Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Bmouth?

Alisson Becker
      9 (20%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Ibrahima Konaté
      4 (8.9%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      6 (13.3%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Stefan Bajcetic
      3 (6.7%)
      Harvey Elliott
      0 (0%)
      Darwin Núñez
      1 (2.2%)
      Cody Gakpo
      7 (15.6%)
      Mohammed Salah
      2 (4.4%)
      James Milner
      2 (4.4%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (2.2%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (2.2%)
      Diogo Jota
      4 (8.9%)
      Fábio Carvalho
      5 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: Mar 15, 2023 02:24:29 pm

AFC Bournemouth 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 15757 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Re: AFC Bournemouth 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #552: Mar 12, 2023 09:22:13 pm
      This is what I read…                             The Premier League can only send a maximum of five teams to the Champions League. In normal circumstances, the places will go to the teams who finish in the top four of the league but a fifth place will go to a side if they win either the Champions League or Europa League and do not finish in the top four.

Yeah so it only works if the EL/CL winners finish outside the top four. In that case 5th gets a CL place (if that's where the EL winner finishes) but it's unlikely United don't finish top 4. If United or Arsenal finish in the top 4 and win the EL then that place is not transferrable to 5th place.
      « Last Edit: Mar 12, 2023 09:39:11 pm by chats »
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #553: Mar 12, 2023 09:23:04 pm
      4th or bust then. Honestly think it's too far a stretch now.

Think we are still well in it. We play Spurs at Anfield. 4 out of 6 last games are at home starting with Spurs at home. This weekend shows how easy it can turn.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #554: Mar 12, 2023 09:29:43 pm
      4th or bust then. Honestly think it's too far a stretch now.
      Yesterday was a shock especially after last weekend... but still there's plenty of points to to be had, we'll have to play each game like a cup final.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #555: Mar 12, 2023 09:34:53 pm
      Yeah so it only works if the EL/CL winners finish outside the top four. In that case 5th gets a CL place but it's unlikely United don't finish top 4. If United or Arsenal finish in the top 4 and win the EL then that place is not transferrable to 5th place.

Only 2 ways 5th can qualify for champions league. If they win it, then 4th drops into Europa. Or if finish 5th and win Europa League.

A MAX of 5 teams can qualify....top 4 and if and only if an English teams win Europa League. If the winners of Europa League finish in top 4.....it stops their....C/L places are not transferable.

Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #556: Mar 12, 2023 09:34:57 pm
      That penalty was poor....I mean he didn't just miss...it was as bad as I can remember any pen missed.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #557: Mar 13, 2023 09:12:41 am
      well that was sh*te
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #558: Mar 13, 2023 09:32:37 am
      Quote from brezipool link=topic=53398.msg2537734# msg2537734 date=1678698761
      well that was sh*te

Hard to believe Brez the performance against us lot last week then this… the mind boggles   :f_doh:
      damianknow
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #559: Mar 13, 2023 09:50:19 am

unfortunately again :f_steam:
      « Last Edit: Mar 13, 2023 04:01:11 pm by JD »
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #560: Mar 13, 2023 09:53:00 am
      Hard to believe Brez the performance against us lot last week then this… the mind boggles   :f_doh:

Yup.

Generally 12.30 ko's are sh*te too though.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #561: Mar 13, 2023 10:49:38 am
      Yup.

Generally 12.30 ko's are sh*te too though.

Admittedly these kick off times are hard to digest !
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #562: Mar 13, 2023 10:52:27 am
      Admittedly these kick off times are hard to digest !

We always struggle.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #563: Mar 13, 2023 12:45:34 pm

Always give us a roller coaster ride...Alisson to the rescue...wot are the chances..
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #564: Mar 13, 2023 02:16:45 pm
      Real game probably going to be a formality. Think Real won't be to bothered either, could end up 1-1.

If we had battered B'mouth hopes would've been raised but just get it over with.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #565: Mar 13, 2023 02:46:36 pm
      I think this game is sort of the undeniable eye opener even for those who, until now, refused to acknowledge the problem is multi-pronged. Yes the squad needs improvements in some areas, especially the midfield. But with that said, you cannot go from playing the game you played at Anfield against United then turn around and look this poor against a relegation side without big mental problems being the main culprit here.

Why do we go from a proper Klopp press in one game to every player looking like they're forced to play through a bout of mononucleosis?  Why is every away game we've played this season a 95% certain loss of points if not all points? What, the midfield issues we have at home are somehow double or triple away from home? I get that playing at home gives you a huge boost, but it surely wont fix most of your technical issues especially when you're talking about a team like Bournemouth who you know will play the same exact way away and at home (10 men behind the ball).

I know some players in this squad have a case to make about being properly knackered (VVD and some of the other lads who played the WC), but most of the squad had, yes, a long season last year with us competing for all available trophies until the last second, but then they had a full summer vacation and a month off for the WC. I'm struggling to understand the lack of energy we're seeing on the pitch. I mean, I'm not professional footballer so I could be wrong and the time they had off might not be enough vs the amount of football played last year.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #566: Mar 13, 2023 03:03:41 pm
      I think this game is sort of the undeniable eye opener even for those who, until now, refused to acknowledge the problem is multi-pronged. Yes the squad needs improvements in some areas, especially the midfield. But with that said, you cannot go from playing the game you played at Anfield against United then turn around and look this poor against a relegation side without big mental problems being the main culprit here.

Why do we go from a proper Klopp press in one game to every player looking like they're forced to play through a bout of mononucleosis?  Why is every away game we've played this season a 95% certain loss of points if not all points? What, the midfield issues we have at home are somehow double or triple away from home? I get that playing at home gives you a huge boost, but it surely wont fix most of your technical issues especially when you're talking about a team like Bournemouth who you know will play the same exact way away and at home (10 men behind the ball).

I know some players in this squad have a case to make about being properly knackered (VVD and some of the other lads who played the WC), but most of the squad had, yes, a long season last year with us competing for all available trophies until the last second, but then they had a full summer vacation and a month off for the WC. I'm struggling to understand the lack of energy we're seeing on the pitch. I mean, I'm not professional footballer so I could be wrong and the time they had off might not be enough vs the amount of football played last year.

I missed the game (got lucky there) but the ups and downs are really puzzling. Going into the game i was super confident getting a win, as the lads would have been amped up and on a positive note after beating up on United.

Seen it too often this season and have no idea why it happens. We beat City convincingly in the Shield then couple days later we drop 2 points to Fulham. WTF.

Beat City again in the league in October, then a week later we lost to Notty Forest.

Just a very strange season.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #567: Mar 13, 2023 03:14:49 pm
      We have a better chance to play well when we play against other teams that play football. When we play bus parkers we struggle, always have. When we had Mane and a functioning midfield we had a little better chance at snagging a goal to open up those games. Our attack is looking potent again for the most part but our midfield is still an area of concern. Not sure why Klopp thought starting two kids the combined age of which equal one James Milner was a good idea. They got ran around by a Bournemouth team that looked like it had a single purpose (defend deep and hit us on the break with speed) and executed it to perfection. Almost wonder if we'd be better off inviting a team like that onto us a bit so we could use our speed to hit them on the counter. One goal is all it takes to open up a game like that.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #568: Mar 13, 2023 04:19:55 pm
      We have a better chance to play well when we play against other teams that play football. When we play bus parkers we struggle, always have. When we had Mane and a functioning midfield we had a little better chance at snagging a goal to open up those games. Our attack is looking potent again for the most part but our midfield is still an area of concern. Not sure why Klopp thought starting two kids the combined age of which equal one James Milner was a good idea. They got ran around by a Bournemouth team that looked like it had a single purpose (defend deep and hit us on the break with speed) and executed it to perfection. Almost wonder if we'd be better off inviting a team like that onto us a bit so we could use our speed to hit them on the counter. One goal is all it takes to open up a game like that.
      An in form Naby Keita also offers something against those types of teams as he's capable of driving straight into their box and draw players to him which in turn opens up space for our forwards, but we might as well be talking about a ghost.

Right now, any low block is just a nightmare for us. Except for Diaz, non of the wingers we have is the dribbler type. Salah, Gakpo and Nunez excel at movement in space which we fail miserably at creating for them in those situations because like I mentioned above, nobody in that team is capable of grabbing the ball and drawing a few players to him and cause confusion in the backline. Like you said, Mane had that in his repertoire. Right now the only way we do that, some times, is when Matip or Ibou grab the ball and run towards the box. You can see, immediately, that the other team is faced with something they have no plan for and therefore their block starts losing shape as one player get drawn in and the other panics and tries to adjust.

Its essential that at the very least one of the midfielders we get this summer has the ability to drive towards the box with the ball at his feet. I reckon Diaz's comeback will help a bit as he is our only winger with a combination of the ability to dribble in tight spaces and speed which will cause ripples into any low block and open spaces for players to move in, but its a bit late.

With that said, that's just part of the problem. Like I said in my previous post (and CT too), low blocks or not, it doesn't explain the sh*t press, defensive errors and overall lack of energy in our play from one game to another.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #569: Mar 13, 2023 07:53:06 pm
      Some good analysis in this thread. I found it interesting during the last 20 mins of the match that BT’s commentators kept saying Bournemouth needed to push up and stop holding a line on their 18yard box or we’d score.

In fact, that was what made them so hard to get through. We couldn’t press as they weren’t playing it out from the back, there was no space for passing through the lines and we only got to the byline once second half (penalty incident). 
      In spit of the ‘bus parkers’ being a problem for us for years, its staggering that we still haven’t found a tactic to beat these teams!
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #570: Mar 13, 2023 07:55:59 pm
      An in form Naby Keita also offers something against those types of teams as he's capable of driving straight into their box and draw players to him which in turn opens up space for our forwards, but we might as well be talking about a ghost.

Right now, any low block is just a nightmare for us. Except for Diaz, non of the wingers we have is the dribbler type. Salah, Gakpo and Nunez excel at movement in space which we fail miserably at creating for them in those situations because like I mentioned above, nobody in that team is capable of grabbing the ball and drawing a few players to him and cause confusion in the backline. Like you said, Mane had that in his repertoire. Right now the only way we do that, some times, is when Matip or Ibou grab the ball and run towards the box. You can see, immediately, that the other team is faced with something they have no plan for and therefore their block starts losing shape as one player get drawn in and the other panics and tries to adjust.

Its essential that at the very least one of the midfielders we get this summer has the ability to drive towards the box with the ball at his feet. I reckon Diaz's comeback will help a bit as he is our only winger with a combination of the ability to dribble in tight spaces and speed which will cause ripples into any low block and open spaces for players to move in, but its a bit late.

With that said, that's just part of the problem. Like I said in my previous post (and CT too), low blocks or not, it doesn't explain the sh*t press, defensive errors and overall lack of energy in our play from one game to another.

Keita has always been the one capable of playing one twos or carrying the ball forward but hasn't been utilised enough playing in a more advanced role as he did when he terrorised the Mancs playing in a e does not suit . Klopp.is going to have to look at that seen as the output from our main supply and WBs not as proficient as in the past Or as you say the fact Matip used to forage forward at least broke their shape at times drawing people out . All we do is move it sideways and not one player apart from.Naby and Ox of old.will drive forward and find pockets of space
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #571: Mar 13, 2023 08:42:43 pm
      Keita has always been the one capable of playing one twos or carrying the ball forward but hasn't been utilised enough playing in a more advanced role as he did when he terrorised the Mancs playing in a e does not suit . Klopp.is going to have to look at that seen as the output from our main supply and WBs not as proficient as in the past Or as you say the fact Matip used to forage forward at least broke their shape at times drawing people out . All we do is move it sideways and not one player apart from.Naby and Ox of old.will drive forward and find pockets of space

I just assumed it was because I was American and didn't understand the game but it seems to me the easiest thing to do with the ball is to turn and run at someone...put them on the back foot. It's so frustrating to see one of our midfielders get it with a little space and turn with their back to goal and pass it backwards, sideways or allow a defender to come onto them and lose it altogether. What you've said about Matip is dead on...he sometimes would just cut right through the middle of the defense and put them on their back foot. It's what teams do to us nowadays...is it so hard for our players to have that mentality and go for it?
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #572: Mar 13, 2023 08:54:42 pm
      I just assumed it was because I was American and didn't understand the game but it seems to me the easiest thing to do with the ball is to turn and run at someone...put them on the back foot. It's so frustrating to see one of our midfielders get it with a little space and turn with their back to goal and pass it backwards, sideways or allow a defender to come onto them and lose it altogether. What you've said about Matip is dead on...he sometimes would just cut right through the middle of the defense and put them on their back foot. It's what teams do to us nowadays...is it so hard for our players to have that mentality and go for it?

Some have that natural ability and courage Gazza the best I saw it supreme balance and just drew opposition in creating space or he just flew past them . Not sure it's how the game has turned more methodical and the buzz word Possession which we used to boss but have nothing to show sometimes against these teams. Can't have happened many times last season or 19/20 but that was more relentless pressure whereas.now they are getting out and our defense is under more pressure whereas before.they had their deckchair out most games
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 867 posts | 101 
      Reply #573: Mar 18, 2023 08:08:04 pm
      F**k me  villa put them back in their place, we are sh*te
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #574: Mar 18, 2023 11:21:39 pm
      Spurs flaky again and although they are 7 pts clear of us we have 2 games in hand and still have to come to Anfield so it could be Newcastle are the team we have to beat.

They are 5 pts clear of us on the same number of games plus we have already played them twice. Any more screw ups and we are out of it.

Quick Reply