Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Ryan Gravenberch Player Thread (M)

Read 12961 times
      siavashiva and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,028 posts | 529 
      Re: Ryan Gravenberch Player Thread (M)
      Reply #115: Feb 04, 2024 07:16:36 pm
      He wasn't any worse than everybody else in that first half. And it was actually a nice pass for Diaz's goal. Give him a chance and a bit of time.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,049 posts | 3431 
      Reply #116: Feb 04, 2024 07:38:31 pm
      He looks a clueless version of Gini at the moment. Plenty of legs, but struggling to make any sort of impact.

I'd also include Cody in the clueless camp today. Gravenberch ain't getting a consistent run this season. Looks more a player at the moment to bring off the bench later in the game.

He is young and so is Cody - I think today was a tough game to come in for - think Elliot would have been a better shout
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #117: Feb 04, 2024 07:48:33 pm
      If all our midfielders were miraculously fit I doubt we would see much of him.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,778 posts | 6725 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #118: Feb 04, 2024 08:11:21 pm
      When he first got here thought, here we go, we got some player here...thanks Bayern ya fuckwits!

Apart from that, when given his chance he's shown a moment of brilliance here and there where you think again, here we goooo.

But he just seems too lightweight and flimsy for the PL. Seems to lose the ball in the tackle a lot and gets dispossessed quite easily.

Frustrating!
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,755 posts | 863 
      Reply #119: Feb 04, 2024 08:22:57 pm
      How about we wait until he has had a pre season with us and a consistent run in the team
      Don't need a preseason to look like you're trying. My problem with him is how he's just 2 notches under the pace of everybody else in the team. Loses the ball and jogs around, by far the midfielder who pressed the least out of the 3 that started the game today, his thought process also seemed to be working a notch or two slower than the rest of the people around him during the game which was just synonymous with us losing the ball every time he had it because Arsenal had a very good press on from the first minute of the game.

Does he has the skillset to succeed? Sure. However, at the moment, he's playing luxury football. Wants to receive the ball, raise his head, decide what to do, then pass it or start a run with it. Loses the ball and calmly jogs back. That stuff can look okay against a team who can't press and backed away from us every time we got the ball like Chelsea did, but it wont against teams that press you and look to win the ball back immediately after losing it.

Not saying he hasn't had good games since coming in or that he's never gonna get better, but right now, after more than half a season gone, seeing his name amongst the starting 11 never inspires me confidence. I saw the starting 11 about half an hour before the game and literally thought to myself ''Arsenal are going to target Gravenberch'' and that's essentially what they did until he was forced out. Doesn't change the fact that the whole team was off the boil, but yeah.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,028 posts | 529 
      Reply #120: Feb 04, 2024 08:34:03 pm
      Don't need a preseason to look like you're trying. My problem with him is how he's just 2 notches under the pace of everybody else in the team. Loses the ball and jogs around, by far the midfielder who pressed the least out of the 3 that started the game today, his thought process also seemed to be working a notch or two slower than the rest of the people around him during the game which was just synonymous with us losing the ball every time he had it because Arsenal had a very good press on from the first minute of the game.

Does he has the skillset to succeed? Sure. However, at the moment, he's playing luxury football. Wants to receive the ball, raise his head, decide what to do, then pass it or start a run with it. Loses the ball and calmly jogs back. That stuff can look okay against a team who can't press and backed away from us every time we got the ball like Chelsea did, but it wont against teams that press you and look to win the ball back immediately after losing it.

Not saying he hasn't had good games since coming in or that he's never gonna get better, but right now, after more than half a season gone, seeing his name amongst the starting 11 never inspires me confidence. I saw the starting 11 about half an hour before the game and literally thought to myself ''Arsenal are going to target Gravenberch'' and that's essentially what they did until he was forced out. Doesn't change the fact that the whole team was off the boil, but yeah.

I wasn't watching him specifically too much but I didn't really notice that. I remember he lost a header on the edge of our box but then did really well to recover and get in behind Virgil to make a saving tackle. Think he is maybe a player that looks quite casual and lightweight cos of the way he runs - long legs and a bit spindly looking - but I'm not sure he actually he is lazy or lacking in desire. I'll need to watch him a bit more closely when he plays but at this stage the jury is still a long way from being in on him.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 841 posts | 165 
      Reply #121: Feb 05, 2024 03:32:45 pm
      The frustrations and concerns are understandable, he doesn't really fit in with the style we're so used to seeing from our midfielders. Relentless pressing and sprinting from one side of the pitch to the other isn't his game, he can only show his qualities when he has enough of the ball to feet.....which hasn't been all that often.

That said he is still a 21 year old adjusting to the pace and intensity of a league, let's see where he's at come the end of the season and what the new manager's plans for him are.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,244 posts | 922 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #122: Feb 05, 2024 04:01:34 pm
      Words fail me after yesterday’s performance
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #123: Feb 05, 2024 04:12:33 pm
      Words fail me after yesterday’s performance

Let’s continue to use him as an impact sub because a few cameos have been superb. He’s not ready yet for these big games.

Then again Jones and a few others didn’t cover themselves in glory either.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 841 posts | 165 
      Reply #124: Feb 05, 2024 04:16:50 pm
      Jones gets a lot of plaudits for a guy that goes missing in big games.

Didn't really do anything yesterday, just like in the reverse game at Anfield......not to mention being one of the worst players on the pitch at the Emptyhad.

Hasn't quite managed to transfer his form in the cup games over to the league games.

The thing he excels at (off the ball work) are really minimum requirement in a Klopp side.
      Kurt Cocaine
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 755 posts | 128 
      Reply #125: Feb 05, 2024 06:01:40 pm
      It took a seasoned pro like Endo months to adjust to the rigours of the PL.
      Ryan will get there. As has been mentioned, a good pre-season will do him no harm....
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,180 posts | 1097 
      Reply #126: Feb 05, 2024 06:08:23 pm
      It took a seasoned pro like Endo months to adjust to the rigours of the PL.
      Ryan will get there. As has been mentioned, a good pre-season will do him no harm....
      Way different players though. Endo is built for rigors of physical premiership football. Tbf, the mad son of a bi*ch often looks for contact.

Not saying Ryan isn't a premier league player. But his skill set seems to be an odd one for our team. Looks to carry the ball and doesn't work hard off the ball. Maybe in time he gets with the program, but he's been way off pace for a while now and definitely stands out in a bad way.

Still young
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #127: Feb 05, 2024 10:37:08 pm
      Be really interesting to see if the new manager sees a future for him here.

The names we're being linked with are people who'd have seen him to some degree here in England or in Germany. Might not have actually worked with him but will have some idea of his game.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,310 posts | 775 
      Reply #128: Feb 05, 2024 10:52:47 pm
      Be really interesting to see if the new manager sees a future for him here.

The names we're being linked with are people who'd have seen him to some degree here in England or in Germany. Might not have actually worked with him but will have some idea of his game.
      Sorry can't see it.....recruitment is always a gamble, and I suspect we've got it wrong with this lad.....Again, I get no joy in hammering him...I just can't see anything that get's him into a Liverpool team.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #129: Feb 06, 2024 01:21:31 pm
      Sorry can't see it.....recruitment is always a gamble, and I suspect we've got it wrong with this lad.....Again, I get no joy in hammering him...I just can't see anything that get's him into a Liverpool team.

He had a good spell in the team between the Everton and United games. It's the only time he's really had a decent amount of starts in the League. If memory serves me right, he picked up an injury during the United game (not a long term injury) and he's struggled to regain that form again.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 841 posts | 165 
      Reply #130: Feb 07, 2024 09:48:52 am
      Looks better playing on the left side. He's the only one in our midfield that's had to play both.

When Szobo and Harvey play, it's always from the right. When Jones plays it's always from the left. Obviously not an excuse to why he's flattered to deceive recently but I think at this stage of his career and how early it is in his time here, we're still experimenting.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #131: Feb 17, 2024 08:27:59 pm
      Better performance today stepped up well
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,485 posts | 217 
      Reply #132: Feb 17, 2024 08:30:03 pm
      This is his moment, sometimes people get more opportunities because of injuries

Grab the brass knuckle and run with it
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #133: Feb 18, 2024 03:13:06 am
      He played well. Think he gets a little too much stick. He’s pretty slick with the ball at his feet.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #134: Feb 19, 2024 05:48:30 pm
      I've been pretty disappointed by Grav this season.  It looks like he has everything in his locker to be an elite player, but his application seems to be his limiting factor.  He may just be one of those "A-level talent, B-level mindset" players.  However, he's still very young and has time on his side.  If he can take a page out of Curtis Jones book and adopt his level of work rate, selflessness, and commitment to the team then I'm confident he'll become a star for us. 
      Kurt Cocaine
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 755 posts | 128 
      Reply #135: Feb 25, 2024 07:06:46 pm
      They did an x-ray [on Gravenberch], it is not broken but the ligaments got something. I actually feel really bad, but everything else is really good."
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,755 posts | 863 
      Reply #136: Feb 25, 2024 07:27:15 pm
      Cheating c**t Caicedo should've been sent off for that challenge. But Jones' foot slides off the ball, he's not even late and its a red card. Mac puts in a similar challenge, but much earlier and it's a red card. Joke
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #137: Feb 25, 2024 07:34:38 pm
      Lads gonna be out for a while ain't he. :(

Quick Reply