Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Midfield Reloaded: Klopp 2.0

Read 7346 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Re: Midfield Reloaded: Klopp 2.0
      Reply #46: Oct 09, 2023 05:57:34 pm
      It certainly feels like we are a starter short in midfield. If we did have a solid number 6, we would actually look really really good in midfield

It’s much better than last season but to me it seems like we have the numbers in midfield but not the quality in front of the defence

From what I have seen our three new cm this season are easily our best on there, then we have jones and Harvey who are ok and then Enzo who seems a bit meh but he has a cool name so it’s ok and Thiago

Baj is there too, hope he can be the player we need in this moment

But it feels like a couple could go and a couple of number 6 players is what would be perfect

Fully agree mate. We are a quality 6 away from being in great shape. Particularly against the better sides, it’s a must.
      Macallister has done alright but he isn’t particularly athletic and sometimes he gets caught on the ball. His best work is a little higher up the pitch.
      Endo still feels like a bit of a panic buy to me, the fact Klopp hasn’t given him significant minutes in the prem suggests he doesn’t think he is ready. Now he may turn out to be Robertson mark 2 or perhaps the next Fabinho but we need him to be ready pretty quickly.
      Personally I think they will buy another 6 in January. Perhaps it will be Andre although, I think a player like Dacoure would come and be a ready made, hit the ground running acquisition who could help us contend fir the title (assuming we’re in the running come January)
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,080 posts | 3442 
      Reply #47: Oct 09, 2023 06:18:26 pm
      Fully agree mate. We are a quality 6 away from being in great shape. Particularly against the better sides, it’s a must.
      Macallister has done alright but he isn’t particularly athletic and sometimes he gets caught on the ball. His best work is a little higher up the pitch.
      Endo still feels like a bit of a panic buy to me, the fact Klopp hasn’t given him significant minutes in the prem suggests he doesn’t think he is ready. Now he may turn out to be Robertson mark 2 or perhaps the next Fabinho but we need him to be ready pretty quickly.
      Personally I think they will buy another 6 in January. Perhaps it will be Andre although, I think a player like Dacoure would come and be a ready made, hit the ground running acquisition who could help us contend fir the title (assuming we’re in the running come January)

I think if the club were looking to get Dacoure then he would have arrived in the summer hence why I think the Andre deal will be done
      rossyred

• 9,294 posts | 1665 
      Reply #48: Oct 09, 2023 09:12:44 pm
      Don't think you go from willing to spend 100m to not filling that position adequately.  Bajetic clearly has some issues probably around growing at his age as Stevie did . Hoping for some reinforcements January
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 318 posts | 80 
      Reply #49: Oct 10, 2023 12:08:55 pm
      The ease with which forwards blow past pace-challenged Macallister is frightening. In a league that emphasizes frontline speed, this is LFC's answer?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,260 posts | 4933 
      Reply #50: Oct 11, 2023 07:41:14 am
      I've missed the last couple games due to work.

Seems like Jürgen's plan is to set the midfield up with attack in mind and no real 6 as most of the season it's been MacAllister but then any of the three has drifted in to cover when needed.

Will be grand against most sides in the league but we could come unstuck against the best playing this way.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #51: Oct 11, 2023 07:29:05 pm
      We have been playing well, but just not getting full points in recent matches due to various other reasons.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,710 posts | 3717 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #52: Oct 12, 2023 07:16:37 am
      We have been playing well, but just not getting full points in recent matches due to various other reasons.

Totally agree, we will be there near the top but I think we lack a top signing defensively that will take us to the apex.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,755 posts | 863 
      Reply #53: Dec 18, 2023 02:13:01 pm
      We still sport one of the major issues the midfield had before last summer which is that it doesn't create enough for the guys up front. Our most creative midfielder is still our right-back. Yesterday, against United, was a prime example of this. The only moments you felt something might happen was when TAA had the ball.

Now I understand that Mac is out, and Szobo's form fell off a cliff, but still. This has been an issue for us for at least a month now. Go back and watch some of our recent games. Unless someone is coming up with a brilliant individual piece of play then it seems we are stuck wasting our possession. Think Elliott against Palace, the four goals against Fulham, the two goals v Sheffield (a corner and a that Szoboszlai goal).

Is it a tactical problem or just the midfield underperforming in that area because of various players forms? Or a mix of both? Anyway, its pretty frustrating watching Salah having to drop deep to trying and create something and its always indicative of problems for us (there was plenty of that last season).

This ongoing problem is also why I tend to think that moving TAA to RCM wouldn't be the worst idea ever. I don't care about his crosses from next to the touchline, most of them already come from that area near the half space which a role as an RCM wouldn't necessarily deprive him of. It also wouldn't stop him from drifting wide when he needs to. Playing him at RCM would have him involved a bit more centrally which in my opinion is where he is at his best. Good shot, good link up play, creative in lots of space but also in tighter ones right in front of the box. Anyway, I know lots of people don't like this idea, but I think that had TAA been playing for Guardiola or a number of other managers, he'd have been an RCM for a couple of seasons now.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,030 posts | 533 
      Reply #54: Jan 25, 2024 12:45:41 am
      I think this may be the strongest squad we've had under Jürgen. Not the strongest first 11, cos no Sadio n Bobby, but the strength in depth is the best.

Today we had Mo out, Dom n Endo out, and played our 2nd choice RB, 2nd choice keeper, 3rd choice LB and 4th choice CB. And hardly noticed the difference. We have never been this strong with so many first choice players out.

Quick Reply