don’t think they should get payments. Some of these clubs are losing tens of thousands a week. They get less than a thousand fans attend. At the end of the day it’s a business.
      Communities have lots of traditions. Some old pubs or shops that have been there since before football even existed. But they close down and become car parks if they don’t make ends meet.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #15: Feb 23, 2023 10:43:52 pm

Well made point. Far more to life than money.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #16: Feb 24, 2023 09:43:09 pm
      Well made point. Far more to life than money.

Tell that to FSG
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #17: Feb 25, 2023 12:24:14 pm

Not just community assets but institutions that have been, in some cases, absolutely financially raped by unscrupulous greedy b***ard owners.

Look at what Deadpool and Always Sunny in Philadelphia are doing with Wrexham and how the football club can benefit a community.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #18: Feb 25, 2023 12:44:21 pm

The thread isn’t another FSG punchbag
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2050 
      Reply #19: Feb 25, 2023 01:29:16 pm

Great post
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 727 posts | 111 
      Reply #20: Feb 25, 2023 02:14:56 pm
      I see your point. I just don’t think they should get payments. Some of these clubs are losing tens of thousands a week. They get less than a thousand fans attend. At the end of the day it’s a business.
      Communities have lots of traditions. Some old pubs or shops that have been there since before football even existed. But they close down and become car parks if they don’t make ends meet.

I guess it comes down to our values and what we want to prioritise in life. Do we want to work together to help preserve tradition and local communities etc ... or, do we want more car parks?

You talk about it like it's a natural event like a hurricane or earthquake ... it isn't. It is something we can work to protect and preserve - if we want to.

For all their faults, FSG are an interesting example of this. Ticket prices at Liverpool have been frozen for a number of years now - for the owners that means (in real terms) they have fallen. But the demand for tickets is huge - they could probably double the prices if they wanted to and still sell out most games such is the demand. It'd be hugely unpopular and it would harm relations with fans but, like you say, football is a business.

Quick Reply