Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Burnley?

Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      4 (6.1%)
      Joe Gomez
      6 (9.1%)
      Jarell Quansah
      10 (15.2%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      13 (19.7%)
      Wataru Endo
      11 (16.7%)
      Harvey Elliott
      5 (7.6%)
      Ryan Gravenberch
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Cody Gakpo
      2 (3%)
      Darwin NĆŗƱez
      5 (7.6%)
      Dominik Szoboszlai
      0 (0%)
      Luis Diaz
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      10 (15.2%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Voting closed: Dec 30, 2023 07:24:35 pm

Burnley 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 7929 times
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,213 posts | 1221 
      Re: Burnley 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #437: Dec 28, 2023 12:20:01 am
      It's ineptitude that is the consistent feature. No need to read deep psychological motives into the decisions of numpties who make dough-headed mistakes. Sure we feel they're all a bunch of c*nts and if we add the word 'corrupt' in for good measure they sound like even bigger c*nts but there's a difference between saying that kind of thing and actually literally meaning it. If that were the case we'd all think Aussie Red were demented.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #438: Dec 28, 2023 12:32:03 am
      I think I may have said this before but this article can't be trusted as non-partisan...The guy even writes "While I clearly have a Liverpool FC bias and focus, this is all objective data." That sentence is a contradiction in itself.
      Again, let me say, refereeing is poor in the Premier League and for all I know we get more than our fair share of sh*tty calls...but even that doesn't prove there's a conspiracy by whoever to F. us.  I'm sure if there was conclusive data to prove it then the club would have brought attention to it.

Data is not biased. Interpretation can be certainly.

If for instance itā€™s found that Tierney calls twice as many fouls against us as opposed to any other team, the data bears that we are penalized twice as much. Now the why could be debated unless thereā€™s more data found to show heā€™s making biased judgements.

It would be hard to ever prove bias, but there certainly is compelling evidence to support that hypothesis.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,290 posts | 763 
      Reply #439: Dec 28, 2023 11:18:16 am
      Data is not biased. Interpretation can be certainly.

If for instance itā€™s found that Tierney calls twice as many fouls against us as opposed to any other team, the data bears that we are penalized twice as much. Now the why could be debated unless thereā€™s more data found to show heā€™s making biased judgements.

It would be hard to ever prove bias, but there certainly is compelling evidence to support that hypothesis.
      You are right, Data in and of itself doesn't have bias....but how, and by whom, that data is compiled is subject to bias (the main reason a court of law relies on independent experts)..... ALL human decision making is subject to bias...again this is why courts rely on two independent fingerprint experts, neither of which can know the others opinion, they both have to arrive at the same decision, independent of each other.
      Your Tierney point has merit...but that's a big if....and then of course you would have to include whether other referee's call more fouls against us, if that held true you'd have to conclude we probably commit more fouls.
      Examining data is a pretty complex matter.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,290 posts | 763 
      Reply #440: Dec 28, 2023 11:32:11 am
      Youā€™re correct about contradiction in the sense that the two words biased and objective which are completely opposites do not go well together.

But if we take a step back, thereā€™s no contradiction on the overall statement and itā€™s clear. Contextually, what heā€™s saying is that he may make arguments in favour of us. But he uses fair and factual data to back his claims including not omitting other crucial data to put his points across. So his points are fair and consistent. And if they do prove in favour of us, we cannot say that he ā€œengineeredā€ his view.
      Let's just say if the author took to a witness stand and said "While I clearly have....etc." the judge would have to strike that evidence out, and instruct the jury to dismiss it. Even if you trust the guy gathered that data with absolute honesty....even he wouldn't be conscious of any bias he was subject to.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,342 posts | 1526 
      Reply #441: Dec 28, 2023 02:41:49 pm
      I think at this stage of the season, we really need about a nine point advantage over our rivals, to account for all the dodgy decisions that we know will go against us, and others in favour of our rivals. As we don't have that, its gonna be difficult to win the prem unless we win every game from here in without any contentious issues.
      If we can manage that, the pundits and commentators will go into meltdown  :laugh: :laugh:

Quick Reply