Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Ali's Pally

Read 1778 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,022 posts | 3352 
      Ali's Pally
      Dec 28, 2023 11:22:56 am
      Alisson's next game for the club will be his 250th for the club, which will see him become the 85th player to achieve the feat for us but only the 7th keeper in that time.

He'll be following in the gloves of Elisha Scott, Arthur Riley, Tommy Lawrence, Ray Clemence, Bruce Grobbelaar, David James and Pepe Reina. Some all-time Liverpool greats on that list and as much as I don't rate Ali at the level some do, he will go down as a Liverpool great - if he isn't already.

Fantastic achievement for him and we'll all have a save or two from that we remember fondly but I think it's that goal against West Brom which is the first thing that comes to mind when we think about our Brazilian number 1.

Well done Ali, hopefully another Anfield clean sheet against Newcastle will mark the achievement.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,299 posts | 765 
      Re: Ali's Pally
      Reply #1: Dec 28, 2023 11:32:37 am
      I can remember LFC keepers as far back as Tommy Lawrence, who was recruited from over the border, Scotland.
      Then we signed Ray Clemence another Liverpool great.

Anyhow well done Ali, on your achievement.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,543 posts | 1481 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #2: Dec 28, 2023 12:57:32 pm
      Our recent successes simply wouldn’t have happened without him, and I dread the day he’s no longer with us at the club.

Legend. Well done Ali.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,237 posts | 8574 
      Reply #3: Dec 28, 2023 01:53:24 pm
      Simply one of the best.

And has scored for the Redmen too :)
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1030 
      Reply #4: Dec 28, 2023 02:24:34 pm
      Alisson's next game for the club will be his 250th for the club, which will see him become the 85th player to achieve the feat for us but only the 7th keeper in that time.

He'll be following in the gloves of Elisha Scott, Arthur Riley, Tommy Lawrence, Ray Clemence, Bruce Grobbelaar, David James and Pepe Reina. Some all-time Liverpool greats on that list and as much as I don't rate Ali at the level some do, he will go down as a Liverpool great - if he isn't already.

Fantastic achievement for him and we'll all have a save or two from that we remember fondly but I think it's that goal against West Brom which is the first thing that comes to mind when we think about our Brazilian number 1.

Well done Ali, hopefully another Anfield clean sheet against Newcastle will mark the achievement.
      Brilliant achievement.

Interesting you don’t rate him as highly as others you say? Do you mean in comparison with current or former players? Personally think he’s the best in the world and comfortably best I’ve ever seen at the club in my 30 years.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,237 posts | 8574 
      Reply #5: Dec 28, 2023 03:04:47 pm
      Brilliant achievement.

Interesting you don’t rate him as highly as others you say? Do you mean in comparison with current or former players? Personally think he’s the best in the world and comfortably best I’ve ever seen at the club in my 30 years.

His only competition would be Clemance. Older fans will tell you what he was like. But I think he is genuinely better than Grobbelaar and any other keeper after Brucie.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,022 posts | 3352 
      Reply #6: Dec 28, 2023 03:34:22 pm
      Brilliant achievement.

I think he makes too many mistakes to be considered the best in the world, in my opinion. Despite the old cliche being if a keeper makes a mistake it leads to a goal, it doesn't always and I think that's why a lot of the times it doesn't get the attention that other keepers do.

I personally preferred Pepe Reina as a keeper, who also had a mistake in him as well. But Pepe at his best was, in my opinion, better than Ali has been.

I know I'm very much in the minority thinking this way and it's also not a case of me not rating Ali at all. I think he's a very good keeper, just not as good as some make out.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,250 posts | 924 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #7: Dec 28, 2023 03:41:56 pm
      Think he is a top keeper, the number of times he has saved us, and when you add his out play ( most of the time ) I think he is outstanding well done Ali
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,319 posts | 775 
      Reply #8: Dec 28, 2023 03:46:48 pm
      I think he makes too many mistakes to be considered the best in the world, in my opinion. Despite the old cliche being if a keeper makes a mistake it leads to a goal, it doesn't always and I think that's why a lot of the times it doesn't get the attention that other keepers do.

I personally preferred Pepe Reina as a keeper, who also had a mistake in him as well. But Pepe at his best was, in my opinion, better than Ali has been.

I know I'm very much in the minority thinking this way and it's also not a case of me not rating Ali at all. I think he's a very good keeper, just not as good as some make out.
      I've had a theory for years that there are some poor keepers and the rest are all much of a muchness.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,439 posts | 3422 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #9: Dec 28, 2023 04:01:26 pm
      Best liverpool keeper since clemence
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,618 posts | 3849 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #10: Dec 28, 2023 04:32:09 pm

The final piece of Klopp's jigsaw that brought success back to Anfield.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,946 posts | 5007 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #11: Dec 28, 2023 05:14:14 pm

Yes mate Pepe was exceptional yet still had a error or three in him, Ali similar but since he’s still wearing the gloves he’ll extend the accolades and perhaps become even better, both for me were/are no where near our Clem though and he still does not get the recognition he truly deserves, mainly because Shilton was the golden boy,

Anyhoo, Congrats to Ali, he’s certainly in the top 5 Stoppers on the planet for me, and we’d be fu**ed without him !!

YNWA
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,345 posts | 1532 
      Reply #12: Dec 28, 2023 08:08:13 pm
      Ali is currently the best.

Clem lost out on England caps while shilton was sucking Bobby robsons tool.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,237 posts | 8574 
      Reply #13: Dec 28, 2023 08:35:13 pm

Sorry disagree.

Watched both and Ali is better than Pepe Reina.

Lost count of the amount of times Ali has literally saved us in games. He's the best keeper I've seen between the sticks playing for us.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1030 
      Reply #14: Dec 28, 2023 08:36:06 pm

Interesting.

Ali definitely has a mistake in him and his distribution is not always great however I think he saves us far far more points than he costs us. His positioning is brilliant and no keeper is better in a one on one situation.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,389 posts | 2823 
      Reply #15: Dec 28, 2023 08:40:02 pm
      Forget best keeper I've seen for us, he's right up there with the best keepers I've ever seen full stop.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,184 posts | 1099 
      Reply #16: Dec 28, 2023 10:15:02 pm
      Forget best keeper I've seen for us, he's right up there with the best keepers I've ever seen full stop.
      💯
      Kind of perplexed the author of this post finds fault with him.....
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,220 posts | 1222 
      Reply #17: Dec 28, 2023 10:24:13 pm
      Think he's the best we've had since Ray Clemence. I think his raw ability is insane and whilst I was a huge fan of Pepe Reina I personally don't think there is any comparison at their respective peaks.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6742 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #18: Dec 28, 2023 11:15:37 pm
      I F***ing love him but once a game you can count on him to play some silly ball for no reason whatsoever, that puts us under pressure for the next 5 mins.

Drives me insane, but he's still the Best in the World for me because he's OURS and all the good he does far outweighs that nervousness I feel for 5 minutes.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,710 posts | 3717 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #19: Dec 29, 2023 07:02:11 am
      I remember from Sander Westerveld's day onward. Alisson was the greatest from the new millennium onwards.

Thanks for everything.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts | 299 
      Reply #20: Dec 29, 2023 08:22:36 am

I respect your opinion and you've probably watched a lot more LFC games than me but I think Allison is the best goalkeeper we've had in my time (not old enough to have watched Clemence).

Rafa played a much more conservative game that Klopp, who asks his players to take a lot more risks. I think most of Ali's mistakes come from trying high risk passing or getting caught out of position as a sweeper, he's much more involved in the game. Reina could focus a lot more on just making saves.
      I think they could both make occasional errors when stopping shots, but all goalkeepers will make some mistakes.

Congratulations on getting to 250 games. Another 250 please.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,296 posts | 1403 
      Reply #21: Dec 29, 2023 12:44:09 pm
      Never been a keeper who doesn't make mistakes. Obviously Clem never really played out from the back the way they do now but he read the game as well as any. Agile, stayed on his toes as we battered teams.So concentration top rated. Great on crosses, never an issue. Never charged off his line, very rarely flapped at it. But we had a great teams in front of him and that obviously helped him. Because of that he was hardly ever MOTM.

Top 3 that I've seen Clem, Pepe and Ali.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,546 posts | 1093 
      Reply #22: Dec 29, 2023 12:53:42 pm
      Between Ali and Clem for best keeper we've had. Nobody else comes close in the modern era. Hopefully plenty of years left in Alisson yet.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,338 posts | 6390 
      Reply #23: Jan 04, 2024 01:57:10 pm
      Ali is literally like having another outfield player who just happens to be one of the best (the best?) keepers in the world. Like others I wasn't privileged enough to see Clemence play but Ali is what I'll always think of when someone mentions a Liverpool keeper. I did love me some Pepe Reina but if I'm picking between the two..it's Allison all the way.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,710 posts | 3717 
      Reply #24: Jan 04, 2024 02:22:09 pm
      As some here, I know about Clemence but never ever saw him.

Alisson was the back bone for our UCL and PL winning trophy.

Hope many more big trophies for him.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,345 posts | 1532 
      Reply #25: Jan 04, 2024 05:39:09 pm
      As some here, I know about Clemence but never ever saw him.

Alisson was the back bone for our UCL and PL winning trophy.

Hope many more big trophies for him.

Clem was like having another centre half on the pitch. In the  1978 spurs game at Anfield that we won 7 - 0, if you watch it through, I think you'll find Clem won 3.   1 v 1's outside his box to prevent spuds getting anything from the game. They must have been well pissed off with him while the goals were raining in at the other end.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,710 posts | 3717 
      Reply #26: Jan 05, 2024 12:32:26 am
      Clem was like having another centre half on the pitch. In the  1978 spurs game at Anfield that we won 7 - 0, if you watch it through, I think you'll find Clem won 3.   1 v 1's outside his box to prevent spuds getting anything from the game. They must have been well pissed off with him while the goals were raining in at the other end.

Like Neuer used to be? He was a sweeper?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1780 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #27: Jan 05, 2024 11:54:34 am
      Brucie still my fave goalie. Loved Pepe Reina too.

But Ali is another level.

Quick Reply