Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

First Team Squad 23/24

Read 5806 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      First Team Squad 23/24
      Aug 04, 2023 12:17:46 pm
      I don't think we have one that's open that shows the squad as it stands going into the new season and if I've missed it apologies Mods.

Thought it would be good to have as reference as obviously a lot of chat about how short we are going tino the new season.

GK

Allison
      Kelleher
      Adrian

DF

Van Dijk
      Matip
      Konate
      Robertson
      Alexander Arnold
      Gomez
      Tsimikas
      Phillips
      Bradley

MF

MacAllister
      Szoboszlai
      Jones
      Thiago
      Bacjetic
      Elliott

Forwards

Diaz
      Nunez
      Gakpo
      Salah
      Jota
      Doak
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Re: First Team Squad 23/24
      Reply #1: Aug 04, 2023 12:26:05 pm
      Midfield definitely at least one short and defense a little unbalanced for the system were playing but other than that were good to go.

Ideal world we get 2 CM and a LCB so let's see how we shape up come the end of the window
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,708 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #2: Aug 04, 2023 12:26:07 pm
      I would add Quansah to our defense.

Just read that Bajectic and Thiago will be back this Saturday, really good news.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #3: Aug 04, 2023 12:26:41 pm
      I would add Quansah to our defense.

Just read that Bajectic and Thiago will be back this Saturday, really good news.

Yea I would but you would class him as First Team Squad just now but he'll definitely feature.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #4: Aug 04, 2023 12:34:58 pm
      Really like the depth and versatility we have in attack. If they are can stay fit (especially Jota) and have good form we are going to score lots of goal and be fun to watch.

Clearly we could use a body or two in the middle. The sudden departure of Hendo and Fabinho though might make the transition period tougher but is a great opportunity for Jones/Elliott/Bacjectic to cement more significant role within the squad.

I believe the idea for the club was to buy 2 CM and 1 CB this window which went out the door with the departure and required us to change our plans (seems new CB kind of went to the side burner for now). Wait and see how it plays at the end of the transfer window.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #5: Aug 04, 2023 01:13:35 pm
      Midfield definitely at least one short and defense a little unbalanced for the system were playing but other than that were good to go.

Ideal world we get 2 CM and a LCB so let's see how we shape up come the end of the window

Can’t see another three coming in Si if I’m honest, I still think Lavia is imminent once the offer is improved…again, after that it’s doubtful we’ll see another addition, however, Jürgen has indicated that there will be further additions so I certainly won’t be surprised if indeed another comes in,

Think your spot on though regarding a CB, as has been over stated, being reliant on Matip & Gomez going thru the entire campaign un injured is perhaps foolhardy,

He could of course recruit from within but I’m not so sure the likes of the Quansah is ready yet, perhaps a loan spell with a Championship club would serve him well, it’s unusual for us to leave it as long as we have to recruit, however the curve balls of Hendo & Fab has thrown a spanner in the works so it’s entirely possible further additions won’t happen until January, for to allow due diligence on prospective players,

Four Cb’s with Nat Phillips backing up could well be enough to get us to January, so long as we stay clear of injuries, but we’ll see ??

YNWA

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #6: Aug 04, 2023 01:16:34 pm
      Its not too bad IMO, as everyone says we need at least 1 more MF and a CB.

Attacking options are frightening. :)
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,708 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #7: Aug 04, 2023 01:52:39 pm
      He will play before Phillips because if not mistaken Nat hasn't played any minutes during pre-season
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #8: Aug 04, 2023 01:54:40 pm
      He will play before Phillips because if not mistaken Nat hasn't played any minutes during pre-season

And seems more suited to how we play than Phillips from the little I've seen.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,049 posts | 3431 
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #10: Aug 04, 2023 04:22:45 pm
      Ideally 2 CMs this window and make sure a suitable LCB comes in later. Give Quansah some game time.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #11: Aug 04, 2023 04:28:47 pm
      Would be disappointed (and surprised) if we don't bring 1 more midfielder (a DM) in. Other than that, we are good to go.
      rossyred

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #12: Aug 04, 2023 04:49:00 pm
      Can't believe Nat Phillips is still here serious waste of a wage
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,543 posts | 1481 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #13: Aug 04, 2023 09:04:58 pm
      What would people would say is our best eleven as it stands? I really struggle to be honest to make a balanced one...
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,049 posts | 3431 
      Reply #14: Aug 04, 2023 09:21:33 pm
      What would people would say is our best eleven as it stands? I really struggle to be honest to make a balanced one...

For me it would be

If all fit

Alisson

TAA
      Konate
      VVD
      Robbo

Bajectic
      Gary Mac
      Szoboszlai

Diaz
      Gakpo
      Mo

Subs

Kelleher
      Gomez
      Matip
      Kostas
      Jones
      Thiago
      Elliot
      Jota
      Nunez
      CT_LFC

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #15: Aug 04, 2023 09:21:34 pm
      Can't believe Nat Phillips is still here serious waste of a wage

someone has to be that 5th CB option, and whoever that is will not be a volunteer.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #16: Aug 04, 2023 09:21:54 pm
      Attack looks good, similarly goalkeeper looks good if Kelleher stays. Midfield looks like it is two defensive players short. Defence has numbers but a lack of quality at centre back beyond the main two (and question marks over them both too). Robbo also doesn't fit this current system at all which is an issue.

Lots to do.
      rossyred

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #17: Aug 04, 2023 09:31:30 pm
      someone has to be that 5th CB option, and whoever that is will not be a volunteer.

We have youngsters for that you can't all pap on about promoting from within and then have someone taking up a spot who we could cash in on and give someone else a chance like Quansah if required
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #18: Aug 04, 2023 11:56:33 pm
      We have youngsters for that you can't all pap on about promoting from within and then have someone taking up a spot who we could cash in on and give someone else a chance like Quansah if required
      Yes but that 5th center back, like  Nat last season, is not going to play very much at all. Quansah will need games at this stage of his career and I expect him to be loaned out.

Saying that, you'd think  Nat at some point would want to go somewhere that will actually let him play regular matches. He may need a pay cut to do that but he's still young enough to want to build a proper career. What I would rather see us do is sign a better center back, one good enough to play with Virgil and Ibou if we're three at the back. Gomez then can be the 5th center back as well as a backup at left and especially right back.

I do think Quansah is one of the youngsters with a genuine chance of becoming a first team regular for us, not this year or next year even, but he's someone with a real path forward. We've seen a lot of young players with the first team during the last several preseasons. The cold truth is most of them don't make it with us, but Quansah still has a decent chance at that, so let's make sure his development is a top priority (and that means playing matches this season).
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #19: Aug 05, 2023 12:32:29 am
      For me it would be

If all fit

Alisson

TAA
      Konate
      VVD
      Robbo

Bajectic
      Gary Mac
      Szoboszlai

Diaz
      Gakpo
      Mo

Subs

Kelleher
      Gomez
      Matip
      Kostas
      Jones
      Thiago
      Elliot
      Jota
      Nunez

A fit Thiago would literally be our best midfielder. Other than that, agree
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #20: Aug 05, 2023 01:06:47 am
      Can discard Thiago as he will be probably be injured, but at a injury to either Mac or Dom, god forbid both and we are screwed.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,128 posts | 83 
      Reply #21: Aug 05, 2023 03:31:45 am
      This squad can win PL & EL if no key injury (= key guy and 3+ weeks) happens. It is a bit of a gamble but we will have a quiet first half of season because the EL group stage will enable us to play our bench. I do not see any team outside of City clearly more talented than us and City might just go thru an hangover season after the last one.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #22: Aug 05, 2023 11:24:09 am
      The squad looks alright. Additional players are just a luxury. Let's not forget that 1) TAA can play in midfield if needed; and 2) like Stevie, Thiago can convert into a deeper role.

We like things we are comfortable in, which is why most will tend to write off tweaks like these and go for the safer option, which is to acquire players. And when we fail to acquire, panic sets in. I guess this is why we don't see any anxiety from Klopp because he can manage his resources.

Quick Reply