Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Romeo Lavia (Southampton)

Read 51275 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Re: Romeo Lavia (Southampton)
      Reply #1173: Aug 14, 2023 12:48:46 pm
      Sky Sports saying we've agreed a deal for Ā£60m with Southampton for Lavia

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Liverpool have agreed a deal worth Ā£60m with Southampton for Romeo Lavia, Sky Sports News understands. 🚨<br><br>Chelsea are still pushing to sign Lavia and have been close to an agreement with Saints late last week. 🍿 <a href="https://t.co/R1jup00SkY">pic.twitter.com/R1jup00SkY</a></p>&mdash; Sky Sports Premier League (@SkySportsPL) <a href="https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1691039732879314944?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 14, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,759 posts | 863 
      Reply #1174: Aug 14, 2023 12:50:08 pm
      I havenā€™t seen anything credible to say chelsea will match the bid and that Lavia wants to go there.
      <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">🔵🇧🇪 Final announcement for Romeo Lavia incoming. Just waiting for a final confirmation but the player arrived in London this week-end &amp; enjoyed a private moment with friends in order to celebrate his move. Playerā€™s side now being formal on the fact heĀ“s off to Chelsea. <br>ā³ Thisā€¦</p>&mdash; Sacha Tavolieri (@sachatavolieri) <a href="https://twitter.com/sachatavolieri/status/1690848401477246976?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 13, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Lad was spot on during the whole saga, reporting our bids and their amount a day or at least a few hours before anybody else. If we are to contrast this tweet with reports of us agreeing a deal with Soton then it sounds a lot like the Caicedo situation.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #1175: Aug 14, 2023 12:50:22 pm
      Poch plays a double pivot, he may well be looking at Caicedo and Lavia with Fernandez in front. Unfortunately that looks like a cracking midfield.

Strong midfield yes but not much creativity.

MacAllister, Szobo and a fit Thiago is better IMO.
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,394 posts | 1025 
      Reply #1176: Aug 14, 2023 12:54:06 pm
      You can have a contract length as big as you want

But you canā€™t amortise the fee across the full length of contract anymore - max is 5 years

Thanks for clearing that up, I was shocked that UEFA hadnā€™t something to say about it.
      Given that they canā€™t amortise it across the full length of the contract, surely Chelsea are going to come unstuck big time eventually!
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,759 posts | 863 
      Reply #1177: Aug 14, 2023 12:55:02 pm

I disagree on this one, Baz. Everything rests on a strong defensive base. Like we've seen last season and yesterday during the game, lacking the proper cover in that midfield makes you go long minutes without the ball which in turn stifles any creativity you might have. The other thing that happens is that even when that creativity is allowed to shine and you score, you also concede which is counterproductive.
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #1178: Aug 14, 2023 12:56:35 pm

We had Hendo, fab and Gino for years. Chelsea use James and Chillwell the same way we have used Trent and Robbo. You donā€™t have to be ultra creative in midfield so long as you can win the ball, move it quickly and get it to your front five. You need a structure. We had one for years. Fernandez is creative though, heā€™s a top player.
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #1179: Aug 14, 2023 01:00:00 pm
      <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">🔵🇧🇪 Final announcement for Romeo Lavia incoming. Just waiting for a final confirmation but the player arrived in London this week-end &amp; enjoyed a private moment with friends in order to celebrate his move. Playerā€™s side now being formal on the fact heĀ“s off to Chelsea. <br>ā³ Thisā€¦</p>&mdash; Sacha Tavolieri (@sachatavolieri) <a href="https://twitter.com/sachatavolieri/status/1690848401477246976?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 13, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Lad was spot on during the whole saga, reporting our bids and their amount a day or at least a few hours before anybody else. If we are to contrast this tweet with reports of us agreeing a deal with Soton then it sounds a lot like the Caicedo situation.

It looks like we could well be second best again then. Problem is this will play out for several days. I just hope they are moving in absorber target. If the player wants chelsea get him to state this (to the club) and move on quickly.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,265 posts | 3503 
      Reply #1180: Aug 14, 2023 01:01:17 pm
      Thanks for clearing that up, I was shocked that UEFA hadnā€™t something to say about it.
      Given that they canā€™t amortise it across the full length of the contract, surely Chelsea are going to come unstuck big time eventually!

Yep it does seem silly and looks like they are following the US method of offering long contracts to tie players down

Very risky
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,739 posts | 159 
      Reply #1181: Aug 14, 2023 01:02:09 pm
      Even Man City are getting rejected for Chelsea ? what the actual F**k
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #1182: Aug 14, 2023 01:04:00 pm
      Even Man City are getting rejected for Chelsea ? what the actual F**k

Saudiā€™s richer than Abu Dhabi to bung extra cash to agents.
      Biscanator
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 331 posts | 62 
      Reply #1183: Aug 14, 2023 01:18:38 pm
      It looks like we could well be second best again then. Problem is this will play out for several days. I just hope they are moving in absorber target. If the player wants chelsea get him to state this (to the club) and move on quickly.

Hes just back tracking from this tweet now
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #1184: Aug 14, 2023 01:28:48 pm
      Hes just back tracking from this tweet now

Really? That would be good!
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,265 posts | 3503 
      Reply #1185: Aug 14, 2023 01:42:54 pm
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #1186: Aug 14, 2023 01:49:32 pm

In fairness, he hasn't really been spot on. He's changed his tune three for four times. I mean yesterday he was literally talking about Lavia in London celebrating with his friends and that he was going to Chelsea. I think this guy is just a shi**er version of Romano. He's being used by someone just as well.

I'm not saying that we are out of the Lavia deal, but are we really going to pay 60m for a player that just a week ago we weren't willing to go above 45 for? That reeks of desperation and while we may be desperate at this point, we shouldn't have had to have been...we could have paid Soton's asking price like 3 weeks ago and we'd have already had the player for 10m less than this supposed bid.

Just doesn't sound right to me.

Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,639 posts | 131 
      Reply #1187: Aug 14, 2023 02:00:06 pm
      The real winners here are only Saints and Brighton. One was asking for 100 Mio the other for 50 Mio and both will end up with more than they initially asked for. Both Liverpool and Chelsea look kinda stupid in the endā€¦.

:lmao: :lmao:
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #1188: Aug 14, 2023 02:06:24 pm
      The real winners here are only Saints and Brighton. One was asking for 100 Mio the other for 50 Mio and both will end up with more than they initially asked for. Both Liverpool and Chelsea look kinda stupid in the endā€¦.

:lmao: :lmao:

Brighton apparently got a sell on clause too.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,910 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1189: Aug 14, 2023 02:28:38 pm
      So 2 hours ago we signed him for 60 mill, I look away for a while and now heā€™s off to the Chav cu*ts?

What the F**k is going on?

Edit: going to bed now, wonder what will happen when I wake up in 8 hours!

Night all
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,759 posts | 863 
      Reply #1190: Aug 14, 2023 02:50:10 pm
      In fairness, he hasn't really been spot on. He's changed his tune three for four times. I mean yesterday he was literally talking about Lavia in London celebrating with his friends and that he was going to Chelsea. I think this guy is just a shi**er version of Romano. He's being used by someone just as well.

I'm not saying that we are out of the Lavia deal, but are we really going to pay 60m for a player that just a week ago we weren't willing to go above 45 for? That reeks of desperation and while we may be desperate at this point, we shouldn't have had to have been...we could have paid Soton's asking price like 3 weeks ago and we'd have already had the player for 10m less than this supposed bid.

Just doesn't sound right to me.
      I think you're quoting the tweet I posted, FL :D

For sure, there's a lot of people talking out there and not a lot of them seem to know what they are saying. I agree with you that it would be weird for us to pay 60M when a week ago the price was 50M, but then again, the desperation might be a part of it like you said.

I think that the difference this summer is that we've been singing this same tune of ''we couldn't get our target'' for two years in a row now and I think that the club, from top to bottom, understand its a hard sale to do that for a 3rd year in a row especially off the backdrop of last season, so they are looking to get those transfers done. However, what didn't change is our tendency to try and make everything work exactly the way we wanted before sanctioning a transfer (I.E., make sure the player is our top target, get him for the fee we deem acceptable, get the deal structure we want, etc.).

While I am all for this approach to transfers, especially in such a volatile market, I think that this approach does not mix well with desperation and it was a mistake to maintain this philosophy this summer. This is the type of approach that works when you're on top of your game, like we were a few seasons ago. Because when this is the case you can afford to wait, test the other club, raise a bit your bid, bank on the fact that you got CL money, not come across as desperate, etc. Unfortunately we did not do that (the proverbial improve/recruit while you're on top). Going to see Soton, who slapped a 50M price tag on Lavia, when we just lost CL football, sold Fabinho and the state of our midfield was talked about up and down the country last season (I mean everybody knows you're desperate for a total overhaul of your midfield) isn't exactly done from the same position of power that you were in a summer or two ago.

The last thing we needed this summer was to stretch things over a long period of time for a position you got 0 cover in. While we could get technical about when exactly Fabinho departed, I'm of the opinion that he departed the day we heard serious talks of the Saudi club being in for him (same for Hendo). From that moment onward, everybody around you know you have no Fabinho and no Hendo and so its/was in your best interest to get something done almost immediately.

This is not to say that we had to walk around with a blank cheque and just give any team any price they asked for. What we had to do was quickly assess our targets, quickly assess the negotiating positions those clubs we're talking to us from, be ready to either quickly transition from offering what we think is fair to the price they want or quickly move on to our secondary target. Wasn't done, we lingered on one player, panicked and turned around and bid 111M on a player, lingered further for 5 days on that whole saga and here we are back to square one.

Edit: I think also what some people are missing is that Chelsea is also another club that is desperate and Brighton and Soton both know and understood that very well from the very beginning. They both understood that if they held tights for long enough another club would come in and bid even higher than the price tag they had set on those players. The net result is that both clubs seem headed towards and extra 10 to 20 extra million in the bank
      « Last Edit: Aug 14, 2023 02:55:51 pm by PolarBearRed »
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,302 posts | 943 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #1191: Aug 14, 2023 02:59:00 pm
      Itā€™s our own fault for faffing about, had weeks to sort it but didnā€™t ffs
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,264 posts | 1118 
      Reply #1192: Aug 14, 2023 03:32:52 pm
      So he is or isn't coming here?
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,739 posts | 3948 
      Reply #1193: Aug 14, 2023 03:35:40 pm

Heā€™s off to Chelsea mate
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,265 posts | 3503 
      Reply #1194: Aug 14, 2023 03:46:58 pm

Have the actually had a bid accepted ?
      Redangel

• 8,394 posts | 1025 
      Reply #1195: Aug 14, 2023 03:50:02 pm
      I hope he gets splinters in his a**e sitting on Chelseaā€™s bench! How we have ended up in this position needs looking into and lessons need to be learnt!

Quick Reply