Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Arsenal?

Alisson Becker
      1 (1.2%)
      Joe Gomez
      3 (3.7%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      9 (11%)
      Ibrahima Konaté
      57 (69.5%)
      Jarell Quansah
      4 (4.9%)
      Alexis Mac Allister
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      0 (0%)
      Luis Diaz
      5 (6.1%)
      Darwin Núñez
      0 (0%)
      Cody Gakpo
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      2 (2.4%)
      Ryan Gravenberch
      0 (0%)
      Bobby Clark
      0 (0%)
      Conor Bradley
      1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Voting closed: Jan 11, 2024 06:24:42 pm

Arsenal 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 13108 times
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Re: Arsenal 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #437: Jan 07, 2024 07:24:09 pm
      When is the draw taking place ?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,265 posts | 3503 
      Reply #438: Jan 07, 2024 07:25:35 pm

Tomorrow
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,265 posts | 3503 
      Reply #439: Jan 07, 2024 07:25:46 pm
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,447 posts | 1441 
      Reply #440: Jan 07, 2024 07:27:13 pm
      Oh wow did not see us scoring after 79 mins. Just like the saying game of 2 halves

Huge credit to Klopp. He could see the shape wasn't quite working. Nudged Nunez out wide left. Moved Cody, took Elliott a bit deeper. And his subs worked with Bradley right back, releasing Trent into mid. Bobby Clarke didn't look out of place either.

Maca was struggling a bit, might not be fully up to speed after his injury, but he needs to add a bit of intensity to his game.Cool on the ball but sometimes looks a bit stiff and ponderous.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,990 posts | 5048 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #441: Jan 07, 2024 07:31:06 pm
      Rode our luck a bit first half, however not our fault they can’t finish, don’t have a finisher, we were never going to be at our optimum without Virgil & Endo’s brains & brawn, nor the finesse of a creator, what we did have though is a mentality that no other EPL side can match, not even that fraudulent lot,

We were under the pump for long periods yet we have yet another clean sheet to show for the fantastic team effort from top to bottom, thought Konate was immense and showed he is ready for when Virgil hangs them up, and right next to him was Virgil’s replacement, another almost faultless performance from young Jarrell, not advocating Virgil has a sabbatical, just promoting we are in safe hands for a few years yet,

That second half though, can’t emphasise enough how brilliant that was, we all knew we had to improve and we did, Elliot, Gakpo & Jones all done their jobs effectively and efficiently and they won us that first half, again, not our problem they couldn’t score, but we had to change things after the hour, no way would we have lasted 90+ without conceding,

With fresh legs and fresh positivity we could see the tide turning, and when Connor & Bobby came on it was only a matter of time before we scored, Connor had Martinelli in his pocket, and Bobby took one for the team, preventing a dangerous situation,  ….since the inception of the academy, name me a young player who has failed to impress when given a opportunity…..??

Again Nunez will get all the wrong headlines for failing to score blah blah f***in blah, but we all know what he brings to the party, and if so called experts, pundits & Know All’s can’t figure that out then their not worth listening to, I’m no expert, I’m no pundit, and don’t really know anything, but I can see what Darwin is all about, can see what he brings to the party, and again today he was a right pain in the arse of Arse, he creates space for other to exploit, he provides assists, holds the ball up well, and when required he defends well too, what more do you f***in want, eh, ok maybe a few more goals 🤪

Cracking win that, played Arse who gave everything but still not good enough, at their gaff, for a laff, dunno if this is true but Budweiser have opened a bottling plant nearby, not sure of the correlation though !! 😜

YNWA
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #442: Jan 07, 2024 07:31:59 pm
      Would be nice to see shearers reaction off camera when Diaz smashed the second one in 😂😂

Also struggling for a motm. So many goodies.
      Although he wasn’t on long, I’m gonna go with Connor Bradley, cos once he came on, the martinelli threat down our right, just disappeared into thin air.
      Contributed a lot to us winning that.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,333 posts | 774 
      Reply #443: Jan 07, 2024 07:37:43 pm
      Well done to Konate and the defence, to thwart the Arsenal from scoring, when they seemed at their best in the first half.

Seem to turn the game in the second half, with Trent's cross sending confusion in the gunners defence, with finally Jota producing a fine assist for Luis.

Surely the Reds are due some silverware by the end of the season !
      « Last Edit: Jan 07, 2024 09:20:53 pm by David Wright »
      Harrisimo

• 8,447 posts | 1441 
      Reply #444: Jan 07, 2024 07:43:29 pm
      Connor Bradley up against Martinelli did very well. Just checked and he clocked up 41 games for Bolton on loan. So cheers Bolton.
      Is he ready, at 20 to play RB with Trent in mid. Well it's an in game option as we saw today. Could be a bit early but I'd give it a go V Fulham. Just for the semi's..not the league just yet.
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 996 posts | 69 
      Reply #445: Jan 07, 2024 07:59:41 pm
      Obvious man of the match but must say when Jota came on he’s so calm and cool on the ball , great awareness and doesn’t waste opportunities .
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,990 posts | 5048 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #446: Jan 07, 2024 07:59:50 pm
      Connor Bradley up against Martinelli did very well. Just checked and he clocked up 41 games for Bolton on loan. So cheers Bolton.
      Is he ready, at 20 to play RB with Trent in mid. Well it's an in game option as we saw today. Could be a bit early but I'd give it a go V Fulham. Just for the semi's..not the league just yet.

How can it be too early,  Trent was 18 when he made his debut, of course he’s ready, against Fulham this what I expect to see, hence giving the lad a few familiarity moments today, possible we could see young Callum Chambers at LB too, and shift Joe back to CB, Trent as DM, aside from Chambers we could start how we ended today, with the exception perhaps of young Bobby Clark, but that’s for another debate on Wednesday,

Connor is more than ready, I was impressed with prior to his loan spell at Bolton last season, it’s looking like it’s paid off for him, another academy graduate that has saved the club a few million!!

YNWA
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #447: Jan 07, 2024 08:05:07 pm
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,615 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #448: Jan 07, 2024 08:10:17 pm
      The squad is doing amazing without so many players..... Salah, endo, sobo, virg, Robbo, matip, Kostas, thiago, bajetic, doak.  A whole team missing.
      Harrisimo

• 8,447 posts | 1441 
      Reply #449: Jan 07, 2024 08:14:16 pm

How can it be too early,  Trent was 18 when he made his debut, of course he’s ready, against Fulham this what I expect to see, hence giving the lad a few familiarity moments today, possible we could see young Callum Chambers at LB too, and shift Joe back to CB, Trent as DM, aside from Chambers we could start how we ended today, with the exception perhaps of young Bobby Clark, but that’s for another debate on Wednesday,

Connor is more than ready, I was impressed with prior to his loan spell at Bolton last season, it’s looking like it’s paid off for him, another academy graduate that has saved the club a few million!!

YNWA

Well yes your right. If your good enough, your old enough. Just might hold back on the league or could go with it at home in the league but is it more of a desire to get Trent in mid. It's a tempter. We want to get the absolute max out of Trent but we have to be sure we get RB right. It's a vital position no matter who plays there. Bringing Joe over wouldn't do Bradley's confidence any good.

Only way to find out is go with it. Klopp might be mindful that 2/3 incidents where a young player gets skinned or makes a bad mistake can do a lot of damage. One game killed Karius. Obviously a keeper but get my drift. Great prospect though and the Boss might be thinking along the same lines as you. Certainly go with it for the Fulham games.
      Kurt Cocaine
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 873 posts | 144 
      Reply #450: Jan 07, 2024 08:51:26 pm
      That's a brilliant win, 0-2 away to Arsenal. Keeping a clean sheet away from home against a top rival is always a good thing....
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,131 posts | 83 
      Reply #451: Jan 07, 2024 08:58:45 pm
      xG: Arsenal 1.85 LFC 0.85, so in all fairness statistically Arsenal should have won 2-1 or 1-0. I like the xG stat because it gives u a better picture about a team. For a fan it prevents disappointments or unrealistic expectations, for a coach a more realistic view onto his team. Like if you follow the league thru xG/xGA/xPts you know that we are overperforming massively right now and that we do not belong at the top if it wasnt for luck (we‘d be 3rd). So a drop in the future should not raise particular concern.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,701 posts | 1656 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #452: Jan 07, 2024 09:03:02 pm
      No Mo, no Virgil and no Endo, 3 VIP yet we still beat the cockney's on their own patch - massive win that and what a team we have. Superb.

Bet no-one wants to meet us in the draw tomorrow - bring it on.

well done lads, so proud.
      Harrisimo

• 8,447 posts | 1441 
      Reply #453: Jan 07, 2024 09:10:04 pm
      xG: Arsenal 1.85 LFC 0.85, so in all fairness statistically Arsenal should have won 2-1 or 1-0. I like the xG stat because it gives u a better picture about a team. For a fan it prevents disappointments or unrealistic expectations, for a coach a more realistic view onto his team. Like if you follow the league thru xG/xGA/xPts you know that we are overperforming massively right now and that we do not belong at the top if it wasnt for luck (we‘d be 3rd). So a drop in the future should not raise particular concern.

Well Fibo the game isn't decided by stats. Personally never bother looking at xG stats. Old school I'm afraid. We obviously have our 'performance' team but I have no idea of any of the info. Can tell yer whose top of the league and how many apples in a barrel of grapes.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,149 posts | 2147 
      Reply #454: Jan 07, 2024 09:12:40 pm
      The match was, at the end of the day, another masterclass in game management and tactics from Jürgen and Co.

A lot has been said about our first half performance and how we rode our luck. We definitely did on a couple of occasions but it has to be said, Arsenal were relentless in their aggression and press. To have held them at bay in that first half, with luck and determination, was an achievement.

But the difference in quality between the two managers really showed in that second half. In hindsight, Arsenal put too many of their chips on that first half. They couldn't keep up the pace and aggression of the first half and it showed. They aren't the first team to have used up most of their fuel in the first 45 against us (and won't be the last...heck I remember when we were like that in 2016 under Jürgen and 10 years ago with Brendan) Meanwhile, there is Liverpool just waiting for the game to come to them and come to them it did. The decision to put Clark and Bradley on was brave but a masterstroke in the end. Freeing up Trent even more was top tier tactics. It really showed the faith that Jürgen had in Bradley especially to do the job against Martinelli. Conor must have felt 10 ft tall at the end. A superb cameo.

If I didn't give Konate my MOTM, it would have been for Trent. He uses that right foot like Michaelangelo used a paintbrush. He was spraying the balls over the top of that Arsenal defence like nothing else. What a sight it is and adds a unique extra dimension to our game that few other teams in the world have.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #455: Jan 07, 2024 09:18:54 pm
      We started weakened and statistically (with the youngsters) got weaker.
      Arse started strong, and got stronger !

We smashed it 👍
      Harrisimo

• 8,447 posts | 1441 
      Reply #456: Jan 07, 2024 09:20:45 pm
      The match was, at the end of the day, another masterclass in game management and tactics from Jürgen and Co.

A lot has been said about our first half performance and how we rode our luck. We definitely did on a couple of occasions but it has to be said, Arsenal were relentless in their aggression and press. To have held them at bay in that first half, with luck and determination, was an achievement.

But the difference in quality between the two managers really showed in that second half. In hindsight, Arsenal put too many of their chips on that first half. They couldn't keep up the pace and aggression of the first half and it showed. They aren't the first team to have used up most of their fuel in the first 45 against us (and won't be the last...heck I remember when we were like that in 2016 under Jürgen and 10 years ago with Brendan) Meanwhile, there is Liverpool just waiting for the game to come to them and come to them it did. The decision to put Clark and Bradley on was brave but a masterstroke in the end. Freeing up Trent even more was top tier tactics. It really showed the faith that Jürgen had in Bradley especially to do the job against Martinelli. Conor must have felt 10 ft tall at the end. A superb cameo.

If I didn't give Konate my MOTM, it would have been for Trent. He uses that right foot like Michaelangelo used a paintbrush. He was spraying the balls over the top of that Arsenal defence like nothing else. What a sight it is and adds a unique extra dimension to our game that few other teams in the world have.

Yeah joy to watch when he's on song. Brilliant analogy of Trent. And it's just a matter of time before Trent is played in midf ull time. How much longer can the boss resist it. Just a matter of getting the RB sorted and Bradley is certainly a real prospect for that spot on a more permanent footing.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,947 posts | 453 
      Reply #457: Jan 07, 2024 09:20:52 pm
      That's an amazing result really away to Arsenal with the team we had out against a full strength team totally comitted to the cup tie.

Have to admit I thought we'd bow out today but we rode our luck and carried a threat on the break.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #458: Jan 07, 2024 09:25:05 pm
      Some going on about the chances arse missed first half, 5-6-7 ?
      I made it 2. The rest were brilliantly timed tackles or blocks.
      That’s not missed chances, that’s brilliant defending 👍
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,265 posts | 3503 
      Reply #459: Jan 07, 2024 09:32:11 pm

I like this stat though

Arsenal 0 Liverpool 2

The rest is irrelevant

Quick Reply