Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

First Team Squad 23/24

Read 5803 times
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: First Team Squad 23/24
      Reply #23: Aug 05, 2023 12:21:47 pm
      This squad can win PL & EL if no key injury (= key guy and 3+ weeks) happens. It is a bit of a gamble but we will have a quiet first half of season because the EL group stage will enable us to play our bench. I do not see any team outside of City clearly more talented than us and City might just go thru an hangover season after the last one.

Holy sh*t mate, unlike you to be so positive, you are correct though, this season as with others past and in the future is always a gamble, and as usual we canā€™t or shouldnā€™t pass judgement until weā€™re six - eight games in !!

YNWA
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,049 posts | 3431 
      Reply #24: Aug 09, 2023 08:34:05 pm
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66437506

Last season - 5th

Alexis Mac Allister in action for Brighton against Liverpool's Jordan Henderson
      Alexis Mac Allister will be playing for Liverpool this season after signing from Brighton
      With no silverware and no Champions League football, last season was a failure for manager JĆ¼rgen Klopp and his players, 12 months after they had won the FA Cup and Carabao Cup, and got to within two matches of an unprecedented quadruple. Suggestions of a hangover sounded suspiciously like excuses for under-achievement.

Klopp's planning was disrupted as the Saudi Pro League wielded its chequebook, leading to the departures of captain Jordan Henderson and Fabinho. He will now want more additions to those of Argentina World Cup winner Alex Mac Allister and young Hungarian Dominik Szoboszlai, with Southampton's Romeo Lavia lined up next.

I am expecting a Liverpool resurgence, especially as they boast such firepower in attack with Mohamed Salah, Cody Gakpo, Luis Diaz, Diogo Jota and Darwin Nunez.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #25: Aug 09, 2023 08:41:07 pm
      Squad looks short at the moment. Front five Looks good. Midfield needs players and the defensive questions remain. Really not sure if we can cope with injuries anywhere behind the front five.

Iā€™m not expecting us to challenge for the title. Bite your hand off for a return to the top four.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #26: Aug 10, 2023 01:21:02 pm
      Trying to figure out what our home grown situation is, as we seem a couple short from the first team and trying to work out how desperately we need to pay the premium in the transfer market to fulfil the homegrown quota.

Each club is able to list up to 17 senior players that are not English or Welsh and did not spend a significant period in an English or Welsh academy, plus any number of homegrown players up to a maximum squad size of 25, plus an unlimited number of academy and under-21 players

Homegrown 4 or 5 depending if Phillips leaves
      Trent
      Jones
      Kelleher
      Gomez
      Phillips
      (Morton)
      (Glatzel)

Foreign (15) space for 2 more to max out.
      Allison
      Adrian
      Konate
      Virgil
      Matip
      Robertson
      Tsimikas
      Thiago
      MacAllister
      Szobozlai
      Salah
      Nunez
      Gapko
      Jota
      Diaz

Assume weā€™re more worried about the 17 cap than meeting the overall 25 number as have quite a few academy players that can fill in in the first team. The quotas also seems like more of a short term issue as a few will turn 22 within next 2 years and then classify as home grown.

U21 (not part of quota)
      Bajcetic
      Elliot
      Quansah
      Doak
      Bradley
      Chambers
      Frauendorf
      Clark
      Gordon
      Musialowski
      Cannonier
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,266 posts | 281 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #27: Aug 11, 2023 08:12:10 am
      How strong does our first 11 look now 😋
      Going to be deadly if we the ground running and have a bit of luck for once with injuries.

Cannot F***ing wait for Sunday!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #28: Aug 19, 2023 05:00:24 pm
      Amazing just how quickly we've gelled with a brand new midfield.

We're already above last season's top four and in the Champions League places ourselves.

What a F***ing rebuild this has turned out to be!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #29: Aug 30, 2023 04:45:55 pm

We're already above last season's top four and in the Champions League places ourselves.

Mac Allister and Szoboszlai have been the perfect additions to the team.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #30: Aug 30, 2023 04:52:59 pm
      Mac Allister and Szoboszlai have been the perfect additions to the team.

And Endo has a 100% win record as a Liverpool player because he truly is the world class midfielder we've been lacking.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      Reply #31: Aug 31, 2023 12:08:18 am

And itā€™s only going to get better Billy, we may be short in numbers but hopefully injuries donā€™t affect us too much, with plenty of rotation we should be fine,

Always takes half a dozen games to get our rhythm consistent and to build confidence, weā€™ve seen how well the boys are gelling already like you said,

Need another one for midfield and I was hoping another CB, but looks like JĆ¼rgenā€™s impressed with Young Quansah so perhaps heā€™s been promoted to our fifth cb, rumours abound regarding Gravenberch, looks like he could be next thru the door??

YNWA
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #32: Sep 01, 2023 01:18:43 pm

And itā€™s only going to get better Billy, we may be short in numbers but hopefully injuries donā€™t affect us too much, with plenty of rotation we should be fine,

Always takes half a dozen games to get our rhythm consistent and to build confidence, weā€™ve seen how well the boys are gelling already like you said,

Need another one for midfield and I was hoping another CB, but looks like JĆ¼rgenā€™s impressed with Young Quansah so perhaps heā€™s been promoted to our fifth cb, rumours abound regarding Gravenberch, looks like he could be next thru the door??

YNWA

I think most agree that weā€™re a bit short in the middle of the park, given the injury records of some, but the signs so far are promising. If we do get another in then it looks a lot better than last years midfield in my opinion. Gravenberch is apparently on Merseyside having his medical so that could be the one, who knows we might have Paul Daniels on our recruitment team who pulls a rabbit out the hat at the end as well.

As for the defence, I genuinely think thatā€™ll come next summer. The complete revamp of a midfield has brought everything forward by a year or two, which may not be a bad thing in the end.

Whereas I think the plan would of been to replace Henderson and Fabinho next year, itā€™s been brought forward because theyā€™ve left this year. And I think the defence would have been left until 2025 but because the midfield rebuild has been brought forward 12 months then I think the defence will be looked at in the summer of 2024.

By saying the rebuild has been brought forward 12 months for midfield, I think weā€™d of got Mac and Dom anyway this summer but probably not Endo and Gravenberch had Henderson and/or Fabinho stayed.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #33: Sep 04, 2023 08:12:28 am
      If we beat Wolves, this group of players will be top of the league even if itā€™s only for just a few hours.

Weā€™re the first game after the international break. Two points behind City. Take maximum points against Wolves. And we sit back on our perch at the top of the table.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #34: Sep 04, 2023 08:26:10 am
      Team and squad is looking good. And as noted above,  touchwood we don't have as many injuries as last season we will be in for everything going this season. The relatively easy Europe draw will help too. Older guys will be rested for most group games I reckon.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #35: Sep 04, 2023 09:16:03 am

This squad has the potential for another run at a quadruple.
      Depends on what Klopp prioritises.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #36: Sep 04, 2023 09:34:17 am
      We have so many options in midfield and attack its frightening.

The bench looked so strong on Saturday, and it that was with Konate, VVD & Thiago missing.

Who will all be available again after international break I think.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #37: Sep 04, 2023 10:06:10 am
      This squad has the potential for another run at a quadruple.
      Depends on what Klopp prioritises.

Thatā€™s the sort of positivity that I like to see mate, especially this early into a season.

I know people will say we shouldnā€™t be getting carried away because it is so early into the season but if the shoe was on the other foot and weā€™d had a similar start to Chelsea then people would be getting carried away saying the season was over.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #38: Sep 04, 2023 10:28:39 am
      Thatā€™s the sort of positivity that I like to see mate, especially this early into a season.

I know people will say we shouldnā€™t be getting carried away because it is so early into the season but if the shoe was on the other foot and weā€™d had a similar start to Chelsea then people would be getting carried away saying the season was over.

I'm going to allow myself to be excited.
      I know the squad is small but it's only one off City and two off Arsenal in terms of squad numbers.
      Factor in the complete overhaul of the midfield: Szoboszlai and Mac Allister are transformative signings and we haven't even seen Gravenberch yet.
      Mix in the youth and energy that Doak, Elliott, Bajcetic and Quansah are bringing in.
      Look how assured Quansah has been in his Newcastle and Anfield cameos.

There is a lot to look forward to.
      « Last Edit: Sep 04, 2023 11:09:53 am by racerx34 »
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #39: Sep 04, 2023 10:41:35 am

Spot on mate, imagine the manky mob had 10 points from playing away to cheatski , geordies and a home game v villa. they would be world beaters in the press and on sly sports news.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #40: Sep 04, 2023 10:42:37 am

Mix in the youth and energy that Doak, Elliott, Bajcetic and Quansah are bringing in.
      Look how assured Quansah has been in his Newcastle and Anfield cameos.

I love this just as much as the new guys coming in and playing well.

Future is bright.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #41: Sep 04, 2023 10:50:28 am
      As JĆ¼rgen says I am in love with this squad ā¤ļø
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,703 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #42: Sep 04, 2023 10:57:14 am
      Sorry for saying this because they were very good servants to this club, but our transfers are a super upgrade from Milner and Henderson.

If we are lucky enough with injuries and continue to win matches on the bounce, our confidence will grow and we will be up for a cup success this season.

We will challenge anyone on our day. Darwin's effect, winning brings confidence.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      Reply #43: Sep 04, 2023 02:19:36 pm
      Iā€™m loving all the positivity and excitement, and Iā€™m no different, however we need to keep a lid on it, one step at a time, we can all see how this group of players are developing, we can see the confidence growing, weā€™re joint 2nd with Wolves up next, after the clown show, we go top albeit temporarily, however, others aka the oily lot will be taking note, as too will the seasoned bottlers Arse, who weā€™re already above,

Rotation is key, keeping everyone fresh, especially in midfield, thereā€™s a reason we have a plethora of options now, Jones got his first minutes, the Grav will too in time, weā€™ve seen Szloboslai ease into his role and look like heā€™s been there for years, Macca and his versatility, Thiago still to come bac in, Harvey improving all the time, Bacjetic yet to feature, heā€™s quality,

Think weā€™re pretty handy up top too, Mo, Jota, Diaz, Nunez, Gakpo, and young Doak
      too, again rotation will be pivotal in reducing injuries as well as maintaining freshness,

At the back we have coped admirably without Virgil & Konate, Joelā€™s legs holding up well and Gomez has been superb, still the odd heart in mouth moments but thatā€™s just Joe, Endo still early days but once settled heā€™ll come into his own and be totally reliable, and of course Trent & Robbo , if thereā€™s a better pairing than them two Iā€™d like to see them, how many assists between them now?? and there far from finished!!

Exciting times ahead brethren, very exciting and the good thing is, we know it too, Klopp part 1 we werenā€™t expecting what happened, Klopp part 2 we all know that it will, thereā€™s a Red Hurricane coming in, and weā€™ll Smash everything in our wake !!

YNWA

__Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,875 posts | 420 
      Reply #44: Sep 04, 2023 08:45:20 pm
      4 games in and the squad is looking stretched already in defence. Trent a doubt for Wolves, Gomez playing centrally and Bradley also injured.

Still none the wiser why we do this with our right back slot but there we go.

Not sure what the options will be if Trent doesn't make the wolves game. Will Konate be back to free Gomez to go to right back or will a midfielder have to have a go there?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #45: Sep 04, 2023 09:13:18 pm
      4 games in and the squad is looking stretched already in defence. Trent a doubt for Wolves, Gomez playing centrally and Bradley also injured.

Still none the wiser why we do this with our right back slot but there we go.

Not sure what the options will be if Trent doesn't make the wolves game. Will Konate be back to free Gomez to go to right back or will a midfielder have to have a go there?

Endo can play CB. If not itā€™s Quansah time.

Quick Reply