Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Midfield Reloaded: Klopp 2.0

Read 7338 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,614 posts | 3846 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Midfield Reloaded: Klopp 2.0
      Sep 04, 2023 02:05:08 pm

Mac Allister                                Szoboszlai
                    Gravenberch                                 Elliott
                        Jones

Thiago
                                                Endo
                                               Bajcetic

2023: Midfield Reloaded.

Plenty of options and an element of tactical flexibility not seen at the club in a long time.
      Szoboszlai and Mac Allister already hit the ground running and Endo on a 100% record.

How are you feeling about the rebuild?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,546 posts | 1776 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: Midfield Reloaded: Klopp 2.0
      Reply #1: Sep 04, 2023 02:11:26 pm

Jones

Thiago
                                                Endo
                                               Bajcetic

Plenty of options and an element of tactical flexibility not seen at the club in a long time.
      Szoboszlai and Mac Allister already hit the ground running and Endo on a 100% record.

Love it.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #2: Sep 04, 2023 02:15:16 pm

Jones

Thiago
                                                Endo
                                               Bajcetic

All of the midfielders seem to be a hybrid of 6 and 8 meaning they can easily drop into the DM role arhat from Szobo and Elliot who are more attacking.

May well be that this is the way forward and not playing with a pure DM, it certainly gives us more flexibility and options in fact it was noticeable yesterday that when Mac went forward Curtis would drop into the 6 role.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #3: Sep 04, 2023 02:18:41 pm
      good players can player in different positions and players need to be flexible these days. In someways it a funny conversation to have if you look at Phil Neal and Alan Kennedy scoring in European cup finals as died in the wool fullbacks not even classed as wingbacks.
      Now the window has closed we appear to be in our strongest position for sometime in midfield and if Thiago can over come his injuries we have a great deal of quality available. looking good for this season
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,614 posts | 3846 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4: Sep 04, 2023 02:34:30 pm
      All of the midfielders seem to be a hybrid of 6 and 8 meaning they can easily drop into the DM role arhat from Szobo and Elliot who are more attacking.

May well be that this is the way forward and not playing with a pure DM, it certainly gives us more flexibility and options in fact it was noticeable yesterday that when Mac went forward Curtis would drop into the 6 role.

Having to play a deeper midfield when down to 10 men showed that the squad is there for a 1-4-2-3-1
      and that Szoboszlai can play anywhere in midfield.

Hopefully we see it at some point but it's definitely an interesting season to look forward to with all the options now.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5006 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #5: Sep 04, 2023 02:51:30 pm

Think you got your wires crossed fella in my last post, I wasn’t suggesting you criticised any of the new lads, I was pointing out how negative you and others were during the transfer shenanigans, anyway it doesn’t matter now that’s gone.

Interesting thoughts on how playing without a DM as such, thinking about it, it does make sense, from a attacking standpoint, Trent inverted being another tweak as we have seen, as the season progresses we’ll see what system is preferred and depending on who we play and how they themselves set up,
      Previously we only had plan A, bit different now that we have a B and maybe even a C ??

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,710 posts | 3717 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #6: Sep 04, 2023 03:04:37 pm
      I will support Endo till the end of time but in that midfield, a little better DM would have been a stunning transformation to our midfield.

Having said that, Mac Allister has fitted very well in that slot.

Come on, prove us wrong and mostly other fans.
      « Last Edit: Sep 04, 2023 03:42:02 pm by clint_call01 »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,614 posts | 3846 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #7: Sep 04, 2023 03:44:20 pm
      I will support Endo till the end of time but in that midfield, a little better DM would have been a stunning transformation to our midfield.

Having said that, Mac Allister has fitted very well in that slot.

Come on, prove us wrong and mostly other fans.

https://twitter.com/Lfc__vision/status/1698352299863654711?s=20
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,020 posts | 3352 
      Reply #8: Sep 04, 2023 05:35:15 pm
      So far so good.

And what it makes it even better is we’ve been getting results with very staggered versions of the new midfield.

Chelsea we didn’t have Endo in our sights because we were still after other targets. Bournemouth we lost Mac Allister for a long time due to the red card. We had to change the midfield against Newcastle following the red card to Van Dijk.

The first time we’ve been able to play with a settled midfield for the full game was Villa and look at how well we played there.

Get a settled midfield and we’re in full F***ing flow.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #9: Sep 04, 2023 05:58:41 pm

I'm encouraged by our early season form but I'm still nervous about our lack of an obvious 6 myself. I feel like the club have missed a trick in not bringing in a proven player in that role and that it may prove to be the missing piece that could make the difference between top 4 and a title challenge. Even yesterday I felt we were quite open and could be got at but Villa's final ball was poor. 
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,073 posts | 3440 
      Reply #10: Sep 04, 2023 06:03:43 pm
      I'm encouraged by our early season form but I'm still nervous about our lack of an obvious 6 myself. I feel like the club have missed a trick in not bringing in a proven player in that role and that it may prove to be the missing piece that could make the difference between top 4 and a title challenge. Even yesterday I felt we were quite open and could be got at but Villa's final ball was poor.

Looking at the way we played yesterday it seems that Klopp is playing more of a two there as opposed to a single 6 - a lot of times it was Gary and Curtis next to each other with Dom higher up - which then meant TAA played more as a CB at times and was pinging balls from there
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,710 posts | 3717 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #11: Sep 04, 2023 08:23:10 pm
      Looking at the way we played yesterday it seems that Klopp is playing more of a two there as opposed to a single 6 - a lot of times it was Gary and Curtis next to each other with Dom higher up - which then meant TAA played more as a CB at times and was pinging balls from there

Trent's passing is fantastic and pinpoint accuracy. He will contribute a lot too, to our new superb midfield.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #12: Sep 04, 2023 08:24:42 pm

Jones

Thiago
                                                Endo
                                               Bajcetic

I'm delighted.

What we've ended up doing naked more sense than spending £100M on a single DM.

Options all over the place in midfield now and really exciting to see how this develops this season.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6741 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #13: Sep 05, 2023 02:25:28 am
      I'm F***ing buzzing

All systems go

Just please lads, come back from International Duty injury free and primed to strike!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,546 posts | 1776 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #14: Sep 05, 2023 09:19:01 am
      I'm delighted.

Options all over the place in midfield now and really exciting to see how this develops this season.

Indeed.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #15: Sep 05, 2023 03:46:37 pm

I think that against teams like City and Arsenal it's particularly important to have a very good defensively minded CM. It's hard to judge our start (and the formation/make up of our midfield in some ways because of the sendings off). Yes we can play with two deeper middies but it would not surprise me if the club are shopping for one in the January window. The enormous bid for Caicedo (and eventual/final bid for Lavia) would suggest tat it's a very important position for Klopp. 
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,029 posts | 533 
      Reply #16: Sep 05, 2023 09:34:29 pm
      I like it. We've brought in quality players and also there is a fresher, hungrier vibe about the club, at least it seems that way looking in.

I'm not too worried about the DM position. I have a feeling Endo is gonna be good there. But we also have other options - Mac, Thiago n Baj. Plus, looking at his stats, Grav can probably play there too. Out of all those options, I'd be amazed if Jürgen can't find a decent DM to see us through at least this season.

Basically, I think Grav n Endo look decent replacements for Hendo n Fab (and Milner), which is what we needed once they left. Meanwhile, Dom n Mac were already major upgrades on Keita n Ox. Plus they all have decent injury records. So our midfield is not just younger, but better, than it was.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,387 posts | 2823 
      Reply #17: Sep 05, 2023 09:57:07 pm
      Szoboszlai and Mac Allister look unbelievable business already, slotted in very well and both will get better.

Still feels like there's a bit of a question mark over the 6 - getting one of our main two targets in that position would have made it the perfect midfield rebuild. Hopefully Bajcetic can step up and Thiago can stay fit for a few games to bridge that gap.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,064 posts | 2110 
      Reply #18: Sep 05, 2023 10:25:42 pm
      I'm delighted.

Yeah in fairness to you Si you called that early on when Bellingham was still the sexy option and we were all cursing him going to Madrid instead
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #19: Sep 05, 2023 11:13:01 pm
      Szoboszlai and Mac Allister look unbelievable business already, slotted in very well and both will get better.

Still feels like there's a bit of a question mark over the 6 - getting one of our main two targets in that position would have made it the perfect midfield rebuild. Hopefully Bajcetic can step up and Thiago can stay fit for a few games to bridge that gap.

Endo is going to surprise us - watch this space
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #20: Sep 06, 2023 05:39:31 am
      Yeah in fairness to you Si you called that early on when Bellingham was still the sexy option and we were all cursing him going to Madrid instead

Ha ;D

I hadn't even thought of that and the post wasn't some sort of I told you all so but you know  :lmao:
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,122 posts | 450 
      Reply #21: Sep 06, 2023 12:20:22 pm
      I think we have had a good window that can be potentially be great.  2 brilliant players and the other two have had no preseason so have to hold my opinion on them for a couple of months. 

Considering we wiped the midfield clean looks a very good.
      ToshackKeeganOneNil
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 561 posts | 110 
      Reply #22: Sep 06, 2023 06:28:22 pm
      Obviously it's early days but it's already looking exciting. If we can just steady the ship at the back then we'll be set to challenge ADFC full on (or at least until they get demoted to League Two for juicing).

Quick Reply