Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Madrid?

Alisson Becker
      43 (84.3%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (2%)
      Ibrahima KonatƩ
      2 (3.9%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (2%)
       Fabinho
      1 (2%)
      James Milner
      3 (5.9%)
      Diogo Jota
      0 (0%)
      Darwin NĆŗƱez
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Cody Gakpo
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Voting closed: Mar 19, 2023 09:54:13 pm

Real Madrid 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 12252 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Re: Real Madrid 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #460: Mar 16, 2023 03:45:32 pm
      Don't think that's in doubt, whether it be a coincidence or not your form did dip.

I donā€™t think itā€™s that simple - mane was good but he going isnā€™t a major reason for us losing form.

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #461: Mar 16, 2023 03:48:55 pm
      I donā€™t think itā€™s that simple - mane was good but he going isnā€™t a major reason for us losing form.

Youā€™re right it isnā€™t that simple ( and like Iā€™ve said! ) itā€™s one of many reasons.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #462: Mar 16, 2023 04:00:07 pm
      The people saying we miss mane are probably the same ones who moaned about his dip in form ast season .
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #463: Mar 16, 2023 04:05:55 pm
      I never expected us to go through after being behind 3 goals from the first leg, but I was hoping for something positive to take from the match.  There really are no positive takeaways. 

A win on the night?  No
      Clean sheet?  No
      A well worked or well taken goal?  No
      Good team performance?  No
      Good individual performances?  Only Ali which is depressing

Hoping we can somehow finish top 4 as I think JĆ¼rgen will need the extra budget to effectively overhaul the squad....
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #464: Mar 16, 2023 04:16:35 pm
      Mane wanted to leave - it was as simple as that

He wanted to leave and a club put in a bid for him

Yep, that much is obvious.  :roll:
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 80 
      Reply #465: Mar 16, 2023 04:25:39 pm
      Tough tie to watch and get through but I didn't think we played particularly bad last night given we were in the back yard of the current La Liga, CL and CWC champions except for Jota who appeared to ghost through the game......it was a further indicative of where we are this season and what needs to be done to get back to where this club needs to be. Looked very fatigued, in the legs in the minds and a bit low in belief.

Hopefully for a change we can come back from an extended break and find some kind of form in the way we did finished the 20/21 season although that's easier said than done given our next 3 games.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #466: Mar 16, 2023 04:41:44 pm

Not sure it is to you when you say ā€œhe would have stayed if we triedā€ 🙄
      Tadders

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #467: Mar 16, 2023 04:42:44 pm
      I never expected us to go through after being behind 3 goals from the first leg, but I was hoping for something positive to take from the match.  There really are no positive takeaways. 

A win on the night?  No
      Clean sheet?  No
      A well worked or well taken goal?  No
      Good team performance?  No
      Good individual performances?  Only Ali which is depressing

Hoping we can somehow finish top 4 as I think JĆ¼rgen will need the extra budget to effectively overhaul the squad....
      For me we are just a soft touch - any will to win we have disappears when Henderson doesnā€™t play
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #468: Mar 16, 2023 05:09:07 pm
      Never really troubled Real Madrid last night, they seemed to be comfortably in control. A shake up of the present squad obviously needed in the summer. We cannot keep going in this downward spiral !

Like the above poster points out, we have become a soft touch.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #469: Mar 16, 2023 05:40:15 pm
      Mane leaving was the start of your downfall, not saying it was just that but basically itā€™s where it all started to go wrong.

Talking Bollocks Keith, Mane for a start wanted a new challenge, he went perhaps knowing the writing was already on the wall with this team, we also brought in Lucho as a replacement and for me were more dangerous, taking every competition we entered right to the wire,

Some will say Gini was never replaced either but then we didnā€™t replace Kenny, or Rushy, or Jocky Hansen, sides move on or evolve into a different animal, and top players move on,

To me it didnā€™t start with Mane moving on, it started two years before when we should have started the rebuild, but due to covid and FSG sticking to their tight arsed guns we didnā€™t have the dollar to bring in new faces, I suppose you could add JĆ¼rgen being too loyal to his key players but then what the F**k was he supposed to do working with a budget of a Championship side.

Easy to point the finger at losing Mane but the truth is we simply didnā€™t/donā€™t have the funds to just go out and buy for the sake of buying, weā€™re not f***in Citeh, Toon, Chavs or even your f***in scummy lot, so when Mane announced he was off, no one was available until Lucho arrived in January, and itā€™s no coincidence he was pivotal in us challenging on all four fronts last season, a season where it should have been the last hurrah for JĆ¼rgenā€™s first complete X1.

No doubt you will retort with some kind of counter argument and call me billythecnut , but thatā€™s ok Iā€™m used to absorbing crap from ugly fat troglodytes, have a nice f***in day Fuckstick !!!

RedBelle
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 731 posts | 120 
      Reply #470: Mar 16, 2023 06:31:55 pm

Do you think he will be given this money? How much is it? Considering their sell to buy policy I don't see how much FSG have actually given to spend on players. Nor can I see "extra budget" coming for expensive and badly needed players.

I worry for Klopp - there's only so much pressure a person can take.
      Having to front it all whilst JH and his cronies are sat in their counting houses lighting cigars with their dollar bills and defend their lack of interest in keeping the squad on a level par at the top of the Prem.
      I am not blind to his faults - but fact is he's an incredible manager (some substitute decisions questionable I grant you) and if he'd been given a third of what the cheaters and billionaires have thrown about over the last few years (including ridiculous wage deals) then the club would have not found themselves in the sh!t we are in now.

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #471: Mar 16, 2023 06:50:46 pm

Talking Bollocks Keith, Mane for a start wanted a new challenge, he went perhaps knowing the writing was already on the wall with this team, we also brought in Lucho as a replacement and for me were more dangerous, taking every competition we entered right to the wire,

Some will say Gini was never replaced either but then we didnā€™t replace Kenny, or Rushy, or Jocky Hansen, sides move on or evolve into a different animal, and top players move on,

To me it didnā€™t start with Mane moving on, it started two years before when we should have started the rebuild, but due to covid and FSG sticking to their tight arsed guns we didnā€™t have the dollar to bring in new faces, I suppose you could add JĆ¼rgen being too loyal to his key players but then what the f**k was he supposed to do working with a budget of a Championship side.

Easy to point the finger at losing Mane but the truth is we simply didnā€™t/donā€™t have the funds to just go out and buy for the sake of buying, weā€™re not f***in Citeh, Toon, Chavs or even your f***in scummy lot, so when Mane announced he was off, no one was available until Lucho arrived in January, and itā€™s no coincidence he was pivotal in us challenging on all four fronts last season, a season where it should have been the last hurrah for JĆ¼rgenā€™s first complete X1.

No doubt you will retort with some kind of counter argument and call me billythecnut , but thatā€™s ok Iā€™m used to absorbing crap from ugly fat troglodytes, have a nice f***in day Fuckstick !!!

Well Iā€™m known as a scummy manc so why canā€™t you be known as Billythekunt but I wonā€™t counter with the usual expletives as youā€™re better than me in that department.

You said I was talking bollocks very early on in the season when I brought fatigue/to many games/mentality into it but changed your mind/opinion on that when you realised you were wrong and in fact turns out a major factor, well at least by most of you now.

Bold statement saying it started 2 years prior considering your success, you must be the only one Iā€™ve heard/read come out with such a ludicrous statement but hey ho we all make rational / emotional calls at times.

I would agree Klopp might be guilty of showing too much loyalty but thatā€™s subjective anyway. You could argue if he did have the squad ( which he hasnā€™t ) loyalty wouldnā€™t have come into it.

Signedā€¦ The oily manc kuntā€¦

Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #472: Mar 16, 2023 06:57:14 pm
      Half arsed effort all round. The players gave a cursory pretend performance, like actors making a football film... a kind of "look we're busy, we're trying...honest"..but they weren't really trying...not Liverpool Football Club trying*...it was a sham..a fraud. For me the players had decided we can work our arses off and we still won't go through, so instead they pretended to compete but truth is they essentially threw in the towel...Which is criminal wearing that shirt, with that badge on it.
      There's a fair few of us now seriously starting to worry about the boss, he doesn't seem able to switch to an alternative system, and the players seem confused about what to do..other than just run about aimlessly. He's got plenty of credit with the fanbase, but we've seen it before, once the fans lose faith it gathers momentum and before too long we're looking for his replacement. I personally think he leaves when he decides, what he's done for the club puts him beyond the sack....ever...but the longer we're served up this nonsense the pressure will mount.

* Lost count how many times Robertson had acres of space in front of him but s**t his pants and just knocked it backwards to VVD.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #473: Mar 16, 2023 07:32:15 pm
      Half arsed effort all round. The players gave a cursory pretend performance, like actors making a football film... a kind of "look we're busy, we're trying...honest"..but they weren't really trying...not Liverpool Football Club trying*...it was a sham..a fraud. For me the players had decided we can work our arses off and we still won't go through, so instead they pretended to compete but truth is they essentially threw in the towel...Which is criminal wearing that shirt, with that badge on it.
      There's a fair few of us now seriously starting to worry about the boss, he doesn't seem able to switch to an alternative system, and the players seem confused about what to do..other than just run about aimlessly. He's got plenty of credit with the fanbase, but we've seen it before, once the fans lose faith it gathers momentum and before too long we're looking for his replacement. I personally think he leaves when he decides, what he's done for the club puts him beyond the sack....ever...but the longer we're served up this nonsense the pressure will mount.

* Lost count how many times Robertson had acres of space in front of him but s**t his pants and just knocked it backwards to VVD.

I donā€™t think the owners would hesitate in sacking him if we finish 8th or lower. If not in the summer they will probably give him until November and if we are still stuttering around 7th I can see the axe coming down
      tytusgroan
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 511 posts | 50 
      Reply #474: Mar 16, 2023 08:01:24 pm
      In days gone by if a player(s) were out of form he(they) would be dropped,it doesn't seem to work like that anymore.
      LFC PAUL
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 46 
      Reply #475: Mar 16, 2023 09:11:27 pm
      Trent being left out of the England squad no surprise
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 80 
      Reply #476: Mar 16, 2023 10:19:44 pm
      Trent being left out of the England squad no surprise

No, no surprise as you said.....he'll probably be the first to admit to himself he's not done enough to get in, that said with Gareth & his whole pragmatic defensive bullcrap there's nothing Trent could do that would ever fancy his taste.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #477: Mar 17, 2023 10:43:20 am
      Not sure it is to you when you say ā€œhe would have stayed if we triedā€ 🙄

It's obvious he wanted to leave.

It's also obvious that we wanted him to leave and made no effort to have him stay for one more year.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #478: Mar 17, 2023 11:25:32 am
      It's obvious he wanted to leave.

It's also obvious that we wanted him to leave and made no effort to have him stay for one more year.

Itā€™s not obvious we wanted him to leave - if he wanted to stay he would have been offered a new contract and would have stayed

There is no doubt imo that the club would have spoken to him

If we hadnā€™t sold him then he would have left on a free in the summer and people like you would be then crying about letting players go on frees
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #479: Mar 17, 2023 11:52:52 am
      Only the player knows why he wanted to leave, once he'd informed the club it would have been folly to force him to stay. Any conversation about how different the team may have performed had he stayed is redundant....he didn't. The only sour note regarding his exit was his pre Paris "Important announcement" statement, which was frankly stupid.
      He's now just another player who used to play for us. Good luck to him etc....but in truth I don't much care what he does from now on.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #480: Mar 17, 2023 12:42:06 pm

Itā€™s not obvious we wanted him to leave - if he wanted to stay he would have been offered a new contract and would have stayed

There is no doubt imo that the club would have spoken to him

If we hadnā€™t sold him then he would have left on a free in the summer and people like you would be then crying about letting players go on frees

Pretty sure there was an offer on the table.

But Mane decided he has won everything with LFC and wanted to go play for another Massive club like Bayern.

These things happen in life.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #481: Mar 17, 2023 01:14:54 pm
      We were beaten home and away by a superior team, apart from some first half heroics at Anfield LFC were never in control.

The blame game by some is F***ing comical!
      To point the finger at Klopp and suggest he should be sacked if things don't improve is really pissing against the wind!

Who could he be replaced with?
      Who in the FSG hierarchy has the qualification to appoint our next saviour?
      Who could possibly operate under the financial limitations of the FSG 'master plan'?

So many questions if and when JĆ¼rgen exits and as ever no solutions from FSG.
      « Last Edit: Mar 17, 2023 02:46:34 pm by stuey »
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #482: Mar 17, 2023 04:42:47 pm

I dont think it was half arsed, just cautious and betrayed some lack of confidence in their play. (One of the themes this season).
      The lads were probably afraid of being caught out of position by a quick turnover and counter attack. As happened too often at Anfield. Sadly, the situation demanded blind faith and balls-out attack if we were ever going to perform the ā€˜miracle.ā€™
      Never looked like weā€™d put our arses on the line in a do or die effort, because I think above all, priority one was avoiding humiliation.
      Hate to say that, but thatā€™s the way I saw it.

YNWA

Quick Reply