Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

LFC Captain 2023-24

Read 5404 times
      Bleedingred
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 486 posts | 79 
      Re: LFC Captain 2023-24
      Reply #46: Jul 22, 2023 05:07:50 pm
      Allison is the one player we know will put on a world class shift week in week out. He leads by example and should be the face of this team
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,327 posts | 773 
      Reply #47: Jul 22, 2023 06:55:55 pm
      I would go for Robbo tbh, he has had experience as captain of Scotland. Maybe Van Dijk as vice captain. Although there are some very good contenders for the position.

Every poster seems to have a valid point about the role of captaincy of the club !
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,219 posts | 2764 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #48: Jul 22, 2023 07:05:05 pm
      I would go for Robbo tbh, he has had experience as captain of Scotland. Maybe Van Dijk as vice captain. Although there are some very good contenders for the position.

Every poster seems to have a valid point about the role of captaincy of the club !

Plenty of contenders but quite a few members saying to many experienced players leaving a hole in the team. 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø looks like plenty experience left in the team for me.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,938 posts | 450 
      Reply #49: Jul 22, 2023 07:27:59 pm
      Plenty of contenders but quite a few members saying to many experienced players leaving a hole in the team. 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø looks like plenty experience left in the team for me.

Not many voices in there though. Milner and Hendo were the dressing room standard setters.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,219 posts | 2764 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #50: Jul 22, 2023 10:42:58 pm
      Not many voices in there though. Milner and Hendo were the dressing room standard setters.

Thereā€™s 3 that have voices. VVD, Trent & Robbo
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,797 posts | 892 
      Reply #51: Jul 22, 2023 11:45:40 pm
      Not Trent at all  :mad:

VVD seems nailed on. Robbo is vocal but another one that seems to be dropping off, and his own place in the team could be in doubt, but that's another discussion..
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #52: Jul 23, 2023 03:12:08 pm
      Interesting shout for Trent but if you think about the qualities needed to be captain Iā€™m not sure he fits the bill; leading by example, good communicator, great attitude. I think we can agree Trent doesnā€™t always display these traits, wasnā€™t too long ago he was being called out for his lack of effort. Itā€™s easy to forget given the change in position and how well he played towards the end of the season. Just think itā€™s strange some are willing to discount Virgil based on last season, when Trent probably offered up some of the worst performances of the season.

Seems like Iā€™m dragging him a bit but itā€™s more to make a point than anything else. I do think he turned a corner towards the end of the season and canā€™t wait to see more of him in that position but just personally donā€™t think heā€™s captain material (not yet anyway).

For me itā€™s between Virgil and Allison. Obviously VVD didnā€™t have his best season but think a lot of it was blown out of proportion. Never doubted his attitude and heā€™s clearly one of the most vocal. Ali is just mr consistent isnā€™t he? Probably our player of the year last season and I wouldnā€™t mind seeing him handed the armband at all.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,974 posts | 5034 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #53: Jul 23, 2023 06:02:06 pm
      Not Trent at all  :mad:

VVD seems nailed on. Robbo is vocal but another one that seems to be dropping off, and his own place in the team could be in doubt, but that's another discussion..

Doesnā€™t make sense fella, Virgil for me wonā€™t be here too much longer imo, perhaps two three seasons max, Robbo similar, so it makes absolute sense to give it to Trent for he wonā€™t play anywhere else , heā€™s young enough and experienced enough now to carry us thru the next ten years,

Absolutely no brainer for me, heā€™s Scouse, he virtually bleeds Liverpool Red and no one will have more passion than him, itā€™s in his DNA , and will know exactly what it means wearing that armband !!!

YNWA
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,974 posts | 5034 
      Reply #54: Jul 23, 2023 06:25:02 pm
      Interesting shout for Trent but if you think about the qualities needed to be captain Iā€™m not sure he fits the bill; leading by example, good communicator, great attitude. I think we can agree Trent doesnā€™t always display these traits, wasnā€™t too long ago he was being called out for his lack of effort. Itā€™s easy to forget given the change in position and how well he played towards the end of the season. Just think itā€™s strange some are willing to discount Virgil based on last season, when Trent probably offered up some of the worst performances of the season.

Seems like Iā€™m dragging him a bit but itā€™s more to make a point than anything else. I do think he turned a corner towards the end of the season and canā€™t wait to see more of him in that position but just personally donā€™t think heā€™s captain material (not yet anyway).

For me itā€™s between Virgil and Allison. Obviously VVD didnā€™t have his best season but think a lot of it was blown out of proportion. Never doubted his attitude and heā€™s clearly one of the most vocal. Ali is just mr consistent isnā€™t he? Probably our player of the year last season and I wouldnā€™t mind seeing him handed the armband at all.

Interesting how you are quick enough to doubt Trent when the whole squad last season was bang average, you say Trent isnā€™t a great communicator, he hasnā€™t shown the traits you mentioned because he didnā€™t have to, Jordan did all that,

Lack of effort on his part you say, well same could be said of Virgil, he hasnā€™t been as solid since his injury and has made some howlers, the only player showing consistency has been Ali, and to be fair thatā€™s a great shout too, in fact Iā€™d put him ahead of both Virgil & Robbo,

Again you find it strange that ppl discount Virgil going by last seasonā€™s debacle but aside from Ali everyone else had the same awful season, all of those mentioned Iā€™m sure will be a fine captain, however I really canā€™t see the point in awarding the armband to a player who may only have a few years left at the club,

I wouldnā€™t be disappointed if indeed Ali pipped Trent but, Iā€™d rather we just give to Trent now and we donā€™t have to worry for a decade or so, Ali would be ideal as vice captain,

Trent is 24, but feels heā€™s been playing more than his 8 years, heā€™s won everything there is to win and knows exactly what is expected of being Captain of Liverpool FC, heā€™s had two outstanding captains before him and will have learnt how he should conduct himself both on and off the pitch, itā€™s too big a opportunity to have a Scouse born dyed in the wool bona fide Red becoming Captain, not forgetting that Being the ultimate honour for a local lad.

Againā€¦.itā€™s a no brainer for me !!

YNWA
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,219 posts | 2764 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #55: Jul 23, 2023 07:22:32 pm

Interesting how you are quick enough to doubt Trent when the whole squad last season was bang average, you say Trent isnā€™t a great communicator, he hasnā€™t shown the traits you mentioned because he didnā€™t have to, Jordan did all that, !!

YNWA

Leave the lad alone, you were quick enough to knock Trent playing in midfield    :f_whistle:
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,974 posts | 5034 
      Reply #56: Jul 23, 2023 08:24:22 pm
      Leave the lad alone, you were quick enough to knock Trent playing in midfield    :f_whistle:

F**k off Keith, I didnā€™t knock him at all, I never knock any of our players so donā€™t put your toxic words into my mouth you Kunt,

I said he wasnā€™t ready yet to move forward, because of the then system used by JĆ¼rgen, at the time, things obviously progress and yes I was still of the opinion his best position was rwb, however, now that he has matured and his experience rampaging forward allowed for extra impetus going forward, it became clear he was developing into a AM, also, Hendo would fill in for his tirades going forward and that clearly wasnā€™t the case of late in particular last season,
      He played there in his younger days you pr**k so it was inevitable heā€™d be best suited to move forward and take up that position again,

You f***in piss me off at times, especially when you think you know whatā€™s best for our players, F**k off with that sh*te, you wonā€™t see me on that redcafe pish knocking that useless Kunt Slabhead, or any other of your other players, ill do it on here in my clubs forum, youā€™re becoming quite adept at putting the f***in boot to our players in particular Gomez, youā€™re entitled to your opinion of course but sometimes you know, you need to mind your station, so stop putting your words into mine or any other members gobs, itā€™s just not amiable or indeed very sportsmanlike.

So F**k off, Eat sh*t and Die Muther f**ker, Ya pr**k !!!

YNWA

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,219 posts | 2764 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #57: Jul 23, 2023 09:17:04 pm

F**k off Keith, I didnā€™t knock him at all, I never knock any of our players so donā€™t put your toxic words into my mouth you Kunt,

I said he wasnā€™t ready yet to move forward, because of the then system used by JĆ¼rgen, at the time, things obviously progress and yes I was still of the opinion his best position was rwb, however, now that he has matured and his experience rampaging forward allowed for extra impetus going forward, it became clear he was developing into a AM, also, Hendo would fill in for his tirades going forward and that clearly wasnā€™t the case of late in particular last season,
      He played there in his younger days you pr**k so it was inevitable heā€™d be best suited to move forward and take up that position again,

You f***in piss me off at times, especially when you think you know whatā€™s best for our players, F**k off with that sh*te, you wonā€™t see me on that redcafe pish knocking that useless Kunt Slabhead, or any other of your other players, ill do it on here in my clubs forum, youā€™re becoming quite adept at putting the f***in boot to our players in particular Gomez, youā€™re entitled to your opinion of course but sometimes you know, you need to mind your station, so stop putting your words into mine or any other members gobs, itā€™s just not amiable or indeed very sportsmanlike.

So F**k off, Eat sh*t and Die Muther f**ker, Ya pr**k !!!

YNWA

Ning Ning Ning, nang nang nang calm down you oily scouser. Take it like a man and stop moaning coz youā€™re fat with all that pies  youā€™ve been swallowing. Iā€™ve never said whatā€™s best, like you itā€™s an opinion and Iā€™m certainly not going to look into the achieves to quote your thoughts on Trent. Hell Iā€™ve even said in my post while back he started in midfield so youā€™re not telling me anything I didnā€™t know.

My opinion on Gomez no different to the other members that call him so that station talk is all sh*te so you can stuff that remark where sun donā€™t shine.

Now put your dummy back in.

ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #58: Jul 23, 2023 11:14:56 pm

Interesting how you are quick enough to doubt Trent when the whole squad last season was bang average, you say Trent isnā€™t a great communicator, he hasnā€™t shown the traits you mentioned because he didnā€™t have to, Jordan did all that,

Lack of effort on his part you say, well same could be said of Virgil, he hasnā€™t been as solid since his injury and has made some howlers, the only player showing consistency has been Ali, and to be fair thatā€™s a great shout too, in fact Iā€™d put him ahead of both Virgil & Robbo,

Again you find it strange that ppl discount Virgil going by last seasonā€™s debacle but aside from Ali everyone else had the same awful season, all of those mentioned Iā€™m sure will be a fine captain, however I really canā€™t see the point in awarding the armband to a player who may only have a few years left at the club,

I wouldnā€™t be disappointed if indeed Ali pipped Trent but, Iā€™d rather we just give to Trent now and we donā€™t have to worry for a decade or so, Ali would be ideal as vice captain,

Trent is 24, but feels heā€™s been playing more than his 8 years, heā€™s won everything there is to win and knows exactly what is expected of being Captain of Liverpool FC, heā€™s had two outstanding captains before him and will have learnt how he should conduct himself both on and off the pitch, itā€™s too big a opportunity to have a Scouse born dyed in the wool bona fide Red becoming Captain, not forgetting that Being the ultimate honour for a local lad.

Againā€¦.itā€™s a no brainer for me !!

YNWA
      Read the post again mate. I never suggested he was the only one who had a poor season but he certainly was one of the only players whose attitude could be called in to question. Really the main point youā€™re making here is that he is a scouser, thatā€™s not enough in itself to earn you the armband. Think youā€™re making a lot of excuses for him saying he hasnā€™t needed to be vocal because of Henderson, a captain is a captain before he has the armband. Nothing is going to magically change when he sticks it on his arm.
      DanMann

• 5,797 posts | 892 
      Reply #59: Jul 23, 2023 11:58:54 pm

Absolutely no brainer for me, heā€™s Scouse, he virtually bleeds Liverpool Red and no one will have more passion than him, itā€™s in his DNA , and will know exactly what it means wearing that armband !!!

YNWA

Precisely what's wrong in my opinion. The idea that because a player is from Liverpool it makes them better than others. It's the only reason why Jones is still backed by the fans. It's the reason why we have pushed forward other players who were not good enough in the past too.

Sure, it's nice to see someone with passion, but where was Trent's passion when he allowed Utd to beat us in the first game last season? Jogging around whilst Utd were running past him down his side. No care in the world.

A captain needs to be able to lead and push the other players, give direction, be a presence.. Trent is Scouse. That's about all in his favour. He could come good in the future, maybe give him the vice captain role to give him experience and have him learn the role, but not Captain yet at all.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,974 posts | 5034 
      Reply #60: Jul 24, 2023 02:58:14 am
      Ning Ning Ning, nang nang nang calm down you oily scouser. Take it like a man and stop moaning coz youā€™re fat with all that pies  youā€™ve been swallowing. Iā€™ve never said whatā€™s best, like you itā€™s an opinion and Iā€™m certainly not going to look into the achieves to quote your thoughts on Trent. Hell Iā€™ve even said in my post while back he started in midfield so youā€™re not telling me anything I didnā€™t know.

My opinion on Gomez no different to the other members that call him so that station talk is all sh*te so you can stuff that remark where sun donā€™t shine.

Now put your dummy back in.

Ning Ning nang f***in nang, what the F**k you on about Fuckstick, Iā€™m perfectly calm you patronising tw*t, what dā€™ya want a f***in medal cos you can come on these boards and pretend you know whatā€™s best for our players, opinions are why we post our bullshit whether you like a player or f***in not, tell me something new ?

Go and take yer face for a sh*te fella, yer fat arse is getting jealous!!!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,974 posts | 5034 
      Reply #61: Jul 24, 2023 03:20:14 am
      Read the post again mate. I never suggested he was the only one who had a poor season but he certainly was one of the only players whose attitude could be called in to question. Really the main point youā€™re making here is that he is a scouser, thatā€™s not enough in itself to earn you the armband. Think youā€™re making a lot of excuses for him saying he hasnā€™t needed to be vocal because of Henderson, a captain is a captain before he has the armband. Nothing is going to magically change when he sticks it on his arm.

Cast yer mind back to the days our Ste was captain, before he even thought of retiring, did you imagine then  Jordan Henderson stepping into his boots, no you probably didnā€™t, same as anyone else who thought back then his days were numbered here and f***in Clint Dempsey was spoke of in his stead,

I get what youā€™re saying regarding being local, however are you then say someone from outside of Liverpool will have a better understanding of what it feels like captaining your home side, of course not, another point you raise is a captain is a captain before heā€™s a captain, well thatā€™s ridiculous, he knows full well heā€™s destined for the armband, itā€™s only a matter of time, at Liverpool we are blessed with several captains we have in our midst, Ali, Virgil, Robbo, Matip, Gomez, Hendo still for now, and  of course Trent,

You DONT think he has the right attitude, or leads by example or heā€™s a good communicator, youā€™re talking Bollocks mate, he has all them traits already having Captained the U21ā€™s et al,

Ok so you DONT like Trent as Captain thatā€™s fine youā€™re opinion, but again Iā€™ll emphasise, why give the armband to a player who will most probably only be here another 2/3 seasons, when there exists a very capable candidate that can take us thru the next ten yrs??

YNWA
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,974 posts | 5034 
      Reply #62: Jul 24, 2023 03:30:33 am
      Precisely what's wrong in my opinion. The idea that because a player is from Liverpool it makes them better than others. It's the only reason why Jones is still backed by the fans. It's the reason why we have pushed forward other players who were not good enough in the past too.

Sure, it's nice to see someone with passion, but where was Trent's passion when he allowed Utd to beat us in the first game last season? Jogging around whilst Utd were running past him down his side. No care in the world.

A captain needs to be able to lead and push the other players, give direction, be a presence.. Trent is Scouse. That's about all in his favour. He could come good in the future, maybe give him the vice captain role to give him experience and have him learn the role, but not Captain yet at all.

Another who doesnā€™t like Trent and singles out particular moments so as to make your argument look good, and at the same time take a swipe at Curtis Jones too, so who do you mean that we pushed other players who were deemed not good enough in the past, go on , please enlighten us with your profound knowledge of Liverpool captains, good enough or not,

Again Iā€™ll allude to Trent captaining the U21ā€™s Before he became a regular in the first team, or does that not matter cos itā€™s not against Utd while he jogā€™s back into position in a brief snippet of a 38 match season??

F**k off you Bellend !!!
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,327 posts | 773 
      Reply #63: Jul 24, 2023 06:36:38 am
      Do not mind who becomes the next LFC captain, all supporters should simply give him their full  backing !
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,219 posts | 2764 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #64: Jul 24, 2023 08:02:26 am

Ning Ning nang f***in nang, what the F**k you on about Fuckstick, Iā€™m perfectly calm you patronising tw*t, what dā€™ya want a f***in medal cos you can come on these boards and pretend you know whatā€™s best for our players, opinions are why we post our bullshit whether you like a player or f***in not, tell me something new ?

Go and take yer face for a sh*te fella, yer fat arse is getting jealous!!!

Hopefully you got out of the right side of bed this morning.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 846 posts | 303 
      Reply #65: Jul 24, 2023 09:09:28 am

Sorry mate but that is a load of crap.

Trent is a exceptionally good player, possibly world class. He can go on to play 600+ games for the club but, like any player, will have some moments, games, weeks or months when his form or fitness drops below his usual high standards.

I personally think it is significant that he's from Liverpool and grew up as part of the club. That long term connection with the club and the city is a factor in making the decision about captaincy. If the club brought in a young player from London or Spain, for example, they spend 3 or 4 years at the club before getting into the 1st team that would also be important for me.
      We should have many captains when the players go on the pitch. Robbo, VVD, Ali and others will all contribute. Being the captain has another role as well, representing the club off the pitch so Trent's local roots are important for me. Hendo was a good captain of the pitch because of the non-football stuff he did, a legacy that is sadly tarnished now.

Jones is a good player with potential, anyone who has watched him play over the last 5 years should be able to see that. His development has been a bit slower than we would have liked, for various reasons but he's still young. We don't bin players because they are taking a bit more time to develop, we are not Chelsea. He's starting to show his potential and I think he can have a good season for us. Again, being from Liverpool is probably slightly significant as he probably has more connection to the club and might be more motivated to stay and fight for his place in the team.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,239 posts | 3493 
      Reply #66: Jul 24, 2023 10:36:05 am

Itā€™s not the reason why

Itā€™s because he is a very good young player
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,453 posts | 8662 
      Reply #67: Jul 24, 2023 12:35:15 pm
      It'll be from the leadership group, so most likely one of VVD, Robbo or Mo.
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #68: Jul 24, 2023 04:02:26 pm
      The players will probably vote again. The previous captains of Jordan, Milly and VVD were voted by the players.

Quick Reply