Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-Match: Liverpool v Manchester United; Sunday 5th March 16:30

Read 4255 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Pre-Match: Liverpool v Manchester United; Sunday 5th March 16:30
      Mar 03, 2023 10:24:14 pm
      We are coming back into form but United have put together a decent season so far. Of course to read the British press, you'd think they were winning every trophy in sight. OK, nice League Cup win for them, but let's not go crazy just yet.

I think for most fans of my age, this is the team we want to see the boys stuff most. What I used to get over here for a long time was  every American who knew a little bit about football, would automatically jump on United's bandwagon whilst they were winning trophies. Now that new fandom is spread out among a number of teams (including us), but we went through enough years where United were ascendant. Now we've been above them for a good 5-7 years and I really do not want to see them pass us...

So let's beat these.
      « Last Edit: Mar 03, 2023 10:30:56 pm by JD »
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool v Manchester United; Sunday 5th March 16:30
      Reply #1: Mar 03, 2023 10:32:45 pm
      Ali
      Trent
      VVD
      Ibou
      Robbo
      Fab
      Bajet8c
      Hendo
      Nunez
      Gakpo
      Mo
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #2: Mar 03, 2023 10:42:08 pm
      Just win this.
      We will need to be on our game though. I think 2-2
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,638 posts | 449 
      Reply #3: Mar 04, 2023 12:32:08 am
      They will attack Trentā€™s side for 90 minutes. Rashford in incredible form. Going to be tough.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #4: Mar 04, 2023 04:26:17 am
      1-4. We are just not good enough and they will try to get revenge for the last years. Just for the record, I hope we win 2-1, maybe Fab will be his old self. A win over these c*nts would go a long way to get us back on track.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #5: Mar 04, 2023 05:25:15 am
      So, our downfall started at OT when we were expected to stuff them there. Their ā€œriseā€ started in that reverse fixture when they were least expected to pull one over us.

It is only natural that we return the favour amidst booming cries of Si Senor!
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,609 posts | 365 
      Reply #6: Mar 04, 2023 07:21:06 am
      A City, Arsenal Liverpool treble would be lovely this weekend
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #7: Mar 04, 2023 08:25:54 am
      Bizarre really. If anyone had said last season I'd be worried about a game against these I'd have laughed my head off.

But as it is I am. They are well ahead of us and will feel they've a score to settle after last season. We will need to match their desire and surpass it ... or we've no chance.

Rashford v Trent is a total mismatch and for that reason , and the fact he's a better right back I'd be playing Milner at right back. Won't happen though so we will suffer I'm afraid. But we can't say we've not been warned and JĆ¼rgen was bigging him up in the presser.

In midfield its a big game for Bajcetic. He will find this one tougher than the derby for sure. More great experience for him.

JĆ¼rgen saying Fabinho is back and looking more like himself ... I'm not sold on it to be honest. If he could get back consistent form it would help massively.

They don't concede many ... we find goals hard to come by. 4 clean sheets recently in the league ... against 3 toothless sides and a team with 10 men doesn't inspire much confidence.

I'm clinging to the hope that we can find a city like performance ... crowd will be right up for it and we can get at them and strike early. Going behind doesn't bother them much these days but I don't fancy us chasing it against them. Hopefully Jota and Nunez can find their shooting boots and Mo can find his united form.

So overall ... very low expectations. And looking at April's fixtures we need results this month otherwise April and May will be very painful.

Sorry can't be more positive ... not a game I'm looking forward to. The fact there has been a 50 point swing this season between us and them, and our form for the whole season is probably why I'm struggling to believe for this one 😞
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #8: Mar 04, 2023 08:55:16 am
      1-4. We are just not good enough and they will try to get revenge for the last years. Just for the record, I hope we win 2-1, maybe Fab will be his old self. A win over these c*nts would go a long way to get us back on track.

Glad weā€™ve got two mancs in this thread for tomorrow.   ;D

COME ON YOU REDMENā€¦..
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #9: Mar 04, 2023 09:53:45 am
      The thought of a loss at home to these cu*ts is making me feel absolutely horrendous
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #10: Mar 04, 2023 09:57:57 am
      The thought of a loss at home to these cu*ts is making me feel absolutely horrendous

Havenā€™t lost yet mate, donā€™t do it to yourself.

Weā€™ll turn these over and begin the start of a recovery 💪🏼
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #11: Mar 04, 2023 10:14:27 am
      They are on an impressive run, fair enough....but they're nothing special, IF we can play anywhere near our "normal" level I think we come out on top. We can't be running scared of a team with Weghorst in it!
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #12: Mar 04, 2023 10:30:34 am
      They are on an impressive run, fair enough....but they're nothing special, IF we can play anywhere near our "normal" level I think we come out on top. We can't be running scared of a team with Weghorst in it!

Our defence in usually very accommodating for strikers who can't score.
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 867 posts | 101 
      Reply #13: Mar 04, 2023 10:39:08 am
      So, our downfall started at OT when we were expected to stuff them there. Their ā€œriseā€ started in that reverse fixture when they were least expected to pull one over us.

It is only natural that we return the favour amidst booming cries of Si Senor!

and the rebirth of Rashford started that night, he hadnt scored for about 2 years until then, so lets make a statement.
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #14: Mar 04, 2023 10:56:00 am
      Mostly negative posts so far. Will obviously be a big game. We need more press from the front 3. One of the reasons we are relatively easy to play against is we don't pressure defenders playing out from the back enough.

The other issue which I touched on is spreading the play, making sure Nunez sees more of the ball. In the dysfunctional first half V Wolves he hardly had a touch due mainly to the play being concentrated down Mo's side.

VVD is not the best passer and they should be working on Robbo getting the ball quicker with Gakpo and Nunez finding space to create something.

But good vibes from second half V Wolves.

1-0
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #15: Mar 04, 2023 11:58:52 am
      Our defence in usually very accommodating for strikers who can't score.

4 clean sheets in the last 4 league suggests otherwise F**k sake be positive lad stop looking for the negatives all the time does you no good
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #16: Mar 04, 2023 12:31:17 pm
      Obviously a lot has been made of Trent's defending. No secret it's 1 on 1 where he has struggled. Tackles, interceptions he is as good as any. Is he flat footed, slow off the mark, lacking a bit of courage.?

Is it that teams target him knowing he's weak on 1 on 1 ? Could be that we're so high and that will lead to a lot of 1 on 1 situations.

Can't blame our poor form as his 1 on 1 has been identified 2/3 seasons ago. He'll come under close scrutiny today. I still back him as he isn't that bad a defender that we can do without his attacking support play.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #17: Mar 04, 2023 01:32:57 pm

Lets hope it continues.   :f_whistle:
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #18: Mar 04, 2023 01:43:42 pm
      Never thought I would see the day where I wanted Milner to start in our midfield. Old legs or not I still feel he protects trent down that side of the pitch than Henderson does so I would have him there.

This is a must win game for us here as a massive performance here puts us in good stead for the top four battle we find ourselves in, there is still hope.

Gakpo is also a must start for me with him slotting in the middle with Nunez out left and Salah out right. Those three seem to slowly be getting better at linking up with one another and seeing Gakpo come deep and hold the ball well with Salah or Nunez running in behind is exactly what we need.

Let's go redmen! YNWA!
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #19: Mar 04, 2023 02:10:06 pm
      Utd are punching above their weight in my opinion.
      Watched one recent game and when they lost possession, they packed their defence with 9 outfield players. Then hoof fed it up to rashford who either held it up waiting g for support, or raced on alone.
      Not a great deal of quality football, but a lot of angry players pushing, shoving and growling all over the pitch.
      Not very impressed me.
      Iā€™m not sure they will cope with Nunesā€™s pace and mo will keep them busy as always.
      We just need to keep the long ball service through the gaps or over the top, to a minimum and cut out their service.
      Iā€™ve gone for 2-1 but I think it could be 3-1 if all our lads turn up with the right attitude.

Theyā€™ll be thinking, weā€™ve just gotta cope with the first 15 mins onslaught.
      Well letā€™s make it a full on 90+ minutes onslaught.

COME ON YOU MIGHTY RED MEN !
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #20: Mar 04, 2023 02:11:41 pm
      4 clean sheets in the last 4 league suggests otherwise f**k sake be positive lad stop looking for the negatives all the time does you no good

As I said in my post mate ... clean sheets against 3 toothless teams and one with 10 men where we could still have shipped 4 or 5 on another day doesn't convince me.

But yeah probably need to get in a more positive frame of mind. I'll be happier when the game starts ... kick every ball then.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #21: Mar 04, 2023 02:24:29 pm
      As I said in my post mate ... clean sheets against 3 toothless teams and one with 10 men where we could still have shipped 4 or 5 on another day doesn't convince me.

But yeah probably need to get in a more positive frame of mind. I'll be happier when the game starts ... kick every ball then.

We can do these . Midfield for me is the key if we can hold our own there we can win no problem.
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #22: Mar 04, 2023 02:52:14 pm
      We can do these . Midfield for me is the key if we can hold our own there we can win no problem.

Yeah. I assume they'll play 4231 ... we need to get a hold of their offensive players. I'd love to see us match up with our own 4231.

The crowd will be there. Want to see us start with real intent ... lay a marker down and tear into them and then keep going.

Quick Reply