Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Luton?

Alisson Becker
      1 (1.6%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.6%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      5 (7.9%)
      Ibrahima Konaté
      4 (6.3%)
      Ryan Gravenberch
      9 (14.3%)
      Dominik Szoboszlai
      0 (0%)
      Alexis Mac Allister
      0 (0%)
      Darwin Núñez
      2 (3.2%)
      Diogo Jota
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Luis Diaz
      38 (60.3%)
      Cody Gakpo
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      3 (4.8%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Voting closed: Nov 09, 2023 06:29:06 pm

Luton Town 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 10735 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Luton Town 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #460: Nov 06, 2023 10:15:53 am
      Low Block teams still the achilles.

Thought Jota and Gravenberch probably should have stayed on but the finishing was poor today and in general the team played far too narrow.
      Hopefully lessons are learned from the game.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,310 posts | 775 
      Reply #461: Nov 06, 2023 10:27:30 am
      Exactly, and this is a new team, there are gonna be some games were not so good.

We looked tired, I wonder if the unusual long bus journey wednesday night had anything to do with it. although that was 4 days before so shouldnt really be an excuse.
      It's interesting how far some people will go to find mitigation for a rank poor performance. Five hour bus journey....The bus is kitted out like The Ritz, so hardly just standing room at the back.
      And to those who say "We're going to lose sometimes"....I agree, but not to a side as abject as Luton.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,009 posts | 2714 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #462: Nov 06, 2023 10:28:49 am
      I blame myself for that performance:

1. I saw a lone magpie just before the game

2. I watched at Goals 5-a-side clubhouse while my son had his football lesson. The last time I watched a game in there was when Ake scored last minute winner against us for Watford.

You sure you wasn’t the magpie flying over and had a sh*t that  Nunez slipped on to miss an open goal again!   :lmao:

Ps. You walked into that one, or shud it be slipped.  :lmao:
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #463: Nov 06, 2023 11:30:08 am
      It's interesting how far some people will go to find mitigation for a rank poor performance. Five hour bus journey....The bus is kitted out like The Ritz, so hardly just standing room at the back.
      And to those who say "We're going to lose sometimes"....I agree, but not to a side as abject as Luton.

I agree, I did caveat my comments with stuff like it shouldn't matter. l o l

I disagree with the `but not v teams like luton`, any football team at any level can be beaten on the day by inferior players and so called inferior tactics. One of the reasons we all love football. We love a good underdog story.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,310 posts | 775 
      Reply #464: Nov 06, 2023 12:07:46 pm
      I agree, I did caveat my comments with stuff like it shouldn't matter. l o l

I disagree with the `but not v teams like luton`, any football team at any level can be beaten on the day by inferior players and so called inferior tactics. One of the reasons we all love football. We love a good underdog story.
      As you say there are so many variables which can decide the outcome in any football match. Contrary to some reports, I don't think Luton played well....I don't think Luton are capable of playing well....actually Luton didn't even need to be able to play well. The result stems from a pre- match mindset of thinking it was a guaranteed win. The chances missed early in the game were shrugged off with an attitude of we'll score later on....there was a malaise right across the team right from the start.
      As for loving the underdog....I still feel sick now thinking back to leaving Wembley after the cup defeat to Wimbledon :f_wah:
      « Last Edit: Nov 06, 2023 04:08:09 pm by Longy-Shops »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #465: Nov 06, 2023 12:21:42 pm
      Liverpool thought they had a penalty.
      Only mistake they made was not continuing to play on,
      which then allowed Luton to counter down the other end and score.

Basic stuff really. Play the whistle.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,540 posts | 1091 
      Reply #466: Nov 06, 2023 12:21:50 pm

Agree. No excuses for that yesterday. The main issue I had was the attitude . It wasn't right.

We had a number of games like this last season where the attitude wasn't right and the tactics were wrong.  We can't afford any more . We played well at spurs and were robbed. Brighton we got a fair point in the end. Yesterday is the first time this season I've been scathing of their performance.

Any more of those will undermine our CL aspirations. I hope Jürgen read the riot act and I hope he considers using mac further up.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #467: Nov 06, 2023 12:50:31 pm
      As you say there are so many variables which can decide the outcome in any football match. Contrary to some reports, I don't think Luton played well....I don't think Luton are capable of playing well....actually Luton didn't even need to be able to play well. The result stems from a pre- match mindset of thinking it was a guaranteed win. The chances missed early in the game were shrugged off with an attitude of well score later on....there was a malaise right across the team right from the start.
      As for loving the underdog....I still feel sick now thinking back to leaving Wembley after the cup defeat to Wimbledon :f_wah:

Luton were dangerous on the break, but we coped well with that, until the 1 time we never, thats football.

That wimbledon one was a shocker. especially since they were not very likeable.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,310 posts | 775 
      Reply #468: Nov 06, 2023 01:25:51 pm
      Luton were dangerous on the break, but we coped well with that, until the 1 time we never, thats football.

That wimbledon one was a shocker. especially since they were not very likeable.
      "Luton were dangerous on the break"....How come they're not dangerous on the break in all the other matches they've played?
      Played 11...lost 7...drawn 3.....won 1. They are headed for relegation.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #469: Nov 06, 2023 01:55:45 pm
      "Luton were dangerous on the break"....How come they're not dangerous on the break in all the other matches they've played?

Mate, it was one of those days where we were just poor all over the pitch.

I’m sure we can put it right
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,310 posts | 775 
      Reply #470: Nov 06, 2023 02:19:48 pm
      Mate, it was one of those days where we were just poor all over the pitch.

I’m sure we can put it right
      You're right....on both points.....Onwards
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #471: Nov 06, 2023 02:28:51 pm

The manager did say this liverpool game felt different for them.

The left winger for them was fast as F, last ball let them down.

Anyway , like we say one of those days for us, we will bounce back and smash a few goals in thursday and next weekend.

#YNWA
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #472: Nov 06, 2023 02:52:35 pm
      Low Block teams still the achilles.

Thought Jota and Gravenberch probably should have stayed on but the finishing was poor today and in general the team played far too narrow.
      Hopefully lessons are learned from the game.

Bringing on Elliot was a good shout, but I thought Mac should have gone off and moved Gravenberch back.

Dom's one that even when he's not playing well, I'd keep him on (like Mo) because he seems to be a player who will create something out of nothing.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #473: Nov 06, 2023 03:04:37 pm
      Bringing on Elliot was a good shout, but I thought Mac should have gone off and moved Gravenberch back.

Dom's one that even when he's not playing well, I'd keep him on (like Mo) because he seems to be a player who will create something out of nothing.

Elliott should have came on sooner. Wee man is playing very well.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,179 posts | 1097 
      Reply #474: Nov 06, 2023 03:32:10 pm

Gone are the days that we disagree all the time. You've gotten a mot smarter lately, u think just like me
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #475: Nov 06, 2023 04:05:44 pm
      Elliott should have came on sooner. Wee man is playing very well.

He made a huge difference. Still don’t really know his position - mid 3 on the right?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #476: Nov 06, 2023 04:08:16 pm
      He made a huge difference. Still don’t really know his position - mid 3 on the right?

Aye, Mid right probably best, but he flexible.

and is getting better.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #477: Nov 06, 2023 04:10:11 pm
      Whatever the argument now, the outcome is what it is. Our DNA is pass and move attacking football since decades ago. And we have always been frustrated by these type of counter tactics - all men behind the ball, give us no space, counter attack. A noisy away ground certainly doesn’t help at all.

It has happened before like Palace, it is happening now and it will happen again. Also credit to Luton which executed the plan to their desired outcome.

This is and has been a constant throughout the years. We can’t win all the time. So this is just one of those days. The way we play, it is what it is. I’d have gone to take over the players’ job if I were better than them.

But ok, let’s just blame Darwin for that miss.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #478: Nov 06, 2023 04:31:48 pm

Because they don't play the 9 man defence against other sides. They seem to take the attitude its no good just trying to defend or you'll get caught out at sometime. But against us they know if they defend defend defend, they will get a chance on the counter due to our high line. They don't have that option against most other sides, so play more open football. We're the architects of our own downfall !
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #479: Nov 06, 2023 04:40:05 pm
      I suppose the way Trent moves into mid, thats what we were doing and they scored from a counter.

But when sides fill the middle by defending around their own penalty area in numbers, thats when we need to get in behind them, and Trent's service from the right flank was a tactic we needed, yet all the game he was entrenched in the middle with his passing becoming ineffective due to the crowded area ahead of him.

Tactics were all wrong, and I think the subs. Not those coming on, but those going off.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,049 posts | 3431 
      Reply #480: Nov 06, 2023 05:45:24 pm
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,049 posts | 3431 
      Reply #481: Nov 06, 2023 07:32:20 pm
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber