Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Is English officiating corrupt?

Read 70221 times
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Re: Is English officiating corrupt?
      Reply #897: Feb 09, 2024 06:32:55 pm
      Not sure about this 'blue card' idea. Could cause muscle injuries as well. Thigh strains etc. Are they supposed to sit for 10 minutes. Just interfering for the sake of it. Will they go to VAR or is there no appeal.

What if already on a yellow, then a blue.What if they commit another yellow...will the Ref play the Joker..

Just sounds like another stupid idea that screws the game up even more.

Nothing wrong with the system as it is. The issue is the players acting like soft ars*s and going down at every little bit of contact Pretending to be hurt and get players booked.

When I was a kid it was a man's game where players didnt show they were hurt ... they had pride , but theyd get you back. ... now its the opposite and gamesmanship and trying any means necessary to gain an advantage ... and its sad !!
      Harrisimo

• 8,407 posts | 1431 
      Reply #898: Feb 09, 2024 06:55:54 pm
      Blue and yellow surely gives you a green!

Have to have two sin bin areas obviously. Can't have a fight in the sin bin. And if your keeper get SB'd, what then, an outfield player goes in goal. Can they get treatment while in the SB or be coached. Force teams to defend. 9 men behind the ball.Produce artificial results.

Said best use is when a player gets a break and is fouled. It's Red if it's the last man, blue for a intentional foul, but not last man. See it all the time, stop a break away, yellow card. 'Take one for the team'. So I will concede that is an issue, whether this 'blue card' thing is the right way to deal with it. Something has to be done.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,288 posts | 937 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #899: Feb 09, 2024 07:47:40 pm
      Also being in the sin bin will cause more injuries……tossers
      Harrisimo

• 8,407 posts | 1431 
      Reply #900: Feb 10, 2024 09:18:52 am
      Have to have two sin bin areas obviously. Can't have a fight in the sin bin. And if your keeper get SB'd, what then, an outfield player goes in goal. Can they get treatment while in the SB or be coached. Force teams to defend. 9 men behind the ball.Produce artificial results.

Said best use is when a player gets a break and is fouled. It's Red if it's the last man, blue for a intentional foul, but not last man. See it all the time, stop a break away, yellow card. 'Take one for the team'. So I will concede that is an issue, whether this 'blue card' thing is the right way to deal with it. Something has to be done.

A deliberate foul when a break is on, I mean we see this almost every game. Gets a yellow, but that's no deterrent. The 'sin bin' plan covers that offence . That and may be OTT dissent. Bringing the 'blue card' into consideration for every decision will cause issues.

Harrisimo

• 8,407 posts | 1431 
      Reply #901: Feb 10, 2024 09:28:44 am

Think they've said players sin binned, (temporary suspension ), will be allowed to warm up in the same way subs on the bench do.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #902: Feb 10, 2024 10:05:04 am
      To the O.P.......

As bears sh*t in woods; as popes are Catholic; as water is wet......so too are english officials corrupt.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,475 posts | 823 
      Reply #903: Feb 10, 2024 10:23:20 am
      A deliberate foul when a break is on, I mean we see this almost every game. Gets a yellow, but that's no deterrent. The 'sin bin' plan covers that offence . That and may be OTT dissent. Bringing the 'blue card' into consideration for every decision will cause issues.
      The so called "taking one for the team" foul you mention  doesn't happen "....almost every game" It's actually very rare. Anyway this blue card proposal is rightly already dead in the water.
      Harrisimo

• 8,407 posts | 1431 
      Reply #904: Feb 10, 2024 10:43:48 am
      The so called "taking one for the team" foul you mention  doesn't happen "....almost every game" It's actually very rare. Anyway this blue card proposal is rightly already dead in the water.

May be not as often as I said but it's not a rare occurrence. 'Tis an issue. And a yellow is not a deterrent. Somebody make a great tackle or a player misplaces a pass and a break is on but the move is stopped by a deliberate foul. Gets a yellow. That's not rare.

Not touting for the introduction of the blue card, just mentioning one issue.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,475 posts | 823 
      Reply #905: Feb 10, 2024 11:48:22 am
      May be not as often as I said but it's not a rare occurrence. 'Tis an issue. And a yellow is not a deterrent. Somebody make a great tackle or a player misplaces a pass and a break is on but the move is stopped by a deliberate foul. Gets a yellow. That's not rare.

Not touting for the introduction of the blue card, just mentioning one issue.
      Without referring to my "Taking one for the team annual 2023/2024"...or "deliberate foul.com"  I can't quantify the number of incidents. It's rare enough for me to suggest there won't be a single case of it across all the fixtures in the Premier league this weekend.
      Have a great day.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,427 posts | 6420 
      Reply #906: Feb 10, 2024 01:44:53 pm
      Without referring to my "Taking one for the team annual 2023/2024"...or "deliberate foul.com"  I can't quantify the number of incidents. It's rare enough for me to suggest there won't be a single case of it across all the fixtures in the Premier league this weekend.
      Have a great day.

You’ve committed the logical fallacy of appeal to ignorance. Just because you are claiming that the assertion is false because there isn’t empirical data doesn’t mean it doesn’t have merit. When you can see something happen with your own eyes and then listen to pundits and former footballers talk about it (taking a foul for the good of the team), it’s reasonable to suggest that there’s an issue there. Obviously no one keeps stats on those sorts of cynical actions. Have a great weekend.
      Harrisimo

• 8,407 posts | 1431 
      Reply #907: Feb 10, 2024 02:05:50 pm
      Have a great day.

Think you may have misunderstood my point.My fault probably. I wasn't talking about a situation were your through on goal and are fouled by the last defender..that's a RED card. No I'm taking about teams getting possession and the quick break is on and the man in possession is fouled. Gets a yellow card. Sometimes called a 'professional foul'.

Jo Gomez I think was booked for it V Arsenal. Does happen a fair bit, mayby not every game but it's not rare. They may be thinking of making that a 'blue card' offence. 10 minutes on the bench.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,475 posts | 823 
      Reply #908: Feb 11, 2024 12:23:10 pm
      You’ve committed the logical fallacy of appeal to ignorance. Just because you are claiming that the assertion is false because there isn’t empirical data doesn’t mean it doesn’t have merit. When you can see something happen with your own eyes and then listen to pundits and former footballers talk about it (taking a foul for the good of the team), it’s reasonable to suggest that there’s an issue there. Obviously no one keeps stats on those sorts of cynical actions. Have a great weekend.
      All getting a tad abstract...perhaps it was remiss of me not to have attached a tongue in cheek emoji?. You of course reaffirm Plato's argument that debate is both stupid and dangerous, therefore inferior to dialectic when attempting to arrive at the truth. I was never, of course denying there was no such thing as "a professional foul"...just they are not as frequent as H. first suggested.
      Weekend going well so far...An Arsenal defeat would be a nice way to round it off :)
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,527 posts | 224 
      Reply #909: Feb 11, 2024 01:36:24 pm
      Terrible idea

Reason being is var has increased correct decisions to what 93 percent ?

So using that as context saying over all decisions are at 93 percent correct (I believe it’s less in general but for the sake of it let’s go for it )

That means almost in 1 every 10 games a ref will make a mistake with the blue card giving a team an advantage for an incorrect decision by giving them an extra man for 10 mins

It’s so stupid that is beggars belief

Fix the fixture schedule, fix offsides and penalties

Fix technology and get the balance right

Yet they do this
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,975 posts | 5035 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #910: Feb 12, 2024 07:00:03 pm
      So the f***in idiots want to introduce a blue card in a attempt to stamp out or lessen descent against the referees, why do these tw*ts keep wanting to F**k the game up, I mean what the F**k is wrong with the arseholes ??

Surely the easiest and probably the most effective solution is to start waving a RED f***in card, a yellow if the offending player swears aggressively or says F**k off….with the added ya Cnut, pr**k, tw*t, nobhead, or anything else, the yellow being his Final warning ??

Why is this not used every week, in every match played, I can only assume that the Referees lack the bollocks to do it, once again these dick heads think introducing further controversy will help stamp abusing the Ref out of the game where in actual fact it’s like pouring fuel on the fire, are they that f***in naive ??

It’s simple FFs, if a player swears directly at the ref, yellow card, if said player follows up with some derogatory comment straight Red, and of, and I betcha it’s stamped out over night, Simples!!!

YNWA
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,062 posts | 547 
      Reply #911: Feb 12, 2024 09:20:14 pm
      Have a great day.

Are you serious? James Milner would like a word.

I don't think we need blue card to deal with it though, it's hardly a major problem. Do it once, you get a yellow. Once you're on a yellow you've got to watch yourself with all subsequent tackles, so the yellow is something of a deterrent. Don't think I've ever come away from a game thinking "well that was ruined by somebody doing a take-one-for-the-team tackle".

Sh*t refereeing, on the other hand, they could do with addressing that.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,475 posts | 823 
      Reply #912: Feb 12, 2024 09:39:19 pm
      Are you serious? James Milner would like a word.

I don't think we need blue card to deal with it though, it's hardly a major problem. Do it once, you get a yellow. Once you're on a yellow you've got to watch yourself with all subsequent tackles, so the yellow is something of a deterrent. Don't think I've ever come away from a game thinking "well that was ruined by somebody doing a take-one-for-the-team tackle".

Sh*t refereeing, on the other hand, they could do with addressing that.
      You've got the wrong end of the stick there SM....I don't support the introduction of a blue card (for any offence)...or for that matter any other coloured card for any offence. The officiating of the game has already become overly convoluted.
      Harrisimo

• 8,407 posts | 1431 
      Reply #913: Feb 12, 2024 09:56:51 pm
      You've got the wrong end of the stick there SM....I don't support the introduction of a blue card (for any offence)...or for that matter any other coloured card for any offence. The officiating of the game has already become overly convoluted.

I broadly agree. But they're looking at the 'pro foul' and dissent. But do they really need another card and a sin bin. If it's judged to be a 'pro foul' then move the free kick 20 yards forward, plus a yellow card.

Dissent, well is it that bad. Get a yellow. Finely tuned motivated players will show emotion and frustration. If they go OTT..a yellow is enough. OTT a second time and it's a red.

There yer go..both issues sorted.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,475 posts | 823 
      Reply #914: Feb 12, 2024 10:16:28 pm
      I broadly agree. But they're looking at the 'pro foul' and dissent. But do they really need another card and a sin bin. If it's judged to be a 'pro foul' then move the free kick 20 yards forward, plus a yellow card.

Dissent, well is it that bad. Get a yellow. Finely tuned motivated players will show emotion and frustration. If they go OTT..a yellow is enough. OTT a second time and it's a red.

There yer go..both issues sorted.
      If it ain't broke etc.etc...Once you introduce the offence of "Pro foul" then all the arguments kick off about how all those incidents are perceived, it's all subjective and would open a can of worms. Swearing at refs?...They are a thick skinned group and are used to it. Loads of players react to refs with F*ck off...the ref's make quick judgements...as we all do in life...Do you mean F*ck off as in frustration...or F*ck off, as in abuse?
      I trust they get it right more often than not....It's not a big deal in the game.
      Harrisimo

• 8,407 posts | 1431 
      Reply #915: Feb 12, 2024 11:07:08 pm
      If it ain't broke etc.etc...Once you introduce the offence of "Pro foul" then all the arguments kick off about how all those incidents are perceived, it's all subjective and would open a can of worms. Swearing at refs?...They are a thick skinned group and are used to it. Loads of players react to refs with F*ck off...the ref's make quick judgements...as we all do in life...Do you mean F*ck off as in frustration...or F*ck off, as in abuse?
      I trust they get it right more often than not....It's not a big deal in the game.

Correct. It's an overreaction, overkill to start putting players into a sin bin. All kinds of manipulation and skullduggery will ensue. Managers don't want it, players obviously don't want it and most importantly, far as I can tell, the bill payers (better known as fans) don't want it.

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,885 posts | 704 
      Reply #916: Feb 13, 2024 08:40:56 am
      Quote from tezmac

Again, this is nothing to do with corruption.

Can't believe the amount of objections to it, it's not even at the trial stage yet, but change always comes with resistance. They've called for it for years, now it's coming they're whinging about it. Only a matter of time before someone screams that having a break for 10 minutes to cool down is affecting his mental health. It's your own fault you headcase, get in the bin and get over it. Count yourself lucky you're only getting a 10 minute break and not an early shower.

Sitting down for that length of time doesn't affect rugby players. It doesn't cause them injuries or affect their mental health. They just get out there 10 minutes later and carry on as normal. I'm open to the idea because there has to be a bigger punishment for the amount of dissent, swearing, and tactical fouling that goes on than just a flimsy yellow card. It's no deterrent whatsoever. And when they do get a card, the ref bottles giving him another yellow because "it's too early", or "there's not enough in it, or "it's too harsh". Crap. When he needs to be booked, book him. If he does it twice, get rid of him. It's his own fault for not heeding the first warning.

This is nothing to do with VAR or any form of technology, it's the on field ref's own judgement. It's not corruption, it's to stop scenes such as City charging at the ref in the last minute baying for blood, for giving them free kicks. Or Roma players baying for the refs head, for not giving them penalties at the Kop end in UEFA Cup ties. How many players were booked for that? 1? 2? Threatening to send 4 of them in the sin bin all at once though, would protect officials and enforce the laws of the game as they should be.

Quote from Harrisimo
      Correct. It's an overreaction, overkill to start putting players into a sin bin. All kinds of manipulation and skullduggery will ensue. Managers don't want it, players obviously don't want it and most importantly, far as I can tell, the bill payers (better known as fans) don't want it.

It doesn't matter what the fans think. If the players act like grown men and behave themselves, there won't be any problem. 
      Harrisimo

• 8,407 posts | 1431 
      Reply #917: Feb 13, 2024 12:09:10 pm
      LFCAW..

Can't seriously suggest that it's just a matter of "Players acting like grown men..and behaving themselves"..Utopia doesn't exist.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,135 posts | 222 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #918: Feb 14, 2024 11:19:13 am

It doesn't matter what the fans think. If the players act like grown men and behave themselves, there won't be any problem.

If everyone stopped getting angry obsessing over power and pulling knifes and guns on each other or waging war on other nations, there wouldn't be any problems & we'd have everlasting peace. It doesn't matter what civilians think.

Clearly judging by this post alone, you've never played the game? Or in fact any game where emotions run high and games are decided by constant injustices beyond your control which goes unaccounted for week after week?
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,135 posts | 222 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #919: Feb 14, 2024 11:29:31 am
      Again, this is nothing to do with corruption.

Can't believe the amount of objections to it, it's not even at the trial stage yet, but change always comes with resistance. They've called for it for years, now it's coming they're whinging about it.

Who is "they"?

"Change always come with resistance" No it doesn't, where was the "resistance" when the discussion to introduce goal line technology was being had or the "resistance" with the newly formed concept of VAR? sh*t change like sin bins will always come with resistance, people have stuck to their opinions for over a year now when we first heard the idea. No one wants it and you're deluded if you think it will help in any way, in fact it'll only make it worst as it'll further expose the incompetency of refs and it'll be guys like you to blame for championing the destruction of the sport.

Quick Reply