Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v USG?

Caoimhin Kelleher
      3 (8.8%)
      Wataru Endo
      0 (0%)
      Ibrahima Konaté
      0 (0%)
      Jarell Quansah
      26 (76.5%)
      Conor Bradley
      0 (0%)
      Cody Gakpo
      1 (2.9%)
      Harvey Elliott
      2 (5.9%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Luke Chambers
      0 (0%)
      Ben Doak
      0 (0%)
      Kaide Gordon
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      2 (5.9%)
      Ryan Gravenberch
      0 (0%)
      Darwin Núñez
      0 (0%)
      James McConnell
      0 (0%)
      Calum Scanlon
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: Dec 18, 2023 07:40:31 pm

Union SG 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 4003 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Union SG 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #92: Dec 15, 2023 10:12:06 pm
      It's never nice to see us lose, especially with such a poor performance even in a game that meant very little to us in the grand scheme of things. I think what was really disappointing for me was the fact that the senior players played as if they were too good to be picked for this game and the younger lads played as if the opportunity to represent this club meant nothing to them.

Nobody stood out for the right reasons. Even Quansah's goal, while it was perfectly taken, was about the only good thing he did last night. There just didn't seem to be any effort from anybody from the first whistle to the last. And that's worse than the result in my eyes.

But ultimately last night won't mean much come the end of the season. And hopefully it doesn't have a knock on effect going into the weekend and beyond.

Kelleher - I don't know why but he's regressed so much from the keeper who won us the 2022 League Cup. Whether it's a lack of game time, a poor attitude towards training or a feeling that no matter how well he plays he still won't dislodge Alisson so what's the point. But something has made him under-perform almost every time he's played this year and last night was no different.

Bradley - had one decent run in the game where he looked like the player who was on loan at Bolton but for the majority of the game he looked out of his depth. I know he's just come back from a lengthy injury so it'll take time for him to get up to speed - time that he's not going to get a lot of at first team level just yet.

Konate - really poor showing from our most experienced defender, played like somebody who knew he was there just to ensure we fielded eleven players. And that he was going to be brought off at half time anyway. Obviously if he'd gone hell for leather and picked up an injury people would be moaning about that as well, so maybe a leisurely stroll was the best he could do.

Quansah - we've now had a player score with every letter of the alphabet after Quansah completed the set for Q. But he looked lost out there. Kept finding himself out of position but was still our best defender on the pitch. His goal was outstanding though.

Chambers - poor kid didn't cover himself in glory and hasn't done on the odd game he's played so far for us. Don't like writing kids off this early into their careers but I don't see a future for Luke at this club.

Elliott - another invisible showing when given a start. Changes the game against Palace when coming off the bench, starts against Union and does very little. Jürgen said before the game that nobody wants to be known as a supersub but that's exactly what Harvey is becoming. And maybe that is his level (certainly for now).

Endo - remains my cult hero but was really poor along with the rest of them last night. I hope he wasn't brought off at half time in order to rest up for Sunday because I think the United game would be a nightmare for them, even if they're F***ing sh*t.

Jones - biggest disappointment of the night for me. The opportunity to captain your boyhood club should have fired him no end. But instead he was just as lethargic as anyone else on the pitch. And getting caught in possession in the lead up to their first goal. I've said it a few times about him this season but he's gone back to trying too hard to impress by looking flashy rather than just doing the simple things well, which is what kept him in the side at the back end of last season.

Doak - suffered from those around him being so poor because it meant he didn't really get the ball in positions to hurt the opposition. He's looked lively in his other appearances this season but last night he was anonymous for large parts of the game.

Gakpo - same as above really though you expect more from the more experienced players like Cody. Few times he did get the ball, it just bounced off him.

Gordon - was good to see the lad back in a Liverpool shirt but you could clearly tell how much football he's missed. Like his fellow front three though, there was little danger from them thanks to how little we did with the ball in midfield.

Gomez - for me he was our best performer on the night and even then he wasn't outstanding but he did make a couple of timely interceptions. Be interesting to see if it's him or Konate who partners Van Dijk on Sunday. I think Gomez has had the better season so far.

Gravenberch - didn't change the game in any way. Was in the same mould as the rest in which it was a going through the motions game.

Scanlon - the opposite of Luke Chambers for me. I think Scanlon can have a really bright future with us, he has impressed when given the chance. Even last night he done alright, doing some good defensive work. He looks like your typical modern day fullback.

Nunez - was expecting his energy to lift everybody and make sure we got away with at least a point but unfortunately Darwin was as lackluster as the rest - clearly has his mind on the weekend.

McConnell - one little bit of brilliance when he kept the ball in down the touchline and broke away before being brought down. But other than that, not much else in his fifteen minute cameo.

Overall, it was a game that will be forgotten about by the end of the day. And as long as we tw*t United on Sunday, it'll be brushed under the carpet completely. If it goes tits up against United and then again in the Cup before the Arsenal game it'll be highlighted that we should have taken this game more seriously and kept our good run going rather than risk doing what we done.

Mate everyone of those player performances you gave was spot on the money.

Especially the Luke Chambers, Bradly, Curtis Jones, Scanlon and Gordon bits.

Exactly how I felt watching the kids, Scanlon looked like he had the brightest future out of the lot of them and just don't get me started on Curtis, he drives me insane.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #93: Dec 16, 2023 11:31:11 pm
      just don't get me started on Curtis, he drives me insane.

I think he does everyone mate.

We've seen glimpses of there being a player inside him but so often he flatters to decieve.

He needs to focus on doing the simple things well rather than trying to be the main man because as of right now he's not at that level. It looked like he accepted that at the start of the season but since returning from suspension after the Spurs red card, he's gone back to thinking he's still playing on the school yard and trying to be too clever to make a good impression.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #94: Dec 24, 2023 10:44:44 pm
      Quote from dunlop liddell shankly
      It's never nice to see us lose, especially with such a poor performance even in a game that meant very little to us in the grand scheme of things. I think what was really disappointing for me was the fact that the senior players played as if they were too good to be picked for this game and the younger lads played as if the opportunity to represent this club meant nothing to them.

Nobody stood out for the right reasons. Even Quansah's goal, while it was perfectly taken, was about the only good thing he did last night. There just didn't seem to be any effort from anybody from the first whistle to the last. And that's worse than the result in my eyes.

But ultimately last night won't mean much come the end of the season. And hopefully it doesn't have a knock on effect going into the weekend and beyond.

Kelleher - I don't know why but he's regressed so much from the keeper who won us the 2022 League Cup. Whether it's a lack of game time, a poor attitude towards training or a feeling that no matter how well he plays he still won't dislodge Alisson so what's the point. But something has made him under-perform almost every time he's played this year and last night was no different.

He's still the holder of our only clean sheet away from home all season. Not bad for someone regressing.
      He made 4 world class saves in this game alone, repeatedly bailing the rest of the defence out, after they were opened up time and time again. Also not bad for someone regressing.

The fixture was basically a friendly from our perspective, and the result irrelevant. Apart from VAR doing it's job and spotting the handball in the second half, this game is best forgotten.

Quick Reply