Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Luton?

Alisson Becker
      1 (1.6%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.6%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      5 (7.9%)
      Ibrahima Konaté
      4 (6.3%)
      Ryan Gravenberch
      9 (14.3%)
      Dominik Szoboszlai
      0 (0%)
      Alexis Mac Allister
      0 (0%)
      Darwin NĂșñez
      2 (3.2%)
      Diogo Jota
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Luis Diaz
      38 (60.3%)
      Cody Gakpo
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      3 (4.8%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Voting closed: Nov 09, 2023 06:29:06 pm

Luton Town 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 10734 times
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 298 
      Re: Luton Town 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #437: Nov 05, 2023 08:54:04 pm
      Surprise, surprise,  a setback and out come all the doom mongers again. Players being slaughtered,  towels being thrown in. 3 points behind  shitty despite a summer rebuild,  still a work in progress. One of early chances go in and we win comfortably.

This

Bad game for us, at least we got a point at the end. Every team will have bad games, just need to react to this and learn  from it.

As sore monad said, we need to have more width on the right wing when we play these type of teams. There were lots of moments in the game when Trent and Mo were both in the middle of the pitch and a massive empty space out in the wing. 1 of them needs to stay out wide to receive the ball and put in a decent cross.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,540 posts | 1091 
      Reply #438: Nov 05, 2023 08:55:19 pm
      Maybe we could have gone 3 at the back today and pushed trent and tsimikas right up to give us width. There was none for the whole game pretty much.

I don't want to see Joe at left back again unless it's a dead rubber europa game of something. Square peg ... round hole.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #439: Nov 05, 2023 09:06:18 pm
      Maybe we could have gone 3 at the back today

I suppose the way Trent moves into mid, thats what we were doing and they scored from a counter.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #440: Nov 05, 2023 09:10:59 pm
      Can't win em all. One of those days, nobody played that well.

Super chuffed for Diaz.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #441: Nov 05, 2023 09:12:49 pm
      I suppose the way Trent moves into mid, thats what we were doing and they scored from a counter.

The thing is a 3 at the back should have wing backs going up and down creating width. With the way we played it today there were times when Dom and Gravenberch were our widest players and it made it really easy for Luton to shut us down as everyone wanted to come into the middle to get on the ball.

I'm not really sold on this inverted full back business at the moment. I feel like we're using at the moment to cover Mac Allister's defensive deficiencies rather than using it because it makes us a better team overall.
      Don77

• 6,540 posts | 1091 
      Reply #442: Nov 05, 2023 09:20:01 pm

Aye. Trent and Tsimikas are poor defenders imo. But with the ball both are dangerous and both have great delivery. I'd have liked to have seen them both pushed up ... overlapping and getting quality over. That's their strength.

Today just took me back to forest, Brentford, wolves etc last season. Poor from minute one and just never felt we were at it.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,580 posts | 391 
      Reply #443: Nov 05, 2023 09:21:25 pm
      Now that I’m a bit calmer
.. it’s crazy what a leveller this game is. Like even after all these years of watching football, I just look at this game and assume we’ll win. Ahh Luton, they must be sh*te. We’re boss. We’ll turn up and roll them. Just doesn’t work like that.

Last year forest. And Bournemouth. I’ll never learn. Next year will probably be Ipswich. Or West Brom ffs.  It’s just further proof that away games are never gonna be easy.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,309 posts | 774 
      Reply #444: Nov 05, 2023 09:37:45 pm
      Now that I’m a bit calmer
.. it’s crazy what a leveller this game is. Like even after all these years of watching football, I just look at this game and assume we’ll win. Ahh Luton, they must be sh*te. We’re boss. We’ll turn up and roll them. Just doesn’t work like that.

Last year forest. And Bournemouth. I’ll never learn. Next year will probably be Ipswich. Or West Brom ffs.  It’s just further proof that away games are never gonna be easy.
      The problem today was the players approached the game with the same mindset as you..."Ah Luton, they must be sh*te....etc.." First time, and hopefully the last time we've seen that this season.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #445: Nov 05, 2023 09:53:55 pm
      This

Bad game for us, at least we got a point at the end. Every team will have bad games, just need to react to this and learn  from it.

As sore monad said, we need to have more width on the right wing when we play these type of teams. There were lots of moments in the game when Trent and Mo were both in the middle of the pitch and a massive empty space out in the wing. 1 of them needs to stay out wide to receive the ball and put in a decent cross.

Definitely,  the right side has been pretty productive recently,  needed trent the full back a bit more today
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,580 posts | 391 
      Reply #446: Nov 05, 2023 10:15:37 pm
      The problem today was the players approached the game with the same mindset as you..."Ah Luton, they must be sh*te....etc.." First time, and hopefully the last time we've seen that this season.

Absolutely. Which is all the more disappointing as you’d think Klopp etc would have drilled it into them after what happened last season
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,179 posts | 1097 
      Reply #447: Nov 05, 2023 10:16:32 pm
      I hate that I let myself think that we could contend for the league this year. Not saying we are out of it because of today, but City and Arse still seem to be a cut above. If we sign a 6 in January maybe it turns things.

The rebuild is still going well. We look a lock for top 4. Definitely have to be favorites for Europa atm. We need to go HAM in December against West Ham. I know it's at a tough time ( Arse-United). But that's the best chacne at a trophy
      DanMann

• 5,761 posts | 884 
      Reply #448: Nov 06, 2023 12:17:14 am
      MacAllister mostly at fault for not doing anything to stop their goal, and Klopp at fault for keeping him on the pitch. A very poor decision.

Not only could MacAllister not run.. but he couldn't try to tackle as at risk of the 2nd yellow. What was Klopp thinking?!

Mac currently offers the team nothing
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,564 posts | 729 
      Reply #449: Nov 06, 2023 04:04:30 am
      We've lost one game in the last 22 in the premier league. Only defeat was the dodgy one against SPURS. Lets keep our heads up ;D
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #450: Nov 06, 2023 04:21:14 am
      I agree we should have won this match. Nunez and MO had plenty of missed chances. But, this knee jerk "Sky is falling" reactions are just not correct. sh*t happens and if we beat City we're back in the hunt. City and Liverpool are the 2 best team's in the league. Spurs will choke, Arsenal will choke and United are no longer relevant. Newcastle don't have the experience either. We're going to be fine. Relax.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #451: Nov 06, 2023 05:28:28 am
      MacAllister mostly at fault for not doing anything to stop their goal, and Klopp at fault for keeping him on the pitch. A very poor decision.

Not only could MacAllister not run.. but he couldn't try to tackle as at risk of the 2nd yellow. What was Klopp thinking?!

Mac currently offers the team nothing

I won't say he brings nothing, he's still a very tidy player but he lost the ball way too many times with his risk-taking passing. Our midfield is still finding its equilibrium. Gravenberch was ineffective. The left side was average.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,754 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #452: Nov 06, 2023 06:16:17 am
      Question:

Did they have the microphones placed away from the Liverpool away fans?

I hardly heard them all night, no singing, just the celebrations when Lucho scored.

Not having a pop at the away fans, just couldn't hear them at all so was wondering.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,244 posts | 921 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #453: Nov 06, 2023 06:48:05 am
      Question:

Did they have the microphones placed away from the Liverpool away fans?

I hardly heard them all night, no singing, just the celebrations when Lucho scored.

Not having a pop at the away fans, just couldn't hear them at all so was wondering.

I could hear the Liverpool supporters all through the game
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,244 posts | 921 
      Reply #454: Nov 06, 2023 08:27:25 am
      Think yesterdays result is partly due to attitude, we go out with the attitude the game will be easy. Just look at the results from last season against the newly promoted teams.

You have to play each game as if it is a final, something we dont do all to often.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #455: Nov 06, 2023 08:39:23 am
      We've lost one game in the last 22 in the premier league. Only defeat was the dodgy one against SPURS. Lets keep our heads up ;D

Exactly, and this is a new team, there are gonna be some games were not so good.

We looked tired, I wonder if the unusual long bus journey wednesday night had anything to do with it. although that was 4 days before so shouldnt really be an excuse.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #456: Nov 06, 2023 08:42:11 am
      Exactly, and this is a new team, there are gonna be some games were not so good.

We looked tired, I wonder if the unusual long bus journey wednesday night had anything to do with it. although that was 4 days before so shouldnt really be an excuse.

No excuses. These players are pros. I mean if the other team can overcome the same excuses and do it, I don’t see why our players can’t.

I’m going down the “you’re the pro, so nuckle down and deliver the result” argument.

But the pro will tell me: if you think you’re better than me, come and do my job.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3919 
      Reply #457: Nov 06, 2023 08:48:07 am
      I blame myself for that performance:

1. I saw a lone magpie just before the game

2. I watched at Goals 5-a-side clubhouse while my son had his football lesson. The last time I watched a game in there was when Ake scored last minute winner against us for Watford.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #458: Nov 06, 2023 09:03:50 am
      No excuses. These players are pros. I mean if the other team can overcome the same excuses and do it, I don’t see why our players can’t.

I’m going down the “you’re the pro, so nuckle down and deliver the result” argument.

But the pro will tell me: if you think you’re better than me, come and do my job.

I agree, but..

Luton didnt have a midweek game, that had flights cancelled due to storm and then a 5 hrs bus journey home.

But as I said it was wednesday so had Thursday to recover then 2 days light training, so should have been ok for the game.

At end of day, games like this happen all the time. credit luton as well, thir game plan worked well.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,244 posts | 921 
      Reply #459: Nov 06, 2023 09:15:25 am

At end of day, games like this happen all the time. credit luton as well, thir game plan worked well.
      [/quote]

Yes they happen but far to frequently

Quick Reply