Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Spurs?

Alisson Becker
      1 (1.5%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      7 (10.8%)
      Ibrahima Konaté
      1 (1.5%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      1 (1.5%)
      Harvey Elliott
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      8 (12.3%)
      Luis Diaz
      6 (9.2%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (1.5%)
      Cody Gakpo
      10 (15.4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      29 (44.6%)
      Darwin Núñez
      1 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Voting closed: May 04, 2023 06:26:04 pm

Liverpool 4-3 Tottenham Hotspur: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 10908 times
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Re: Liverpool 4-3 Tottenham Hotspur: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #391: Apr 30, 2023 09:30:46 pm
      I'm.as bias as they come, but if you put your "head in" over 5ft off the ground you don't expect to get studs in the head..... red card all day

What if a player can easily reach a ball at over 5ft with his foot? Doesn't he have the right to do that? Surely it is safer to use your foot than risk a head collision? Jota won the ball, what's the problem? His opponent chose to use his head.

Now the challenge on Diaz was 100% a red card. I am not overly familiar with the laws of the game but i thought that if you went heavy into a challenge with studs showing and hurt your opponent while completely missing the ball then it was a straight red? Maybe the rules have changed recently.

Either way, the standard of officiating is at an all time low in the Premier League. VAR has been a disaster, it is so murky, no transparency at all.

sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #392: Apr 30, 2023 09:36:56 pm
      Complacency has been our single biggest problem this season in my opinion. Fatigue is in there as well, but complacency is bigger. Our sh*t results away to weaker teams show it, and a performance like today shows it. We thought the game was won and just started coasting. The defensive side of our game has just got so lazy and unfocused. Had Jota not slotted that winner we'd all have been going ballistic on here. But he did, and it could be a big result for our season. MOTM  for me for that finish, although Diaz and Jones' finishes were top notch as well.

Thought Trent and Gakpo played well n all. The defence apart from Trent were very dodgy, especially Robbo, who had a shocker. Midfield were mixed but weren't really the main problem defensively.

Entertaining game, and a good result, so not pissed off really, as it's not as if we learned anything we didn't already know re the defensive complacency.

Paul Tierney should not be refereeing top flight football.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #393: Apr 30, 2023 09:37:59 pm
      VVD is disaster every single game gifting the other teams goals. If he doesn't improve next season, we need to move on.

His goal line clearance was superb - goal did he “gift”
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #394: Apr 30, 2023 09:38:04 pm
      VVD is disaster every single game gifting the other teams goals. If he doesn't improve next season, we need to move on.

Wow. I'm not on here often but when i am your posts always seem to be extremely negative. I get where you are coming from but just try and enjoy the good moments when they happen. We left Anfield with three points, the Spuds left with nothing.

Happiness for the moment, let's enjoy it.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #395: Apr 30, 2023 10:24:22 pm
      Wow. I'm not on here often but when i am your posts always seem to be extremely negative. I get where you are coming from but just try and enjoy the good moments when they happen. We left Anfield with three points, the Spuds left with nothing.

Yes. Three/four weeks ago we were struggling to get top 6 now were on the up and up. We battered them in the first 30 or so. Yes we dropped off but credit to them and Son can damage any defense.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #396: Apr 30, 2023 10:43:14 pm
      Game summed up our season. So inconsistent, absolutely smashed them for first 30 minutes then out our foot off the gas and completely lost it. We can’t control games anymore. Appreciate what Fab, Hendo and Milner have done for us over the years, but none of them should be near the starting 11 next season. VVDs fall from grace is a huge concern, we need another CB in the summer; no one in this squad should be nailed on starter week on week. Delighted we got 3 points, Jota’s perfectly timed goal glut might allow us to rescue something out of the season after all. Also another shout to Jones, completely proving me wrong with the last couple of performances.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #397: Apr 30, 2023 10:48:07 pm
      Thought Konate was our best defender by far but does anyone else feel like he’s always one rash tackle away from a penalty or a red card or is that just great timing on his part?

I really thought Richarlson played him like a fiddle today in the box and I’m actually surprised that Tierney didn’t award a penalty even though it was clearly embellished. Still Konate was awful handsy with him in the box.
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,557 posts | 135 
      Reply #398: Apr 30, 2023 11:02:26 pm

Spurs have the worst defense and got battered 6-1 in their last away game. I'm sorry if I'm not happy about my team nearly throwing a 3-0 to a shitty Spurs team.

Our team cannot defend for sh*t and it's really worrying this season that we can't control games at all. This was the same scenario as Real Madrid and we got super lucky that Jota is fit and he can finish.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #399: Apr 30, 2023 11:43:50 pm
      Wonderful to be 3-0 up so early. Unfortunately that sometimes leads to complacency, and that's what happened here. When you have a team on the ropes, put them away, not pass the ball around in your own half. But at least when we really had to go and win it all over again, we managed to do so.

Now we have momentum, hopefully we'll wrap up a European spot over the next week.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #400: May 01, 2023 12:53:33 am
      Only caught the highlights but kept refreshing the scoreline on my phone during the game. When it read 3-2, the text updates looked sh*te for us but refreshed it again and it said 4-3 😂 Nobody seriously thought at 3-0 we were going to cruise to victory. We are a mixed up, muddled up jumble of sh*te and brilliance.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #401: May 01, 2023 01:22:05 am
      All the goals seemingly came down that left side. We need to stop pussyfooting and either play 3-4-3 and defend like a 3-4-3 or go back to a back 4.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #402: May 01, 2023 01:57:43 am
      How the F**k can you support FSG after a statement like that??
      Your only recourse is blame somebody or something else!

No idea what you're on about now
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #403: May 01, 2023 02:59:42 am
      F***ing get in there!!!

Thought we fu**ed it totally after breezing into a rapid 3 goal lead.

Was shattered when that c**t equalized, was shattered that his first goal had to come against us, but in the back of my mind, I said there was still time and up pops Jota with a clinical finish.

Get the F**k innnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn n 4 on the bounce. 5 to go!!!

F**k u Spurs!! You Bunch of cu*ts!!!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #404: May 01, 2023 04:46:15 am
      What a rollercoaster of a match.

Gakpo was brilliant and he's improving in his role with so many go run behind the defence.

I gave Motm to Jota for his cool head and what a shot.

We need to cement our place for the 5th position.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,609 posts | 365 
      Reply #405: May 01, 2023 10:12:42 am
      Thought Konate was our best defender by far but does anyone else feel like he’s always one rash tackle away from a penalty or a red card or is that just great timing on his part?

I really thought Richarlson played him like a fiddle today in the box and I’m actually surprised that Tierney didn’t award a penalty even though it was clearly embellished. Still Konate was awful handsy with him in the box.

Yep if the ref saw fit to give it there could have been no complaints. Was one of those where VAR would not have over turned it either way and it was down to the on field decision. Some refs would have given that.

Runs the risk the lad. Lots of potential, lots of upside to his game but he can be susceptible to rash moments in games.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #406: May 01, 2023 10:15:06 am
      No idea what you're on about now

The anomalies you describe are all products of FSG false economies!

Told you before Si you really should invest in a basic dictionary.

Yep if the ref saw fit to give it there could have been no complaints. Was one of those where VAR would not have over turned it either way and it was down to the on field decision. Some refs would have given that.

Runs the risk the lad. Lots of potential, lots of upside to his game but he can be susceptible to rash moments in games.

Konate can be over enthusiastic and too physical in his tackles, the same could  be said  of Fabinho. Both players would be sorely missed if they saw red.
      « Last Edit: May 01, 2023 10:24:10 am by stuey »
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,557 posts | 135 
      Reply #407: May 01, 2023 10:26:54 am
      His goal line clearance was superb - goal did he “gift”

He seems to be nervous and he has lost pace.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #408: May 01, 2023 10:46:31 am
      Defensively we were poor. What was annoying was the way we handled Son. For his goal he was looking for the through ball several times. Can clearly see him priming himself 2/3 times with his body posture and when it came, the gap was there..Trent was flat footed and made no attempt to go with Son. He got 3 yards on Konate straight away.

We have to be tighter on runners like Son and stay on our toes. Every manager is onto the 'inverted' full back and our high line is an invitation to counter with the through ball or the ball over the top. It's the achilles heal of the 'inverted' full back.

It'll be an issue for the rest of the season.
      « Last Edit: May 01, 2023 10:56:11 am by Harrisimo »
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #409: May 01, 2023 10:55:19 am
      Other aspect of the 'inverted' full back is that it allows a mid player to play down the right with Mo. Hendo did it but Elliott took his place yesterday. He did well but then Hendo came on, it's obvious this isn't Hendo's game. Recruitment wise we need a right sided natural attacking midfielder to complement Mo and others.

Meantime I'd stick with Elliott. Did well enough to get another go.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #410: May 01, 2023 10:57:25 am
      That was too easy in 1st half, we got bored and let them back into it. Glad we ended up getting last minute winner.

Cheers jota.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #411: May 01, 2023 10:58:12 am
      Awesome having Diaz and jota back.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #412: May 01, 2023 12:17:11 pm
      That was too easy in 1st half, we got bored and let them back into it. Glad we ended up getting last minute winner.

Cheers jota.

Part of the script. If we had them so easily, we’d not need any reinforcements - because “hell you can cope! Why would you need a budget for reinforcements?”
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #413: May 01, 2023 12:28:57 pm
      That's your opinion Keith. So fair enough. Mine is that he went with his foot to win the ball and won it clean. If we are sending players off for that then we may as well pack in.

Now if he goes in wild and Wreckless and out of control and kicks him in the head that's different.

Jota got the ball and the lad basically got there 2nd and therefore headed his studs. We can debate if thats a foul or not ... but a straight red card? Come on.

As your is too Don, opinions. It will be interesting on ref watch tomorrow as I do enjoy watching the so called rules expert from Dermot Gallagher. 😂

Also guilty on ref watch. 😂

Quick Reply