Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Summer 2022 v Summer 2023

Read 5163 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Summer 2022 v Summer 2023
      May 29, 2023 10:41:47 am
      Summer 2022:
      Nunez, Carvalho, Ramsay and Arthur.
      One that doesn't fit the system.
      One for the future that might be gone in the summer.
      And two that were permanently injured.

Has to be the worst transfer window of the Klopp era.
      Wasted a dominant team that went down to the last games chasing the Quadruple in 21/22.
      Failed miserably to build on what was there despite the record Champions League income. (100M)

Ultimately reaped what we sowed.
      Didn't invest properly in a midfielder and lost out on the Champions League as a result.
      Losing out because the club penny pinches.
      Klopp has saved the owners a fortune and they haven't repaid him.

As a bare minimum this season the club needs to react strongly and invest in the spine of the team.
      2 midfielders ready to play in the First XI and one centre back of the same grade is a minimum requirement.
      No loan signings that are injured. No players that don't actually suit what Klopp wants.

Szoboszlai
      Mac Allister
      Ugarte
      Jurrien Timber
      Gundogan/Rabiot
      Matt Doherty

That's the type of business the club should be looking at.
      3 players that immediately fight for a starting position and 2 or 3 senior free transfers.
      The 3 fee signings compete for the next 6-8 years while the 2 frees bring needed experience.
      5 signings to push on and win the Europa League and start the Klopp 2.0 era at Liverpool.
      « Last Edit: May 29, 2023 12:57:54 pm by racerx34 »
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Re: Summer 2022 v Summer 2023
      Reply #1: May 29, 2023 11:31:38 am
      Matt Doherty  :lmao:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2: May 29, 2023 11:55:47 am

We got one!

Just throwing in 3 free transfers to show there is business out there to be done.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #3: May 29, 2023 12:05:10 pm
      I’m also a free agent. Did my ACL the last time I played so been out for 10 months or so now but I reckon I’m still better than Doherty with one knee.

Grim this though. Going from nearly winning the lot to limping to 5th and being linked with sh*te.

Hope the club pulls some deals out their arse that nobody saw coming. Fabinho, Jota, Thiago etc.

Stay away from paying 70m for F***ing Macallister.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,163 posts | 717 
      Reply #4: May 29, 2023 12:13:26 pm
      Personally...I haven't seen one name come up that we're linked with....(other than the obvious Madrid bound) that excites.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #5: May 29, 2023 12:19:13 pm
      Personally...I haven't seen one name come up that we're linked with....(other than the obvious Madrid bound) that excites.

Do people still think we’re going to sign mbappe because his ma likes us or that we’re going to get Bellingham?

We’re getting Matt Doherty and Carlton Cole.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 1077 
      Reply #6: May 29, 2023 02:46:07 pm
      I’m also a free agent. Did my ACL the last time I played so been out for 10 months or so now but I reckon I’m still better than Doherty with one knee.

Grim this though. Going from nearly winning the lot to limping to 5th and being linked with sh*te.

Hope the club pulls some deals out their arse that nobody saw coming. Fabinho, Jota, Thiago etc.

Stay away from paying 70m for f**king Macallister.
      Jota? Wtf? Come on dude.....
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Reply #7: May 29, 2023 02:55:10 pm
      Ah, yes. Revisionist history.

When we signed Nunez there was overwhelming excitement about the transfer. He and Diaz were the building blocks of the next great Klopp team (as Racer told us back then), and now it was suddenly the worst summer in Klopp’s era.

PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,725 posts | 847 
      Reply #8: May 29, 2023 03:36:45 pm
      How is Nunez permanently injured? He missed a grand total of 8 games out 52 fixtures the club participated in this season.

Edit:

just to further drive home my point. Mane, who a lot of people on this forum now consider to be the main or a big reason to why we had a bad season (its funny when people can't get it right even with the hindsight glasses on) missed 9 games in the 19/20 season for us. Was he considered to be permanently injured too or how does that work?

Like CT said, this thing where we come back a year later and act like it was all so obvious is just ridiculous. We played Benfica in the CL last year and right after the first game, the same people who now call him a flop and act like they knew all along kept praising him and repeatedly demanded we go for him and when it was clear that we were going for him, the same people were ecstatic. Now he's apparently a flop, we should sell him and buy another 80+m forward who will, no doubt, also become a flop if he doesn't match Haaland scoring record by December. It's just exhausting some of the stuff you read on here.
      « Last Edit: May 29, 2023 03:44:32 pm by PolarBearRed »
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,253 posts | 2800 
      Reply #9: May 29, 2023 03:56:15 pm
      Last summer was bizarre in all honesty. Splashing out 60m odd on a player so far away from being the finished article just didn't make sense. When you lose someone as important as Mane your replacement has to be closer to being the real deal than Nunez has been. I'm not saying he's definitely going to flop but I think at the time there were smarter options.

Carvalho of course was just a money ball signing. Ramsay fair enough has been injured and less said about Arthur the better.

This summer just has to be so much better because you know the four teams above us will go very hard in the market as well.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #10: May 29, 2023 04:12:13 pm
      How is Nunez permanently injured? He missed a grand total of 8 games out 52 fixtures the club participated in this season.

Edit:

just to further drive home my point. Mane, who a lot of people on this forum now consider to be the main or a big reason to why we had a bad season (its funny when people can't get it right even with the hindsight glasses on) missed 9 games in the 19/20 season for us. Was he considered to be permanently injured too or how does that work?

Like CT said, this thing where we come back a year later and act like it was all so obvious is just ridiculous. We played Benfica in the CL last year and right after the first game, the same people who now call him a flop and act like they knew all along kept praising him and repeatedly demanded we go for him and when it was clear that we were going for him, the same people were ecstatic. Now he's apparently a flop, we should sell him and buy another 80+m forward who will, no doubt, also become a flop if he doesn't match Haaland scoring record by December. It's just exhausting some of the stuff you read on here.

We're allowed look back at things with the benefit of hindsight. Are you suggesting we should all just bury our heads in the sand?

Edit:

Ramsey and Arthur were the injured signings I was referring to.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,725 posts | 847 
      Reply #11: May 29, 2023 07:14:33 pm
      We're allowed look back at things with the benefit of hindsight. Are you suggesting we should all just bury our heads in the sand?

So I assume, Nunez is the one that doesn't fit the system? That's something that really doesn't need to wait until hindsight to say if that's the case yet nobody on that board (at least I don't remember anybody) said so, quite the opposite.

You're allowed to do and say whatever you want. However, its just tiring to see people unhappy no matter what and no matter what area of the team we're talking. If we don't sign Nunez then we missed on one of the best prospects in Europe. If we do sign him and he doesn't score a plethora of goals on his first season then we are sh*te for signing him. I'm pretty sure had Gakpo signed for United and had similar if not worse performances than the ones he did for us, we'd have people saying we missed out on such a good deal yet 3 weeks after he had signed for us people were saying we got robbed and that we were stupid for signing him. Its just all too easy. And I'm not saying we had a good transfer window. The club is definitely to be criticized for the sh*t show that is our midfield and they will be even more if this summer doesn't fix things and same for the backline.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,189 posts | 6346 
      Reply #12: May 29, 2023 07:24:15 pm
      I think it’s fair to look back and ask the question “did the signings we made make us a better overall team?” 

This year I think the answer is a resounding no. Having taken into account who we lost and who we gained, we weren’t a better team this year. If people want to argue that we were, well, you will look a fool.

So the signings that are made this summer HAVE to make this team better upon arrival.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Reply #13: May 30, 2023 01:16:13 am

Or we can give a player more than 15 minutes before judging him. Nunez is barely 24, in a new country, new culture, new team coming off a season where everyone had a poor year, including the coach.
      « Last Edit: May 30, 2023 01:46:41 am by CT_LFC »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #14: May 30, 2023 02:25:24 pm
      Or we can give a player more than 15 minutes before judging him. Nunez is barely 24, in a new country, new culture, new team coming off a season where everyone had a poor year, including the coach.

I'd be delighted if Nunez clicks next season.
      Thing is, with our 4-3-3 the front three is more likely to be Diaz, Gakpo, Salah.
      I'm not putting any blame on Nunez.
      If we can play a 4-2-3-1 more often then he 100% starts up front in the 9 role.
      Maybe that happens if/when Mac Allister arrives.

Believe me if we vary between those two formations and Nunez is able to show his true self
      I'll be delighted. So will everyone else.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,189 posts | 6346 
      Reply #15: May 30, 2023 02:49:42 pm
      I'd be delighted if Nunez clicks next season.
      Thing is, with our 4-3-3 the front three is more likely to be Diaz, Gakpo, Salah.
      I'm not putting any blame on Nunez.
      If we can play a 4-2-3-1 more often then he 100% starts up front in the 9 role.
      Maybe that happens if/when Mac Allister arrives.

Believe me if we vary between those two formations and Nunez is able to show his true self
      I'll be delighted. So will everyone else.

There's a player there, but if he's being a square peg in a round hole, as you say it's not his fault if he doesn't perform to his price tag. That's on whoever bought him.

I do wonder since we have so many attacking players now if there won't be some flexibility in our attack to accommodate whoever is healthy or in form or just adapt to the defense we are playing against.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #16: May 30, 2023 03:51:53 pm
      Still think Nunez will improve again next season his pace alone is scary and his finishing isnt as bad as some make out. Elliot and Carvhalo seem very technically gifted but maybe a but lightweight to make a major impact.
      We havent even seen Ramsay so jury is out and who the F**k is the is Arthur bloke. massive blunder last summer will we learn this summer though.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,860 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #17: May 30, 2023 04:03:17 pm
      Still think Nunez will improve again next season his pace alone is scary and his finishing isnt as bad as some make out. Elliot and Carvhalo seem very technically gifted but maybe a but lightweight to make a major impact.
      We havent even seen Ramsay so jury is out and who the f**k is the is Arthur bloke. massive blunder last summer will we learn this summer though.

It’s about time I nailed my colours to the mast on this Nunez debate Walt. 😂 I’ve sat back countless times with my thoughts but can’t come to a conclusion with the lad. 🤷‍♂️ Think I’ll still wait till your get your new midfield sorted out as I’m convinced that will make my mind up.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #18: May 30, 2023 05:54:33 pm
      It’s about time I nailed my colours to the mast on this Nunez debate Walt. 😂 I’ve sat back countless times with my thoughts but can’t come to a conclusion with the lad. 🤷‍♂️ Think I’ll still wait till your get your new midfield sorted out as I’m convinced that will make my mind up.

seen him score some really sweet goals with flicks and headers if he has a few brain cells in their he could actually be awesome.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,860 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #19: May 30, 2023 05:59:56 pm
      seen him score some really sweet goals with flicks and headers if he has a few brain cells in their he could actually be awesome.

I'm afraid Klopp cant help him on that one  :D
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #20: May 31, 2023 02:57:57 am

Yeah? The way it was announced with no speculation. Same with Thiago. Same with Fabinho.

Not keen on any of the speculation so far so as I said, I hope it’s rubbish and the club are working on deals not known to anyone else.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,725 posts | 847 
      Reply #21: Jun 01, 2023 03:55:24 pm
      It's not just that, CT. What gets me is that 95% of the people who are now saying Nunez doesn't fit our system are the same people who were saying we need him after our first leg against Benfica last year and the same people who would still be moaning to this very day had he ended up going to another team. Weren't we already playing a 4-3-3 back then with the same system (at least as far as the frontline is concerned)? I can't say I remember a lot of people saying he wouldn't fit the system, but now its the ''I told you'' tone. Once again, I might be wrong and some people here said that since the beginning and if someone did then I apologize in advance to that person, but most of what I see is revisionist history combined with the ''it was so obvious'' tone. 

In addition to that comes what you said. The kid didn't even have a bad campaign considering its his first season in the Prem, new team and the state of the team he was thrown into.

Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #22: Jun 01, 2023 06:19:33 pm

Are you CorballyRed on twitter? Same type of crying  :f_wah:

Quick Reply