Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Alonso Watch

Read 2427 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,515 posts | 1507 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Alonso Watch
      Dec 14, 2023 10:17:00 am
      Alonso looks like he's a natural-born winner as both a football player and manager. He is doing extremely well in the Bundesliga with Bayer Leverkusen.

Apparently, he has a clause in his contract that enables him to join us, Bayern Munich, or of course, Real Madrid, and I suppose if there were perfect examples of something definitely going to happen in the future, Alonso ending up at the Bernabeu as manager would be one of them. Three things are definite in life; death, taxes, and Xabi Alonso managing Real Madrid.

The romantic in me would love to see him manage Liverpool in the future, but (a) only when Klopp decides it's time to step aside, and (b) only after Xabi has fulfilled his lifelong dream of managing Real Madrid. I believe he was born in Madrid, so I'm assuming that has to be a destination for him in the future. He's only 42 (as of 14th Dec 23), so plenty of time.

Anyways, he's currently unbeaten in the Bundesliga and in the Europa League (won five out of five), and just equalled the best-ever start to the Bundesliga, set by Pep's Bayern Munich in the 2015/16 season. I think it's 14 games played, won 11 drawn 3.

I imagine a Europa League final between Klopp and Alonso would be a good watch.

Or, he could turn out to be an average Joe, and that's that. Time will tell.
      « Last Edit: Dec 14, 2023 10:24:10 am by Rush »
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 764 
      Re: Alonso Watch
      Reply #1: Dec 14, 2023 10:52:02 am
      Jürgen Klopp almost impossible to replace and should carry on for whenever he decides to quit. It seems Alonso might be a more than decent choice as manager of LFC one day, only time will tell.

For the meantime we will enjoy Jürgen's tenure hoping it will bring more trophies along the way !
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,062 posts | 2109 
      Reply #2: Dec 14, 2023 11:36:58 am
      I don't think it comes as any surprise just how well a job he is doing in management. If you could have asked Liverpool supporters 15/20 years ago, who out of all our then playing staff, would go on to the top level then I'm sure the majority of us would choose Xabi.

Of course, he's not won anything yet, but it's clear to see what a mightily talented guy he is. He could go to Madrid...but sentiment and long term vision only has a limited shelf life (of about 3 days) there. So, you know it makes sense Xabi. Come back here!

(onlu when Jürgen has left the club of course! So in that case, let's hope we're waiting for a while longer before we dream of Xabi)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3: Dec 14, 2023 11:41:23 am
      Personally I feel that if the Aston Martin is not consistently challenging next season he'll likely retire. ;)
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,515 posts | 1507 
      Reply #4: Dec 14, 2023 12:27:48 pm
      Yep, I'm more than happy with Klopp. But nothing lasts forever, and you always have to look to the future. I think we'll all look back one day and miss the Klopp years, and at my age, you start to appreciate things in the current climate, and not just when looking back to the past. Never mind his charisma and genuinely nice guy attributes, the gaffer has won almost everything there is to win at the club. And that box might get ticked in a few months.

I will also become a German supporter when he takes them to the World Cup in the future. It's not like there's much chance of Wales getting there anytime soon. :D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #5: Dec 14, 2023 01:15:26 pm
      You all going off Gerrard now? :laugh:
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,515 posts | 1507 
      Reply #6: Dec 14, 2023 01:23:38 pm
      Good point. There are no guarantees in football management. I've often wondered what attributes make someone a poor, mediocre, good, or great manager. Eye for talent, tactical knowledge, man management, available funds, and probably lots more. So for me, it would be:

1st - Eye for talent
      2nd - Tactical knowledge
      3rd - Man management
      4th - Available funds
      5th - Backroom staff
      6th - Not working for the Glazers (this might be 1st, actually)
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,534 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #7: Dec 14, 2023 01:31:53 pm

I not been sold on gerrard since he went to rangers. And now hes fu**ed off to saudi im even less confinced.

Alonso is defo better option for future reds manager.

Although I do think when klopp finally leaves, assistant pep may well get a go at it.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #8: Dec 14, 2023 01:37:16 pm
      I not been sold on gerrard since he went to rangers. And now hes fu**ed off to saudi im even less confinced.

Alonso is defo better option for future reds manager.

Although I do think when klopp finally leaves, assistant pep may well get a go at it.

Alonso also being looked at as a future Real Madrid Head coach.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,534 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #9: Dec 14, 2023 02:12:47 pm
      Alonso also being looked at as a future Real Madrid Head coach.

could do madrid then upgrade to us. l o l
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #10: Dec 14, 2023 10:39:31 pm
      could do madrid then upgrade to us. l o l

German journalist saying on CNN sports report talking about Leverkusen's start of the season that it is rumoured he has a release clause in his contract if Real, Liverpool or Bayern were to come in for him.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,213 posts | 1221 
      Reply #11: Dec 14, 2023 11:22:43 pm
      I've been impressed with how well he's done so quickly over there, although not surprised, as he was often the most intelligent player on the pitch; his football mind and passing on a different level to most. I hope they beat Bayern to the title (I also quite like Leverkusen from back when they were decent 20+ years ago - Ulf Kirsten and co). It's great having a genuine legend we can watch from afar who we can all imagine being in the Anfield dugout one day. There was Sami who disappeared pretty quickly, Stevie who fared pretty badly at Villa and now the classy Spanish maestro who's stepping up. Igor Biscan assistant please  :)
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,291 posts | 764 
      Reply #12: Dec 14, 2023 11:36:49 pm
      Steven as a relatively Rookie manager made mistakes at Villa (Coutinho one of the biggest)....but making mistakes is how you learn. For me what he achieved as a player and leader at our club merits giving him at go at the reins at some point down the line.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,062 posts | 2109 
      Reply #13: Dec 15, 2023 12:11:41 am
      Steven as a relatively Rookie manager made mistakes at Villa (Coutinho one of the biggest)....but making mistakes is how you learn. For me what he achieved as a player and leader at our club merits giving him at go at the reins at some point down the line.

Going to Saudi kind of burned off any prospect of him managing this club. It's not what any serious manager with serious ambitions would ever do.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,351 posts | 1629 
      Reply #14: Dec 15, 2023 07:59:23 am

The only thing that merits him getting the reigns here , is proving he can do it and so far especially with that move out there he hasn’t , .
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,515 posts | 1507 
      Reply #15: Jan 26, 2024 12:36:33 pm
      If he's wanted by us, there's a part of me that wants him here, but there is a big part of me that doesn't. I'd much rather he got the Madrid thing out of his system before he comes to us.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #16: Jan 26, 2024 02:13:14 pm
      This thread certainly aged well.

Not gonna lie. If he was appointed I wouldn't be too upset. I think if he came here and had success, the Madrid thing wouldn't be an issue.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,062 posts | 2109 
      Reply #17: Jan 26, 2024 02:17:08 pm
      I don't think it comes as any surprise just how well a job he is doing in management. If you could have asked Liverpool supporters 15/20 years ago, who out of all our then playing staff, would go on to the top level then I'm sure the majority of us would choose Xabi.

Of course, he's not won anything yet, but it's clear to see what a mightily talented guy he is. He could go to Madrid...but sentiment and long term vision only has a limited shelf life (of about 3 days) there. So, you know it makes sense Xabi. Come back here!

(only when Jürgen has left the club of course! So in that case, let's hope we're waiting for a while longer before we dream of Xabi)

Did not expect to be coming back to this so quickly.

Point about Gerrard still stands. I don't care if he was Jesus Christ himself, anyone who decided to take their career to Saudi instantly disqualifies themselves from any consideration for this job. Not a serious job and therefore not a serious manager. It's a massive no from me.

Alonso all day.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #18: Jan 26, 2024 03:17:57 pm
      Did not expect to be coming back to this so quickly.

Point about Gerrard still stands. I don't care if he was Jesus Christ himself, anyone who decided to take their career to Saudi instantly disqualifies themselves from any consideration for this job. Not a serious job and therefore not a serious manager. It's a massive no from me.

Alonso all day.

I don't care if Gerrard went to Saudi or not, he's not had good results so that disqualifies him for me. I'm with you on Alonso, think we could do a whole lot worse.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #19: Jan 26, 2024 03:32:06 pm
      I watched Leverkusen's game the other day and my word, it was fun to watch. I'd take that!

He was a personal favourite as a player and it almost makes too much sense, so it probably won't happen haha
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,515 posts | 1507 
      Reply #20: Jan 26, 2024 03:50:40 pm
      Well, there's a reason there's a release clause in his contract allowing him to leave for Liverpool or Madrid. It's because he'd want to leave and manage those teams if the offer ever came up.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #21: Jan 26, 2024 04:46:44 pm
      Well, there's a reason there's a release clause in his contract allowing him to leave for Liverpool or Madrid. It's because he'd want to leave and manage those teams if the offer ever came up.

Even read a quote somewhere with Xabi saying he had "unfinished business here"
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,515 posts | 1507 
      Reply #22: Jan 26, 2024 05:00:25 pm
      Even read a quote somewhere with Xabi saying he had "unfinished business here"
      A bit of a gamble, but all signs point to him knowing this football management gig. I wonder if he'll think it's too soon though. I'd be prepared to take that risk.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #23: Jan 26, 2024 09:46:37 pm
      Who else checked the schedule for the weekend to make sure they catch Leverkusen's game? :D
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,338 posts | 1010 
      Reply #24: Jan 27, 2024 02:36:03 pm
      Who else checked the schedule for the weekend to make sure they catch Leverkusen's game? :D

Guilty as charged! 😃
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #25: Jan 27, 2024 10:25:42 pm
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #26: Feb 03, 2024 02:45:31 pm
      Dutifully have my tv on to watch Darmstadt vs Leverkusen
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #27: Feb 03, 2024 02:48:06 pm
      Xabi Alonso is cool as F**k
      Don77

• 6,540 posts | 1091 
      Reply #28: Feb 03, 2024 02:54:38 pm

There was some reports today linking us with the sporting Lisbon coach. Probably bs.

I like Xabi obviously. Can't help but think pep doesn't want it yet as on reflection he seems the logical choice to me for continuity and promote from within.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #29: Feb 03, 2024 03:03:46 pm
      Nathan Tella gets Leverkusen ahead, 1-0. Yet another assist for Grimaldo, quality cross to the opposite side wing back.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #30: Feb 03, 2024 03:06:21 pm
      FC Bayern have gone 1-0 down to Monchengladbach, meaning Leverkusen are as of now 5 points ahead at the top.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #31: Feb 03, 2024 03:31:51 pm
      There was some reports today linking us with the sporting Lisbon coach. Probably bs.

I like Xabi obviously. Can't help but think pep doesn't want it yet as on reflection he seems the logical choice to me for continuity and promote from within.

Xabi would be given patience, Pep wouldn’t and he probably realizes that. Would really be a tough job for him unless we came out flying for a good while.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,515 posts | 1507 
      Reply #32: Feb 03, 2024 04:26:22 pm
      Job done

2-0 win away from home.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #33: Feb 03, 2024 04:27:24 pm
      Bayern came back from behind to win as well so the distance at the top remains 2 points
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,515 posts | 1507 
      Reply #34: Feb 03, 2024 04:41:43 pm
      Saturday 10th February

Bayer 04 Leverkusen v Bayern Munich

Kick Off: 17:30
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #35: Feb 03, 2024 07:12:33 pm

Always has been cool as F**k 8)

Kurt Cocaine
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 755 posts | 127 
      Reply #36: Feb 09, 2024 05:47:39 am
      Just a fun stat ahead of an upcoming game -

Klopp managed 29 unbeaten games with Borussia Dortmund.

Pep Guardiola managed 32 unbeaten games with Bayern Munich.

Xabi Alonso has managed 30 unbeaten games with Bayer Leverkusen - just 3 more required to beat Guardiola.

Bayer Leverkusen face Bayern Munich this Saturday at 5.30pm....
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #37: Feb 10, 2024 06:31:05 pm
      His team play with no fear from my limited knowledge, (the first half-time viewing of Leverkusen vs Bayern ;D), hope he gets the Bundesliga wrapped up.

Will do him the world of good before he joins us to have a title under his belt.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,515 posts | 1507 
      Reply #38: Feb 10, 2024 07:55:40 pm
      Thought Leverkusen were a bit under the cosh second half, but without looking ragged, if that makes sense. Munich had to come out and make a fight of it, and they did, but yeah, 3-0 looks good.

And the pace at which they play is exciting to watch. Need players that can pass the ball in this set-up. Give Thiago a year extension and we're golden.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #39: Feb 10, 2024 08:22:10 pm
      Thought Leverkusen were a bit under the cosh second half, but without looking ragged, if that makes sense. Munich had to come out and make a fight of it, and they did, but yeah, 3-0 looks good.

And the pace at which they play is exciting to watch. Need players that can pass the ball in this set-up. Give Thiago a year extension and we're golden.

Do the physio’s need work?

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #40: Feb 11, 2024 02:03:16 pm
      Give Thiago a year extension and we're golden.

Being binned at the end of his current contract
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,515 posts | 1507 
      Reply #41: Feb 11, 2024 02:50:25 pm
      Being binned at the end of his current contract
      I know, just think he'd be perfect for this system. Ah well.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #42: Feb 11, 2024 03:08:20 pm
      I know, just think he'd be perfect for this system. Ah well.

If he was fit ;)
      Don77

• 6,540 posts | 1091 
      Reply #43: Feb 18, 2024 05:55:36 pm
      Looks like Xabi's boys going 8 points clear
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,515 posts | 1507 
      Reply #44: Feb 25, 2024 09:26:11 am
      Leverkusen go 8 points clear and 33 matches unbeaten in the Bundesliga, beating Guardiola's previous record.

Quick Reply