Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Chelsea?

Alisson Becker
      23 (51.1%)
      Joe Gomez
      3 (6.7%)
      Ibrahima Konaté
      7 (15.6%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      3 (6.7%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      1 (2.2%)
      Diogo Jota
      2 (4.4%)
      Darwin Núñez
      2 (4.4%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (2.2%)
      James Milner
      2 (4.4%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (2.2%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Cody Gakpo
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: Apr 08, 2023 09:54:45 pm

Chelsea 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 11244 times
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Re: Chelsea 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #414: Apr 05, 2023 01:46:51 pm
      It's easier to look at who we can keep and build around than it is to talk about who needs to be replaced. 

If we are looking at a full rebuild, then Virgil and Mo look like they need to be sold asap to shift their salaries and get what we can in terms of fees to reinvest. 

Keep:  Ali, Konate, Robbo, Tsimi, Darwin, Lucho, Gakpo, Jota, Harvey, Carvalho, Bajcetic, Morton, and Doak

Sell the rest.

Fun times....   :mad:

Go on... You need to suggest replacements for Virgil and Mo and the rest!!!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #415: Apr 05, 2023 02:36:12 pm
      Was the Hendo incident much ado about nothing or more to it then lads?

I'm assuming since they are professionals it all got sorted, it just doesn't look good for Hendo to be giving it to Allison when Hendo is the one that needed the telling off last night.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #416: Apr 05, 2023 02:53:02 pm
      Why do people name players like Morton for next season? Just because he’s registered with us and his position is midfield, doesn’t mean he is a realistic option.

Bajcetic is the same. The kid has talent and he’s done well when he’s featured but he’s not a realistic option. He’s not somebody who can come in and play near 38 games for us and expect to challenge the likes of city and arsenal for the title.

It’s like going back to the summer and people were justifying us not signing midfielders because Harvey Elliott was on our books. So what? He’s not a centre mid. Never has been. Never will be. And he has been been poor.

Same with Curtis Jones. Justifying not signing players because he’s on our books. Again, so what. He isn’t good enough. Never has been, never will be.

We need at least 3 genuine midfielders who are going to come in and have an immediate impact. Of course, nothing is a given, look at Keita who will probably go down as our worst ever signing considering his price tag and lack of playing time, but for a club our size and with the ambitions we have, we can’t rely or expect kids to compete with the likes of city.

If we go into next season with bajcetic, Morton, Jones and Elliott as genuine options for our midfield then im sorry to say, we will be fighting for 6th at best.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #417: Apr 05, 2023 03:20:06 pm
      Time for some unpopular opinions

Gomez - thought he was solid enough for his first game for a while , his positioning was better than TAA and pace covered well - just paniced at times. Happy to see him play there at Arsenal

Jones - was tidy on the ball , tried to go forward everytime , looked to play balls down the line , was always high in the press

They both get slaughtered but there was solid enough and something to build on after not playing much for a while.

Didn’t see the game so thought I would read some feedback from the jungles of Borneo - modern internet eh 😁

How are two average players going to propel us back to where we want to be?

You know what, We can challenge
      for trophies again once we get in some decent midfielders but those two are going to be HG squad fillers at best.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #418: Apr 05, 2023 03:24:16 pm
      Didn’t see the game so thought I would read some feedback from the jungles of Borneo - modern internet eh 😁

How are two average players going to propel us back to where we want to be?

You know what, We can challenge
      for trophies again once we get in some decent midfielders but those two are going to be HG squad fillers at best.

The reason Gomez looked better than Trent is because he stayed back and didn't join in attack. He was fine, but to me I'd rather have Trent in there capable of producing something.

Jones wasn't that good. He was tidy on the ball at times, at other times needlessly giving it away or giving it to guys in bad situations. At one point Konate got stamped by someone, passed the ball to Jones and Jones passes it right back to Konate as he's limping along. I was like WTF? I still contend the only reason people thought Jones looked "good" is because Hendo and Fab looked like old men and it didn't matter who was next to them, they would look good by default.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #419: Apr 05, 2023 03:28:08 pm
      The reason Gomez looked better than Trent is because he stayed back and didn't join in attack. He was fine, but to me I'd rather have Trent in there capable of producing something.

Jones wasn't that good. He was tidy on the ball at times, at other times needlessly giving it away or giving it to guys in bad situations. At one point Konate got stamped by someone, passed the ball to Jones and Jones passes it right back to Konate as he's limping along. I was like WTF? I still contend the only reason people thought Jones looked "good" is because Hendo and Fab looked like old men and it didn't matter who was next to them, they would look good by default.

All good points.

__Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,609 posts | 365 
      Reply #420: Apr 05, 2023 03:35:49 pm
      In the first half when Havertz had his shot saved from 6 yards out it came from Felix running behind Gomez who stood and watched.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #421: Apr 05, 2023 03:38:02 pm
      In the first half when Havertz had his shot saved from 6 yards out it came from Felix running behind Gomez who stood and watched.

Don’t know who is worse for that Gomez or Arnald
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #422: Apr 05, 2023 03:43:12 pm
      Think the Boss went OTT slightly. We showed little threat on both flanks. Bobby few nice touches, Jota is a home player, box predator. Not much use on the counter. The front 3 Mo, Gakpo and Nunez ripped United to shreds. Yes the City game we were crap but in hindsight he might've taken into account, a bit more, that it was City...at their best...at their place.

Yes we need a reboot in midfield but the best front 3 are Mo, Nunez and Gakpo and there were strong signs that they, given the ammo, can be a serious force. Diaz comes into to make it even stronger.

V Arsenal it has to be Mo, Gakpo,Nunez. Panic, making wholesale changes needs time and we have not got that. The rebuild should wait for the close season when we can put it together.
      « Last Edit: Apr 05, 2023 03:53:00 pm by Harrisimo »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #423: Apr 05, 2023 04:07:22 pm
      I do fully expect us to beat Arsenal. That's the type of Jekyll and Hyde performance I've come to expect this season.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 727 posts | 111 
      Reply #424: Apr 05, 2023 04:16:38 pm
      Go on... You need to suggest replacements for Virgil and Mo and the rest!!!

No he doesn't ... the club employ people to do that. He's right though - it is probably quicker and easier to write a list of players to keep instead of players who need to go!
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 727 posts | 111 
      Reply #425: Apr 05, 2023 04:21:40 pm
      Don’t know who is worse for that Gomez or Arnald

I dont think either are natural right-backs ... Gomez needs to be playing at centre-back. TAA I'm not sure where his best position is but to be play at full-back you have to be able to defend he just can't ... he's great going forwards (most of the time) but defensively he is Sunday League standard and, if anything, seemed to have regressed defensively over the last 12-18 months.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #426: Apr 05, 2023 04:44:26 pm
      Id love to see us play 3-5-2.

Gomez, konate & VVD

Trent & Robbo as proper wing backs.

But cant see klopp changing to that.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #427: Apr 05, 2023 04:58:51 pm
      No he doesn't ... the club employ people to do that. He's right though - it is probably quicker and easier to write a list of players to keep instead of players who need to go!

So that's the thing on these boards. We're all experts at talking. We see a problem, usually off mediocre or poor results, and we start firing off what should and should not be done. Usually, these are broad ideas with little or no specifics.

We need to let these people go. But who do you replace them with. How much money can they recoup? That's the club's problem. Can we then be a little more concrete in the solutions we propose? No. We need to haul off TAA. But who should replace him. Milly or Joe. Oh it's Jürgen's job. We just talk. And if the subs don't work, that's Jurgens fault.

It proves one thing. Talk is cheap. Will FSG pump in £150m? Where's the money coming from? Don't know. Don't care. Their pockets are assumed to have £200b and they are not doing it.

Some of us will continue saying what's wrong without proper follow up plans. Which is why we're here and not actually managing the club and answering for the outcomes.

Let's continue talking...
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 727 posts | 111 
      Reply #428: Apr 05, 2023 07:28:06 pm
      So that's the thing on these boards. We're all experts at talking. We see a problem, usually off mediocre or poor results, and we start firing off what should and should not be done. Usually, these are broad ideas with little or no specifics.

We need to let these people go. But who do you replace them with. How much money can they recoup? That's the club's problem. Can we then be a little more concrete in the solutions we propose? No. We need to haul off TAA. But who should replace him. Milly or Joe. Oh it's Jürgen's job. We just talk. And if the subs don't work, that's Jurgens fault.

It proves one thing. Talk is cheap. Will FSG pump in £150m? Where's the money coming from? Don't know. Don't care. Their pockets are assumed to have £200b and they are not doing it.

Some of us will continue saying what's wrong without proper follow up plans. Which is why we're here and not actually managing the club and answering for the outcomes.

Let's continue talking...

Yes ... that's exactly it - these forums exist for every professional club and are for fans to vent and rant etc. The point I was making earlier is that the club will have a global scouting network comprising thousands of scouts across the planet. You can't expect one person on here to have the same levels of knowledge that they will have.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #429: Apr 05, 2023 07:29:52 pm

Gomez, konate & VVD

This is another system that the squad make up lends itself too more than the stagnant 4 3 3 we keep playing.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #430: Apr 06, 2023 08:36:14 am
      This is another system that the squad make up lends itself too more than the stagnant 4 3 3 we keep playing.

Never know klopp might surprise us and try this. l o l
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #431: Apr 06, 2023 10:07:03 am

https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/comments/12coylv/jones_funny_onetwo_with_an_injured_konate_vs/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb

Passing it straight back to limping konate  :lmao:
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,232 posts | 751 
      Reply #432: Apr 06, 2023 11:14:35 am
      Fed up tbh of all the passing back, in most games this season. Seemingly gone backwards from what we have seen, from the side in recent seasons !
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 790 posts | 273 
      Reply #433: Apr 06, 2023 11:15:16 am
      Time for some unpopular opinions

Gomez - thought he was solid enough for his first game for a while , his positioning was better than TAA and pace covered well - just paniced at times. Happy to see him play there at Arsenal

Jones - was tidy on the ball , tried to go forward everytime , looked to play balls down the line , was always high in the press

They both get slaughtered but there was solid enough and something to build on after not playing much for a while.

Agree with this, I think they were both solid, did their job with a few good moments but nothing spectacular. In this season that qualifies as a good day at work, unfortunately. I still think that they are both probably squad players and I'm ok with that.

I hope I'm wrong and these 2 can develop into top quality players but I'm not optimistic.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,232 posts | 751 
      Reply #434: Apr 06, 2023 11:17:22 am

Gomez, konate & VVD

A bit too radical for Klopp's liking, cannot do any worse, the way the team are performing at present.

Crunchycrisps
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts | 85 
      Reply #435: Apr 06, 2023 01:41:11 pm
      He was originally a central midfielder and it was Klopp who stuck him at right back so I don't even get why people persist with he's not a midfielder crap. It's so weird and a lie.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #436: Apr 06, 2023 01:44:31 pm
      He was originally a central midfielder and it was Klopp who stuck him at right back so I don't even get why people persist with he's not a midfielder crap. It's so weird and a lie.

Well actually he moved to right back very early during his academy days before Klopp even arrived at the club - but hey let’s not let that fact get in the way

Quick Reply