Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Marseille or United?

Read 2715 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Marsellie or Utd
      Reply #23: Dec 05, 2007 01:42:07 am
      Agreed Tallfc.
      This is the reason Rafa has got a large squad. To manage the task of busy schedules. I see a win in Marseille with the way the boys are playing (keep in mind, lets not get too carried away eh?) But a win against Man. Poo would dent their chances while dramatically boosting ours. See how much a derby win can do for team morale? Look at the Everton game for example. A win against Scum would lift us right up and damage their hopes. I wouldnt mind seeing that!
      But the money and prestige in the CL is too good to give away. We will be going into the matches looking to win and win we will!

YNWA

In Rafa we Trust!
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #24: Dec 05, 2007 05:51:03 am
      This is season we don't have to choose anymore...we've done all the hard work as far as dragging ourselves back into contention for second round CL qualification. To throw away such a resurgent comeback would be criminal, not to mention the much needed revenue which would go by the wayside.

The tussle at the top of the league is going to be a closely fought affair, and the difference could be made when the top four play each other. A win against Manure, at home especially, could prove crucial. We wouldn't want to go to their ground needing to win to stay within touching distance...that's why we must beat them at Anfield.

They are both critical games at critical times in the season. The pace at the top is relentless, the top teams simply aren't losing (except for Manure hahaha) and we can't afford to fall behind. We can win both games and we will...the confidence is flowing and so are the goals. I can't wait for those games, it will really be a test for us to see just how far we've come since the draw that shouldn't have been (vs Chelski).

Bring 'em on I say...
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #25: Dec 05, 2007 12:21:37 pm
      both really are just as important as each other but to be honest i dont want manure to get any more confidence over us than they already have, i cant see them winning the champions league either, so yeah im edging more towards the manure game.
      The_Kop_4_Life2005
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 25 posts | -1 
      Reply #26: Dec 06, 2007 02:47:49 pm
      both games are very important because we must qualify for the knock out stages of the champions league other wise the bloody yanks would probs go and get rid of Rafa and that would be catastrophic as we would then lose all our Spanish players plus players like agger etc and the champions league just wouldn't be the same without the mighty reds in it, we probably produce most of the best matches, olympiakos, juventus, Chelsea, Milan etc. the game against untied is the most vital of the league season so far because if we fail to win then thats us effectively out of the title race, we win then we go 4 points behind arsenal providing Chelsea win and then win our game in hand and go 2nd 1 point behind arsenal and if we carry on playing the way we have been then i think we will beat united. LFC FOR THE LEAGUE AND CHAMPIONS LEAGUE!!!
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #27: Dec 06, 2007 03:10:47 pm
      For me its the manure game every time.Three points and a win over another "big four" side would build up the confidence and momentum even more and use it as a springboard for the xmas/new year period.

Realisticaly I honestly feel we're going to dispatch marseille quite easily and I can see us winning 2-0/2-1 over the mancs.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #28: Dec 06, 2007 04:01:01 pm
      Both please.

But obviously out of the two it would be Man Utd.
      benforrest
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts | -8 
      Reply #29: Dec 06, 2007 08:29:57 pm
      Have to say we need to beat Man utd more (we can beat Marseille though), simply because Marseille, if we beat them, we are in a competition which we have lesser chance of winning, where if we beat Man utd we get alot more pride and we get a boost in points, which will put us 2nd and only 4 points behind Arsenal. If we still lose to Marseille then we could go into UEFA Cup and we could win that, i'd rather win the Cup than lose in the final of the Champions league, because we have another cup in our cabinet
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #30: Dec 06, 2007 09:04:16 pm
      Sorry, but much as a win against Utd would usually mean a lot more to me, one game involves us being knocked out of a competition and one doesn't. I don't see any reason why we can't beat them both but given the choice of one or the other I'd have to choose a who against Marseille.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #31: Dec 06, 2007 09:06:31 pm
      Sorry I meant a win against Marseille, not a who, bloody predictive text on my phone!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #32: Dec 06, 2007 10:02:17 pm
      Sorry, but much as a win against Utd would usually mean a lot more to me, one game involves us being knocked out of a competition and one doesn't. I don't see any reason why we can't beat them both but given the choice of one or the other I'd have to choose a who against Marseille.

I'm with you on this one Eddie.
      The Champions League without Liverpool in it is like having Christmas with no pressies :(

We will win them both though........I'm confident.

It's not the end of the world if we don't beat manure, I know it would be a terrible knock - back but it's only one game.
      whereas this game against Marseille is a must win game so I'm with Eddie :)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #33: Dec 06, 2007 10:55:48 pm
      Get that broadband sorted Eddie  ;)

I honestly believe the game against the scum is a bigger game though. And it's generally down to footballing reasons. The league is usually won or lost on points gained or given away against teams who are up there challenging for the title. Of course, points will be dropped against teams who are not in the title race, by all who are. But it's not going to happen often. And we have our best start in the league under Benitez and we are well equipped to carry it on all the way to the last day of the season.

Gaining maximum points from the mancs is very important. Not just because we'd be gaining ground on them but because we'll be gaining ground on Arsenal - who I believe wont drop all that many points this season. Basically, I know it's far off from the end of the season but every point gained now is very valuable.

This doesn't mean to say I dismiss the game against Marsellie though. Of course it's a big game. But if the worst comes to the worst, which I hope and believe it wont, I'm confident that we will have a better go at the European Cup next season. Because with the way we are going in the league, we'll certainly qualify. We might not even have to play any qualifiers!!

I look at the quality in both teams and the mancs are better than Marsellie. The competition with in which we play, the league becomes before any cup competition. And I can wait another year for the European Cup but it hurts to wait another year for the league. That's why the manc game is bigger than the Marsellie game for me.
      oldbill1894
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #34: Dec 06, 2007 11:55:44 pm
      Marseille game is just as important as the United game........ As they are both are just as important as the bolton game and the newcastle game, the reading game the blackburn game etc. I think evey point is just as important..... No point in beating United if we were to follow it up with 2 points lost in a draw to a "lesser" team....
      Thats my opinion anyway
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #35: Dec 06, 2007 11:59:01 pm
      Agree with Kenny on this one.

Although I feel we will win both games if I had to choose one it would be the game against Man Utd. For me this game along with the derby are the games I look forward to each season and particularly this season when we have started so well I don't want to lose any ground on the other top teams.

I would hate to go out of the European Cup as I love the competition, but I just have to think how badly I would feel if we got beat in either game and I know for sure that I would feel a lot worse losing to Man Utd than Marseille.

But as I said I am confident on winning both games so am looking forward to a good week!!
      S-A-M-U-E-L-T
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 51 posts | -13 
      • LIVERPOOL!
      Re: Marseille or United?
      Reply #36: Dec 08, 2007 10:20:15 am
      I would like to beat both of them because they both are crucial for our season next year and this year. come on reds we can do it!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Marseille or United?
      Reply #37: Dec 08, 2007 10:29:30 am
      Torres looks to be playing today and these 2 matches according to Rafa on the offal website. No doubt he'll be taken off in the second half though if he plays today.

Quick Reply