Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Chelsea?

Alisson Becker
      23 (51.1%)
      Joe Gomez
      3 (6.7%)
      Ibrahima Konaté
      7 (15.6%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      3 (6.7%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      1 (2.2%)
      Diogo Jota
      2 (4.4%)
      Darwin Núñez
      2 (4.4%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (2.2%)
      James Milner
      2 (4.4%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (2.2%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Cody Gakpo
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: Apr 08, 2023 09:54:45 pm

Chelsea 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 11259 times
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Re: Chelsea 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #391: Apr 05, 2023 01:37:08 am
      Haven't watched the game today. Judging by the highlights, we barely made it out alive with the point. From the highlights I've seen, we haven't had a shot from inside their box (2 Nunez shots from outside and a Gomez one also from the outside). We also can't say we kept the clean sheet because we played a tight game at the back, but then again maybe the highlights aren't shining the greatest light on that. It looked like if Chelsea were a bit more decisive this game would've ended 4-0 minimum.

Normally, in a context where the team is struggling for form I would say that this is a good clean sheet to take home and build on towards better form, but there's 9 games left to the season and we've been there more than once this season. We are sh*t for 5 games, finally manage a clean sheet and maybe even collect all 3 points on the night only for the team to come out completely flat the next game.

At this point, all we can hope for is that we can collect a few points here and there and that the other teams results help us. With that said, realistically speaking, we're not getting that CL spot. There was never going to be anything better to build on than that win away from home at Newcastle followed by the United game and we threw that away almost like we don't want to play CL football.

I would say lets play the youngsters, but even that has gone sideways with Bajcetic, Doak and Ramsay injured. I can't wait for this season to be over.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #392: Apr 05, 2023 06:52:55 am
      If James Milner is a LB than TAA can be a midfielder. Can't be much worse then he has at RB

Next time you go to Hospital for a operation ask the bloke who wheels you to the theatre if he wouldn’t mind doing the f***in operation too, in fact insist on it, for what seems like the Millionth time Trent Alexander Arnold is NOT a Midfielder, he did play as one when he was younger, however that was when he was still learning & developing and was never his settled position, in fact I read he only played there cos he wasn’t good enough to remove the rb at the time and his manager stuck him in there so he could play!!

F**kin Mouthgate wasn’t his manager back then but he does have the same fu**ed up logic, Trent at the time was flying and Mouthgate thought he’d be clever and use Trent in midfield, for two reasons, the first was so he could play his favourite rwb in Kyle Walker, second, he was saving face knowing NOT playing Trent at all would bring the inevitable backlash from the media, oh and there’s a third reason, Mouthgate hasn’t the balls to be upfront and be honest and is hesitant in making decisive decisions !!

Trent needs a long break, he’s still a young man, I’m betting he has covered more ground than most since Jürgen gave him his debut, the poor lad is burnt out, he has no competition for his slot apart from Gomez or Jimmy but only if he’s injured suspended or Jürgen rests him temporarily, Jürgen doesn’t put square pegs in round triangles unless it’s absolutely necessary, I hope that this bit of a rant finally gets thru to those who thinks Trent in midfield would work !!

Jimmy isn’t a rb either btw !!

YNWA
      « Last Edit: Apr 05, 2023 07:00:33 am by billythered »
      Jmase77
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 401 posts |
      Reply #393: Apr 05, 2023 07:53:14 am
      Don’t think it will matter. Anyone should be able to walk around and pass the ball backwards.
      don't forget the pointing you got to be a great pointer!!!!
      Jmase77
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 401 posts |
      Reply #394: Apr 05, 2023 07:54:28 am
      A midfielder who we never bought the last two seasons
      time for Arthur to make a grand entrance ....
      Jmase77
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 401 posts |
      Re: Live: Chelsea V Liverpool
      Reply #395: Apr 05, 2023 08:00:06 am
      I wrote that as a joke, but the more i think about it, the more it make sense. Fab this season has been a different player maybe because he knows he is on his way out and doesnt bother to put in a effort. I know Xabi upped his game in his last season, but different personalities respond differently. Then there was huge smoke about bellingham and other midfielders.
      The way fabs game has dropped we'll be lucky to get 30mill for him he is shocking runs like he's 55 years old always 2 seconds late in a tackle never seen a drop off in quality in short space of time
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #396: Apr 05, 2023 08:55:11 am
      nil nil as predicted
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #397: Apr 05, 2023 09:40:54 am
      Was the Hendo incident much ado about nothing or more to it then lads?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #398: Apr 05, 2023 10:00:58 am

It was nothing- Matip and Allison had a mix up that nearly led to a goal , Henderson had a pop at Allison saying he should have said it was his. It seems that he did so then Henderson went to have a pop at Matip
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #399: Apr 05, 2023 10:14:18 am

It needed sorting. He did that, and explained his annoyance calmly to Allison at the final whistle. No problem. 
      He was bollocking people all night but it was constructive:-communicate, release it quicker, make your run, close him down.
      No blaming others and avoiding responsibility like we’ve seen from some of our lads lately.

I thought the captain did ok in a team that is utterly shot of confidence and a system that even Chelsea have found out how to counter.  His leadership is needed more now than ever.
      YNWA
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #400: Apr 05, 2023 10:18:45 am
      Cheers lads. Seen a lot of chat on Twitter and wondered was it overreacting.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #401: Apr 05, 2023 10:30:29 am
      Time for some unpopular opinions

Gomez - thought he was solid enough for his first game for a while , his positioning was better than TAA and pace covered well - just paniced at times. Happy to see him play there at Arsenal

Jones - was tidy on the ball , tried to go forward everytime , looked to play balls down the line , was always high in the press

They both get slaughtered but there was solid enough and something to build on after not playing much for a while.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #402: Apr 05, 2023 10:43:19 am

Gomez - thought he was solid enough for his first game for a while , his positioning was better than TAA and pace covered well - just paniced at times. Happy to see him play there at Arsenal

Jones - was tidy on the ball , tried to go forward everytime , looked to play balls down the line , was always high in the press

They both get slaughtered but there was solid enough and something to build on after not playing much for a while.

For me Gomez is a capable RB. Different to Trent but much better than he gets credit for.

Can't comment on last night as I didn't see it.

jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 867 posts | 101 
      Reply #403: Apr 05, 2023 11:05:10 am
      Klopp need to give Henderson a bollocking, shouting at Alisson like you are some prime Vieira where you can't even control a simple ball

maybe Jordy still has his suspicions about The Real first leg
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,557 posts | 135 
      Reply #404: Apr 05, 2023 11:10:39 am
      Fabinho suits a slow paced league like the Serie A. I think he'd do well in that league, sadly the pace of the PL is getting faster and we need a midfielder who has the pace to play in that DM role.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #405: Apr 05, 2023 11:12:36 am
      For me Gomez is a capable RB. Different to Trent but much better than he gets credit for.

Can't comment on last night as I didn't see it.

You didn’t miss much mate. We were lucky not to concede and only made one real chance that I can remember (Fabinho shot headed wide) apart from a decent long ranger from Gomez that was saved.

Time to dig deep and fight for each other. At least we saw some of that last night. I’m satisfied with a point from it, given where we are.
      Now…
      If we can just beat the Arse at the wkend!?!
      YNWA
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #406: Apr 05, 2023 11:16:53 am
      Fabinho suits a slow paced league like the Serie A. I think he'd do well in that league, sadly the pace of the PL is getting faster and we need a midfielder who has the pace to play in that DM role.

I think you’ve got a point. He commits so many fouls where the man has already beaten him, and he’s painfully slow on the turn.  Made a few mistakes in possession last night but his positioning was sound in the main.  Did some good work too, tobbe fair to the lad.
      Just want the old Fab back!
      YNWA
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #407: Apr 05, 2023 11:31:37 am
      Does anyone else think our 4-3-3 high line/high press game has had its time? Or is it just a question of new personnel to make it work again?
      Seems like every team we play now has read the book about how to open us up like a gutted fish.

Systems have a shelf-life, after all.

Personally, I’d try 3 at the back with TAA and AR as genuine wing backs, with 1 sitting DM.  Just think we’d get the best out of 2 of our strongest attack options (TAA/AR) without them needing to leg it up and down quite so much, and be less open at the back. Also allows one CB to roam into midfield or break lines forward without too much risk.

It may not be ‘in fashion’ but…
      I think it’d suit our current players’ limitations and talents better. We don’t have 3 reliable all-action hi-energy CMs anymore, and we’d only need 1 maybe 2.

But then, my head isn’t on the block!
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,609 posts | 365 
      Reply #408: Apr 05, 2023 11:37:19 am
      But that was...tonight and...Arsenal is a different game...see that's how it works...

... not sure what you're on about really. All we can do is put the players we rested back into the starting XI which I'm guessing was the reason we made the changes last night.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #409: Apr 05, 2023 11:41:37 am

It’s weird how opinions can differ so much with fans but we all love opinions no matter who’s right and who’s wrong. As you know I don’t see what you see with Gomez, defensively he’s the first play out for me in that position once you’ve bought/traded four midfielders ( which probably won’t happen ) in the summer window.

I get your reasoning with Jones, all thought not really good enough for a Liverpool player you couldn’t rule out improvement so take the gamble and keep him based on not having a budget of City & Chavs.

Poor as TAA has been I wouldn’t replace him, I’m convinced once that midfield sorted you’ll see him at his best again apart from his weaknesses defending.

Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #410: Apr 05, 2023 11:46:39 am
      Wasn't Pass 'N' Move....more like pass and stand still and it's been like that all season. Playing out from the back was painful to watch. Nobody plays the playmaker role.

Concerned for the future as the squad, apart from one or two, is past it's best. How long will we be 'out of it'...anybody's guess.
      rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #411: Apr 05, 2023 12:24:25 pm
      I think you’ve got a point. He commits so many fouls where the man has already beaten him, and he’s painfully slow on the turn.  Made a few mistakes in possession last night but his positioning was sound in the main.  Did some good work too, tobbe fair to the lad.
      Just want the old Fab back!
      YNWA

The old Fab was painfully slow and ran with a parachute attached. The difference was his reading of the game was on point and made up his lack of.pace through being able to intercept .
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #412: Apr 05, 2023 01:35:43 pm
      Wasn't Pass 'N' Move....more like pass and stand still and it's been like that all season. Playing out from the back was painful to watch. Nobody plays the playmaker role.

Concerned for the future as the squad, apart from one or two, is past it's best. How long will we be 'out of it'...anybody's guess.

It's easier to look at who we can keep and build around than it is to talk about who needs to be replaced. 

If we are looking at a full rebuild, then Virgil and Mo look like they need to be sold asap to shift their salaries and get what we can in terms of fees to reinvest. 

Keep:  Ali, Konate, Robbo, Tsimi, Darwin, Lucho, Gakpo, Jota, Harvey, Carvalho, Bajcetic, Morton, and Doak

Sell the rest.

Fun times....   :mad:
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #413: Apr 05, 2023 01:38:55 pm

Agreed.

Quick Reply