Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Madrid?

Alisson Becker
      43 (84.3%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (2%)
      Ibrahima Konaté
      2 (3.9%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (2%)
       Fabinho
      1 (2%)
      James Milner
      3 (5.9%)
      Diogo Jota
      0 (0%)
      Darwin Núñez
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Cody Gakpo
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Voting closed: Mar 19, 2023 09:54:13 pm

Real Madrid 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 12824 times
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,990 posts | 516 
      Re: Real Madrid 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #414: Mar 15, 2023 11:21:08 pm
      Thought they could've won by 3 or 4 easily, Ali 2 wonder saves, some other decent saves, some other really good chances they just couldn't convert.

Well beaten just imho

I mean you're right that they were more incisive than us and  had better chances. I just meant the overall balance of the play was pretty even. Our final ball was poor. Their finishing was poor. We were away at the Bernabeu and the balance of play was pretty even. It was us falling apart defensively at home that decided it.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #415: Mar 15, 2023 11:21:31 pm
      Best summary I can provide is that the result was better than I expected but the performance was below what I expected.

I'd imagine the players went there knowing they were beaten but trying to keep the score respectable.  Which is not very Liverpool like.

Better team went through, we had a tough draw at the wrong period in our season. 
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,723 posts | 566 
      Reply #416: Mar 15, 2023 11:25:12 pm
      Its away from home, against a team better than wolves. We only lost 1-0 so huge positives to be drawn from our mentality monsters

Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,195 posts | 734 
      Reply #417: Mar 15, 2023 11:31:16 pm
      Would rather our players showed a bit of class tonight.
      And so would the rest of us...but credit to RM the gesture was well intentioned.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,195 posts | 734 
      Reply #418: Mar 15, 2023 11:32:45 pm
      Best summary I can provide is that the result was better than I expected but the performance was below what I expected.

I'd imagine the players went there knowing they were beaten but trying to keep the score respectable.  Which is not very Liverpool like.

Better team went through, we had a tough draw at the wrong period in our season.
      Fair point...We were never going to win it this season.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 850 
      Reply #419: Mar 15, 2023 11:33:19 pm
      Utterly stupid decision to let Mane go. Really came back to bite us..

We have been nothing this season. Bar a few decent results.. just utter nonsense throughout.
      A legend of the club that had a year left on his contract asked to leave. Would've been very weird from the club to tell him to F**k off and miss out on the opportunity to cash in on him. Had Bayern come knocking and Mane never asked to leave it would be a different discussion, but the lad asked to leave.

Truth is our problems, this season, are first and foremost team ones and not individual ones. Apart from Alisson, everyone's standard just went down, we play like we are totally depleted of any energy and we have the mental frailness of a relegation side. So the reality is that with or without Mane this season would still look the same. The only difference would be that the moaners would now be moaning about keeping Sadio after he asked out since hindsight is always 20/20 (even when what you moan about is factually wrong) and by now they'd crying about us missing out on getting some money for Mane and him not being happy probably messed up the dressing room and is a distraction blah blah blah. Not even going to get into all the unbelievable crap we'd be hearing about him not being happy with Mo's new contract and all that good old soap opera imaginary bullshit people read on twitter and bring back here onto that forum.

All of this is just bullshit. We play like sh*t all over the pitch. We can't string 4 passes together and our players look like they are all missing a lung and half their brain. Once we sort ourselves as a team that's when we'll start winning, scoring and keeping clean sheets. And when this happens Jota, Nunez and Gakpo will score enough goals that Mane being allowed to leave won't even be a subject of discussion.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #420: Mar 15, 2023 11:37:46 pm
      Utterly stupid decision to let Mane go.

Two things about this.

1.  He wanted to go.
      2.  He's hardly been writing his name into Bayern Munich folklore.

Liverpool's problems are not solely down to Mane's absence.  Madrid would still have knocked us out here if we had Mane instead of Nunez in the team in these last two games.
      CT_LFC

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Reply #421: Mar 15, 2023 11:43:30 pm
      Utterly stupid decision to let Mane go. Really came back to bite us..

We have been nothing this season. Bar a few decent results.. just utter nonsense throughout.

How did we do the 3 previous times we faced Real when we had Mane?
      rmcf
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #422: Mar 16, 2023 12:03:22 am
      Are they taking the piss playing you'll never walk alone at the end. Classy? That's not classy they are rubbing it in the cu*ts.

I’m a Real Madrid supporter, just registered here because I’d like to recognise your great club. I never could imagine that I was going to sing the YNWA at Santiago Bernabéu.
      It was a response of your great gesture because our ex-player Amancio Amaro has just passed away. Real has classy as Liverpool. Not as rubbish as teams that buy referees.
      Good luck mates in the Premier and hope you back soon in Champions.
      « Last Edit: Mar 16, 2023 12:11:57 am by rmcf »
      DanMann

• 5,705 posts | 880 
      Reply #423: Mar 16, 2023 12:07:22 am
      Two things about this.

1.  He wanted to go.

Liverpool's problems are not solely down to Mane's absence.  Madrid would still have knocked us out here if we had Mane instead of Nunez in the team in these last two games.

1. He would have stayed if we tried
      2. He would have been brilliant for Liverpool

Not even just today, but throughout the season we have missed him.
      rmcf
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #424: Mar 16, 2023 12:21:03 am
      Isn't it because there was a tribute to an ex Real player who'd passed at Anfield in the first leg? Reciprocal tribute

It’s right. Good luck and all my respect, from a “madridista”
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,689 posts | 6691 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #425: Mar 16, 2023 12:27:52 am
      Two things about this.

Your point Number 2. He never got injured with us.

He's been out for a lot of their Season hasn't he?

Agree not solely down to Sadio leaving but feels like the rot has set in since he fu**ed off.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 850 
      Reply #426: Mar 16, 2023 03:38:14 am
      1. He would have stayed if we tried
      2. He would have been brilliant for Liverpool

Not even just today, but throughout the season we have missed him.
      Brilliant stuff. Every single problem is a one dimensional thing and we just need to say ''it would've/he would've'' followed by the wish of our choice. 

He asked to leave = ''he would've stayed if we tried''

The whole team is playing crap football = ''he would've been brilliant'' (casually implying he would've singlehandedly overcame/prevented that obliteration of an aggregate score that is 6-2)

But how does Mane stop us from conceding 6 in one tie, and the midfield issues, and the defensive issues, and chance creation problems = ''He would have been brilliant for Liverpool''

Can't even say that hindsight is 20/20 since this saying applies to situations where people correctly analyze things after the fact while your M.O. gets that wrong too.

ToshackKeeganOneNil
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 521 posts | 108 
      Reply #427: Mar 16, 2023 07:07:30 am
      Two things about this.

1.  He wanted to go.

For me Gini is a bigger loss and someone we have not replaced in midfield.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #428: Mar 16, 2023 07:21:53 am
      Still a bit in shock with how little we showed last night. Never really thought we had a chance to go through but did think we'd give it a go and maybe get something like a score draw on the night (similar to how Benfica came to Anfield last season and gave it a go to get a draw). Instead we'd already given up and that includes the manager who I can imagine only brought off Nunez because he thought we had no chance.

Just need this nightmare season to end but I have the feeling it's going to get a whole lot worse first when you look at the three games we have coming up after the international break.
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 984 posts | 65 
      Reply #429: Mar 16, 2023 07:32:03 am
      I thought we did ok , not brilliant and was a bit lucky with their attempts . We could have lost 3 or 4 nil but we didn’t and had a go just not up to our previous levels. It’s just a low , tired season after a great season with players that probably know the game is up in the summer and some will be shipped out . New players in with hunger and we will be back soon . We need to sort out the right side because all the opposition teams come down that way knowing we are weak and panic seems to be the norm with our defence .
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #430: Mar 16, 2023 08:02:15 am
      Because despite the doom and gloom both didn’t play that badly. They were outnumbered there
      Fabinho was awful, and whilst Milly had a decent performance, we need a more creative player.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #431: Mar 16, 2023 08:08:03 am
      The mentality has gone. Pretty much throughout the squad.
      The desire, commitment and will to win have gone. Concentration levels have dropped.
      Maybe some have realised they are leaving soon. Maybe some are still feeling sorry for themselves.
      Injuries haven’t helped but this team is so much better than we have been playing this season.

But the problems run a lot deeper than a summer transfer window can fix. I’d expect next season to be similar to this. Inconsistent. No real belief.

The conveyor belt of talent that we used to have is now a conveyor belt of players we need to replace.
      This season it’s a whole raft of players we need to replace but the next raft is only a transfer window behind.
      And the heads of Alison and salah will start to turn every season we fail to qualify for champions league.

Klopp will leave in 3 years and I don’t think he can rebuild in that time. And then we will have a new project and will be starting again. Personally, I think quite a few years of watching our rivals win has begun.
      « Last Edit: Mar 16, 2023 08:13:48 am by UncleBob »
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #432: Mar 16, 2023 08:16:56 am
      They were superior.

If Konate can stay fit for a whole season, he would be a monster. Thank God, we have Becker.

Our engine is obviously misfiring and our gearbox is missing some gear. We need to invest.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #433: Mar 16, 2023 08:18:56 am
      I had to work so missed this one but not surprised by what I'm reading here in all honesty.

sh*t show of a season by all involved.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #434: Mar 16, 2023 09:13:56 am
      Two things about this.

1.  He wanted to go.

And Mane has been injured for months at Bayern.

The forward line has evolved thats fine, weve just had the worst season for injuries, everyone knackered after last seasons effort.

It is what it is, we still have plenty games in the league to finish the season well.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #435: Mar 16, 2023 09:14:57 am
      Also just when we thought we were over the injury problems, we struggle to put a midfield together, and have to use the ox as a sub. :(
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #436: Mar 16, 2023 10:09:35 am
      Allison : KEEP
      TAA: can’t defend
      Robertson: KEEP
      VVD: downward spiral
      Matip: downward spiral/injury prone
      Gomez: not good enough
      Karate: KEEP

Thiago: downward spiral/injury prone
      Henderson: downward spiral/injury prone
      Keita: going/injury prone
      Jones: not good enough
      Ox: going/injury prone
      Bajcetic: KEEP
      Milner: retiring?
      Fabinho: regressed

Also Bobby leaving.

That’s just my take on it. Apart from our forward line I think we need a lot of issues to be addressed.

It reminds me a bit of Kennys last season (1991). Ageing team that can turn up and destroy the opposition but is clearly not up for a sustained effort for an entire season.

Quick Reply