Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Sack Southgate

Southgate out
      3 (21.4%)
      Southgate in
      2 (14.3%)
      Not bothered
      9 (64.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Gareth Southgate. Time to go?

Read 4349 times
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,533 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: Gareth Southgate. Time to go?
      Reply #23: Sep 14, 2023 09:15:20 am
      1st england manager to be relegated. Now in the Eufa nations league B.

l o l
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,980 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #24: Sep 14, 2023 02:08:31 pm
      Obviously Pep or Klopp would improve England but neither of them is going to become England manager. It would be good if Pep left City for the England job but we don't want Klopp to leave Liverpool.

I think Southgate has done a reasonably good job, he's the most successful manager in many years, we could argue that he's got better players than some of his predecessors but I don't think that they are much better. The 'golden generation' won nothing. In the 70s when English clubs were winning the European cup almost every year England could not even qualify for tournaments.

I think England are in a similar position to Tottenham with Potchetino, successful but missing out on the trophies. Were Tottenham right to sack Potch? I think most of us would say it was a mistake.

When a manager has been in a job for a long time there will always be fans who want to make a change because they believe that the grass will be greener, I personally don't think England would improve if they replaced Southgate with 1 of the other realistic alternatives.

I don't think he's perfect and there are plenty of decisions that can be criticised but he should definitely be the manager for the European championship.

I agree Klopp wouldn’t be England manager but wouldn’t rule out Pep.

Safegate has done a reasonable as you out  it but still won nothing Gaz. I thought success was judged on winning trophies though?

Our opinions differ significantly on the currently England side, it’s the best side since I’ve been watching England play.  I was only 6 when we won the World Cup so difficult for me to have educated opinion on that side.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,938 posts | 4994 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #25: Sep 15, 2023 11:13:58 am
      Simple fact is Southgate is just another FA puppet, he’s there for cosmetic reasons only, he probably does have the best group of players since Gerrard Scholes era, but look what they won with like minded FA puppets as manager,

Southgate is a ‘Yes’ man, like all the others before him, Ramsey was your last manager who refused to suck the FA’s Cock, ask yourselves why Clough, or Jackie Charlton wasn’t allowed to manage Engurland, Venables was slightly outspoken but he didn’t have the talent Southgate has now,

In Southgate’s defence he has moved the goalposts slightly but he’s far too defensively focused, now imagine that group of players under the tutelage of Klopp or Pep, now that is a different kettle of fish, and either would take Engurland forward and possibly bring success, but alas, that is simply a pipe dream and I’m afraid the FA will continue to employ ‘Yes’ men, even if Southgate were to hand up his waistcoat!!

Ynwfa….You’ll Never win F**k all
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,544 posts | 725 
      Reply #26: Sep 15, 2023 03:59:01 pm
      How long Safegate! be in charge?  7 years is the answer How long do you think he would of lasted in the PL winning nothing?

It’s not saying much is it he’s doing well yet won nothing, your debate has no foundation for trying to see your side of things.

However!!! We might agree on the next question if you give me  YES or NO answer?

Would Pep or Klopp improve England?

How long Safegate! be in charge?  7 years is the answer How long do you think he would of lasted in the PL winning nothing?

So now we've shifted to 'He's been in the job for too long'. Well, there are only 2 competitions you could possibly win as a international coach, one happens every 4 years and one happens every 2. The premier league happens every year and is not a knockout competition.

It’s not saying much is it he’s doing well yet won nothing, your debate has no foundation for trying to see your side of things

My argument does have foundation because

1) Winning a Knockout competition is very difficult.
      2) We have lost 1 qualifier under Gareth (world cup and euros)
      3) We have reached a final, a semi final and quarter final
      4) We have had World class players and world class managers before and did far less

Depends on what you mean by 'improve'.

Would they play nicer football? Most likely.

Would England win the Euros and World Cup? We literally have zero idea if that would happen under Pep or Klopp, as they have all been knocked out of Cup competitions many times already.

This question is also an incredibly pointless one as neither would ever be England manager.

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,980 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #27: Sep 15, 2023 04:06:00 pm

Depends on what you mean by 'improve'.

Would they play nicer football? Most likely.

Would England win the Euros and World Cup? We literally have zero idea if that would happen under Pep or Klopp, as they have all been knocked out of Cup competitions many times already.

This question is also an incredibly pointless one as neither would ever be England manager.

It really is a YES / NO answer mate. Stop going round the houses.  :lmao:
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,544 posts | 725 
      Reply #28: Sep 15, 2023 05:23:28 pm
      It really is a YES / NO answer mate. Stop going round the houses.  :lmao:

Very weird moving of the goalposts here, I already responded to this pointless question a page back. Not sure why you're so stuck on it. https://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,53304.msg2571682.html#msg2571682

What do you mean by IMPROVE??
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,980 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #29: Sep 15, 2023 05:32:02 pm
      Very weird moving of the goalposts here, I already responded to this pointless question a page back. Not sure why you're so stuck on it. https://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,53304.msg2571682.html#msg2571682

What do you mean by IMPROVE??

The only thing weird is you not being able to give a direct answer.

We move on.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,544 posts | 725 
      Reply #30: Sep 15, 2023 06:46:47 pm
      The only thing weird is you not being able to give a direct answer.

We move on.

By 'Improve', are you asking would Pep or Klopp win the World Cup or The Euros for England?

Is that the point you'e trying to make?

If so, then the answer is NO. (as i CLEARLY said previously). I can't definitively say they will win the World Cup with England.

If the only metric for success at international level is winning one of the two Knockout competitions your team competes in then Lionel Scaloni (FORMERLY OF WEST HAM), and Roberto Mancini are the best managers in the world right now.

Now remind us of the glorious managerial career Lionel Scaloni and Roberto Mancini had previously
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #31: Sep 26, 2023 10:15:22 pm
      Quote from Keith Singleton
      I think we have a side capable of winning the Euro and even a World Cup, it’s only the current manager that stopping us really.

You want to sack a manager that has taken you to the quarters semis and a final, of the last three major tournaments. Other countries would love to have such problems.

After all, what else have England "achieved" in the last 60 years?
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,544 posts | 725 
      Reply #32: Sep 27, 2023 09:21:29 pm
      You want to sack a manager that has taken you to the quarters semis and a final, of the last three major tournaments. Other countries would love to have such problems.

After all, what else have England "achieved" in the last 60 years?

you dont get it. THIS time it's the REAL golden generation, not like the time before when we had the Golden Generation with a 'world class' manager. That time it didnt work because the manager wasnt English and didnt have PASH-UN!  :f_tongueincheek:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,199 posts | 8562 
      Reply #33: Oct 01, 2023 04:37:02 pm
      you dont get it. THIS time it's the REAL golden generation, not like the time before when we had the Golden Generation with a 'world class' manager. That time it didnt work because the manager wasnt English and didnt have PASH-UN!  :f_tongueincheek:

Or a nice line in waist coats :laugh:

Quick Reply