Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. MOTM v Newcastle

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      2 (2.8%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (4.2%)
      Ibrahima Konate
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      21 (29.2%)
      Dom Szoboszlai
      0 (0%)
      Wataru Endo
      6 (8.3%)
      Mo Salah
      30 (41.7%)
      Luis Diaz
      4 (5.6%)
      Darwin Nunez
      1 (1.4%)
      Diogo Jota
      3 (4.2%)
      Cody Gakpo
      0 (0%)
      Alexis Mac Allister
      1 (1.4%)
      Ryan Gravenberch
      1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Voting closed: Jan 04, 2024 10:46:31 pm

Liverpool 4-2 Newcastle: In game and post match discussion

Read 11208 times
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,028 posts | 529 
      Re: Liverpool 4-2 Newcastle: In game and post match discussion
      Reply #621: Jan 01, 2024 11:38:03 pm
      Thought Jota should've stayed on his feet for the 2nd pen, although there was contact. Diaz one was a stonewaller, don't know why they were acting like there was any doubt about it.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #622: Jan 01, 2024 11:41:24 pm
      Thought Jota should've stayed on his feet for the 2nd pen, although there was contact. Diaz one was a stonewaller, don't know why they were acting like there was any doubt about it.

Certainly very soft but with goal at his mercy why go down allowing the risk of.us missing it . Suppose only Jota Will know
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,127 posts | 83 
      Reply #623: Jan 02, 2024 12:16:11 am
      Gravenberch worries me as he is developing backwards. I begin to see why he was not in the starting 11 of Bayern and why they sold him. Still early but still concerning.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #624: Jan 02, 2024 12:38:11 am

Agree. I thought he still had the chance to slot it in the net. He definitely dived. He took a step after he was tripped up. But, who cares. We got the goal anyway.
      Harrisimo

• 8,288 posts | 1402 
      Reply #625: Jan 02, 2024 12:55:49 am
      Agree. I thought he still had the chance to slot it in the net. He definitely dived. He took a step after he was tripped up. But, who cares. We got the goal anyway.

But yer can't be sure he hadn't lost his balance. There was contact and he might've felt he would lose balance completely when going for the shot. It was a 50/50 call and yes we got the benefit. Taylor got all 3 pens right two for us and none for them.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #626: Jan 02, 2024 12:56:05 am

It was his left leg that was caught so he was off balance when he went to put that one down again. Definite pen for me. Only looks questionable on super slow mo.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #627: Jan 02, 2024 12:59:40 am
      'll say again Taylor is down on the books as being an Altricham fan. My mate is a ref in the lower leagues big United fan down as a Bury fan.

It's all bullshit. Tierney down as a Wigan fan. Come off it. Never known as many lower league fans as PL referees.

Taylor tried twice tonight to put Salah off for his pen. Worked the first time for him. Second time Mo respotted the ball and composed himself.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #628: Jan 02, 2024 03:19:20 am
      It's all bullshit. Tierney down as a Wigan fan. Come off it. Never known as many lower league fans as PL referees.

Taylor tried twice tonight to put Salah off for his pen. Worked the first time for him. Second time Mo respotted the ball and composed himself.

Yep they clearly find a way to get these guys into taking on the top ref jobs despite them being fans of PL clubs.
      ghred
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #629: Jan 02, 2024 05:25:19 am
      No side has kept more clean sheets than us this season. We've literally conceded the fewest goals in the PL...
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,703 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #630: Jan 02, 2024 07:02:31 am
      Jones was top class. Diaz was a live wire too. Salah's assists were class. Gomez is showing his quality too.

Hope that when Salah and Endo come back, we are still top of the league.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #631: Jan 02, 2024 09:38:22 am
      Brilliant performance, great win, top of the league, what more do we want ?? Well, F***ing Everything on offer is my answer and I think we are in with a great chance of doing exactly that!!

Played really well and we at times seen a glimpse of the kind of performance that will become regular once the transition period ends….with each passing week we are improving all the time, the kick in the nuts is losing Mo & Endo to Afcon just as we’re finding our rhythm…..
      But fear ye not Red Brethren, we still have the tools to resume our journey to the promise land, we just need to tweak here & there…temporarily of course….

Looks like Szlobs has done his hammy, hopefully not out too long but this could prove a blessing, he’s been off the boil now for a spell, maybe the rest will do him good, so long as we don’t lose another we should be fine,

Was Elliot injured was expecting him to feature second half, anyone?

I’m gonna leave the post match report to our sensational summariser DLS, No One Does It Better, as some f**ker sang about James Bond, he’s sauve , sophisticated and certainly knows his onions, and Bond is a Cnut…. So over to you Billy la, looking forward to this…..

Oh Sorry, did I mention……

….. WE’RE TOP OF THE LEAGUE !!!….

….. BY THREE CLEAR…lovely wonderful points !!!!!

YNWA
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #632: Jan 02, 2024 09:40:15 am
      It was his left leg that was caught so he was off balance when he went to put that one down again. Definite pen for me. Only looks questionable on super slow mo.

Exactly - 100% pen.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #633: Jan 02, 2024 09:48:50 am
      Gravenberch worries me as he is developing backwards. I begin to see why he was not in the starting 11 of Bayern and why they sold him. Still early but still concerning.

eht ylno gniht s’taht drawkcab si uoy!!

TAWT !!

AWNY
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 765 
      Reply #634: Jan 02, 2024 11:52:05 am
      Great game to watch, really could and should have scored a few more goals. Although will take 4  2 and the three points to keep us at the top.

Btw Glad Jürgen found his wedding ring, seemingly nearly "losing it" in the excitement of the game.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #635: Jan 02, 2024 01:24:00 pm
      Just out from the game. Good atmosphere, cracking game, should have been about 7 for us!

Highest xG ever recorded (since that became a thing recorded).
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #636: Jan 02, 2024 01:31:12 pm
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #637: Jan 02, 2024 02:10:42 pm
      This game reminded me of our performance vs West Ham in the Carabao Cup - total domination from the start, chance after chance being created, simply phenomenal football. Weirdly though, for a moment it looked like this one could end in frustration - whereas West Ham capitulated much sooner - but I am proud of how the team kept going and eventually got their reward.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #638: Jan 02, 2024 04:24:33 pm
      One of the most obvious things to be taken from the game is Newcastle really are sh*t aren't they?

But as sh*t as they were, we were F***ing boss up until it came to putting the ball in the back of the net especially in the first half. The goals we did score were all within the six yard box, other than the penalty. I don't even think their keeper made any really top class saves, most of our efforts were just hit at him.

Defensively we were solid for the most part but when we did slip up, we were punished. The defensive efforts from Trent and Dom in the lead up to their first goal was embarrassing. The pair of them just let Gordon (I think) slip between them and play Isak in. I know they were trying to label the blame on Virg but it should never have got to that stage.

We were always in complete control but made it more nervy than it needed to be with the two goals we gave them. And ultimately as long as we keep winning, then we can play like that every week for all I care. Blow a hatful of chances, concede on the odd attack the opposition have and still come away with three points. That'll do.

Alisson - had very little to do other than pick the ball out of the net. Can't fault for him for either goal.

Alexander-Arnold - tried too many "hollywood" passes for my liking during the game and they didn't really come off too often. As I mentioned at the top as well, his efforts for their first goal were so F***ing poor.

Konate - absolute monster.

Van Dijk - he was getting the praise he deserves before the game due to his upturn in form and it was on display agains yesterday. Forget the goal, that wasn't his fault.

Gomez - another decent performance from Joey, who will be have to be wrapped up in cotton wool now with the injuries we've got at left back.

Szoboszlai - can we send him to the Asia Cup and keep Endo here? Maybe the injury will turn out to be a blessing for him because it'll give him time to rest up and hopefully return to the better form he showed at the start of the season because recently he's been way below par and was again yesterday, with very little success when it came to finding a red shirt with a pass.

Endo - another solid, dependable performance from our number 3 with his standard booking. He's definately giving us something in the middle of the park, a little bit of bite, a little bit of experience and a little bit of calmness on the ball.

Jones - I don't think he was as good as some have made out but nice to see him on the scoresheet again. He's now got more goals under Jürgen than Henderson managed. We know he'll work hard and there's a player in there but it's about putting it all together.

Salah - started brightly, missed the pen and it seemed to effect him for the rest of the half but second half he was as good as anybody on the planet. The goal early in the second half certainly helped him and his confidence. And then his passes that led to the other goals were incredible. And some may be making a song and dance about his misses from the spot but that one against Newcastle was his first miss in five, which sounds a lot better than four of his last ten. I think he knew we needed to score the first so he just went for power down the middle expecting the keeper to dive but instead their keeper stayed up and got the save. Second time round, it was a more composed penalty because we were already leading and he slotted it away making it five goals from his last six penalities.

Nunez - he's becoming Dirk Kuyt isn't he? Works his bollocks off for the cause but doesn't score on a regular basis but when he does, you know it'll be vitally important like the goals in the reverse fixture. If we didn't get the three points, his misses would be highlighted a whole lot more though because there were some bad ones in there.

Diaz - another performance where I thought he was as dangerous as anyone in Red. He was going past their players with ease and could have easily had a goal to his name. Clear penalty as well. Also can we just take a moment to mention how good his touch was after the Nunez dummy to lead to the pen.

Gravenberch - I've been one of the loudest cheering him but the last couple of games he's really been poor, almost as bad as Szoboszlai (almost!). Few weeks back I was saying he more than deserved to be starting games but he's regressed slightly in recent games. Hopefully he finds his form back.

Gakpo - another goal to his name and has now scored more than he did last year. Wasn't the cleanest finish but it went in.

Jota - he's been back for two games and made such an impact in both. Another clear penalty as he was caught and then when he tried to put his left foot down again he was off balance. F**k Gary Neville the bitter F***ing manc c**t. It was a clear pen.

Mac Allister - I voted for Mac as man of the match just for that pass alone that led to Jota's pen. I mean F**k me that was lovely. Broke the play up and that played that pass. I've criticised him heavily during his time here but in that little cameo yesterday he showed exactly why we signed him. In his last two Anfield appearances he's scored that goal against Fulham and then makes that pass. Keep it up Macca lad.

Overall we were a bit sloppy in front of goal but still scored four. We extended our lead at the top of the table. We keep it in our hands and people can talk about how we can only win the title if City slip up, well they need us to slip up first. It's as good as we've played for 90 minutes for some time, especially in the League.

Quadruple is still on.

And Jürgen is one happy manager, which makes me one very happy fan.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,244 posts | 922 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #639: Jan 02, 2024 04:25:16 pm

The only one telling the truth is n*b Jones (Liverpool fan) the rest supporting lower placed teams, the rest lying bent bas**rds.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1630 
      Reply #640: Jan 02, 2024 05:02:39 pm
      Spotted our own Mr Batez in the front row last night would put his mugshot up but don’t know how to do it Good  to see you on form Alan , cmon reds still top and rightly so .
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,565 posts | 730 
      Reply #641: Jan 02, 2024 10:09:22 pm
      Kind of amazing seeing all the Doom & Gloom from some fans and the media after this game, when we are literally top of the league, have the best defense in the league, 2nd best attack, 1 defeat in 31 league games (a dodgy defeat at that). And would have had 5 more points at least, if it wasn't for VAR. Like, what more do you people want?

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,778 posts | 6725 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #642: Jan 03, 2024 12:49:52 am

Jones - I don't think he was as good as some have made out but nice to see him on the scoresheet again. He's now got more goals under Jürgen than Henderson managed. We know he'll work hard and there's a player in there but it's about putting it all together.

Total agreeance mate, was thinking ok, I know I am stoned but I didn't think he was great as everyone was saying.

I feel better now, hearing the same from you.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #643: Jan 03, 2024 10:28:04 am
      Total agreeance mate, was thinking ok, I know I am stoned but I didn't think he was great as everyone was saying.

I feel better now, hearing the same from you.

Seen a thing on the clubs insta that had Jones covering the most distance, winning possession back more than anyone else and winning the most duels.

So maybe he did have a better game than we’re giving him credit for.

Quick Reply