Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Villa?

Alisson Becker
      1 (1.5%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      12 (17.6%)
      Joe Gomez
      7 (10.3%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)
      Alexis Mac Allister
      2 (2.9%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Dominik Szoboszlai
      35 (51.5%)
      Luis Diaz
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      2 (2.9%)
      Darwin Núñez
      9 (13.2%)
      Wataru Endo
      0 (0%)
      Cody Gakpo
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      0 (0%)
      Jarell Quansah
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Voting closed: Sep 07, 2023 03:54:50 pm

Liverpool 3-0 Aston Villa: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 5831 times
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Re: Live: Liverpool V Aston Villa
      Reply #161: Sep 03, 2023 04:18:59 pm
      Great game by the Reds.  How nice to not have to fight back from going down early?!  Also, nice to end the match with 11 players. 

I thought Gomez and Matip did very well as the CB pair.  Mac looked great as the #6.  TAA very good in the hybrid role.  Szobo MotM for me for the stunning goal to open the scoring along with a strong all-round performance. 
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,534 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: Liverpool 3-0 Aston Villa: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #162: Sep 03, 2023 04:19:25 pm
      Chuffed with the cleansheet. Well in lads.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,291 posts | 763 
      Reply #163: Sep 03, 2023 04:21:41 pm
      Seems like a very happy squad....Happy days ahead.
      Don77

• 6,540 posts | 1089 
      Reply #164: Sep 03, 2023 04:27:20 pm
      Dom saying Mo wants to stay. Wants to be here. Encouraging
      Don77

• 6,540 posts | 1089 
      Reply #165: Sep 03, 2023 04:40:53 pm
      We play first away at wolves after the break. Win that and go top and see how city get on at West ham later in the day.

Very pleased with our start to the season. Much better than last season and whilst we have a number of issues there are alot of things to be positive about.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #166: Sep 03, 2023 04:45:17 pm
      Easy three points and easy 3-0 win.

Don't think there were any poor performances from those in red, villa on the other hand were utter sh*te.

No complaints from our start of the season so far.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #167: Sep 03, 2023 04:47:21 pm
      It’s mad to think how much more energy we have in midfield, not to mention the additional technical ability.

£100m for Dom and Mac has to be the bargain of the century

I don’t think we’ve really appreciated how good business it was getting both of those players in.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,379 posts | 2823 
      Reply #168: Sep 03, 2023 04:49:45 pm
      Dom Szoboszlai is the best midfielder in the league
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,342 posts | 1526 
      Reply #169: Sep 03, 2023 04:57:25 pm

And my motm
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,342 posts | 1526 
      Reply #170: Sep 03, 2023 04:59:25 pm
      Made Villa look quite average today.
      Oh sorry,  they are quite average 😂

Especially when they come up against quality
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #171: Sep 03, 2023 04:59:38 pm
      Where's the F***ing positivity? That was a solid performance and i thought we played really well. Still forming new relationships and gelling new players in and we walked it. One thing i am most positive about is we actually have our legs back in midfield. the energy is back and that is what i was concerned about all last Season. All the midfielders i wanted gone are now gone and we have hungry young players in the middle.

As for Gomez, i love the lad. Before that injury he was on fire and playing out of his skin. He's not back there yet but continuous game time could see him return to those heights. He's still only 26 years old. If he can stay injury free for the Season then i have high hopes for him.

The player who has me most excited this Season is Szobozlai. I wanted to chin him when he dived for that penalty against Bournemouth but he has since won me over with his tenacious attitude and drive.

With us signing Gravenberch as well i see us doing very well this Season. Our revitalized midfield was what was missing, that problem has been cured. I genuinely believe we will win the League this Season. Klopp looks happy again and we all know what he can do to players under his tutelage.

When all the players have that energy then it lifts every player around them. The football Klopp plays requires that and we have it back.

It's going to be a great Season. I can just feel it. What i watched today wasn't perfection at all but it was a display of things to come and i loved it.

Have faith my brothers and sisters, we are back.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #172: Sep 03, 2023 05:03:08 pm
      Where's the F***ing positivity? That was a solid performance and i thought we played really well. Still forming new relationships and gelling new players in and we walked it. One thing i am most positive about is we actually have our legs back in midfield. the energy is back and that is what i was concerned about all last Season. All the midfielders i wanted gone are now gone and we have hungry young players in the middle.

As for Gomez, i love the lad. Before that injury he was on fire and playing out of his skin. He's not back there yet but continuous game time could see him return to those heights. He's still only 26 years old. If he can stay injury free for the Season then i have high hopes for him.

The player who has me most excited this Season is Szobozlai. I wanted to chin him when he dived for that penalty against Bournemouth but he has since won me over with his tenacious attitude and drive.

With us signing Gravenberch as well i see us doing very well this Season. Our revitalized midfield was what was missing, that problem has been cured. I genuinely believe we will win the League this Season. Klopp looks happy again and we all know what he can do to players under his tutelage.

When all the players have that energy then it lifts every player around them. The football Klopp plays requires that and we have it back.

It's going to be a great Season. I can just feel it. What i watched today wasn't perfection at all but it was a display of things to come and i loved it.

Have faith my brothers and sisters, we are back.

Imagine this team with Virgil, Konate and Gravenberch in it. 😂

Smallest squad in the league but a lot of young hungry players and that midfield engine upgrade will have Liverpool in the title fight. No doubt. COYR
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,695 posts | 3714 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #173: Sep 03, 2023 05:16:18 pm
      If we are lucky with injuries, we will be there guys.

The new midfield gave us new sense of life.

Ynwa
      Brian57953956
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #174: Sep 03, 2023 05:16:33 pm
      Just so many winners on that pitch for us, Villa were utterly terrified of us. Nobody had a bad game, only slight down note was Trent limping off. You can really sense the belief in the ground, Nunez always has to play for his spirit if nothing else. Matip and Gomez: magisterial. These boys might do great things.
      rossyred

• 9,290 posts | 1664 
      Reply #175: Sep 03, 2023 05:24:58 pm
      Can't argue with the start to season . Hopefully  Trent injury not to bad and clean sheet to boot.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #176: Sep 03, 2023 05:26:40 pm
      Hopefully  Trent injury not to bad

Just in time to tell England to F**k off
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,997 posts | 3424 
      Reply #177: Sep 03, 2023 05:50:46 pm
      Excellent professional performance, Gomez and Matip excellent, both full backs superb , solid from Gary and Jones in the middle , front three were very good , caused lots of problems but the star is Dom - what a star he is
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #178: Sep 03, 2023 05:51:36 pm
      Well, well, well, it looks like this side has got some legs in them after all. That was very much a performance of old with the harrying of their defence, the complete control of the game and a comfortable victory. Still had the odd moment of getting caught at the back, either dallying on the ball or just a lapse of concentration but overall it was a great game of football from a Liverpool fans point of view.

The season was written off before it started and we were told that having Chelsea, Newcastle and Villa in our opening four games would see us way off the pace. But here we are going into the international break unbeaten, right on City's heels and improving all the time. The transfer window was considered rather meh by a fair few with the usual complaints of us not spending enough and missing out on "world class" players but actually it's looking like our signings are working out so far, while other targets are actually making a right balls up of their moves. And just think a couple of years ago we were told an injury to Van Dijk would derail us, here we are today without our number 4 and keeping a clean sheet for the first time this season.

All in all, plenty of positives for us to build upon.

Alisson - hopefully he wore some suncream today because all he had to do today was catch a nice tan and make the odd regulation save, with one decent save coming from the Matty Cash header. But other than that it was get the deckchair out for our number 1.

Alexander-Arnold - seems to have grown into the captains armband over the last couple of games, showing real signs of leadership. And today was his best performance for a very long time. I thought there were a couple of times where this new role hindered us because there was no out ball on the right wing but that's not on him, that's the tactic we're now using. And his passing was somewhere back to the standard we expect.

Matip - another solid performance from the big man, Watkins didn't touch the ball and Duran was limited to two shots from really difficult angles. Missed an absolute sitter but we'll give him a pass for that because he did what he's in the team to do and that's keep the opposition out.

Gomez - bar one stumble that let them in in the first half, he was boss. He's been given plenty of criticism down the years, from me as much as anybody, but credit where it's due. And with Van Dijk being suspended for a couple of games as well as the Konate injury, it's a chance for Joe to at least give Jürgen a difficult decision moving forward. And it was very noticable that when he was moved to right back, we went back to a traditional back four and didn't expect Joey to do what Trent does.

Robertson - I was so annoyed by Robbo after the Newcastle game, he was so F***ing negative and wasteful but today it was the opposite. He was on the front foot, he was offering us an out down the left and was very good defensively. Much improved.

Szoboszlai - got caught dallying on the ball in the box and a miscontrol gave them a chance but two minor errors that didn't result in anything too costly. Everything else today was a joy to watch and what a strike to open his account, our first of the game and 900th under Jürgen. Mighty impressive showing.

Mac Allister - this is the sort of game that he should be excelling in. I've been critical of him (and Dom) so far this year when we haven't had the ball but with the ball they've showed their qualities and that's why this is the sort of game Mac should be excelling in. We dominated the ball for the large parts and he was able to just keep the ball ticking over. One of those under the radar performances that I like.

Jones - didn't do much good or bad. And I know there's plenty who are adamant we can do much better than him. But it's first game back after a little niggle so can let him off a little. Still think he'll have a big part to play in us winning the League this year.

Salah - people wanna sell this fella? The mind boggles. Could have had a hattrick of assits if Darwin had his goalscoring boots on. By the way, what an understanding those two have together. It's almost Gerrard/Torres level. And of course he got his customary goal. Yeah, flog him. We'll be better without him. Will we F**k. Offer that little Egyptian a new contract to keep him here for another five years.

Nunez - was a threat throughout but couldn't finish today. Had enough opportunities but none of them fell his way. But like all good forwards, he was still getting in those positions. And effectively got two assits, the Salah goal and the Cash own goal. If he capped today with a goal then I reckon most would be giving him man of the mach. If we cocked it up today, the knives would be out because he missed those chances. One of those sort of performances.

Diaz - was a constant thorn in their side for the first half hour or so but as is often the case with Lucho he faded out of the game. But at the times he was influencial, he was almost unplayable. Such an enjoyable player to watch when he's terrifying defenders the way he does.

Elliott - I feel like a parrot with our Harv is concerned, lots of good stuff without the ball and not too much quality with it. I think he's becoming the new Henderson almost. Plenty of huff and puff but not much else. But I don't knock him for it because all teams need those that do the donkey work and the thankless jobs.

Gakpo - was probably his best performance of the season but that isn't saying too much. Some nice link up play. But by the time he came on, the game was dead anyway.

Jota - was the one poor showing today. I don't know if he made a successful pass. Looked totally out of sorts.

Quansah - looked at complete ease when he came on. I know the game was all but done but Villa could have tried to go after a young lad on his home debut but he was up to the challenge. And the rest of the team looked comfortable with him, trusting him as well. First player in our history who's surname begins with the letter Q as well, so he'll always have a place in history no matter how his career actually pans out.

Endo - 100% record continues. What an inspired signing he's turning out to be.

Overall, bouncing again.

And I'm F***ing glad that Jürgen Klopp is a Red.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #179: Sep 03, 2023 06:20:57 pm
      Out all morn and missed the build up and first half.
      Thought we were comfortable in the 2nd half, even when 3-0 up we were stroking it over and back at the back and Villa were just sitting off, if was a Villa fan would be pissed with that. Keeping the score down maybe.
      Nice balance between Mac and Szobo in the middle and Jones did fine.
      Up front had threat though Jota wasn't great when he came on, and Mo maybe should've got more than one - sell !!! :) that's a joke before get jumped on.
      Gomez and Matip seemed comfortable.
      Jürgen looked very pleased at the end, waving and smiling and doing the chest pumps. The man is charisma on legs.
      3 more points !
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #180: Sep 03, 2023 06:46:47 pm
      disappointed to see  some negative comments about Darwin i missed the game but saw some highlights and he had a big part in two goals.
      3 goals clean sheet not sure how much more Jürgen and the boys could do.
      cracking start to the season we look like our midfield can now compete with any team and now we have some depth I dont think we can compete with City ......I think we will beat them
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,997 posts | 3424 
      Re: Live: Liverpool V Aston Villa
      Reply #181: Sep 03, 2023 07:37:43 pm
      Nunez doing a Nunez. I'm not sold on last weeks performance. He causes chaos but if he doesn't finish these it's pointless.

He should have three today but he has zero. It seems like he needs five chances to score one. Last week looked so positive but he's back to missing sitters

What a dull life you must lead
      harrydunn08

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #182: Sep 03, 2023 08:29:38 pm

He's gonna be a F***ing superstar!!  What a signing?!?!
      riise' boot boy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 585 posts | 32 
      Reply #183: Sep 03, 2023 09:41:44 pm
      Great win that.
      Not many teams will win that comfortably against a good Villa side, we could have scored more.
      Gave Motm to Gomez but szoboszlai was fantastic again.

Quick Reply