Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v City?

Alisson Becker
      7 (19.4%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (2.8%)
      Ibrahima Konaté
      4 (11.1%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (2.8%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (2.8%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      2 (5.6%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (2.8%)
      Diogo Jota
      7 (19.4%)
      Cody Gakpo
      6 (16.7%)
      Mohammed Salah
      5 (13.9%)
      James Milner
      1 (2.8%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      0 (0%)
      Darwin Núñez
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: Apr 05, 2023 02:25:51 pm

Manchester City 4-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 15498 times
      Crunchycrisps
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts | 85 
      Re: Live: Man City V Liverpool
      Reply #598: Apr 01, 2023 10:58:25 pm
      I get people are disappointed and i am too but people bashing the team because they are losing to probably the best team in the world. They just have better players then us, and they keep improving while we dont. We managed to hold on to the score in the first half, and then in second half their quality shone through.

They are just better then us, and it doesnt matter how JK set them up against them in their home turf. we will probably loose 8 out of 10 times.
      I agree with you to an extent and it's reasonable what you are saying of course, it's just that we are seeing this happen time after time this season to the lower teams too. it's become the norm now, so I think that's more why people are peeved, I took this defeat on the chin, much better team this year than us n all that but there is a pattern going on, the utter lack of heart in our players is so odd, my auntie who I watched the game with in the pub, said, I just don't want to watch Liverpool this season they aren't fighting or trying. We aren't fair weather fans but we know when to go ahh sod this for a lark and not let results bother us, like my mum who I watch a lot of games with, in fact everyone in the pub just kind of went ah yeah that seems to be the norm now, like all this season, still surprised we are up in the table, haven't checked the table today or recently though.
      Crunchycrisps
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts | 85 
      Re: Manchester City 4-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #599: Apr 01, 2023 11:03:12 pm
      This group of players aren't responding to the manager.

The manager has been out of ideas pretty much all season.

We need at least three new players this summer.

Huge decisions to be made ahead of us.
      Very succinct way of putting it actually.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #600: Apr 01, 2023 11:04:10 pm
      Keep saying it, just can’t understand why we stood off them all when they had the ball. It made it so easy for them to play. They probably couldn’t believe they had so much space to operate in, in every area of the pitch.
      When they attacked they often had more attackers in our box than we had defenders.

How could we be so lapse ?
      Surely someone in the side had the balls to shout out and get organised rather than let it continue ?

I just don’t get it. The second half we weren’t outplayed, we just threw the towel in with no one taking responsibility. And it’s happened too often this season.

Where are the leaders 🤷‍♂️

Well yes and if they telephone in at Chelsea they should get their backsides kicked and the Kop at the next home game should let them know we expect them to EARN their £millions..
      Crunchycrisps
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts | 85 
      Reply #601: Apr 01, 2023 11:17:01 pm
      He’s more of a coach than a manager I agree and I think a certain level of stubbornness comes into it too or possibly blind faith with some players.

But he’s also hinted several times in certain interviews he would like reinforcements too and that’s coming from a man who will not publicly criticise the ownership or his players.

Some players have given interviews over the years and they’ve been asked what klopp is like behind closed doors and they’ve all said he can ‘lose it’ with them and it’s not unusual for him to do so either.

But we’ve never seen that in public, ever. All he ever does is praise them. It’s part of his fantastic man management. And it prevents the media from making bullshit stories too which he has said dozens and dozens of times that he hates.

One of the reasons he won’t publicly criticise the owners or publicly demand new players is because of what it does for the morale of the squad. He would basically be suggesting that they’re not good enough. What would that do to the likes of Curtis Jones who klopp might need to call upon one day? I think most of us would agree curtis Jones isn’t good enough for this club, certainly not to start week in week out, yet if you ever hear klopp talk about him you would think he’s bloody zidane.

Another reason is, as soon as klopp comes out and says we desperately need players, what does that do to the price tags of our targets? They all rocket. But if we can put our best poker face on and bluff we will walk away from potential deals then the selling club are forced into selling. It’s one of many reasons why we’ve been successful in the market over Jurgens time here.

I could literally write a book for why klopp doesn’t publicly criticise the owners. I love him for it. I love him as a man. I love him managing our football club. But anyone suggesting klopp would come out and blast the owners at any given opportunity or walk away if he wasn’t totally on board with everything within the club are simply talking bollocks.
      That's the same for any manager, isn't that obvious. Less politics and more football. Bob Paisley it, less talking more action, and more not being a coward to the owners. Yep.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #602: Apr 01, 2023 11:22:49 pm
      It's not a question of "well City are better than us"..and therefor that's that. No it was the manner of the defeat especially in the second half. In this league any team can beat any other team.

But the way we played in the second half was the way a bottom 6 team would capitulate to save their energy for more winnable games. That was the issue today - not that we got beat, it was the way we almost threw the towel in. Klopp more or less said City could've scored more..and he was right.

Chelsea now is massive in terms of what this team is made of....fight or flight..
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #603: Apr 01, 2023 11:30:58 pm
      Chelsea game will be interesting.

They're just as bad as we are.

Hopefully Potter is still there
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #604: Apr 01, 2023 11:41:09 pm
      Because he can and wants to tackle. I‘d give Milner a 3 year contract. The guy is the perfect back-up plan for next years. He‘s in shape and will stay there due to his training regime, he‘s versatile and he wont b*tch about being plan B.

I am still not seeing why they signed Gakpo. I just do not see him being essential to this team. Diaz-Nunez-Salah and Jota as a back-up. Gakpo will be our new Ox.

The new ox ?,  ox was good until that horrendous injury, need to see cody when the team is firing and when they nail down his best role in the team. Same as darwin.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #605: Apr 02, 2023 12:03:24 am
      Because he can and wants to tackle. I‘d give Milner a 3 year contract. The guy is the perfect back-up plan for next years. He‘s in shape and will stay there due to his training regime, he‘s versatile and he wont b*tch about being plan B.

I am still not seeing why they signed Gakpo. I just do not see him being essential to this team. Diaz-Nunez-Salah and Jota as a back-up. Gakpo will be our new Ox.

You don't half talk drivel.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #606: Apr 02, 2023 12:12:25 am

Because we gave in.  Simple as that.  The players at 3-1 down didn't fancy their chances and that's a mentality issue.  Two years ago that wouldn't have happened but for whatever reason now, they just either can't be arsed or don't fancy themselves. 

Some critical off the pitch problems and the fact even Klopp didn't fancy it makes me concerned.  Ultimately, they've won everything and have not been kept on their toes by newer lads coming in to challenge them.  The fact that Nunez came on and didn't even get stuck in shows the malaise throughout the squad.

redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #607: Apr 02, 2023 02:09:23 am

But, remember how we made them look good at Anfield?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #608: Apr 02, 2023 10:12:21 am

Got grim 0-0 written all over it if Potter is still in charge. Like the game at Anfield earlier this year.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,976 posts | 666 
      Reply #609: Apr 02, 2023 11:04:34 am
      Almost had to do a double-take to read Arsenal 30 (Thirty) points ahead of us.....How the F**k?
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #610: Apr 02, 2023 11:05:21 am
      Because we gave in.  Simple as that.  The players at 3-1 down didn't fancy their chances and that's a mentality issue.  Two years ago that wouldn't have happened but for whatever reason now, they just either can't be arsed or don't fancy themselves. 

Some critical off the pitch problems and the fact even Klopp didn't fancy it makes me concerned.  Ultimately, they've won everything and have not been kept on their toes by newer lads coming in to challenge them.  The fact that Nunez came on and didn't even get stuck in shows the malaise throughout the squad.

No quick fix for this.
      Klopp looks shocked and bewildered after every game now. Resigned to the fact that his players have no fight.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #611: Apr 02, 2023 11:17:45 am
      Almost had to do a double-take to read Arsenal 30 (Thirty) points ahead of us.....How the F**k?

Because we're sh*t?
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,976 posts | 666 
      Reply #612: Apr 02, 2023 12:22:35 pm
      Well sad to admit...but you're not wrong there
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #613: Apr 02, 2023 01:08:28 pm

Not surprising at all, both sides have flip-flopped positions from two/three seasons back, Arteta has his players purring like Jürgen had with ours when in their pomp, what we’re seeing now is the result of not evolving while your at the top of your game, partly due to stubbornness from Jürgen, being too loyal perhaps even being sentimental with one or two individuals, add to the mix the serious lack of financial backing from the dove from above, which with hindsight will cost us a lot more now than had we continued to update the side season after season,

Sounds simple enough doesn’t it, rebooting the team each and every season with one or two high end quality players to keep things fresh each and every campaign, ‘Sir Bob’ managed it fantastically well, but of course ppl will say it was much easier back in those heady days, well, no not really, we as a club have never been awash with money so our successes have always come thru hard graft, with a smattering of quality and Bob’s eye for a player he felt was better than he already had,

he had scouts up and down the land who were trusted lieutenant's and would find the odd worldy now and again but, more often than not we’d sign the ‘Andy Robertson’ type and turn them into worldy’s, what’s your secret the media would pose, not only to Bob, and Bill before him, but they also asked Joe, and Kenny too, the secret was that there was no secret, it was down purely to having a group of players all singing and dancing from the same song book, who had a unique sense of being together as one, a camaraderie unmatched anywhere else due to the sense of humour mainly of Scouse & Scottish influences, with a couple of Paddies chucked in for good measure,

And of course the genius that was Bob Paisley, they really did break the mould when old Bob was created, the man was as humble as a digestive biscuit, yet was a complete genius when it came to judging players, both physically and mentally, he seen things no other could see, his first signing was Ray Kennedy, a forward for Arsenal who he turned into one of the best midfield maestro’s ever to done our beautiful Red shirt, and forming in my opinion our greatest ever midfield in, Kennedy, Souness, McDermott Case, he co-joined Dalglish & Rush, Hansen & Thommo subsequently Lawrenson, Phil Neal our most decorated player in our history, was another Paisley incumbent, safe to say, Bob new his onions ??

We were never going to win yesterday, we’d have to have gone there with our League winning heads on and obviously the well oiled machine we had back then, that’s the set  standard that you need to at least match if you stand any chance of a win there, we were, outplayed, outclassed, and taught another lesson by a side who haven’t really progressed that much since our finest hour, the big difference being wher they have evolved and kept those combative wheels in motion, we’ve ground to a halt in comparison,

At this point in the season I think most of the most sensible amongst us have accepted by now the season is a complete write off, only a slender chance of CL football for next season remains a target albeit one we shouldn’t have to fight over, but that’s just the way it is in this moment as Jürgen may say, he’ll also say we have many positives we can use to make us better, the imminent return of Diaz, Jota finding his feet again, Darwin at the ready to terrorise anxious defences, Mo being as clinical as he can be, Cody settled and becoming our new silent assassin, our bedraggled midfield will battle thru to May and the fragmented defence can finally relax knowing new partnerships will evolve for next season, as well as in midfield,

It’s never a nice feeling this, but I try and soak it in as much as those moments I feel ecstatic after a brilliant win or performance, just to remind myself I’m still on this roller coaster ride of emotions that being a Liverpool fan is.

UP THE f***in REDS !!!!

Y  N  W  A

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #614: Apr 02, 2023 01:23:34 pm

Yep, there's not spark a lot of times even with the newer lads.

It's hard to say but it does appear a lot of words falling in deaf ears
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #615: Apr 02, 2023 01:27:41 pm
      I'm no football manager by a long way but does our formation that we play depend on pressing and winning the ball high up like our front three once did? So why are we sticking to the same style if the energy isn't there? Would 3-5-2 not enable us to control midfield maybe using Trent and Robbo as wide players?..I'd change it up now because currently Klopp doesn't have the players to play his preferred system.
      All this said I'm willing to accept we've had some good times over the last 5 years so a  rebuild is going to take time and our patience but I'm backing Jürgen to do it...just hope he doesn't get fed up with it
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #616: Apr 02, 2023 01:44:33 pm
      I'm no football manager by a long way but does our formation that we play depend on pressing and winning the ball high up like our front three once did? So why are we sticking to the same style if the energy isn't there? Would 3-5-2 not enable us to control midfield maybe using Trent and Robbo as wide players?..I'd change it up now because currently Klopp doesn't have the players to play his preferred system.
      All this said I'm willing to accept we've had some good times over the last 5 years so a  rebuild is going to take time and our patience but I'm backing Jürgen to do it...just hope he doesn't get fed up with it

You Imply Jürgen will have to undertake the rebuild on his own, it does look that way and maybe we should help by donating a few pound along with Jürgen’s contribution cos it looks like that's gonna be the only F***ing dosh available.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #617: Apr 02, 2023 02:04:37 pm
      So investment, FSG the f**king wankers, midfield, aside ... quick moan ...

TAA should have been f**king dropped weeks ago. He is a liability every time he plays. The odd hollywood pass aside, he can't defend. Guys are just gliding past him, it's f**king embarrassing. He's not getting tackles in in important areas, he's out of position, and generally looks like he doesn't want to defend anymore. Enough already. DROP him. Get Milly in. Though even Gomez would be better.

First things first. Be f**king harder to beat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elliot is a child among men. He's not a midfielder. He'll 'do a job' against Southampton and in the Cups. But he's not a starter in a side that want to challenge.

Why the F**k is Jürgen bringing on AOC as a sub. When I see that, I wonder what in the name of Christ is Klopp thinking. No matter what angle I come at it from, I can't think of any good reason. None.

Why did we wait until we are 3-1 down and the game was over to bring on 4 subs. It's too f**king LATE.

Jürgen, please, I love you man, but just please.

Regarding Gapko and Nunez, just based on time to date, and I'm open to change this ...

I like Gapko, he has good control and can run with the ball and find a pass. Tall, but not awkward.
      He needs to improve up his intensity and get some shots away.
      But I think he can be a player for us.

Am worried about Nunez, though I think would be in the minority.
      Over the years our front 3 have been brilliant as a unit, finding each other, technically strong.
      Nunez can score, but I just don't see us functioning as a slick unit up there when he plays, his passing and decision making can be incredibly poor.
      Yes, he will get some goals, but being a 'Captain Choas', not being able to predict what he's going to do, his teammates not knowing either, is not going to get us challenging for a title.

I dunno.

Not getting top4, no chance.

Battle of the unwhelmers now on Tues.  A meaningless midtable clash of also rans.

Couple of beers at a family thing there. And plan on a few more...

Feel yer pain mate, Trent needs a rest, a long one, true he has no real competition and square pegs in round triangles don’t work either, young Ramsey is, well too young obviously and will take a while to develop, if he ever does, I would have brought in that young fella Lamptey from  Brighton but alas, he’s not exactly been pulling trees down there this season either, so F**k knows,

I agree with you on Harvey, I said it pre match too, he’s too lightweight for this kind of game, Naby is still fondling the docs balls so wasn’t a option, Ox we all know is a dead man walking , not ideal but I would have had Jimmy in there with Fab & Hendo, making us ‘Harder to f***in beat’

I think Gakpo is a genius signing, he’s settling in nicely, has shown on occasion what he has in his locker, and once we have brought in legs that can press like how we used to, he will thrive, take your disgruntled hat off for a moment and think of this, …..hypothetically……we sign, Bellingham, say Maddison too, maybe even McGynn or whoever the F**k will give us our press back….so Gakpo in a three with Bellingham & Bajcetic, or Tyler Morton or either of Maddison/McGynn, with a  Diaz, Nunez, Mo up top doesn’t that make yer nads tighten a tad,

Captain chaos is flexible, not seen him on the right but he can play wide & centrally, the fella is a beast and will only get better, Diaz can float all along that front line, create havoc, can link up, can score, can head, can do f***in anything, Mo is Mo he scares the sh*t out of any defenders, now just imagine those four, backed by two sold midfielders that can squeeze the F**k out of any back five and force huge amounts of pressure on any defensive unit,

I’m surprised as anyone why Jürgen kept hold of those like Ox, Naby when either hadn’t contributed much last couple of seasons, I can however understand holding onto Milner & Hendo, both obviously for the experiences they have, and of leadership, no brainer right there, so now we approach another pre season needing much more than we should, and costing us many many more millions into the bargain, that is just pure and utter mismanagement right on the button, no, not football mismanagement I’m talking football club mismanagement, and that points straight to Boston!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #618: Apr 02, 2023 03:00:38 pm
      It could well end in a draw, with both sides so out of form this season. Next game being Arsenal !

It's Chelsea away Tuesday night!!

Yes Gomez - the same Gomez who has done very well anytime he has played there

Just not this season, this season he's been F***ing awful, to the point where he can join Ox and Keita in departing.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #619: Apr 02, 2023 03:02:31 pm
      Our fans leaving before the game finished is something that I never expected to see this season.

Really, loads were leaving before the end of the Madrid game too!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #620: Apr 02, 2023 03:06:53 pm

Or unless we won the league and weren't arsed!!

Quick Reply