Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Toulouse?

Caoimhin Kelleher
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.6%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Luke Chambers
      0 (0%)
      Ryan Gravenberch
      42 (65.6%)
      Wataru Endo
      14 (21.9%)
      Curtis Jones
      1 (1.6%)
      Harvey Elliott
      1 (1.6%)
      Darwin Núñez
      2 (3.1%)
      Diogo Jota
      3 (4.7%)
      Jarell Quansah
      0 (0%)
      Calum Scanlon
      0 (0%)
      Cody Gakpo
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Voting closed: Oct 30, 2023 08:53:34 pm

Liverpool 5-1 Toulouse: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 9718 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,708 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Liverpool 5-1 : In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #184: Oct 27, 2023 10:39:57 am
      Ryan, Endo and Nunez were spot on.

We have a really good foundation for present and future.

Come onnnnn!
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,288 posts | 1402 
      Reply #185: Oct 27, 2023 10:57:59 am
      Any notion or idea that Nunez is some kinda 'crazy horse' striker needs to be nipped. Yeah sometimes seems just as likely to score 4 in a game or miss 4 clear chances. Still gelling in and strikers always take longer to get 'the gig'.

Obviously Klopp has worked him out and Nunez is responding. So much pent up energy, you could plug him in and he's light up half of Bootle. But he could do with being a little bit colder in vital moments. Box office though and could turn out to be a great signing.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,002 posts | 223 
      Reply #186: Oct 27, 2023 11:20:24 am
      Great runs from Jota and a great goal from him
      Harrisimo

• 8,288 posts | 1402 
      Reply #187: Oct 27, 2023 12:42:38 pm

Yeah and it poses a problem for the Boss. Jota is a predator striker, offers something different to Nunez. Handling both will be a challenge to the Boss. Nunez probably gets the nod but it's a very close call.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #188: Oct 27, 2023 05:06:45 pm
      Yeah and it poses a problem for the Boss. Jota is a predator striker, offers something different to Nunez. Handling both will be a challenge to the Boss. Nunez probably gets the nod but it's a very close call.

Personally, I'd rather see Nunez and Jota start with Jota on the left, Nunez down the middle and Mo on the right. Diaz on the bench.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #189: Oct 27, 2023 06:20:01 pm
      I think the great thing is is that each of our forwards are very different.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #190: Oct 27, 2023 07:47:19 pm

That finish was so convincing and so direct. Love him.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,277 posts | 799 
      Reply #191: Oct 27, 2023 08:09:05 pm
      Keep marching on Reds.

I've a mates gaff secured to stay in Dublin for the final should we make it.
      Harrisimo

• 8,288 posts | 1402 
      Reply #192: Oct 27, 2023 08:57:07 pm
      Two of the most glaring misses we'll see all season. The goal line save by Trent, I mean down to the lad panicking more than great defending by Trent.

Then the miss by Nunez. Side steps the defender, then goes round the keeper with ease..hard part completed, open goal... then seemed to rush the finish and hits the post. He probably still can't believe it. I can't either. But I'd back him to be the match winner V Forrest.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #193: Oct 28, 2023 12:12:41 pm
      That really should be that for the group now. With yesterday's win, we're all but confirmed to be in the next round so we can start planning ahead to the knockout stages. And this is very unlike Liverpool in any era, we normally like to make things difficult for ourselves before turning on the style and proving why we are European royalty. But this year, it's been a case of getting it done and dusted quickly.

It wasn't perfect by any stetch, despite a very comfortable performance and a scoreline that did not flatter us at all. It was what has become the norm for us recently where we look as dangerous ever going forward but defensively we still have some question marks. In the middle of the park, it seems like it doesn't matter who plays there right now - we're going to have a standout performance from at least one of the three. Thursday night was two with a third that was solid.

Great to see a few more youngsters get a game as well. I said it about Luke Chambers when he played against Leicester in the Cup, nobody can take it away from him now - he has represented Liverpool Football Club. And the same can now be said for Scanlon and McConnell. They have done what we'd all kill for, the chance to play for our club, the greatest club in the world at the greatest stadium in the world. What a night that must have been for them.

Special European nights at Anfield are to be expected. It won't rank up there with the greatest games in our history but it's one that we should remember for a good while.

Kelleher - probably his worst game in a Liverpool shirt and by some distance. Looked unsure with the ball at his feet and even the goal he didn't really do much to try and put the Toulouse lad off. Just a one off hopefully because we all know he's a quality keeper.

Alexander-Arnold - other than playing the lad onside for their goal, I thought was decent for most of the game. Didn't excel but decent. And I know some don't see him as captain material but one of the things that he has impressed me with this season is the way he's talked the young lads through games. He's done it was Quansah and again with Chambers before the game.

Matip - he's just a class act isn't he? I know they were talking about him being out of contract at the end of this season and hopefully he does sign for another year because his form this year has deserved it.

Gomez - is starting to show signs of being a really important player of this squad. His versatility is vital. Looked good throughout the game against Toulouse. And he seems intent on finally breaking his goalscoring duck. Had a wild effort towards the end of the game.

Chambers - unfortunately the young lad didn't cover himself in glory. Looked decent going forward but defensively left a lot to be desired. Obviously a huge occassion for the kid and it looked like nerves got the better of him.

Jones - a solid performance from him. Maybe a bit more try-hard than he has been recently but still solid. He's another player who is proving their worth to this squad. I think I've said it before about Curtis but it seems like the new additions in the middle of the park have forced him to improve his game.

Endo - first goal for the club and his best overall game in his short career with us so far. Making real progress and starting to show his worth to the squad. European games may be his best option right now as the pace of the domestic games seem a little too quick for him but he's getting there.

Graveberch - said it many times that there's a lot to like about this kid. He reminds a bit of Yaya Toure the way he drives forward with the ball. A big bulky b***ard who is classy with the ball at his feet. Thoroughly deserved his goal and is starting to give Jürgen a real headache over whether or not he starts every game. For me he's been the best of the summer signings.

Elliott - he's very much this generation's Ryan Babel. Comes off the bench and puts in boss performance after boss performance but when he starts he seems to struggle. Admittedly he improved when moving back into the central midfield role but when playing on the right wing I thought he was quite poor.

Nunez - a very much typical performance from our number 9. Moments of brillance along with moments of chaos. Very well taken goal that basically ended the game. Could of had another with that belting run but unfortunately hit the post after rounding the keeper. (thankfully Gravenberch knocked in the rebound)

Jota - really good finish to open the scoring but not much else from Diogo. But I say it a lot about Jota, he's a goalscorer and not much else. I've always said that for me Jota should play centrally and if he isn't then he should be on the bench. His goal came from a central position and it's where he's most dangerous.

Scanlon - he looked really good when he came on and was showing no fear getting up and down the left wing. He really impressed me in his half hour or so. And like I said at the top of the post, he's now played for Liverpool Football Club and nobody can take that away from the kid no matter what happens in his career.

Quansah - didn't have too much to do but he continues to impress. Will be interesting to see what the plan is with him come January/next summer. Do we loan him out to get more minutes under his belt or do we keep him here as our fifth choice centre half. Can't help but smile though when you see so many lads who've come through the youth set up to make the first team.

Gakpo - showed a few signs of his quality and his return to fitness will be another selection option for Jürgen. Like Nunez & Jota, I think he needs to play centrally to get the best out of him. But good to see him back out there.

Salah - didn't see the need in bringing him on when the game was already won but we know Mo wants to play (and score) in every single game. A bit like Everton, he was quite poor with the ball on Thursday but still ends up with a goal to his name. 195 Liverpool goals now, that double hundred is getting ever closer.

McConnell - only a brief cameo for the lad but like the other youngsters who've been given a go at first-team football recently, nobody can take it away from him. He's played for Liverpool Football Club and that has to be the highlight of any players career.

Overall, job done with some real moments of quality. Couple of youngsters getting a run out, some squad players getting minutes into their legs and qualification practically sealed now. Not a bad night to be a Liverpool fan.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Re: Liverpool 5-1 Toulouse: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #194: Oct 29, 2023 09:08:41 am
      Quote from Harrisimo
      Only Nunez can do that, cut inside the defender, waltzed past the keeper..then does a Rosenthal..

Gravenberch had a worse miss at Brighton. Which cost us two points.

This cost us nothing. Reminded me of Mane's miss at Porto in 2019, during the 4-1 win, when he went round the keeper and fired the effort into Row Z. We won so no harm done.

Another step on the way to go across the water in May safely negotiated.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,062 posts | 2110 
      Reply #195: Oct 29, 2023 09:13:33 am

This cost us nothing. Reminded me of Mane's miss at Porto in 2019, during the 4-1 win, when he went round the keeper and fired the effort into Row Z. We won so no harm done.

Nothing in Harrismo's post suggested that he was hinting that it cost us anything.
      « Last Edit: Oct 29, 2023 09:28:42 am by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #196: Oct 29, 2023 10:03:08 am
      That really should be that for the group now. With yesterday's win, we're all but confirmed to be in the next round so we can start planning ahead to the knockout stages. And this is very unlike Liverpool in any era, we normally like to make things difficult for ourselves before turning on the style and proving why we are European royalty. But this year, it's been a case of getting it done and dusted quickly.

It wasn't perfect by any stetch, despite a very comfortable performance and a scoreline that did not flatter us at all. It was what has become the norm for us recently where we look as dangerous ever going forward but defensively we still have some question marks. In the middle of the park, it seems like it doesn't matter who plays there right now - we're going to have a standout performance from at least one of the three. Thursday night was two with a third that was solid.

Great to see a few more youngsters get a game as well. I said it about Luke Chambers when he played against Leicester in the Cup, nobody can take it away from him now - he has represented Liverpool Football Club. And the same can now be said for Scanlon and McConnell. They have done what we'd all kill for, the chance to play for our club, the greatest club in the world at the greatest stadium in the world. What a night that must have been for them.

Special European nights at Anfield are to be expected. It won't rank up there with the greatest games in our history but it's one that we should remember for a good while.

Kelleher - probably his worst game in a Liverpool shirt and by some distance. Looked unsure with the ball at his feet and even the goal he didn't really do much to try and put the Toulouse lad off. Just a one off hopefully because we all know he's a quality keeper.

Alexander-Arnold - other than playing the lad onside for their goal, I thought was decent for most of the game. Didn't excel but decent. And I know some don't see him as captain material but one of the things that he has impressed me with this season is the way he's talked the young lads through games. He's done it was Quansah and again with Chambers before the game.

Matip - he's just a class act isn't he? I know they were talking about him being out of contract at the end of this season and hopefully he does sign for another year because his form this year has deserved it.

Gomez - is starting to show signs of being a really important player of this squad. His versatility is vital. Looked good throughout the game against Toulouse. And he seems intent on finally breaking his goalscoring duck. Had a wild effort towards the end of the game.

Chambers - unfortunately the young lad didn't cover himself in glory. Looked decent going forward but defensively left a lot to be desired. Obviously a huge occassion for the kid and it looked like nerves got the better of him.

Jones - a solid performance from him. Maybe a bit more try-hard than he has been recently but still solid. He's another player who is proving their worth to this squad. I think I've said it before about Curtis but it seems like the new additions in the middle of the park have forced him to improve his game.

Endo - first goal for the club and his best overall game in his short career with us so far. Making real progress and starting to show his worth to the squad. European games may be his best option right now as the pace of the domestic games seem a little too quick for him but he's getting there.

Graveberch - said it many times that there's a lot to like about this kid. He reminds a bit of Yaya Toure the way he drives forward with the ball. A big bulky b***ard who is classy with the ball at his feet. Thoroughly deserved his goal and is starting to give Jürgen a real headache over whether or not he starts every game. For me he's been the best of the summer signings.

Elliott - he's very much this generation's Ryan Babel. Comes off the bench and puts in boss performance after boss performance but when he starts he seems to struggle. Admittedly he improved when moving back into the central midfield role but when playing on the right wing I thought he was quite poor.

Nunez - a very much typical performance from our number 9. Moments of brillance along with moments of chaos. Very well taken goal that basically ended the game. Could of had another with that belting run but unfortunately hit the post after rounding the keeper. (thankfully Gravenberch knocked in the rebound)

Jota - really good finish to open the scoring but not much else from Diogo. But I say it a lot about Jota, he's a goalscorer and not much else. I've always said that for me Jota should play centrally and if he isn't then he should be on the bench. His goal came from a central position and it's where he's most dangerous.

Scanlon - he looked really good when he came on and was showing no fear getting up and down the left wing. He really impressed me in his half hour or so. And like I said at the top of the post, he's now played for Liverpool Football Club and nobody can take that away from the kid no matter what happens in his career.

Quansah - didn't have too much to do but he continues to impress. Will be interesting to see what the plan is with him come January/next summer. Do we loan him out to get more minutes under his belt or do we keep him here as our fifth choice centre half. Can't help but smile though when you see so many lads who've come through the youth set up to make the first team.

Gakpo - showed a few signs of his quality and his return to fitness will be another selection option for Jürgen. Like Nunez & Jota, I think he needs to play centrally to get the best out of him. But good to see him back out there.

Salah - didn't see the need in bringing him on when the game was already won but we know Mo wants to play (and score) in every single game. A bit like Everton, he was quite poor with the ball on Thursday but still ends up with a goal to his name. 195 Liverpool goals now, that double hundred is getting ever closer.

McConnell - only a brief cameo for the lad but like the other youngsters who've been given a go at first-team football recently, nobody can take it away from him. He's played for Liverpool Football Club and that has to be the highlight of any players career.

Overall, job done with some real moments of quality. Couple of youngsters getting a run out, some squad players getting minutes into their legs and qualification practically sealed now. Not a bad night to be a Liverpool fan.

Another interesting read - thanks!
      Harrisimo

• 8,288 posts | 1402 
      Reply #197: Oct 29, 2023 10:37:52 am
      Reports coming out that Diaz's parents in some kind of kidnap drama. Both are safe apparently, but Diaz must be very upset obviously.

No match thread yet. So I'd like to see Endo get a start.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67254528

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #198: Oct 29, 2023 11:00:31 am
      Reports coming out that Diaz's parents in some kind of kidnap drama. Both are safe apparently, but Diaz must be very upset obviously.

No match thread yet. So I'd like to see Endo get a start.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67254528

Mum is safe, dad still missing!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #199: Oct 29, 2023 11:03:29 am

Safely negotiated!

Let's be honest, we should piss the group stage easily.
      Harrisimo

• 8,288 posts | 1402 
      Reply #200: Oct 29, 2023 11:08:14 am

Another site said his Dad is safe after some trouble. Hope it's right but Diaz will need time and might need to go home. Sure the club are on it.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #201: Oct 29, 2023 11:09:56 am
      Another site said his Dad is safe after some trouble. Hope it's right but Diaz will need time and might need to go home. Sure the club are on it.

Just seen Mail link saying he was rescued and two abductors shot dead.

Kind of wait and see, that could change again. Hopefully good news for Diaz though

Harrisimo

• 8,288 posts | 1402 
      Reply #202: Oct 29, 2023 11:17:44 am

Yeah the final in Dublin. Better teams come in from the Champions League obviously. If we make it to the final you'll be able to put up about 20 or so fans..I'll take the shed..
      Harrisimo

• 8,288 posts | 1402 
      Reply #203: Oct 29, 2023 11:33:44 am
      Jones still serving his ban...Boss must've lost the 'get out of jail' free card..

Endo did well t'other night, so I'd be tempted. I mean if we can dominate Forrest..so it wouldn't be some huge risk. Nunez is buzzing. Klopp has got him primed nicely. Jota or Cody might start given the Diaz situation.

2-0.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6728 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #204: Oct 29, 2023 08:26:52 pm
      How'd we do it?

Ezzzzyyyyyyyyyy  :D
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #205: Nov 03, 2023 10:17:03 pm
      Quote from Harrisimo
      Better teams come in from the Champions League obviously.

I'm wary about facing Seville. I notice they're currently 3rd in their group, so unlike everyone else, they probably want to stay there and have another crack at this competition.
      Jscan0121
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #206: Mar 01, 2024 08:37:01 pm
      « Last Edit: Mar 02, 2024 12:33:27 am by Jscan0121 »

Quick Reply