Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Marseille or United?

Read 2714 times
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Marseille or United?
      Dec 03, 2007 07:29:30 pm
      Which game is the biggest the Marsellie game or the Utd game? Can we afford to lose any of them a loss v Marsellie would see us out of the champions league but a loss to Utd would seriously dent our title chances even more so if Arsenal were to beat Chelsea on the same day.
      « Last Edit: Dec 07, 2007 12:31:07 am by JD »
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Re: Marsellie or Utd
      Reply #1: Dec 03, 2007 07:33:15 pm
      Both games are equally important for different reasons, we cant afford to lose either of them - so we won't - In Rafa We Trust !  ;)
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #2: Dec 03, 2007 07:46:00 pm
      As iv'e always said, Play your stongest available side at all times if you are serious about winning anything.
      Changes should only be made for decisive tactical reasons and not for resting players. With our current form, confidence and creativity, we should beat both those sides. COME ON YOU MIGHTY REDS.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #3: Dec 03, 2007 07:52:29 pm
      Both very important games, but the Marseille game just edges it for me as there's no way back if we lose that one. A defeat against Utd wouldn't finish our title chances, although it would make life a lot harder.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #4: Dec 03, 2007 07:52:42 pm
      Both games are equally important for different reasons, we cant afford to lose either of them - so we won't - In Rafa We Trust !  ;)

Spot on! Both are equally important. Both, a must-win for liverpool.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #5: Dec 03, 2007 08:01:56 pm
      A win in both is hardly Mission Impossible! The United game wouldn't be the end of the world but as Eddie has already said, it would make life a bit more difficult at the top of the table! We need to assert some superiority now to keep them a step behind us!

Marsielle however? We definitley need to make sure the 3 points are ours! Going out of the Champions League now wouldn't be good and it'd certainly put a dent in our confidence! Although the lack of fixtures would give us a bit more freshness, but I'd prefer number 6 to go with our 19th Title! ;)
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #6: Dec 03, 2007 08:28:37 pm
      Both of equally importance-two wins would really put the fear into all our rivals across Europe.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #7: Dec 03, 2007 08:39:00 pm
      Okay - we obviously want to win both.  If the point of this thread was 'Which one do we need to win more' then for me it is United all the way.

I would take a defeat against Marseille to be guaranteed victory against United.

We asked on the forum at the start of the season and it was clear that the Premiership was our priority.  Our number one priority.

The Champions League is good for prestige, and money - but we desperately need to win the Premiership.

We've won the European cup 5 times and United are not breathing down our necks in that competition.  Our biggest problem over recent years has been in dispatching the other top four sides in the Premiership.

A solid victory over United would not only give us a very valuable 3 points but would instill emphatically in the players consciousness that they really are good enough to win the title.
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #8: Dec 03, 2007 08:48:13 pm
      To beat United would be a mega boast going into the Christmas period, I think we will win both and I've not been that optimistic for a few years!! But I want to win the league more than Europe and any victory over Man Ure always leads to excessive consumption of alcohol and plenty of song! If I had to choose, I would rather seen a load of unhappy Mancs crying into their beer!
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #9: Dec 03, 2007 10:59:03 pm
      If I had to choose, I would rather seen a load of unhappy Mancs crying into their beer!

Yes but they would be laughing over their beer if we get knocked out of Europe!!

Losing to United would not be the end of our title hopes but it certainly wouldn't help them.

Psychologically winning both games would be a massive boost and would finally confirm that we are now a force in the Premiership as well as Europe.

We do what we always do.  We take one game at a time, starting with a victory over Reading which is just as essential for our Premiership aspirations.  I'll take those three points to be going on with.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #10: Dec 03, 2007 11:13:41 pm
      Yes but they would be laughing over their beer if we get knocked out of Europe!!

Losing to United would not be the end of our title hopes but it certainly wouldn't help them.

Psychologically winning both games would be a massive boost and would finally confirm that we are now a force in the Premiership as well as Europe.

We do what we always do.  We take one game at a time, starting with a victory over Reading which is just as essential for our Premiership aspirations.  I'll take those three points to be going on with.

I agree with Oldred. It's high time we started consistintly beating opposition such as the Mancs, Chelski and the Arse, proving we're a force to be reckoned with in the Premiership, not just a 'cup-team', but defeat to Marsaille would be tough to take and mean the end to our European hopes. To be honest, with the Premiership race as close as it is, - looking like it's gonna be even more tight than last year - every single game is a major one, we can't afford to drop too many points, as the likes of Arsenal, Chelse and Manyoo won't too often (and if they do, we need to be winning in order to capitalise!).

In the end, Oldred is spot on: we take one game at a time, and get 3 points in as many as possible, and with the squad we have, plus some January additions, why can't we challenge for the Premiership and in Europe?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #11: Dec 03, 2007 11:21:26 pm
      The biggest game for me is clearly Moan urinals. The rivalry is obvious and doesn't need mentioning. To beat them would send a message out to others and our players themselves. The points gained could be crucial in us winning the league. Every game in the league is a big game and this one is one of the biggest.
      Of course, Marseille is also a big game. But we've got ourselves into position of which we control against a team that's currently 16th in their league. It's better to know you have to win than to play for a draw, to go through. We could have easily been out of the European Cup by now, but look how we've responded when we've known we have to win.

The mancs are a better team than Marseille. And the league is more important than any cup competition.
      bt7cadillac
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #12: Dec 03, 2007 11:23:54 pm
      It has to be ManUre. After last season's humiliations (Ferdinand goal at trafford, bulls**t O'Shea goal at kop end) we owe them. Can't wait to see Stevie and Torres scaring the life out of them!!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #13: Dec 03, 2007 11:40:08 pm
      I'm quietly confident that we'll win both these games, they are both going to be very difficult for different reasons, Liverpool know theyhave to go to Marseille and win, I think it will be awful if we don't go through, the competition won't be the same it were not in it, and financially we need to still be in it, and I think we will, can you imagine the stick we will take off the manure fans if we get knocked out.......doesn't bear thinking about :-[

Obviously a win against the scum is vitally important and the way we have been playing recently I think we'll win 2 -0, BUT it won't be the end of the world if we get a draw against them, I just don't want us to lose.

I so want us to still be in the Champions League come Christmas, a nice little win at Reading first though me thinks :laugh:

This question is on the official site.......More people want us to beat manure 1060........than Marseille 817 :-\
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #14: Dec 03, 2007 11:44:29 pm
      with the squad we have, plus some January additions, why can't we challenge for the Premiership and in Europe?

No reason whatsoever!!

Never mind who we prefer to beat - Man U or Marseille.  I prefer to beat everyone and the way we are playing and improving I don't see why we can't.  We are starting to look seriously good.

I started to take my son to the matches during the Roy Evans managership.  He thinks this is the best Liverpool team he has ever seen.  I can't argue with him.

Evening MsGerrard.  How are you?  Going to the Man U game?
      « Last Edit: Dec 03, 2007 11:47:58 pm by Oldred »
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #15: Dec 04, 2007 09:43:46 am
      Would have to be the  SCUM game, if we beat them it could really fire up our season in way like not other. I know its only 3 points in some senses but to beat them would really start to make the players believe and the fans believe also making us get behind them even more for each game.
      Bootle Buck
      • Forum David Johnson

• 233 posts | 30 
      Reply #16: Dec 04, 2007 09:58:45 am
      What a question.

It depends on what defeat to Marseilles would mean.

If it meant finishing 3rd and going into the UEFA Cup I'd rather than win the Marseilles game. No way I want to put up with all this Thursday night, playing Dynamo Luxembourg on Channel 5 sh*te. Meaning every league game ends up being on a Sunday as a result of playing Thursday. Every UEFA cup game would remind us of how sh*te we were in the Champs League.

Having said that defeat to Manure could put us a bit too far back in the title race. Although later that afternoon Chelsea could do us a favour and beat Arsenal. We are level on points (assuming the game in hand is won) with the Manure and 2 points ahead of Chelsea. So we can afford some blips as regards to keeping tabs on them 2. But the fact Arsenal are 6 points ahead I wouldn't fancy getting 9 points back off them.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #17: Dec 04, 2007 10:00:57 am
      No reason whatsoever!!

Never mind who we prefer to beat - Man U or Marseille.  I prefer to beat everyone and the way we are playing and improving I don't see why we can't.  We are starting to look seriously good.

I started to take my son to the matches during the Roy Evans managership.  He thinks this is the best Liverpool team he has ever seen.  I can't argue with him.

Evening MsGerrard.  How are you?  Going to the Man U game?

Sorry Oldred, I didn't see your comment last night........unfortunate ly I haven't got a ticket for the manure game, would love to go though...so if anyone's feeling generous, and would like to give me a ticket.......I would gladly accept ;) :lmao:

I'm feeling very well thankyou, and you?
      johnbarnesno1
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      Reply #18: Dec 04, 2007 10:12:11 am
      Don't rest anyone. Play your strongest team for both.
      If we were to win one and lose  the other I would pick to win the United game every time.
      I want the league this year!
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #19: Dec 04, 2007 04:48:12 pm
      Don't rest anyone. Play your strongest team for both.
      If we were to win one and lose  the other I would pick to win the United game every time.
      I want the league this year!

I somewhat disagree with playing the strongest team week in, week out. Due to fatigue and fitness, your supposed 'strongest team', might not be the same a month later, with players playing below their potential due to tiredness and not being fully fit.
      Darth Joe
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 846 posts | 31 
      Reply #20: Dec 04, 2007 08:31:46 pm
      But then, if given a choice, I'd rather have a victory against the scums even if it means being booted out of the CL.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #21: Dec 04, 2007 08:50:28 pm
      Has to be Man Utd....thats the bigger test....Marseille is a match that should take care of itself but United is far more important as a benchmark...
      Tallfc
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 477 posts |
      Reply #22: Dec 04, 2007 09:19:38 pm
      With depth of our squad, we should be definitely going for a win in both games and not asking for a win in one or the other.

Quick Reply