Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

2 J0e G0mez

Read 1370 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      2 J0e G0mez
      Jan 08, 2024 05:01:21 pm
      Next time Joey plays for the club he'll be hitting the 200 game mark.

He'll be the 120th player to reach the milestone for the club, quite apt for a man who has worn number 12 for so many of his games.

I think the worrying part of it all, is his debut came all the way back in 2015. It's taken nearly a decade for him to reach 200 games such has been his injury record.

But in the past he's shown when fit and playing on a regular basis then he's got the ability to be part of this club and he's showing that again this season, where he's proving to be a very valuable member of the team.

I'd love him to score his first goal for the club on his 200th game.

Whether he does or not though, fantastic to see him achieve this.

Well in Joe!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: 2 J0e G0mez
      Reply #1: Jan 08, 2024 09:26:40 pm

He'll be the 120th player to reach the milestone for the club, quite apt for a man who has worn number 12 for so many of his games.

I think the worrying part of it all, is his debut came all the way back in 2015. It's taken nearly a decade for him to reach 200 games such has been his injury record.

But in the past he's shown when fit and playing on a regular basis then he's got the ability to be part of this club and he's showing that again this season, where he's proving to be a very valuable member of the team.

Well in Joe!

If we get a pen Billy I’d give the ball to him, I don’t know what else he has to prove tbh, he has given his all and more and no one can ask anymore of him,
      He’s not the best defender, never has been, but how many positions can he fill ?….wherever he plays he gives everything, anywhere along that back line, there aren’t many as versatile as he and that is a valuable asset to have,

I don’t think it will happen now but, I think he’d be a decent DM, he’s pacey, can read the game well enough and can obviously tackle, I’m glad the lad has stuck to his guns, his perseverance has paid off and it’s great to see him getting regular game time,

Like you I think he will score this campaign, he’s certainly been trying a bit more this season for sure, wonder what the odds are of him scoring??

YNWA

-LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,211 posts | 1214 
      Reply #2: Jan 08, 2024 10:26:49 pm
      One of these days he's going to cut inside and lash one in the corner -- hasn't been far off a few times this season. Been very impressed with his return to form and our injury problems highlight how important it is to have his versatility in our back line. And for duck's sake, stay fit  :)
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,160 posts | 1092 
      Reply #3: Jan 09, 2024 03:11:24 am
      Gomez confidence isn't that of a player whose played 199 games and never scored. Joey will have a pop almost any game he's at full back. I like that. He will score this year, barring injury. Calling it
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #4: Jan 09, 2024 08:27:14 am

Well in Joe!
      Yep Saka has more games in an Arsenal shirt than Joe in a Liverpool shirt and he’s only been around 5 minutes. It’s a shame that injuries have plagued his career here but he’s still made valuable contributions. His season at the back with Virg (was it 19/20?) was the peak so far, thought we had a good 10-year partnership there.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,259 posts | 1391 
      Reply #5: Jan 09, 2024 10:35:08 am
      Just comes across as an easy going chilled gent. Can play across the back 4. Now playing left back due to injuries. Predominately right footed so has had to adapt and has said it's a challenge. Says there's 'fire' in the squad this season.

Injuries have probably been the cause of a bit of inconsistency but we all know, and the boss knows, how good he is. Quick as any over the first 5 yards. Better on the ball than it sometimes looks. Could be a bit more aggressive in the air, might score one or two.

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,291 posts | 763 
      Reply #6: Jan 09, 2024 10:42:58 am
      Wish Joe well for hopefully, in the future a relatively free injury career, which would allow him to establish a regular first team place, or at least a valuable member of the squad.

Look forward to Joe's debut goal for the club.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,531 posts | 1770 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #7: Jan 09, 2024 10:47:44 am
      Yep Saka has more games in an Arsenal shirt than Joe in a Liverpool shirt and he’s only been around 5 minutes. It’s a shame that injuries have plagued his career here but he’s still made valuable contributions. His season at the back with Virg (was it 19/20?) was the peak so far, thought we had a good 10-year partnership there.

Just your donald duck with some players, Injuries fuk em up.

Hopefully he has now seen the worst of his injuries and he can maybe be injury free rest of his career, hes still pretty young, could go another 10 years easy.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #8: Jan 09, 2024 11:18:09 am
      This season he's played CB, RB, LB. As a RB, he even did the inverted wing-back role, going into midfield and starting build-up on a few occasions. And he did quite well in all of those roles, which is very impressive. If we had a new 26 yo signing doing all of these things, there would be plenty of people raving about that player; it's not so glamorous when it's an 'old' face in your squad but he's been superb and feels like a new signing. Hoping he can stay injury free.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,529 posts | 1083 
      Reply #9: Jan 09, 2024 11:54:38 am
      This season he's played CB, RB, LB. As a RB, he even did the inverted wing-back role, going into midfield and starting build-up on a few occasions. And he did quite well in all of those roles, which is very impressive. If we had a new 26 yo signing doing all of these things, there would be plenty of people raving about that player; it's not so glamorous when it's an 'old' face in your squad but he's been superb and feels like a new signing. Hoping he can stay injury free.

Very much so. I was pretty much writing off Gomez. He's done great this season and seems to have found abit of his old zip.

Hopefully stays fit consistently and in turn produces consistent form for a long period of time. I still prefer him at CB. Quansah now coming into that equation.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #10: Jan 09, 2024 12:28:02 pm

I think a lot of his injuries have been fairly lengthy ones as well.

He’s not someone who seems to pick up a lot of niggles but instead just gets some really bad ones.

I don’t know if that makes him injury prone or unlucky.

The only thing left on his Liverpool career now, apart from scoring, is to outlast Jürgen. He was here before the Boss took over and is the only first team player at the club to not have his debut handed to him by Klopp. So will he still be at the club by the time the great man finally says farewell to us?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #11: Jan 10, 2024 07:53:24 pm
      Only 200 games, shows how many he has missed due to injuries.

Shame as he at one point looked he was destined to be a top CB and a regular fixture on the national scene.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #12: Jan 11, 2024 11:34:44 pm
      He's getting closer and closer to scoring his 1st ever LFC Goal.

Imagine the scenes when it finally happens!
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #13: Jan 13, 2024 11:27:01 am
      He's getting closer and closer to scoring his 1st ever LFC Goal.

Imagine the scenes when it finally happens!
      Europa League final. 1-1. 98th minute.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,531 posts | 1770 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #14: Jan 13, 2024 12:51:49 pm
      Only 200 games, shows how many he has missed due to injuries.

Shame as he at one point looked he was destined to be a top CB and a regular fixture on the national scene.

Yea and folk forget that his injuries have been pretty serious as well. Not just strains or knocks.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #15: Jan 13, 2024 10:00:20 pm
      Europa League final. 1-1. 98th minute.

Imagine the scenes!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #16: Jan 14, 2024 12:10:10 am
      Yea and folk forget that his injuries have been pretty serious as well. Not just strains or knocks.

Not been his biggest admirer over the last 3 years but he has been impressive this season. A much much better full back than a centre back.

No longer a boy, one of the more senior members of the squad now and I honestly do not think it is beyond the realms of possibility he could, once again, push for a regular starting slot if he keeps up his form.

Even my kids keep asking now if Gomez scored after I tell them the score from a nighttime game. Fingers crossed.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,531 posts | 1770 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #17: Jan 14, 2024 09:11:45 am
      Not been his biggest admirer over the last 3 years but he has been impressive this season. A much much better full back than a centre back.

No longer a boy, one of the more senior members of the squad now and I honestly do not think it is beyond the realms of possibility he could, once again, push for a regular starting slot if he keeps up his form.

Even my kids keep asking now if Gomez scored after I tell them the score from a nighttime game. Fingers crossed.

He is the longest serving player. So pretty senior. L o l

Apart from academy lads who have been with club since babys. L o l
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 828 posts | 298 
      Reply #18: Jan 14, 2024 09:24:39 am
      He is the longest serving player. So pretty senior. L o l

Apart from academy lads who have been with club since babys. L o l

The longest serving player and only 26. He can still have many more years in the squad, maybe become a first 11 player again.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,531 posts | 1770 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #19: Jan 14, 2024 10:40:05 am
      The longest serving player and only 26. He can still have many more years in the squad, maybe become a first 11 player again.

Indeed.

People forget how young he was when he signed.

Quick Reply