Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Chelsea 1-1 Liverpool - In game and Post Match discussion

Read 11195 times
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 765 
      Re: Chelsea 1-1 Liverpool - In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #506: Aug 14, 2023 03:59:12 pm
      Must admit a bit disappointed with the result. I only saw brief highlights, being away for the weekend in Blackpool, still a point away at Chelsea, not too bad to start the season !
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #507: Aug 14, 2023 04:36:09 pm
      Gakpo and Macca wasted by being played out of position. They still played well.

Would rather see Jones start and shove the other pair forward.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #508: Aug 14, 2023 07:12:25 pm
      Does anybody actually understand the handball rule?

I can’t stand that phrase that has creeped into the game ‘arm is in a natural position’

If the ball strikes an opponents arm from close range and their arm is by their side then I think we would all agree it’s not a penalty. There is nothing they can do about that.

But when the ball travels from the corner flag and strikes an opponents arm then surely it’s irrelevant what position his arm is in or whether there was any intent. It was a blatant penalty for me and I couldn’t believe it didn’t go to VAR.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,309 posts | 774 
      Reply #509: Aug 14, 2023 07:26:57 pm

I can’t stand that phrase that has creeped into the game ‘arm is in a natural position’

If the ball strikes an opponents arm from close range and their arm is by their side then I think we would all agree it’s not a penalty. There is nothing they can do about that.

But when the ball travels from the corner flag and strikes an opponents arm then surely it’s irrelevant what position his arm is in or whether there was any intent. It was a blatant penalty for me and I couldn’t believe it didn’t go to VAR.
      In truth it's not an easy law to define. What distance is close? ....Had the ball not hit the lads arm/hand it would have hit his chest. He didn't change the direction of the ball....which was a factor....it was a 50/50 call sometimes you get them, sometimes you don't.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,000 posts | 2711 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #510: Aug 14, 2023 07:29:12 pm

I use to think I did but now it’s always the opposite of what I say so take note. 😂
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #511: Aug 15, 2023 04:57:07 am
      In truth it's not an easy law to define. What distance is close? ....Had the ball not hit the lads arm/hand it would have hit his chest. He didn't change the direction of the ball....which was a factor....it was a 50/50 call sometimes you get them, sometimes you don't.

It comes down to common sense, ot at least it should.

We all know when the distance is considered too close, when it’s basically impossible for the defender to move his arm out of the way due to the short distance he is from the ball and how quickly the ball is moving.

On this occasion, the ball came from the corner flag. It’s completely irrelevant whether there was intent, the position of the defenders arm or whether the ball changed direction or not.

The fact is, the ball hit the defenders arm after travelling some way without any real power. The defender lost concentration. It was a penalty.

redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,989 posts | 240 
      Reply #512: Aug 15, 2023 05:39:54 am
      With hardly any pressure on him, I am not sure how Nunez failed to control the Macca pass at the death.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #513: Aug 15, 2023 05:43:34 am

We all know when the distance is considered too close, when it’s basically impossible for the defender to move his arm out of the way due to the short distance he is from the ball and how quickly the ball is moving.

On this occasion, the ball came from the corner flag. It’s completely irrelevant whether there was intent, the position of the defenders arm or whether the ball changed direction or not.

The fact is, the ball hit the defenders arm after travelling some way without any real power. The defender lost concentration. It was a penalty.

Could depend on who the Ref is and his own interpretation of the rule, if the Ref happens to be from the Greater Manchester area, his interpretation of the rule may differ slightly from a Ref say from Sussex, when Refereeing a match involving the Football club known as Liverpool FC, there’s always VAR that it’s possible sometimes to decide what is deemed deliberate hand ball or indeed accidental depending on if his mate on the pitch is returning a favour from a previous incident in a altogether different match,

I hope that helps you to understand the ‘arm in natural position’ sh*te !!

YNWA
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #514: Aug 15, 2023 07:09:25 am

Nah the handball rule is an absolute farce mate
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,049 posts | 3431 
      Reply #515: Aug 15, 2023 07:29:48 am
      Nah the handball rule is an absolute farce mate

Here is a question

If Diaz hadn’t flicked the ball would it have been given then ?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,752 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #516: Aug 16, 2023 03:41:03 am
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #517: Aug 17, 2023 02:58:06 am

I wouldn't be happy if given against us. Someone got a head on it from corner and if not his hand then it would've hit his shoulder/chest.

Not a pen for me
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #518: Aug 19, 2023 08:08:47 am
      Quote from HamannsTheMan
      There was a time when a DM wasn’t that important to us because of how good and quick Virgil was. If Fabinho wasn’t playing it wasn’t the end of the world. We also had a lot of success playing three centre mids none of who were natural defensive midfielders but their energy and how quick Virgil was, it didn’t matter. 

Virgil was superb at making recoveries and he was as quick as any attacker in world football.

Since the Pickford assault, he hasn’t been the same player, I think the vast majority would agree with that.  He has certainly lost a yard of pace meaning a defensive midfielder to sit in front of him and give him a little more protection is now absolutely vital.

None of that answers why we are 12 games unbeaten. When Trent has gone walkies, when Konate can't cover for him, it's VVD who has to mop everything up.

After he recovered from the injury, he won us a cup double and helped take the title race to the wire. He's now captain of his club and his country, so clearly his managers don't have an issue with him not being what he was.

Fabinho was as much a part of this team's success story as VVD. Unfortunately as with Fab, it seems that only when he's not there anymore that the job he does every week will be fully appreciated.

Quick Reply