Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Arsenal?

Alisson Becker
      1 (1.2%)
      Joe Gomez
      3 (3.7%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      9 (11%)
      Ibrahima KonatƩ
      57 (69.5%)
      Jarell Quansah
      4 (4.9%)
      Alexis Mac Allister
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      0 (0%)
      Luis Diaz
      5 (6.1%)
      Darwin NĆŗƱez
      0 (0%)
      Cody Gakpo
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      2 (2.4%)
      Ryan Gravenberch
      0 (0%)
      Bobby Clark
      0 (0%)
      Conor Bradley
      1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Voting closed: Jan 11, 2024 06:24:42 pm

Arsenal 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 10693 times
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,882 posts | 421 
      Re: Arsenal 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #483: Jan 08, 2024 11:58:44 am
      xG should not spoil nothing, it should just give perspective. We belong at the top of the league, we deserved to win vs. Arsenal, no doubt, but we skate on thin ice. Iā€˜d be curious if Klopp uses xG or some similiar stat tool. A question I would like some journalist to ask him.

But the only game we've lost In ages was that silly Spurs game and even with 9 men we nearly got a point.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,122 posts | 450 
      Reply #484: Jan 08, 2024 12:04:34 pm
      Think Elliott was subbed to release Trent into midfield. Jones was the real surprise as he has proved his worth and is maturing into a top player. Clark has only had a few mins against B'Mouth. Brave or mad?

I think there are certain situations where when pulled off it is genius and if not then it is madness.  This could be classified as such.  I play snooker in the leagues and its a 1 frame format and I always tell my players there are certain shots which are difficult and if you pull them off they are for me great shots,  but if you miss them they are pathetic shot selection as you leave a great chance. 

He made the changes and the youngsters were very good,  giving a breather to Curtis and Elliot, and giving the kids a huge injection of confidence.  Keeping the likes of Elliot and Jones on their toes that we have deeper competition coming in.   And most importantly getting the win genius for me definitely. 

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,345 posts | 1531 
      Reply #485: Jan 08, 2024 12:14:52 pm

Yeah, I was screaming at the cheating ref for that. That surely has to be deliberate 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #486: Jan 08, 2024 12:32:42 pm

There was no rose tints from you lot in the match thread Billy. Christ you were all saying how sh*te you was.  😆 Never watched the match due to still being in oily land so I simply canā€™t comment on how bad you apparently played. Members saying you should have been 3-0 down at half time but yet again you lot stand in sh!t and come out smelling of roses.

I do agree with you though, your certainty no pundit with the tints on. 😂😂

I suppose as a manc I have to put my tints on and say well at least itā€™s another match for you in the FA Cup whereas the gunners can now concentrate on the league a bit more.     :f_whistle:

Without the tints on thought I will say this. You tw@ts donā€™t know when your beat at the moment 🤢 Time after time playing poorly yet still getting the results. 🤦ā€ā™‚ļø

One of my sons mates who also lives over here is big scouse fan and we played golf together yesterday.   I gave him hell on the course ( banter 😆 ) and on the 19th. Fair to say he gave me plenty back, obviously!!  He played with a pink ball till he lost it 🤦ā€ā™‚ļø who plays with a pink ball ? Must of been a women in disguise, he went on like one. ( bit like you )   Fortunately I took the Dirham off him just like Iā€™ll be taking your Ā£50 to good causes at the end of the year.  😉

Jesus wept leave it out Keith!!
      Your crew are the jammiest side ever, before VAR the decisions to your benefit particularly at OT were unbelievable, the biased officials were selected time and time again to officiate.
      Sometimes the ref even overruled the VAR decision.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,292 posts | 1403 
      Reply #487: Jan 08, 2024 12:49:41 pm
      I think there are certain situations where when pulled off it is genius and if not then it is madness.  This could be classified as such.  I play snooker in the leagues and its a 1 frame format and I always tell my players there are certain shots which are difficult and if you pull them off they are for me great shots,  but if you miss them they are pathetic shot selection as you leave a great chance. 

He made the changes and the youngsters were very good,  giving a breather to Curtis and Elliot, and giving the kids a huge injection of confidence.  Keeping the likes of Elliot and Jones on their toes that we have deeper competition coming in.   And most importantly getting the win genius for me definitely.

I play snooker as well, in fact built a full sized snooker room in my son's garden. Re covered the table ourselves. Had to go through building control as it was over the permitted size.

Yeah Clark was a big risk. Could've back fired as the lad is still 18. Attacking midfielder and he didn't fail the test. As you say bit of madness about the decision given the state of the game. 2 or 3 up and it's no real risk.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #488: Jan 08, 2024 02:07:30 pm
      In the 75th minute Jones & Elliott were subbed. And I'm sure both of them looked gobsmacked when they saw Bradley and Clark coming on. It was still 0-0 and both players had improved from the first half as had most of our team. Was it madness or genius from our gaffer?

Bit of both I suspect.

Well Iā€™m sure all of us who are not at training would go crazy. To us, the subs were new names and unproven against seniors in the big league, at least on paper.

But Klopp has all the information on their abilities and knows they are capable of the required tasks.

To those who passed judgement prematurely, there will be some of us here surely at least some anxious ones, he does have the last laugh.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #489: Jan 08, 2024 02:15:33 pm
      Well Iā€™m sure all of us who are not at training would go crazy. To us, the subs were new names and unproven against seniors in the big league, at least on paper.

But Klopp has all the information on their abilities and knows they are capable of the required tasks.

To those who passed judgement prematurely, there will be some of us here surely at least some anxious ones, he does have the last laugh.

The one thing Klopp has proved time and again if you put in the effort work hard at your game he will give you the opportunity to shine and if your good enough , he will let you flourish in the team , as heā€™s said on numerous occasions he loves seeing kids come through and making it .
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,122 posts | 450 
      Reply #490: Jan 08, 2024 02:33:49 pm
      I play snooker as well, in fact built a full sized snooker room in my son's garden. Re covered the table ourselves. Had to go through building control as it was over the permitted size.

Wow!   Wouldn't mind one myself but just don't have the room!   Well my garden is very high and the best place to have such a room is about 20 meters high.   Just imagining carrying the material up them steps especially the slates with my Knees is making dizzy!  :lmao:

ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #491: Jan 08, 2024 02:34:44 pm
      We belong at the top as we've gathered the most points. Simple as that.

I'm all for looking at stats but there is a tendency to over analyse them as well.

We have that inner strength and mentality that is sometimes hard to measure which is ultimately crucial to a winning side.

Me has learnt:

1) we donā€™t need to play entertaining football all the time. Even then we might not win.
      2) we only need to defend like our lives depend on it and make each moment count in front of goal.

Smash and grab, win ugly. Most important is the result. Entertaining Hollywood football is just icing on the cake. The most important stat is the final score.
      Harrisimo

• 8,292 posts | 1403 
      Reply #492: Jan 08, 2024 03:11:41 pm
      Wow!   Wouldn't mind one myself but just don't have the room!   Well my garden is very high and the best place to have such a room is about 20 meters high.   Just imagining carrying the material up them steps especially the slates with my Knees is making dizzy!  :lmao:

Took us nearly a year. I'm not a builder just do DIY. The ground was soft so we used 1.5m ground screws. 20 of them for the foundations. We just got within the building control flat roof span tables at 5.2m width 7,5m length. Put on a one piece EPDM rubber roof. It was a fun project and building control were actually very helpful.

Only issue we have now is the water run off. Water people said we can trench it into the drain.Summer job.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,027 posts | 2718 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #493: Jan 08, 2024 03:37:36 pm
      Jesus wept leave it out Keith!!
      Your crew are the jammiest side ever, before VAR the decisions to your benefit particularly at OT were unbelievable, the biased officials were selected time and time again to officiate.
      Sometimes the ref even overruled the VAR decision.

That was Fergie at his best mate.   :f_whistle:  :lmao:
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #494: Jan 08, 2024 03:38:32 pm
      Harrisimo

• 8,292 posts | 1403 
      Reply #495: Jan 08, 2024 04:24:27 pm
      Go there again on Feb 3 I think it is. I don't dislike Arteta, doing a good job after a nervy start. Big mates with Alonso, he's in Germany with some footy team.

So we got the drop on them yisterdee, but it probably won't mean much for the league game.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,020 posts | 3352 
      Reply #496: Jan 08, 2024 04:27:44 pm
      Well, well, well, the quadruple is still well and truly on again.

Oh and if anyone wants to know how we'll cope while Mo and Endo are off with their national sides, we'll cope with a very hard-fought, well deserved victory against a full strength side who are the, so called, nearest contenders to City's League title. And it wasn't just our Egyptian King and Japanese Warrior we were without, we were missing at least five of our first choice XI. Nearly half of what would be JĆ¼rgen's first XI were missing and we still walk away with a clean sheet, a victory and progression into the next round.

First half we were second best for the vast majority, though if Elliott plays the right pass in the opening two or three minutes to Nunez then there's a chance we actually take the lead early on. But football isn't a forty-five minute game, it's played over ninety minutes and over the course of the game we got what we deserved.

Couple of kids got some valuable minutes under their belts and not only that, they played a huge part in seeing us beat Arsenal. And some of these kids just continue to impress. Jarell Quansah, I am looking squarely at you when I say that. What a F***ing star you've been this season.

Well done Reds (or purples last night).

Alisson - couple of fairly decent saves that you'd expect him to make but was there when we needed him. Thought he'd of been given the night off but I reckon JĆ¼rgen will do what he back in 22 and leave Kelleher for the League Cup games even if we make the final.

Alexander-Arnold - gobsmacked that people have him down as man of the match because I thought he was really poor last night, especially in the right back position. Their most dangerous players were Nelson and Martinelli, both of whom were up against Trent. The chance where Nelson ran through to Ramsdale's long ball, he just left Trent for dead. Martinelli made him look like a schoolboy twice in a matter of minutes. His set pieces weren't great. Even the one that led to the opener was met by an Arsenal head, not ours. Once moved into midfield he was a bit better but was nowhere near as good as people (including MOTD) were making out.

Konate - tie this big b***ard down to a long-term deal now because in a couple of years he'll be the best centre half in the world. And while he's already at the biggest club in the world, money and the lure of going back home to France or playing for one of the Spanish giants may turn his head. But he's well on his way to being to Liverpool 2.0 what Virgil Van Dijk was to JĆ¼rgen's first great side. Absolute beast again last night, practically flawless.

Quansah - looked a little unsure of himself in the first half up until that injury scare but that seemed to liven him up and he then matched his centre half partner for flawlessness. I've already said it but what a F***ing star this lad has been for us. I don't know how many of us was expecting him to play this big a role in the team this season but he's taken it with both hands, so much that I'm not nervous going into games with him playing.

Gomez - got caught a couple of times dallying on the ball but once he switched his brain in gear he kept Saka so very quiet - for the second time in a couple of weeks. And I've been saying for weeks that he will score this season, now the commentators are saying the same thing. A thirty yard effort from left back by cutting in on his right foot wasn't how I was expecting him to break his duck but he tried. Been a big upturn in form this season from the previous years.

Gakpo - fairly invisible for most of the game bar that one turn, run and pass that led to Trent hitting the bar. I was one who thought he could play in midfield back in the summer but I'm really doubtful now. He's had a few go's there now and hasn't done much of note.

Mac Allister - wasn't bad by any means but didn't really do much either. I think over the last few weeks where Endo has been outstanding in that role, it was coming back to earth to see our "number 6" play the way Mac did. But he's coming back from a lengthy lay off so it's no surprise he wasn't quite at peak form.

Jones - last time I said he didn't play that well, the stats said otherwise so I'm a bit fearful saying he wasn't great again last night. And I thought there was a clear gap in quality between himself and Odegaard. Second half he grafted a bit more and got us going again but I don't remember too much else from his performance other than that turn that led to one of their lot getting booked.

Elliott - a real Jekyll and Hyde type player. His cameos from the bench this season have been, generally, top class but his starting berths have been way below par and last night was another in that category for me. First couple of minutes he should have played Nunez in with the outside of his left foot so Darwin could just run onto it and slot it home but he tried to pulling it back with his right foot which, even if it reached Nunez, would have forced Darwin to take at least a touch and lose the momentum of the attack. And it just got less effective from Harvey after that. Second half moving back into midfield seemed to help us but he still didn't really do much. How he got booked for disent yet Odergaard did the same thing three times and recieved nothing is beyond me.

Nunez - another Jekyll and Hyde type player. Almost anonymous in the first half but one of our better players in the second and seemed to relish playing on the left instead of through the middle. I think while Mo is with Egpyt, it should be Diaz on the right, Nunez left and Jota centrally. His sheer pace and power must give defenders nightmares though. His inability to finish on a regular basis must give keepers some hope though - but they must also have nightmares because there's always the possibility that against them is the day he turns it on.

Diaz - thought was getting unfairly bashed in the first half, when as usual he was our most threatening attacker. And then second half, moving over to the right, he showed his qualities on the opposite wing. Fantastic finish as well. I would like to see him release the ball a bit earlier at times rather than thinking he has to dribble past five players all the time but his feet are that good that I can see why he does try these things.

Gravenberch - he's been poor recently and while he wasn't outstanding last night, it was a step up from where he's been in the last few weeks. Nothing special by any stretch but no clear cock ups. I think he's one of those players who needs a good run in the team to really see the best of him. Not everybody is Danny Sturridge who can just turn it on after a number of weeks out.

Jota - here is a perfect example of someone who has just turned it on since his return from injury. He's been such a plus since returning to the side. Fantastic run and pass for Diaz's goal to settle the game. The lad just oozes class.

Bradley - fantastic showing from the young lad. Martinelli got no change whatsoever from this kid. Hopefully he can stay injury free and kick on from this performance because he's clearly got quality. He's gonna struggle to get regular games with Trent ahead of him but he can provide decent back up.

Clark - nice to see him get his first senior minutes of the season after a couple of showings last year. Didn't do much to stand out but wasn't made to look out of his depth either. With still plenty of games to play this year, he might get another run out somewhere down the line.

Overall we can be really proud of the performance last night.

We showed fight and heart in the first half and then showed our class and quality in the second.

Thank you once again JĆ¼rgen and our Redmen.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #497: Jan 08, 2024 04:43:04 pm
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,546 posts | 1776 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #498: Jan 08, 2024 05:00:41 pm
      Go there again on Feb 3 I think it is. I don't dislike Arteta, doing a good job after a nervy start. Big mates with Alonso, he's in Germany with some footy team.

So we got the drop on them yisterdee, but it probably won't mean much for the league game.

Disagree, klopp learned a lot yesterday, tactically anyway. So will be useful info for the next game.
      Harrisimo

• 8,292 posts | 1403 
      Reply #499: Jan 08, 2024 05:04:57 pm
      Ali..OK ish....7

Trent..OK ish ish...8
      Quanny..OK....6
      Kon..OK ish ish ish.....9*
      Jomez..OK....6

Elliott..OK -1....5
      Jones..OK........6
      Macallister..OK-2.....4

Gakpo..OK -1.....5
      Nunez..OK ish.....7
      Diaz OK ish........7

Jota..OK ish ish.....8
      Bradley...OK ish.....7
      Clark..OK ish.........7
      Graver..OK.......6

John Brooks ref...OK -2....4

Boss......OK ish ish ish.....9

BBC.
      Keown...OK -3.........3
      Murphy...OK ish........7
      Lineker....OK -1.........5
      Shearer.....Feckin' eejit....2.

tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,250 posts | 923 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #500: Jan 08, 2024 06:08:50 pm
      Yeah, I was screaming at the cheating ref for that. That surely has to be deliberate 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø

Bent as 9 Bob notes the lot of them
      Don77

• 6,545 posts | 1093 
      Reply #501: Jan 08, 2024 06:33:43 pm
      Bent as 9 Bob notes the lot of them

Now come on. They're not bias. They're not corrupt. They're just incompetent and made some mistakes. Absolutely no agenda against us ..... yeah whatever.

As I always say .... its in plain sight. They don't try and hide it because they are untouchable.

Remember when a linesman elbowed one of our players in the face ... remember how quickly it went away??? They're untouchable.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #502: Jan 08, 2024 07:57:52 pm
      That was Fergie at his best mate.   :f_whistle:  :lmao:

Nah Keith Fergie's best move was leaving yuz with a bag of sh*te when he got off!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,709 posts | 3717 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #503: Jan 08, 2024 08:09:28 pm
      We will host Norwich (Championship) or Bristol Rovers (League 1). Decent enough to rotate the team.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5006 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #504: Jan 08, 2024 08:42:32 pm

Really ? Maybe Iā€™m wrong but I thought we handed Arteta his arse on a plate, No Virgil, No Robbo, No Tsimikas, No Endo, No Szlobos, No Mo, thatā€™s FIVE of our regular starters missing, yet we went there soaked up their feebleness with gay abandon, they thru everything but the kitchen sink and still couldnā€™t score,

Yes we were under the pump for the best part of a hour, not our problem they couldnā€™t find the onion bag tho is it ?

Me, I canā€™t wait to go there again, this time tho weā€™ll put a end to their title aspirations, you obviously see it differently, they are a decent side to be fair, however, they had their opportunity last season without us challenging, but weā€™re back almost to our best and back to being the only side capable of staying with the Fraudsters, again, Arsenal bottled out, something they seem to make a habit of !!

YNWA

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6741 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #505: Jan 09, 2024 12:51:57 am
      DLS I always love reading your player reviews after each game and this is another one u got spot on. So much of that I agree with especially the Trent MOTM shouts. I gave mine to Konate with Jota coming in a close second, even if he was on the pitch for only 20 odd minutes. He changed the game for me.

Quick Reply