Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Any good English Football documentaries?

Read 2135 times
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Any good English Football documentaries?
      Mar 30, 2023 01:00:31 pm
      I've been reading up about some of the early PL days and older. I dont really know alot about the 70-80s rivalries or players. I just recently watched a documentary about Brian Clough. Who I think was an amazing personality. His ability to just go off script and say whatever he wanted was hilarious. What he did at Nottingham Forest was probably the greatest coaching job ever. But I'm really interested in those days and I'm looking for a good documentary or movies about the pre-PL days. History, players, coaching and derbies. I watched Damned United and really liked it too.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Re: Any good English Football documentaries?
      Reply #1: Apr 02, 2023 10:23:50 am
      I've been reading up about some of the early PL days and older. I dont really know alot about the 70-80s rivalries or players. I just recently watched a documentary about Brian Clough. Who I think was an amazing personality. His ability to just go off script and say whatever he wanted was hilarious. What he did at Nottingham Forest was probably the greatest coaching job ever. But I'm really interested in those days and I'm looking for a good documentary or movies about the pre-PL days. History, players, coaching and derbies. I watched Damned United and really liked it too.

F**k Brian Clough

Read up about what he said regarding Hillsborough
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2: Apr 02, 2023 10:52:28 am

Two tribes about liverpool and the blueshite in the 80's against the backdrop of Thatcher is an excellent documentary
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #3: Apr 05, 2023 04:57:19 pm
      F**k Brian Clough

Read up about what he said regarding Hillsborough

I just read up about what he said. I had no Idea....I really liked him too. If I offended any survivors or family, friends of those affected I'm sorry. I really had no Idea he made those comments. Which is sad because he truly was a great manager and icon.Hypocritical of him too say the Liverpool supporters were all drunks considering he pissed away half his life and spent it in a bottle.

But, like I said I'm trying to learn more about the 70's-80's English Football.
      Crunchycrisps
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts | 85 
      Reply #4: Apr 06, 2023 04:18:59 pm
      The Bobby Robson 'more than a manager' one is great, he's likable... similar to how Klopp is in a way, hard to dislike type of fella who speaks from the heart, always been very fond of him. So that one fascinated me.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,022 posts | 2089 
      Reply #5: Apr 06, 2023 05:30:37 pm
      I just read up about what he said. I had no Idea....I really liked him too. If I offended any survivors or family, friends of those affected I'm sorry. I really had no Idea he made those comments. Which is sad because he truly was a great manager and icon.Hypocritical of him too say the Liverpool supporters were all drunks considering he pissed away half his life and spent it in a bottle.

But, like I said I'm trying to learn more about the 70's-80's English Football.

You don't need to apologise and no offence has been caused. Easy to forget that he said those tasteless comments because the narrative in football circles since his death has very much been triumphal. Clearly was a character and a great manager but at the same time he was petty, reactive and perhaps not enough attention was given to his assistant Peter Taylor in curbing his worst excesses (both personally and footballing wise). I remember when Mourinho first came on the scene in England and everyone was comparing him to Clough. Given my intense dislike of Mourinho and my relative ignorance about Clough at that time, I have to say it wasn't as glowing a reference for Clough as some thought!

I haven't read David Peace's 'The Damned United' but I should give it a go as I absolutely loved Red or Dead, about Bill Shankly. Now that's a film they need to make! Give it a read if you haven't done so! Odd writing style but one you get used to after time.

I like the shout for Bobby Robson 'More than a Manager'. Excellent documentary and one that reiterates what a fantastic manager and human being he was. I always think, could he have managed Liverpool after Kenny left in the early 90s and I wonder how it would have turned out?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #6: Apr 06, 2023 05:51:28 pm
      You don't need to apologise and no offence has been caused. Easy to forget that he said those tasteless comments because the narrative in football circles since his death has very much been triumphal. Clearly was a character and a great manager but at the same time he was petty, reactive and perhaps not enough attention was given to his assistant Peter Taylor in curbing his worst excesses (both personally and footballing wise). I remember when Mourinho first came on the scene in England and everyone was comparing him to Clough. Given my intense dislike of Mourinho and my relative ignorance about Clough at that time, I have to say it wasn't as glowing a reference for Clough as some thought!

I haven't read David Peace's 'The Damned United' but I should give it a go as I absolutely loved Red or Dead, about Bill Shankly. Now that's a film they need to make! Give it a read if you haven't done so! Odd writing style but one you get used to after time.

Regarding Brian Clough his addiction to alcohol does not come under scrutiny in connection with his impulsive, exaggerated behaviour even though over indulgence does involve ranting and raving and exaggerated reactions we associate with pissheads.

His days as a manager were blighted with alcoholism in his latter years..
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #7: Apr 06, 2023 05:58:03 pm
      I saw the Damned United movie which I really liked. It was interesting how much Peter Taylor was instrumental in the success that Clough achieved. Also sad how they split up. They way they worked together reminded me of Shankly and Paisley. I think they worked great together.
      I watched some documentaries about the old Leeds teams and Newcastle. Something really beautiful about the 70's and 80's football it was more simple and dirty. Looking at some of those pitches Its amazing how grass technology has advanced. The goalie area was a mud bog. The clumps of grass everywhere. Bloody knees and dirty kits. It's like some Sunday league pitches.

Quick Reply