Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v West Ham?

Caoimhin Kelleher
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      1 (4.8%)
      Jarell Quansah
      1 (4.8%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      0 (0%)
      Dominik Szoboszlai
      0 (0%)
      Wataru Endo
      4 (19%)
      Curtis Jones
      11 (52.4%)
      Darwin Núñez
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      4 (19%)
      Cody Gakpo
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Ibrahima Konaté
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Luis Diaz
      0 (0%)
      Conor Bradley
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: Dec 25, 2023 11:07:07 am

Liverpool 5-1 West Ham United: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 6281 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Re: Liverpool 5-1 West Ham United: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #299: Dec 21, 2023 12:20:57 pm
      You obviously follow their stores and special offers as you lack clear vision as demonstrated from your own posts on here.

Christ if we're talking about posts, what happiness do you get from Liverpool wins cos you seem like a miserable b***ard in every after match thread?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #300: Dec 21, 2023 03:17:18 pm
      I don't really think much differed between last night and the United game, other than this time when we had a dig from distance it went in to open the scoring (eventually) and then we carried on as normal. Against United, we were being slaughted for the shots from way outside the box because they didn't actually trouble United all that much, whereas a couple of times West Ham were shaken by it.

Just like United, we started very brightly and then faded as you'd imagine. But we got the goal and that lifted us and deflated them, as it would have last Sunday if we'd managed to break them down. There was no real danger defensively, despite them scoring, and we controlled the game very very well.

Some more minutes for the fringe players, some real improvements from players who've been under the microscope lately and goals for players who certainly needed it. Some may say the only downside was Nunez not getting a goal, for me the only downside was conceding in a game where they didn't threaten at all.

But in the Cups, as long as you win then you should be happy. Semi final to come, quadruple still on and this clubs love affair with the League Cup continues, even if the modern day fan wants to rubbish it.

Kelleher - best he's played for a while, looked composed with the ball at his feet today. Can't really fault for him the goal either. Couple of real commanding punches from crosses as well, which is something I like to see in my keeper. I've had questions about him this year after thinking he was the real deal for a few seasons so I was pleased to see him back on form yesterday, even if from an actual goalkeeping standpoint he had little to do.

Gomez - another good showing from Joe, who is really starting to convinvce me he should be our first choice right back and move Trent into the middle of the park. Up and down the flank all night. Carragher was making out like Paqueta was as good as John Barnes in his prime and yet he hardly got a sniff of the ball thanks to Joey and later young Connor Bradley. And he will score this sesaon. That run from left back confirmed it, he will score.

Quansah - got a little bit of stick for their goal but I think most would rather show Bowen onto his right foot than his left, just happened that this time on his right he put one in the top corner. But for me it was another outstanding showing from Jarell and proof that we've got a top quality centre half on our hands without having to dip into the transfer market and spunk a huge amount on somebody else.

Van Dijk - was surprised to him start given the rest of the certainties to start against Arsenal were rested but it didn't seem to phase the skipper. He didn't sulk about it, he just put in another boss performance and is showing that he is back to the best defender on the planet. He's getting the aura around him back as well.

Tsimikas - another solid display from the Greek, who has become a real steady hand at left back once again. It'll be a bit unfair on him if Robbo comes straight back into the team when fit because Kostas has earned that shirt for now. Fact he was brought off shows his importance to the team now.

Szoboszlai - might get pelters for this but I don't think he played that well, the goal aside. I mean it was a F***ing belting strike. But the rest of his game was still off. Couple of decent runs into dangerous positions but his final ball never really beat the first man. And got caught on the ball a few ties, including one that led to West Ham's first corner of the game.

Endo - continues to impress when given the chances. He's still not world class nor is he ever gonna be at the age of 30 but he's doing a solid job in there and growing into the role. Still think the domestic game can be a bit too quick for him but he's getting there.

Jones - two lovely finishes, couple of driving runs with the ball and an all round night and day display to the European encounter the other week, where he really got on me tits. Could tell once he'd scored the first he was looking to repay Darwin for the assist, couple of times he could have played somebody else in in a better position but was looking for the number 9 instead. Next step for Curtis is consistency because if he wants to nail a place down in our best XI then one good performance in every five or six games isn't going to cut it.

Elliott - looked a cert to score at the start of the game, every shot we had seemed to come from the new Super Sub. But alas he didn't find the back of the net but he did find his form from a starting position. Was as lively as anybody, intent on making an impact and giving the boss a headache when it comes to the Arsenal game. Still feel his brain is too good for his feet and the things he sees he hasn't quite got the ability to execute but a really good game last night from the young lad.

Gakpo - much needed goal for the lad and a really well taken one. On Sunday he'd have been slaughtered for shooting from that position by the dickheads on commentary but as I said in my assessment of the United game, if you don't buy the ticket you don't win the lottery. This time Cody's numbers came up. Equalled the number of goals he got last season so that's a good thing. Wasn't massively involved but grew into the game as did his mate down the left.

Nunez - this mad f**ker did everything but score last night but what a shift he put in. Grafted his bollocks off all game and it was the sort of performance Liverpool fans will love you for. Dirk Kuyt made an entire career at the club for matches like that. Plenty of huff and puff and allow the others to grab the headlines. If you're not scoring as a forward then the least you can do is graft and Darwin has been doing that, which is why the fans still chant his name as loud as anybody elses.

Alexander-Arnold - only on the pitch for half an hour or so and still managed to play some of the best passes you'll see all season. Against United, I thought he was poor with the ball but last night showed his qualities, especially from the role of central midfielder. I did get a laugh when the commentators were talking about how it was all Pep Lijnders idea and thought back to a couple of years ago when he was getting battered on this forum for being arrogant.

Konate - he bullied West Ham when he came on, just ran through them like a dose of salts in the build up to Gakpo's goal. And anything that came in our half, the big b***ard dealt with. It looks like he's starting to find his best form again as well, which along with the other defenders improving, can only be a good thing.

Salah - god he was sh*t wasn't he? Overhit pass after overhit pass after overhit pass. Missing a sitter after Nunez hit the post. Looked sloppy. And yet he still gets a goal with a typical Mo Salah run. Open space, nobody catching him, driving it into the bottom corner and the Egyptian King scores again at Anfield. It's almost a given now.

Bradley - made up the young lad is getting some game time at this level, even if it's not full 90 minutes. Didn't look out of place and like I said with Gomez, he kept Paqueta quiet all game despite Carragher making out he was some sort of world beater.

Diaz - didn't do much in his ten-fifteen minute cameo but the game was basically won by the time he came on and certainly wrapped up within five or six minutes of his introduction. Job done as far as Luis in concerned.

Overall, we're still in the League Cup with Fulham to come in the semi finals and a trip to Wembley looking a certainty. A third final with Chelsea potentially ahead. A good confidence boost ahead of Arsenal and following the disappointment of dropping points against United. Some players playing the best they have all season. Yeah, plenty of positives to take from last night and moving forward.

It's no secret I love the League Cup so to see us doing well in it and taking it seriously is a big thumbs up from me.

Well in Reds. Keep it going.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 765 
      Reply #301: Dec 21, 2023 03:44:40 pm
      Good win with plenty of goals, tearing West Ham to shreds. They seemed there for the taking, last night. The Hammers genuinly try to play football, rather than park the bus. Enjoyed Jones's couple of goals as well as another from Mo Salah.

It must be frustrating for Nunez, who once again could not get on the scoresheet.

I was annoyed at missing Szoboszlai's sizzler, being distracted in the local, but saw the replay.

Well in Reds for a fine performance !

TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,050 posts | 342 
      Reply #302: Dec 21, 2023 03:53:22 pm
      Vintage stuff from the boys in red, and a game to savour which has been a while coming it seems.

Lovely balance to the team, with Jones and Harvey my stand outs, although they were closely followed by Endo and Gomez. I love Joe at RB, he seems to just be where we need him, whether in attack or defence, and his wing work is becoming a useful weapon. 

In games like this i’m never sure whether we were amazing because they were sh*te, or they were sh*te because we were amazing!🤣
      Anyway, who cares?  Lets hope for more of the same at the weekend.

It seems we’ve got free reign to shoot from distance now, where a few seasons back it rarely happened. I think the boss thought it wasted possession or something?
      It’s leading to some picture goals but I counted 3 times last night when Tsimikas was totally free on a dangerous overlap and was ignored in favour of the (missed) long-range effort. Dont get me wrong, I love a screamer (heh heh!) but wd could do with getting our heads up at times (Jones, Darwin, Cody).

Anyway, can’t really moan when we hit 5!  Let’s spank the Arse in a similar manner!  :D

YNWA
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #303: Dec 24, 2023 10:46:11 pm
      Quote from JD
      Wasn't expecting a comfortable win. Didn't expect us to be chasing 4 trophies in December back in the summer.

1 loss in 60 years, a manager who has never won here, and we still think we have a hard game against them at home.

Quick Reply