Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Leeds?

Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      26 (35.6%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      2 (2.7%)
      Ibrahima Konaté
      1 (1.4%)
       Fabinho
      1 (1.4%)
      Curtis Jones
      12 (16.4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Cody Gakpo
      6 (8.2%)
      Mohammed Salah
      13 (17.8%)
      Diogo Jota
      12 (16.4%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      0 (0%)
      Luis Diaz
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Darwin NĂșñez
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Voting closed: Apr 21, 2023 09:52:26 pm

Leeds United 1-6 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 8775 times
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: Leeds United 1-6 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #391: Apr 18, 2023 08:44:07 am
      Trent is still RB FYI, hes just moving in MF when we have the ball, and Konate comes over to cover the RB position. Robbo is having to sit back a bit more as well, to make this back 3 up.

Its all good though, defo gets the best out of Trent.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #392: Apr 18, 2023 09:13:52 am
      So many doubters of giving Trent a chance in midfield

Not really.  Most people on here have been saying he is better suited advanced than defending for a long time.  It's only because the intensity has gone out of our pressing that his defending has been more exposed this season - as has all the defenders to be fair.

Its all good though, defo gets the best out of Trent.

You still need another high energy midfielder though to create those overlaps with Salah.  Although it will help us in midfield it may give decent teams' left backs an easier afternoon.  Worked well last night, was a ropey start to it against Arsenal.  Even last night Sinisterra probably should have put Leeds ahead early on when we got caught out.

Ultimately it's a workaround because our midfield have been so poor. 
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #393: Apr 18, 2023 09:23:36 am
      So many doubters of giving Trent a chance in midfield ( I’m not one of them ) I always thought he was worth a few games in that position  as if pays off would be a spring in his bow. What can be said is that on the 90/180 mins he’s played in the middle more there can’t be any negatives can they?

He was up for it tonite and not only smile on his face but spring in his step also. Set up that 85 million player that still haven’t made my mind up for a good goal.

His performance tonite will certainly be having his doubters on humble pie duties. 😂😉  To be fair still early days but if you’re only getting 2/3 midfielders in the summer then maybe he’s just versatile enough to give you that extra dimension when needed.?

As previously stated he’s one that I would keep despite his poor form this year. With the necessary changes you could get your old Trent back

God forbid me for saying it. 🤦‍♂😂

Trent wasn’t really in midfield though , he tucked in when we had the ball and then when defending he was right back

There was a bit of talk about it last night and whilst I think it’s going to leave Konate exposed at times they aren’t going to move TAA in there as a permanent midfielder
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #394: Apr 18, 2023 09:41:49 am
      Playing Trent as an inverted full back makes sense in that it deals with two issues that have plagued Liverpool all season.
      Leaves Konate with a lot to do as the back 4 shifts to a back 3, and requires Robbo to be more reserved.
      Cityesque in it's execution and hopefully gives the team the drive to keep winning.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #395: Apr 18, 2023 09:54:41 am
      Whilst the Trent position worked last night I'm not convinced were solid enough right now against better sides to play like this.

It gives Konate a hell of a lot of work to do and against a better team and attack we'd have been fu**ed.

By all means test it this season as we've little to play for as if it's going to be our default tactics then it needs worked on

We could get similar results by starting Trent alongside Fabinho and dropping Henderson and playing a traditional RB.

But then you need to rejig the forward positions I suppose.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #396: Apr 18, 2023 09:59:04 am
      Not really.  Most people on here have been saying he is better suited advanced than defending for a long time.  It's only because the intensity has gone out of our pressing that his defending has been more exposed this season - as has all the defenders to be fair.

You still need another high energy midfielder though to create those overlaps with Salah.  Although it will help us in midfield it may give decent teams' left backs an easier afternoon.  Worked well last night, was a ropey start to it against Arsenal.  Even last night Sinisterra probably should have put Leeds ahead early on when we got caught out.

Indeed.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #397: Apr 18, 2023 10:03:51 am

I thought really JD. Now I’m not saying for a second that should be his new position but Klopp tweaked the system and it worked, ok it was Leeds and long way to go but Trent was Mose definitely comfortable in the middle then moving back to his natural position.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #398: Apr 18, 2023 10:05:51 am
      Whilst the Trent position worked last night I'm not convinced were solid enough right now against better sides to play like this.

It gives Konate a hell of a lot of work to do and against a better team and attack we'd have been fu**ed.

By all means test it this season as we've little to play for as if it's going to be our default tactics then it needs worked on

We could get similar results by starting Trent alongside Fabinho and dropping Henderson and playing a traditional RB.

But then you need to rejig the forward positions I suppose.

Agreed not solid enough yet but Klopp had to do something, that something worked and with new additions. (( like I said few weeks back )) you’ll see the old Trent back in my opinion. Happy to be proven wrong though and you sell him.  ;D
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #399: Apr 18, 2023 11:21:12 am
      If trent ever left it would be kicking and screaming. 1 club man.

Same with Jones, really cant see him leaving unless forced out.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #400: Apr 18, 2023 12:26:12 pm
      Far as Trent is concerned the 'genie is out of the bottle'..and there's no going back. I think he could even be a genuine box-to-box midfielder. That's the best use of his talents...ok..ok....lets ask the man himself..

H..."Trent mate, do you think you can be an all round box-to-box midfielder.."

Trent.."ZZZZZzzzzz.."

H.."Still in bed the lazy git.."
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #401: Apr 18, 2023 01:00:19 pm
      Thought Konate was really good apart from his gaff, Robbo looked more up for it, great touch to knock it past the defender to setup the pass to Gapko for Salahs goal. 

TAA and Jones both played well, TAA involved in a few goals, some top passes.  Having TAA move up into the middle is fine against Leeds/where teams are sitting off us/when we have lots of possession, but against better sides, him being more out of position will expose us at the back. When we are the ones pushed back, and he can't get forward, we need 'actual' CMs who can make those passes, hopefully will be getting in more options in summer. In the meantime though, it's an option.

Though Jota was poor for a chunk of the 1st half, but got going, couple of nice finishes. Salah showed what he can do and Gapko was neat and tidy and involved.  Interesting Nunez out of the first XI again. Diaz looked a bit rusty, to be expected, good to see him back though.

Need to follow this up against Forest.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #402: Apr 18, 2023 04:37:27 pm
      The really good thing about last night is we now have the option of Moving Trent forward when required, he won’t stick to being a AWB and nor will he become our new midfield dynamo, we can adapt at any time dependant on who the opposition are, you could argue we’ve always had that ? Yes, but we never used it unless Trent did under his own volition, but now it has been tried and has worked with a degree of success we can tweak it further and actually adopt it is a tool when indeed required,

We still need fresh, younger legs coming in, having the option of moving Trent forward should not be a caveat used to save us money’s in the transfer kitty, could that be the real reason for Trent moving up ? f***in hope not, I’d still be bringing in the 5/6 we need, and gradually easing out those who’s legs have deserted them,

Quite rightly waxing lyrical regarding Trent, but another young lad stepping up last night was Curtis, now I’ll admit I rolled my eyes when I read the team sheet and expected Thiago but saw Jones, however after a usual dodgy start the lad grew into the game more and more and but for Trent was motm,  now I dunno if someone has a had a strong word or the penny has finally dropped but if he can maintain that level of performance he may very well have a future here,

With us getting the war wounded back and almost ready to start games again, suddenly JĂŒrgen has his work cut out choosing the best X1, we haven’t had that all season long, we got Forest next who like Leeds are battling for their league survival and like Leeds will try their best but it won’t be good enough,

Can honestly see another mauling handed out to them but I hope it doesn’t cost Coops his job, he has done a brilliant Job  there and won’t deserve Forest directors panicking, think Saints are doomed, can’t see them surviving, so two of three to join them, so ‘please please me’, ‘let it be, let it be’ Everton and they don’t get any ‘Help’ from any f**ker, and they go Down down deeper and down( yeah I know, Stautus Quo, F**k off 😁)

YNWA
      Don77

• 6,327 posts | 1036 
      Reply #403: Apr 18, 2023 04:58:35 pm
      For 40 minutes or so last night it was as per this season. Dire. Slow, predictable and void of any plan or ideas.

Then we get a break of the ball ... and all of a sudden we find something. Despite the cockup early 2nd half we never looked in danger and could have scored more.

It was great to see Jota back in the goals and full of running. He was motm for me and when he's playing well so do we.

Not getting carried away though. We've seen a few glimmers this season and had them snuffed out. Leeds were dreadful and you can see why Palace destroyed them.

Finally. Trent and Jones. Everyone knows I don't think Jones is good enough. Last night changed nothing. But credit where it is due. He grew into the game last night and played well. 6 months of performances like that ... maybe il revise my opinion. But well played last night.

Trent. Very critical of him all season ... and rightly so. But there's no doubt he's a talented footballer. So it was great to see him contributing last night and looking energised. If we buy a proper right back this summer ... surely we can get the best attributes of his game on show more and further up the pitch. Close 2nd for motm. Well played Trent.

Onto forest. Just want this season over. Beat forest West ham and spurs and we will be sniffing top 5. Onwards we go.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #404: Apr 18, 2023 06:31:23 pm
      FSG may take the attitude, that Trent has become one of our much needed midfield players, so one less for them to fund 😱
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #405: Apr 18, 2023 06:56:15 pm
      Staggering how much quieter it is when we do well
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #406: Apr 18, 2023 07:00:23 pm
      Staggering how much quieter it is when we do well

Even more so the ones that said Trent couldn’t play a midfield role of some sort. It’s fooking deafening.  :lmao:
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #407: Apr 18, 2023 07:02:41 pm
      Even more so the ones that said Trent couldn’t play a midfield role of some sort. It’s fooking deafening.  :lmao:

Long way to go there yet - it’s not really a midfield role he played last night as well
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #408: Apr 18, 2023 07:14:33 pm
      Long way to go there yet - it’s not really a midfield role he played last night as well

Klopp mixed his role up and it worked to good effect. Think it’s the first time he’s played and no negativity towards him which obviously speaks volumes. Now I’m not for a second saying he’s an out and out midfielder. However, first impressions ( early days ) shows this can now be an option when things not going well, obviously it was only Leeds and bigger test to come.

Thing that I was most impressed with he seemed to enjoy it and finally had some passion in his new found space, for me it was his best game of the season. Arguably it now means one less midfielder you need but I’d still by at least 3 myself. The lad was all over the field, his stats would be interesting along with his heat map for the game.. Can you get them? Would like to see that.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #409: Apr 18, 2023 07:23:14 pm
      Klopp mixed his role up and it worked to good effect. Think it’s the first time he’s played and no negativity towards him which obviously speaks volumes. Now I’m not for a second saying he’s an out and out midfielder. However, first impressions ( early days ) shows this can now be an option when things not going well, obviously it was only Leeds and bigger test to come.

Thing that I was most impressed with he seemed to enjoy it and finally had some passion in his new found space, for me it was his best game of the season. Arguably it now means one less midfielder you need but I’d still by at least 3 myself. The lad was all over the field, his stats would be interesting along with his heat map for the game.. Can you get them? Would like to see that.

He also played there against Arsenal

And no it doesn’t mean one less midfielder

Trent isn’t suddenly a midfielder- he is playing as an inverted fullback which means at times when we have the ball he tucks in and gets on the ball on the right side of the midfield

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #410: Apr 18, 2023 07:28:36 pm
      He also played there against Arsenal

And no it doesn’t mean one less midfielder

Trent isn’t suddenly a midfielder- he is playing as an inverted fullback which means at times when we have the ball he tucks in and gets on the ball on the right side of the midfield

He did and shouldn’t mean one less midfielder but knowing your mates!!! It probably will, if you only get two midfielders then they have.  ;D

Already stated my case you need four but that won’t happen anyway, fortunately  :f_whistle:
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #411: Apr 18, 2023 08:01:36 pm
      He did and shouldn’t mean one less midfielder but knowing your mates!!! It probably will, if you only get two midfielders then they have.  ;D

Already stated my case you need four but that won’t happen anyway, fortunately  :f_whistle:

They won’t suddenly not bring someone in based on TAA playing as an inverted fullback and they won’t bring in 4
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #412: Apr 18, 2023 08:33:03 pm

They won’t suddenly not bring someone in based on TAA playing as an inverted fullback and they won’t bring in 4
      You’ll see.  :) Yes I know they won’t bring four in, I said that.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #413: Apr 18, 2023 11:35:10 pm

Bring in the right ones and it won't have to be 4.

Quick Reply