Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

The Three Graces, Fab Four or Fiveways? (next season's front line)

Read 1208 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      The Three Graces, Fab Four or Fiveways? (next season's front line)
      May 02, 2023 05:18:28 pm
      For those not familiar with Paradise, I apologise if the title is a little difficult to understand - but that's your own fault for not knowing my hometown of Liverpool.

As for the point of it, in typical fashion I'll make a long winded post that goes round the houses and evenutally somewhere along the lines make the point I'm trying to.

All season long we've been hammering our defence and our midfield and quite rightly so. The front line has also had it's share of criticism. And that's what this is about, the front line and how we use it next season. Because since Jürgen has been here, we've had a reasonably successful forward line. And other than those six months or so where we had the opportunity to play Salah, Mane, Firmino and Coutinho (though injuries prevented it for a while) we've always went with the front three.

And that's worked because we've had three nailed on starters with others happy to sit on the bench (or injury table) and play a bit part to the team. Some of those bit parts may of been more memorable than others but it's still only been the odd cameo appearance here and there. Players like Sturridge, Origi, Miniamino and Shaqiri were all there just to play back up to the famed front three we had.

Next season though, we're going to have, at least, five players in the forward line who all think they should be starting. And all could probably make a case for it if we're honest. There's also the possibility that we're not going to be as successful next season as we have been recently, which makes sitting on the bench a lot harder for players. Nobody moans when the team is winning but when a team is having teething problems then suddenly behind the scenes problems become public knowledge. I'd just like to point out here that I think Jürgen has done a wonderful job in that respect this season because I'm sure there must have been some murmurs of discontent within the dressing room earlier on in the year but nothing has really come out.

But back to the front line, how do we see it going into the 23-24 season?

Do we stick with the tried and tested Three Graces that has served us so well and just pick whatever three Jürgen decides upon the day? The biggest drawback here for me is while it worked with Mo, Sadio and Bob, is the personel we have now. Diaz is by far and away our best option on the left wing but I don't think he'll get the numbers Mane did, which means we'll need a bit more from the central forward than what we got from Bobby. And for me Jota is our best centre forward but the way we want to play with three up top is with Gakpo dropping deep.

Which maybe gives us the option of changing slightly and playing the Fab Four up top and just rotating the five of them as the season goes on. (or at least four of them, Salah will play no matter what). And if we're going to persist with Trent playing as a make shift central midfielder, it may free up a space in the team to add an extra attacker in. Salah and Diaz on either wing, Jota through the midde and Gakpo dropping in to link the play with Nunez swapping in when needed.

And if Nunez isn't happy just being a when needed type player then we could get all out attack with the Fiveways. Cut our losses defensively and admit we're F***ing shocking at that side of the game, so let's throw all five on when we can and just play with the mentality of we'll outscore our opponents. Big man little man partnership up top of Nunez and Jota, Salah and Diaz not changing much from how we play anyway and Gakpo maybe dropping even further back into a more traditional central midfield position but with his emphasis being on the attacking game while his partner in there focuses on protecting the two centre halves.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Re: The Three Graces, Fab Four or Fiveways? (next season's front line)
      Reply #1: May 02, 2023 08:28:52 pm
      I will say with the way we play 3 at the top now it's nice being able to have guys on the bench to come on (when they aren't injured) that can change game or give a much needed rest (rotation).

Like you said, Salah is always going to be penciled in on the right. When Jota is playing like he is now, he needs to be on the pitch and I submit that Gakpo is a pretty important player right now. So you could just keep the 3 line and sub in or rotate Nunez and Diaz to keep everyone fresh. Or if we are going against a team where more firepower is needed...we play with 4 attacking players allowing Cody to drop a little deeper ala Bobby.

But boy...5 attackers sure sounds like a lot of fun as well :D
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #2: May 04, 2023 01:05:15 pm
      Whatever happens, its the start of a new era, that is gonna be class once they all have settled properly.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #3: May 07, 2023 03:54:08 pm
      Quote from dunlop liddell shankly
      For those not familiar with Paradise, I apologise if the title is a little difficult to understand - but that's your own fault for not knowing my hometown of Liverpool.

As for the point of it, in typical fashion I'll make a long winded post that goes round the houses and evenutally somewhere along the lines make the point I'm trying to.

All season long we've been hammering our defence and our midfield and quite rightly so. The front line has also had it's share of criticism. And that's what this is about, the front line and how we use it next season. Because since Jürgen has been here, we've had a reasonably successful forward line. And other than those six months or so where we had the opportunity to play Salah, Mane, Firmino and Coutinho (though injuries prevented it for a while) we've always went with the front three.

And that's worked because we've had three nailed on starters with others happy to sit on the bench (or injury table) and play a bit part to the team. Some of those bit parts may of been more memorable than others but it's still only been the odd cameo appearance here and there. Players like Sturridge, Origi, Miniamino and Shaqiri were all there just to play back up to the famed front three we had.

Next season though, we're going to have, at least, five players in the forward line who all think they should be starting. And all could probably make a case for it if we're honest. There's also the possibility that we're not going to be as successful next season as we have been recently, which makes sitting on the bench a lot harder for players. Nobody moans when the team is winning but when a team is having teething problems then suddenly behind the scenes problems become public knowledge. I'd just like to point out here that I think Jürgen has done a wonderful job in that respect this season because I'm sure there must have been some murmurs of discontent within the dressing room earlier on in the year but nothing has really come out.

But back to the front line, how do we see it going into the 23-24 season?

Do we stick with the tried and tested Three Graces that has served us so well and just pick whatever three Jürgen decides upon the day? The biggest drawback here for me is while it worked with Mo, Sadio and Bob, is the personel we have now. Diaz is by far and away our best option on the left wing but I don't think he'll get the numbers Mane did, which means we'll need a bit more from the central forward than what we got from Bobby. And for me Jota is our best centre forward but the way we want to play with three up top is with Gakpo dropping deep.

Which maybe gives us the option of changing slightly and playing the Fab Four up top and just rotating the five of them as the season goes on. (or at least four of them, Salah will play no matter what). And if we're going to persist with Trent playing as a make shift central midfielder, it may free up a space in the team to add an extra attacker in. Salah and Diaz on either wing, Jota through the midde and Gakpo dropping in to link the play with Nunez swapping in when needed.

And if Nunez isn't happy just being a when needed type player then we could get all out attack with the Fiveways. Cut our losses defensively and admit we're F***ing shocking at that side of the game, so let's throw all five on when we can and just play with the mentality of we'll outscore our opponents. Big man little man partnership up top of Nunez and Jota, Salah and Diaz not changing much from how we play anyway and Gakpo maybe dropping even further back into a more traditional central midfield position but with his emphasis being on the attacking game while his partner in there focuses on protecting the two centre halves.

All of the above is conditional on us finishing in the top 4. If that's not the case, all of the star players will want to clear off and play for a club in another league who did finish the season in the top 4. When we didn't qualify in 2010, Torres quit. When we didn't in 2015, Sterling quit. The idea that we finish outside it and just continue next year as if nothing had happened, is unrealistic.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #4: May 07, 2023 04:22:42 pm
      All of the above is conditional on us finishing in the top 4.

It really isn't because we finished outside the top four in 15/16 yet managed to keep hold of players like Coutinho, Firmino, Sturridge, Clyne. So finishing inside the top four isn't the be all and end all. Especially nowadays when our players aren't going to get much better deals elsewhere like they once would of.

If that's not the case, all of the star players will want to clear off and play for a club in another league who did finish the season in the top 4.

Well as my argument always is to that pathetic argument then they can F**k off anyway. You play for this club because it's an honour to play for the biggest club in the world, not because we happen to just be one of 32 teams in the European Cup. If that's all players want then they can go to Celtic but surprisingly because Celtic can't pay them the sort of money clubs this side of the border can, they don't go there do they?

So all our star players will go where they're paid handsomely. And given the financial issues surrounding a number of the big names in European football will make it much harder for them to afford our players fees and wages.

When we didn't qualify in 2010, Torres quit.

Torres was sold on the final day of the transfer window in 2011. It wasn't a case of we failed to qualify and the next day he left, he stuck with it for another six months and the club still held out until we got a record fee. He put up with the Hodgson debacle and may well of stayed longer if the previous set of yanks didn't bring that tit to our club in the first place.

And his Chelsea career was nowhere near as good as his Liverpool one, so maybe people shouldn't be so quick to jump ship.

And since he left we've won the European Cup - he hasn't. Maybe people shouldn't be so quick to jump ship. (common theme isn't it)

Also players leave whether we're in the European Cup or not, look at Sadio Mane. Look at Sterling himself who left City, despite them winning the League to join Chelsea. Players leave, regardless of being in the European Cup or not.

The idea that we finish outside it and just continue next year as if nothing had happened, is unrealistic.

It won't be as if nothing has happened because we're already setting up to have a clear out. So we'll be adapting anyway. And we may end up letting another attacker go in the summer as well as Bobby but it'll be because a decent enough sized bid comes and and Jürgen is happy with the deal not because we happen to come fifth.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #5: May 09, 2023 06:01:59 pm
      I've always thought that the goal should be to get your best players on the pitch in a formation and tactical approach that allows them to flourish.  I think Trent shifting to CM will be part of that plan, and he will be a deep lying midfield creator -- similar to the way Pirlo or Alonso played that role. 

In that same vein, I think we should be looking at getting Jota, Mo, Diaz, and Gakpo as many minutes as possible.  If Nunez can develop ad refine his game a bit, then he'll be in consideration, but for me he's the odd man out at the moment. 

So, we either need a new RB so we can play a 4-2-1-3

Ali
      New RB -- Konate -- VVD -- Robbo
      Trent -- New CM
      Gakpo
      Mo -- Jota -- Lucho

Or we need to pivot to a 3-4-3

Konate -- VVD -- Robbo
      New RM -- TAA -- New CM -- Lucho
      Mo -- Jota -- Gakpo

Either way, we need a new RB/RM and CM to come into the starting 11 plus another CB to jump ahead of Gomez and Matip in the pecking order. 
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #6: May 09, 2023 07:00:54 pm
      I think it is realistic to at least consider the idea of Nunez moving on. Whatever the particulars of his recruitment, he has yet to develop a high ability I'm the press. Gakpo has surpassed him in this, and now that Diaz is match-fit again, I don't see where Darwin regularly starts unless he really improves in that area. It makes for a strong.option off the bench, but that is a lot of money to invest in a backup player. I don't think he wants that long-term, either.

There's still time for him to turn that around, but I don't think the current situation is one Jürgen or ownership will want to let linger. Darwin has a lot of important.attributes, but Jürgen has been clear that forwards need to be good at pressing, and so far, Darwin really isn't
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #7: May 09, 2023 09:24:58 pm
      I think it is realistic to at least consider the idea of Nunez moving on. Whatever the particulars of his recruitment, he has yet to develop a high ability I'm the press. Gakpo has surpassed him in this, and now that Diaz is match-fit again, I don't see where Darwin regularly starts unless he really improves in that area. It makes for a strong.option off the bench, but that is a lot of money to invest in a backup player. I don't think he wants that long-term, either.

There's still time for him to turn that around, but I don't think the current situation is one Jürgen or ownership will want to let linger. Darwin has a lot of important.attributes, but Jürgen has been clear that forwards need to be good at pressing, and so far, Darwin really isn't

I like him, Robby. I think he’s got a season’s grace period to show what he can do consistently. He’s young and looks short of confidence but hopefully a goal will change that.
      Plus, the subs bench is crucial now, and he’s capable of huge impact with his pace, height and unpredictability. Back-up players are no longer just back-up; they’re a vital part of the game plan.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #8: May 09, 2023 09:27:59 pm
      I've always thought that the goal should be to get your best players on the pitch in a formation and tactical approach that allows them to flourish.  I think Trent shifting to CM will be part of that plan, and he will be a deep lying midfield creator -- similar to the way Pirlo or Alonso played that role. 

In that same vein, I think we should be looking at getting Jota, Mo, Diaz, and Gakpo as many minutes as possible.  If Nunez can develop ad refine his game a bit, then he'll be in consideration, but for me he's the odd man out at the moment. 

So, we either need a new RB so we can play a 4-2-1-3

Ali
      New RB -- Konate -- VVD -- Robbo
      Trent -- New CM
      Gakpo
      Mo -- Jota -- Lucho

Or we need to pivot to a 3-4-3

Konate -- VVD -- Robbo
      New RM -- TAA -- New CM -- Lucho
      Mo -- Jota -- Gakpo

Either way, we need a new RB/RM and CM to come into the starting 11 plus another CB to jump ahead of Gomez and Matip in the pecking order.

I reckon we need a LB too, mate, or at least a LB who is an effective LCB  as needed. Robbo needs a better understudy than Tsimikas.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #9: May 10, 2023 08:20:58 am
      So many options now up front.

If we get back to being more solid defensively we are gonna be dyno again.
      Hawkes
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #10: May 10, 2023 04:11:43 pm
      IF all five attacking players in question are here next season, I enjoy Gakpo dropping into that pseudo-#10 role behind the front three. Salah is a given on the right, and with Lucho on the left I see Jota as first choice down the middle with Darwin as backup.

On the subject of Darwin, I think he deserves a chance to let his potential catch up with his performances this season. A lot of the sh*t he's gotten for his "misses" were from big one-touch strikes on the run. That's a difficult skill to master and one I'd argue is rare even amongst #9s in the prem. Give him time, see if he improves. He is young, fast, and a decent threat. He just needs that little extra push in his finishing to bring him from good to great.

Quick Reply